Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2012, 02:06 PM   #76
Wargasm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Ok, this is my first Honda, sounds like the pin locators are standard. Went for a 150km trail and fire road ride today and all the switch gear stayed in place so guess my tape method worked. On another note, if you need to adjust spring preload on the rear it's easiest to take the shock right out of the bike. This only requires removal of the top and bottom shock bolts and the rocker/frame pivot bolt. I tried the long punch and hammer method and only succeeded in mushrooming a couple adjuster notches in the lock ring. When it was out I had to use penetrating oils and a proper lock ring spanner which got severely bent in the process and needed straightening. Guess honda doesn't want us making suspension adjustments.
Wargasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:22 PM   #77
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by joec63 View Post
Trying out my new AFX-39. Couldn't resist the Marpat camo!

Nice shot, you liking the helmet?
Old 09-07-2012, 02:30 PM   #78
joec63 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Yeah, nice helmet, Impressed for the price. Wasn't sure I would like the quick release connector but I do.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:20 PM   #79
Earthscape
Have ya got a helmut?

Oddometer: 327
Quote:
Not that it matters much but I've seen different specs for front wheel travel than on the Honda US site. Verified that the travel is closer to 10 in. (250mm) 9.8in to be exact.

http://www.hondamc2013.com/bikes/crf250l/
Good to know. I was wondering why the US version had neutered front travel.
Apparently the marketing department doesn't know that lots of potential buyers scrutinize numbers like these to no end when making a decision on which bike to buy.

2004 KTM 950 ADV : : : : : : : 1998 Triumph Tiger
1999 KTM 640 ADV : : : : : : : 1993 Kawasaki KLX650
2007 Kawasaki KLX350S : : : : 1996 Yamaha XT350
Earthscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:09 PM   #80
strongbad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
I'm not addressing anyone in particular, but what's the problem with two threads? I follow a lot of threads of several different forums. I don't have a problem with the other thread; I still follow it. However, the other thread was centered on the anticipated introduction of the new bike, and speculation about its performance, specifications, et cetera. Now that the bike has arrived and many people own it, it only seems natural for this thread to concentrate on modifications, aftermarket support, et cetera.

Spud
A better question is why more than one thread to follow the same subject? Are folks interested in this bike not allowed to comment unless they are owners? And if so, why? Why not 15 threads all tracking the same subject? All bike-specific threads follow the same progression: the press announcement, discussion between those who dig it and those that don't, then as the bikes start coming in, the discussion turns to problems and solutions, mods, etc. That's a natural progression. There's no need to start multiple threads to cover the same subject.
strongbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:20 PM   #81
joec63 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongbad View Post
A better question is why more than one thread to follow the same subject? Are folks interested in this bike not allowed to comment unless they are owners?
Of course not. Are we making a mountain out of a mole hill ...jeez louise. The word owners has been used multiple times in thread headings in the past so it's not like it set some precedent.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:44 PM   #82
roundtripping
Adventourist

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by strongbad View Post
A better question is why more than one thread to follow the same subject? Are folks interested in this bike not allowed to comment unless they are owners? And if so, why? Why not 15 threads all tracking the same subject? All bike-specific threads follow the same progression: the press announcement, discussion between those who dig it and those that don't, then as the bikes start coming in, the discussion turns to problems and solutions, mods, etc. That's a natural progression. There's no need to start multiple threads to cover the same subject.
If you non-owners weren't following us around like puppies and instead kept the non-owner questions in the other thread there wouldn't be a problem.

My SPOT Tracker
roundtripping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:50 PM   #83
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,617
Quote:
Not that it matters much but I've seen different specs for front wheel travel than on the Honda US site. Verified that the travel is closer to 10 in. (250mm) 9.8in to be exact.

http://www.hondamc2013.com/bikes/crf250l/
That's interesting, joe Why do the two sites have noticeably different travel specs? The one that was for sale a couple of weeks ago at my old shop had the numbers you get on their Honda U.S. site. The one you linked definitely shows a 9.8" front and 9.4" rear which is more. What's the source of your link? It would be interesting to know which one is correct or why the difference.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:10 PM   #84
joec63 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
That's interesting, joe Why do the two sites have noticeably different travel specs? The one that was for sale a couple of weeks ago at my old shop had the numbers you get on their Honda U.S. site. The one you linked definitely shows a 9.8" front and 9.4" rear which is more. What's the source of your link? It would be interesting to know which one is correct or why the difference.

Can't say why the discrepancy for specs listed. The site linked is a Honda Europe site. Also seen this spec listed on a motorcycle mag site, can't recall which one now. Measured my bike and it does check out. I've read this is a world bike so you would think they would all be the same ? *Speculation* Are there bikes being manufactured with different travel numbers and if so, why?
Old 09-07-2012, 05:39 PM   #85
RED1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Can't say why the discrepancy for specs listed. The site linked is a Honda Europe site. Also seen this spec listed on a motorcycle mag site, can't recall which one now. Measured my bike and it does check out. I've read this is a world bike so you would think they would all be the same ? *Speculation* Are there bikes being manufactured with different travel numbers and if so, why?

The australian service manual lists the travel as 222mm/8.7in for front and 240mm/9.4in for the rear.
RED1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:17 PM   #86
bungie4
Frostback

Oddometer: 464
Hell for Leather gets the CRFL dirty

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/20...0r-gets-dirty/

2013 FJR1300, 2004 FJR1300, 2013 CRF250L
I have a job, I explore, I follow every little whiff.
On/Offroad help when you need it - http://www.assistancelist.com
bungie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:25 PM   #87
joec63 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
What’s also surprising is how little Honda changed inside the motor to make it feel so different. Cam profiles are changed, the throttle body is a hair smaller and the exhaust diameter shrinks while length grows, that’s it.
Interesting

Quote:
The 9.8 inches of travel through the non-adjustable, 43mm USD forks and 9.4 inches at the rear was instead soft, but well-damped and positively plush.
There's those numbers again.

Quote:
The big rival here is going to be the WR250R. We’ll make this simple: the Honda CRF250L is 100 percent as capable as the Yamaha WR250R and costs $2,000 less. Yeah…
Sure, the Yamaha makes a staggering 28bhp to the Honda’s 23, but you have to really work the WR to find that performance where the CRF does all the work for you. The Honda 250’s torque defies its capacity and makes the bike easy, fun and capable.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:18 AM   #88
Dirt699
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Hey guys, I am new to this forum. I have been riding dirt bikes for a while and just got a CRF250L which is my first DS. I am a big fan of DIY modding and tinkering around with things so naturally I modded the exhaust with the help of my friend, check it out..

For all of you smokey bears out there I will be installing a spark arrestor in the near future. but overall it woke the bike up a bit and the EFI system seems to cope with it quite well. I want to modd the air box but not sure if I should wait to get a power commander before I go messing around too much. let me know what you gents think

oh yeah, and I can actually hear the bike at speed so I know what my RPMs are aroundabout.
Dirt699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:36 AM   #89
Downstater
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt699 View Post
Hey guys, I am new to this forum. I have been riding dirt bikes for a while and just got a CRF250L which is my first DS. I am a big fan of DIY modding and tinkering around with things so naturally I modded the exhaust with the help of my friend, check it out..

For all of you smokey bears out there I will be installing a spark arrestor in the near future. but overall it woke the bike up a bit and the EFI system seems to cope with it quite well. I want to modd the air box but not sure if I should wait to get a power commander before I go messing around too much. let me know what you gents think

oh yeah, and I can actually hear the bike at speed so I know what my RPMs are aroundabout.
I kept the stock baffle and just cut off the spark arrester but kept the pip long enough to still go into the back baffled plate in the muffler. It really gave the exhaust a nice sound without beig too loud, which is all I was looking for temporarily. And regarding the smokey the bear folks, I dont think any sparks will be able to get past that catalytic converter. Once a decent slip on is available I will be ditching the stock anchor and buying one. I also have talked to bazzaz and they plan on making a programmer for our bikes soon. All they have to do is change the wire lengths on their existing cbr250 programmer and make a new specific map for our bikes.
Downstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:22 AM   #90
Dirt699
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Good to hear, I wanted to take the pipe out to open it up to the other two holes in the baffle plate. it is not too loud either in MHO of course. as far as a new pipe I e-mailed TB and they are working on a pipe for this bad boy. they expect it to be out by the end of the year. but not certain.
Dirt699 is offline   Reply With Quote