Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2012, 05:51 AM   #31
Gunslinger1
GIVE'R

Oddometer: 627
I had a thin futon made 4" I think and laid it on the floor and used that for my bed. After getting use to sleeping on it I would sleep well camping. Your idea is sound and will work. You will get some interesting comments from your guest.
Gunslinger1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:56 PM   #32
V@lentino
Inspektor

Oddometer: 816
Go for Exped

+ 1000 for Exped mats. the down mats are great, switched from the thermarest, and you just can beat Exped. They pack slightly larger than the Thermarest but they are well worth it. Also for pillow, the best I tried is the Nemo, both items combine air, comfortable fabric and a down.

Sleeping bag oversize mummy is a great compromise between real sml mummy and oversize rectangular. Pick one for colder weather than you might think you need (we choose -14C), also in down. For tropical/hot weather we carry a silk liner, they stuff in a V sml pouch and are great if it is too hot for the bag, or alternatively as a liner inside should it get too cold.

The gear available now is so much better then 10-20 years ago, there are lots of choices out there.

The motorcycle chronicles of Jackie & Valentino
The Southern Episode
V@lentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:09 PM   #33
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie Preacher View Post
EXPED. http://www.exped.com/exped/web/exped_homepage_na.nsf

Comfortable and warm for old bones.

I agree.

I use their Airmat Basic Ultralight 7.5. I don't ride a GS, and don't care to. I take the smallest, lightest gear possible [that isn't ridiculous in price]. Exped matches that with a very reasonable cost. This then allows you to actually ride the motorcycle rather then motorhome along. Most people take WAY, WAY too much crap.

The downside to the Ultralight? No, or very little thermal properties. It's cold. My Thermorest Prolite Plus is my next option, but it's quite a bit bigger and heavier. It's much warmer and I think a bit more comfy even though it's thinner.

For a pillow once again if you're going ultra light, nothing beats a stuff sack. Jam your clothes in there and after a few trial runs it can become pretty comfy.

For a bag liner I wasn't impressed with my silk one. In fact I don't use is anymore if I don't have to. I found it to block humidity in making it feel really clammy, even when quite cool. I never had this issue with my cotton and have tested it many times after. It's the silk that makes for a "sticky" feeling sleep.

I find, for the price, these bags are an exceptional value: http://www.montbell.us/products/list.php?p=all&cat_id=5

Their twist stitching stretch is nothing short of genius. Works really, really well. It may not be ideal for cold weather, but for the casual nights it makes it much more enjoyable. They also have ultra light bags that are right up there with the best at a fraction of the cost. I suggest going warmer then +5 which is the one I had on my bike trip (1.5lbs only)

Once again, not everybody goes to the tenting extremes I do. I know people go extreme via tentless, etc, but I find doing a little research like you are doing goes a long way. If you want to take less, and smaller stuff (which everybody SHOULD), there are ways you can save big if you can put up with the results.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! screwed with this post 08-22-2012 at 09:18 PM
Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:50 PM   #34
surferbum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
Thumb

Exped SynMat 7 Pump Sleeping Pad inside a Survivor Asym Universal Camo Hennysee tent hammock with a Kelty Coromell 25* Down Sleeping Bag is a perfect combination. Just finished an 8 day/7night ICT ride with only results.
BT2010 - Big Trip 2010 13 days and ...
My Spot WhereAmIriding
surferbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:42 AM   #35
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,508
sleeping on the ground is easy, it's trying to get back upright the next morning that's the hard part! any quality matress and sleeping bag will serve you well. if you have a backpacking store nearby, they usually have a selection of matresses on display, try them out, lay them on the floor and lay down on each one. find the one that works for YOU.
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:02 PM   #36
lilrascal55
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
its not cheap but the high tech cot from aerostich works great. the terma rest are nice but if not on level ground you end up sliding off during the night or at least i do. with the cot your off the ground so no rocks or cold wet ground and you dont slide around. also a little cooler if the weather is hot.
lilrascal55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:59 PM   #37
2handedSpey
bunned

Oddometer: 237
Btw... I'm not sure how "practicing" and sleeping on the hard floor at home will make you better at it when you go camping.
If anything, it just adds to more nights of poor sleep.

Try getting in better shape. Walk more, stretch more, get healthy. Sleep in your comfy bed as much as you can and have plenty of good rest.

Then, when it's time to go adventuring/travel/camping have a nice Big Agnes sleep system and a decent tent, micro pillow & sleeping bag. Personally, I also set a small 8x8 tarp under my tent to keep out the damp moisture from permeating and making you feel chilled at 4:09am. Just sayin'

Stay flexible, walk every night & eat healthy.

Intentionally getting more crappy sleep only adds to more nights of crappy sleep

2handedSpey screwed with this post 08-30-2012 at 07:41 AM
2handedSpey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 03:04 AM   #38
Tired of You ADV

Oddometer: n/a
gear

I don't know if this is the correct thread for this but....I cam across a new gadget that I'm very interested in and I thought you guys might be into as well.
If you are let me know because I'm thinking on doing a group buy?!

check it out and let me know what you think.www.advgearup.com

Marrakesh Red
Old 09-01-2012, 03:29 PM   #39
sleazy rider
Squidly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of You ADV View Post
I don't know if this is the correct thread for this but....I cam across a new gadget that I'm very interested in and I thought you guys might be into as well.
If you are let me know because I'm thinking on doing a group buy?!

check it out and let me know what you think. URL removed

Marrakesh Red

Wtf does that have to do with sleeping in a camp? Start your own thread.
--Tom IBA #41627
Blog
sleazy rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:42 PM   #40
surferbum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleazy rider View Post
Wtf does that have to do with sleeping in a camp? Start your own thread.
+1

It was a drive-by spamming. Post should deleted.
BT2010 - Big Trip 2010 13 days and ...
My Spot WhereAmIriding
surferbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:17 PM   #41
Bluebone
straight to hell

Oddometer: 2,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by surferbum View Post
+1

It was a drive-by spamming. Post should deleted.
true, looked like a totally useless product.
Bluebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:26 PM   #42
Tired of You ADV

If you cant see the value in the product don't use it.
The Special Ops and Emergency First Responders use it and I use it for camping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBik1...eature=related

Maybe the type of camping you do is different than mine...I like to go off road and isolated places. It should be part of your kit just like a flashlight or a phone. the E/T light stands for Emergency Triage light and it can help a trained crew of first responders find you because they know what to look for....No you know too...
Old 09-07-2012, 06:15 PM   #43
bones_708
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
the product may have it's uses but you are a d-bag. You come on here faking like you give a damn and spamming multiple posts trying to sell your shit. Plenty of people who vend are on this site but most of them show a little respect for the members.
bones_708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:57 PM   #44
Tired of You ADV

I've been an ADV member for many many years and I've met real friends here. To bad that you see it as spam I see it as a valuable product. I am not the owner of the company and I'm not affiliated with the manufacture. I saw value in a group buy. many of my friends on ADV have suggested this for many other products. If you're not interested don't be rude or call me names just say you're not interested.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:44 PM   #45
bones_708
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
if you wanted to start a group buy then that's what you should of done. Right now you look and are acting like a prick. If you don't like that people are getting that impression of you then here is an idea, stop with the behavior that caused them to think that. I can see some uses for the product but since people were talking sleeping bags, pads and other sleeping products your post was totally off point and comes across as spam.
bones_708 is offline   Reply With Quote