Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2012, 06:42 PM   #7636
omnivore
SuperSportTourer

Oddometer: 1,014
Hey y'all. The SMT has the same chassis as the 950 SM no?
Think this would work?
http://www.ktm-parts.com/62112955033.html
1996 YZF 600-Lost Era racebike
1999 R6-Rookie Challenge racebike
omnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:45 PM   #7637
BuckMoto
Adventure Napping

Oddometer: 314
Bailing wire & duct tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowhawk jockey View Post
I MUST look at one of the SE mudflaps for my shock. I have already peppered the thing for too many thousand miles...

Thanks for the suggestion! Beats the bailing wire and ducttape I was going to use
You could start a whole rat rod supermoto trend with bailing wire and duct tape farkles! I saw this bike at a car show several years ago. The dryer vent exhaust is a nice touch!

Old 09-07-2012, 08:22 PM   #7638
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
Think this would work?
just be careful. I lowered a 650L when converting it to SM and the geometry definitely did not work, steered very weird.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:02 PM   #7639
samppa2005
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Here is an old picture of the splash guard. The picture is not very good and i had to chop it a bit since but you get the idea. You can also see it in the pics i posted previously. A couple of things you need to do:

1. Cut off about 5mm from the sides because it rubs on the swingarm. (this is important. Not seen in picture)
2. Make a bracket for the chain guard. I used a piece of PEHD plastic to bend an L-shaped piece.
3. Bolt on the splashguard. If you are lazy just use self tapping screws I made the holes through and put on proper bolts.

Very easy and cheap after all!

As for the oiltank and underbelly there is the KTM/SW-motech "skidplate" you can get. It's expencive though at something like 200. And the design is somewhat suspicious. It's listed for the 990 but i'm 95% certain it'd fit the 950 as well. Can't think of a reason why it wouldn't http://www.ktmtwins.com/ktm-990-supe...o-t-skid-plate
I made a skidplate myself of 10mm PEHD plastic. It's not pretty but neither am i Fairly simple to make.

The thing that some people forget is that a supermoto is supposed to be able to go offroad. the 950/990 SM (not SMT/SMR) have a suspension travel of 200/210mm (front/back) and a standard version adventure has 210/210. So in that respect the only difference is the valving. Other then that it's just making sure things don't break when going offroad (skidplate. headers, .splash guard...). And yes ofcourse the wheel dimensions. Spoked 19/17 wheels would be optimal i think But running the 17/17 is just biasing it to the pavement.

samppa2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:28 PM   #7640
samppa2005
Adventurer

Quote:
Think this would work?

The suspension travel is different. The 950 SM manual says it has a travel of 200/210 and the SMT has only 160/180. So it might not work.Or if it does it'll drop the bike a lot more then that 25mm.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:37 PM   #7641
omnivore
SuperSportTourer

Great. I want 2" of drop!!
I am 5'4" with a 29" inseam.
I used ratchet straps to figure out what I would like for seat height....and at 2" lower than stock I find the bike much more manageable. The height it is now, while right foot is tippy toe, I can't even get near the sidestand to put it up. I have to hop up on the bike, and while it's balanced straight up, quickly drop my left leg and sweep the sidestand up, and hurry to get a foot down before I tip over. Here is a pic to demonstrate just how short I am on it:

I think once I get it as low as I am willing to go, I will have to chop off the pegs and weld them on higher up. I already drag the pegs when riding in the mountains now, even on Bridgestone 023's.

When I forst got the bike it was alot more of an issue. Now I am just used to it the way it is. I am certain it is amusing for others to watch though,LOL. I do however, find two uppping dreadful. Not while riding, it's just the 30 seconds while the passenger gets on. I have such little footing that any "off" movements the passenger makes while getting on, off, or even at a stoplight could have me dropping the bike. Funny thing is that hasn't happened yet, but I don't ride 2 up much on it either.
I would like to start doing more bad pavement, gravel, backroads, and abandoned places int he future, and I think better footing would help. If I sacrfice a little cornering prowess in doing so, oh well, that's what my racebikes are for.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:05 PM   #7642
samppa2005
Adventurer

Have you thought about getting your seat lowered? Or did you already do that? If i recall correctly at least on the 990 versions for example the KTM gel seat is 25mm lower then the stock. If you are already used to the height, lowering the seat might just do the trick without compromising the handling. If you haven't done that i'd look into that first. There are some special lowered seats available (seatconsepts at least ?).
Old 09-07-2012, 10:12 PM   #7643
omnivore
SuperSportTourer

Problem is that the stock seat pan is so high that you can't take much foam out. I think I will get a Corbin, which is supposed to be 3/4" lower than stock, but everyone else who does seats tells me they can't do much with the stock seat and keep it comfy. I don't do short rides. Ever. Minimum, one full day....prefer a weekend to a week. Bike's gotta be comfy.
The SMT seat will not fit onto an SM. Different tank, spoilers, tail etc. I wish it would. I test rode the SMT at Indy and loved the seat....didn't like the FI though, not nearly as smooth as the 950's carbs.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:31 AM   #7644
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,998
Quote:
I'm not 100% positive, but I think the SMT is based on the SE chassis. Not sure how that might change things.
wpbarlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:49 AM   #7645
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,402
Omnivore -
First, Vario makes a footrest "system" that allows 360 degree adjustment and the drop can be controlled with 23mm, 30mm or 50mm adapters.

Second, The first aftermarket seat I bought for my SMR was a Corbin. It wasn't much more comfortable than the stock seat. And, while it was 1/2" or so lower, it was also wider and there was absolutely no difference in reach. I'm 5'5" and have a 29" inseam.

Third: I lowered my 950 Adventure 2" front and back and the only handling problem I saw was dragging the foot pegs. If anything, it handled better and the suspension had the same travel as my SMR. Which by the way, has the same suspension as the SM. The only KTM Supermoto with shorter legs is the SMT.

I spoke to half a dozen suspension shops and they all said that if both ends were lowered at the same time there would be no loss in handling other than that the bike would turn a little quicker. I only had the Adv up to 105 and it was rock solid.

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:48 AM   #7646
samppa2005
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6USMC6 View Post

Third: I lowered my 950 Adventure 2" front and back and the only handling problem I saw was dragging the foot pegs. If anything, it handled better and the suspension had the same travel as my SMR. Which by the way, has the same suspension as the SM. The only KTM Supermoto with shorter legs is the SMT.
Yes i wasn't exact. I was talking about the 990 SMR. The 950 SMR has the longer suspension travel as well. Lowering both ends shouldn't change handling much if it's done correctly.

My thought was that for the 990 sm there used to be a gel seat available that was the same as the stock only with gel instead of foam making it (if i recall 25mm lower). The aftermarket seats are usually made very comfortable and therefore wider as well. The stock with gel inside would be narrow, at least as comfortable as the stock and a bit lower. I'm sure someone has tried that and can say something about it.

Honestly i'm dreaming of longer suspension travel and a higher bike so i shouldn't say anything about lowering a bike I'll shut about that now.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:00 PM   #7647
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,402
I should have added to the seat comments:

When I had my SMR I tried Corbin - 1/2" lower but wider; Renazco - 1/2" lower but nearly as uncomfortable as the stock seat; Bill Meyer - 1/2" lower but wider and outstanding comfort. I've ridden 500 miles in a day and only got off the bike to pee.

I have a Russell on my Beemer right now and the Bill Meyer was every bit as comfortable as the Russell.

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:53 PM   #7648
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,360
Quote:
Problem is that the stock seat pan is so high that you can't take much foam out. I think I will get a Corbin, which is supposed to be 3/4" lower than stock, but everyone else who does seats tells me they can't do much with the stock seat and keep it comfy. I don't do short rides. Ever. Minimum, one full day....prefer a weekend to a week. Bike's gotta be comfy.
The SMT seat will not fit onto an SM. Different tank, spoilers, tail etc. I wish it would. I test rode the SMT at Indy and loved the seat....didn't like the FI though, not nearly as smooth as the 950's carbs.
I think Seat Concepts will make you a lower seat but with firmer foam. My firm foam SC seat is very comfortable. Corbin seats are hit or miss, the one on my 650L is an all day rider, the one on my Buell I almost gave away, $100. Like 6USMC6 says, they lower it and then make the seat top square and wide and you feel even further from the ground.

KHVol screwed with this post 09-09-2012 at 02:25 AM
KHVol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:01 PM   #7649
BuckMoto
Adventure Napping

Oddometer: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by samppa2005 View Post
Here is an old picture of the splash guard. The picture is not very good and i had to chop it a bit since but you get the idea. You can also see it in the pics i posted previously. A couple of things you need to do:

1. Cut off about 5mm from the sides because it rubs on the swingarm. (this is important. Not seen in picture)
2. Make a bracket for the chain guard. I used a piece of PEHD plastic to bend an L-shaped piece.
3. Bolt on the splashguard. If you are lazy just use self tapping screws I made the holes through and put on proper bolts.

Very easy and cheap after all!

As for the oiltank and underbelly there is the KTM/SW-motech "skidplate" you can get. It's expencive though at something like 200. And the design is somewhat suspicious..
Thanks for posting the pic and modification tips. I'm going to order an SE splash guard tomorrow! The plow front shape of the SW-Motech skidplate looks all wrong for dirt -an instant endo waiting to happen.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:09 PM   #7650
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckMoto View Post
Thanks for posting the pic and modification tips. I'm going to order an SE splash guard tomorrow! The plow front shape of the SW-Motech skidplate looks all wrong for dirt -an instant endo waiting to happen.
I am happy to see the mudflap and instructions!
Thanks muchly!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHVol
.....hope you guys don't bust your butts trying to make the SM into a dirt bike....when I did this to a couple of much lighter, actual, SM's ( using MT-60's) they skated all over the place with only marginally more traction in the dirt. It was more like downhill skiing instead of dirtbikin' .

The tires lasted about 1800 miles.

Good luck
That skating feeling on dirt roads from the MT60's on my 450SMR was what told me there was potential to develop a 950SM into a slider!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnivore
Think this would work?
Omnivore, that lower kit looks to be the shizz, and CHEAP! To include dampening rod$, fork spring$ and a shock $pring for $379?? A dampening rod is $780+, for one... I will be researching that. If it is compatible with our suspension, I am getting one! I don't want it for the ground access, rather for the handling change it might offer for lateral riding.

edit to add:
Don't forget to order fork seals if you get the lowering kit!

snowhawk jockey screwed with this post 09-09-2012 at 04:39 PM
snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote