Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2012, 12:36 PM   #1096
jar944
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
Riding in dirt is a young man's game - not a guy ready for retirement with the brittle bones, etc.
Tell that to the 70yr old + riders

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4aGO8yEFfY

Or the 55+ year old riders

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THFcfYXwPJI
jar944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:41 PM   #1097
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by jar944 View Post
Tell that to the 70yr old + riders

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4aGO8yEFfY

Or the 55+ year old riders

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THFcfYXwPJI
This is about STARTING riding. These guys STARTED riding dirt at 55+?
Old 09-08-2012, 07:04 AM   #1098
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,547
Quote:
This is about STARTING riding. These guys STARTED riding dirt at 55+?
No. They started riding on dirt which made them better riders on road and allowed for them to survive the riding on road long enough to enjoy riding off road while they are older.

Because learning to ride OFF road (at any age) makes you a better/safer rider on road.

DAKEZ screwed with this post 09-08-2012 at 07:34 AM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:27 AM   #1099
JDK111
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Quote:
You are dead bang wrong, here fellow. .
Nope - he's exactly correct.
You need to think a little about (and understand) exactly what he said..... it will probably make you a safer driver/boater/pilot.
JDK111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:50 AM   #1100
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Because learning to ride OFF road (at any age) makes you a better/safer rider on road.
Assuming we are still talking about an overall riding n00b. You are dead on sir. Riding dirt at any age teaches you more about throttle/brake control, and how YOUR inputs affect how your bike will handle than any number of miles on the street. Not to say you should take your Ultra Classic for a cruise over Ophir Pass.
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:22 AM   #1101
Mike_drz
Banned

Oddometer: 402
don't worry, have faith in god
Mike_drz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:40 PM   #1102
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,146
Has anyone taken a stab at condensing this thread into a document that was reasonably concise that could be passed on to n00b riders?

One of my best friend's daughter just got a bike ... she's got a good head on her shoulders, has taken the MSF class

I think a condensed version of this thread would do her a world of good............
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:09 AM   #1103
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Contribution.... one way streets...

So I'm not a n00b, but we've all got a little n00b waiting to get out and cause us grief some day...
I nearly got myself clocked a few days back - here's how it went:

I think in my entire life of motorcycling I've only ridden in areas with one-way streets a handful of times...
I don't ride in metro areas much at all, and they are just not very common where I live...

The other day, it was one of those rare occasions where I was riding on a downtown metro street.
I was in the right "curb" lane of what was a two lane one-way street.
I needed to make a left turn "across" traffic I looked ahead and there was no on-coming traffic

I started to make a left and fortunately checked my mirrors and realized ...
whew ... I damned near blew there...
as there was indeed a vehicle in the left lane that was on a path to overtake me....

I hope this plants the seed of "extra awareness" for other riders like myself that don't have much experience with one-way sections of tarmac....

JRWooden screwed with this post 10-01-2012 at 09:40 AM
Old 10-01-2012, 06:58 PM   #1104
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
Has anyone taken a stab at condensing this thread into a document that was reasonably concise that could be passed on to n00b riders?

One of my best friend's daughter just got a bike ... she's got a good head on her shoulders, has taken the MSF class

I think a condensed version of this thread would do her a world of good............

Already done. It is called Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough
Old 10-01-2012, 07:24 PM   #1105
Ahboon
Re-Cycled

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post

Agreed - and I guess you don't mean a book you have to go out and buy but a well editied collection of the positive input, free on this web-site. Also elimiating the pointless, endless arguments about "dirt" verses "tarmac". ALL two wheeled experience is valuable.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:23 AM   #1106
woolsocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
passing clusters of cars

Ok, I need some help with an issue that Ive been having.

I tend to like to go faster than traffic by about 5 to 10 mph. No one here follows the left lane rule (keep right, pass left) which means we get long lines of traffic in the left lane, a few cars in the middle lane and long lines of traffic in the right lane. Im in the left lane behind the long line of cars and Im passing cars in the middle lane. It takes people forever to pass in the left lane, so I switch to the middle lane and throttle to the front, shoot the gap and get out of the wayI do this frequently, but it makes me nervous when Im gunning down the middle lane since I dont really leave myself an out. I feel the need to really open the throttle to gtfo of the cluster of cars which means I am going really fast to get away. I feel fine going that fast, but I get worried about cars cutting over. The cars from the right lane who want to speed up tend to want to move over to the middle lane, or people merging into traffic force the cars in the right lane to move to the middle lane because most people suck royally at merging around here. I could sit in the left lane behind the long line of cars and just wait it out, but oftentimes it takes minutes for the cars in the left lane to pass the cars in the middle lane and I dont like sitting with the cars. Any advice?
woolsocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:31 AM   #1107
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,120
Wool,

I"m in the same situation as you and also concerned about just the things you are too. My solution isn't ideal but it's what I got. I shoot the middle fast enough that even if cars started to move into the middle lane, I'd not be there when they finally lumbered into where I'd been.

My general rule for road survival is to not be where a car can get you even if he's aiming - from a sideswipe sense. Since I note that cages tend to clump up, I can usually shoot into the gap between clumps and ride there.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:33 AM   #1108
swann
Just practicing...

Oddometer: 275
Wow DAKEZ, I thought your anecdote was going to have a totally different ending. Woohoo!

Believe you can and you're halfway there. ~ Theodore Roosevelt
swann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:50 AM   #1109
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by woolsocks View Post
. Any advice?

Speed doesn't kill. High speed differentials kill. So yes, I have advice -- stop blasting down the empty lane at speeds significantly higher than surrounding traffic. You're right to be nervous of somebody cutting over suddenly. I'm surprised you haven't been hit already.

If there is traffic, deal with it intelligently -- don't freak out and twist the throttle to "GTFO" of the situation.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:15 PM   #1110
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahboon View Post
Agreed - and I guess you don't mean a book you have to go out and buy but a well editied collection of the positive input, free on this web-site. Also elimiating the pointless, endless arguments about "dirt" verses "tarmac". ALL two wheeled experience is valuable.
I've read Proficient Motorcycling and may get her a copy of that book also, but yeah the wisdom of this forum is typically in nice "distilled down" bite-sized pieces (well except for the dirt/tarmac stuff ) and would lend its self to a format something like the horoscope of the day, or calendar with the zen saying on it .... most of the contributions here are typically short and to the point ...

e.g. today's N00B wisdom:

Wet railroad tracks are slippery as hell, cross them as close to 90 degrees as possible.
Wet manhole covers and leaves can suck also.