Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2012, 12:02 AM   #361
ar1814
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
The second one looks better IMO. But still a road bike...
ar1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:17 AM   #362
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by ar1814 View Post
. But still a road bike...
but way way more dirt bike/dirt road cruiser than s1o, multi, and the behemoth triumph. And way more road bike than the smaller tiger and beemer. Given the weight is the same as the 990 it may be very similar to it aside from the engine
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:03 AM   #363
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by MookieBlaylock View Post
... Given the weight is the same as the 990 it may be very similar to it aside from the engine
Cut it out-- the whiners are having fun with it.
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:16 AM   #364
Boredsurfer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
I like it too...

... looks great to me. As for the wheel size, maybe KTM is going to follow the Tiger 800XC route and offer 2 different models? - one "road" version with a 19, and a "dirtier" version with the 21"?

I myself doubt it though... this new release 1290 seems to follow that dealer meeting product line pdf from a while back:

a) this is the 1290 to compete for the GS/Multistrada crowd.
b) an updated 990 with "1090" internals will be released later with a more dirt focus. (However with their new 1290, this idea may be hard to justify seeing how much overlap there would be between these 2 models - maybe the rumored "unicorn 700cc - 850cc" dual-sport would be the viable segment to go after instead).

Who knows - I certainly don't. Can't wait till october.
Boredsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:11 PM   #365
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,601
Is this the begining of the end for hardcore adventure bikes from KTM, they've already ditched the 640/690 adv? They might go the way of the japs and just produce dirt bikes and soft adv/ road bikes
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:15 PM   #366
Balsta
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Do you think one will be able to order one with the true 180 hp motor from the supersport model?

About the tire alternatives, what about ordering both sets? Easy switching from road to dirt and vice versa would make sense.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:12 PM   #367
Taurkon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 600
Here is a link to a German review of the bike. Use the Google translator (or any translator) to read it in English.

http://www.motorradonline.de/news/kt...-enduro/421395

Highlights that stand out to me in no specific order:

1. 150 hp - Article seems to indicate there is a feature to lower hp to 100 when required.
2. Traction Control (manage that 150hp in the dirt)
3. 510lbs WET with a 24L fuel tank
4. Oil window

The one thing I don't like is the drive by wire similar to the Multistrata. I prefer something I can fix in the middle of nowhere.

2007 KTM 300 XCW

Taurkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:19 PM   #368
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balsta View Post
About the tire alternatives, what about ordering both sets? Easy switching from road to dirt and vice versa would make sense.
Speaking of tires...I want to see what kind of 21 & 18 tire combo can manage 150hp on tarmac and still be decent off road. Is there such thing?

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Jaimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:34 AM   #369
gkaan
Bikes on the Brain

Oddometer: 512
I must be target customer for this bike.

it appears this bike is directly targeted to compete with the MTS1200, Triumph explorer and upcoming watercooled R1200GS. I'm sure it will have typical KTM attributes which means top shelf components, agile handling and be more dirt worthy than those competitiors. im ok if it is less offroad capable than the current ADV as i already have more dirt oriented options and what i really want is a tall comfortabe bike that is great all rounder......with big power. Im curious to see what tires / wheel packages will be offered but with WP suspension and a 150HP motor im 100% certain this bike is going to be better than either the triumph or GS for my needs. its going to come down to this vs the MTS1200.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurkon View Post
Here is a link to a German review of the bike. Use the Google translator (or any translator) to read it in English.

http://www.motorradonline.de/news/kt...-enduro/421395

Highlights that stand out to me in no specific order:

1. 150 hp - Article seems to indicate there is a feature to lower hp to 100 when required.
2. Traction Control (manage that 150hp in the dirt)
3. 510lbs WET with a 24L fuel tank
4. Oil window

The one thing I don't like is the drive by wire similar to the Multistrata. I prefer something I can fix in the middle of nowhere.
gkaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:52 AM   #370
SonnyCooL
n00b

Oddometer: 2
english version : http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bike...0-adventure-r/

i find it abit awkward that adventure bike come with somany electronic gadget ? how we going to fix it when we middle of no where ????
SonnyCooL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:40 AM   #371
wilmar13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCooL View Post
english version : http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bike...0-adventure-r/

i find it abit awkward that adventure bike come with somany electronic gadget ? how we going to fix it when we middle of no where ????
I kinda wish I would have waited to buy this instead of my RC8R. One thing for sure, this is a peach of an engine. The same reasons the RC8R gets beaten up by the sportbike mags that crave top end rush, make this a great power plant for this bikes intended use. Huge midrange grunt and perfect fueling, this is the best EFI bike I have ever ridden.

Now for my speculation: there will not be any 1090 or 1290, never was. It was just a feeler and/or a bit of misinformation to mess with competition (j/k).

And the ABS as explained in the link finally makes sense! Thank you for a mode that allows minimal front slip with no rear wheel ABS as an option for those that actually know how to ride motorcycles. It's about time ABS was used as performance enhancer and not a bureaucrats edict to protect people from themselves while paradoxically making them less safe when used by a competent user in its intended use.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:08 AM   #372
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,604
Could that be a single fuel cap in those pics??? Hallelujah. Have to say its growing on me. I still would prefer a 690 Adventure though.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:24 AM   #373
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,075
Ugh. 150 HP? Really?

If they had asked, update the 990 with lighter SOHC heads based on the new EXC/SXF, drop 50 or 75 lbs and 95 HP is already more than enough. An easier to access air filter/heads/oil changes, a single fuel tank that maybe extended under the seat/subframe to make it thinner up front. After a decade the engine could have been cast cases like the new dirtbikes too, lighter, stronger.

If I wanted a BMW/Ducati/Triumph I'd just buy one.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:30 PM   #374
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmar13 View Post
It's about time ABS was used as performance enhancer and not a bureaucrats edict to protect people from themselves while paradoxically making them less safe when used by a competent user in its intended use.

I'm always trying to learn more about english language. I'll save this phrase to discuss it with my english teacher!
PS: I agree

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Jaimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:48 PM   #375
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
Ugh. 150 HP? Really?
If they had asked, update the 990 with lighter SOHC heads based on the new EXC/SXF, drop 50 or 75 lbs and 95 HP is already more than enough. An easier to access air filter/heads/oil changes, a single fuel tank that maybe extended under the seat/subframe to make it thnner up front. After a decade the engine could have been cast cases like the new dirtbikes too, lighter, stronger.

If I wanted a BMW/Ducati/Triumph I'd just buy one.
And if they would have asked how to take 75 pounds off without weakening the bike while. keeping the cost under $40k?

I don't want a BMW/Ducati/Triumph/MG/Yamaha: but I could be interested in a KTM version of them.
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote