Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2012, 05:04 PM   #14236
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Oh wow! Thanks, for all that.

While demo riding the 800, I got to looking at a TE250 and talking about the new 650s coming down the line. I thought if only I could get a Husky to be more distance-worthy, I might just keep my Tiger 1050. I do have KLR lust, but, want something that's lighter and the 800 could fill both roles. Considered a WRR, too. My buddy has a TE310 and 640 Adventure, so I'll have to see what the future holds. Thanks, again.
Man, you're all over the board there. You need to ride some of those on your list, that would probaby help you take some off your shortlist. Especially the KLR. Nothing screams noob louder than a KLR. And they are REALLY slowwwwww.

The TE250 is a great trailbike for a smaller rider. For the same bike with a little more poop, the TE310 or KTM350.

One of the best plated dirtbikes ever made is the KTM 450EXC. Even as far back as '01, they are great bikes. But they are a plated dirtbike, not an over the road bike.

The TE630 will do lots of miles, on and offroad, but not with the comfort of the 800XC. I didn't buy 800 with the thought of doing a lot of dirt with it, certainly not with the husky in the garage as well.

The 640 is also a very good dualsport, better for road than the lighter bikes. The 690 is very good too, but too many problems with them for my taste. Some guys will put up with all that finicky BS. Same for the 990 - great bike, too fussy for me. There are just too many problems with KTM EFI. The tiger OTH, is super smooth.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:21 PM   #14237
spewler
Not (w)reckless

Oddometer: 103
markbvt, how do you like the DrySpec bags, how long have you had them, and how are they holding up? I bought the Twisted Throttle tail bag in June of 2011 and it is already starting to fall apart.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:47 PM   #14238
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by spewler View Post
markbvt, how do you like the DrySpec bags, how long have you had them, and how are they holding up? I bought the Twisted Throttle tail bag in June of 2011 and it is already starting to fall apart.
Ortlieb. Cheap, good, huge variety of sizes. Did I say they cost less than the 'brands'?
The roll-tops are really watertight. But they have the duffel styles too. BTW, we have a line on the latter stye, new company, half the $$.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:43 AM   #14239
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by spewler View Post
I like the roll top design on those, but they don't have the bullet proof design that Kriega has. Love mine!
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:03 PM   #14240
Vzuke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Highway Pegs on a Tiger???

It's official, I'm old. I just installed some highway pegs and I like it!

I did a shake down run today and the pegs are rather comfy.

These are from Rivco Products INC. There wasn't a large selection in the 1" tube mount. 1 1/4" seems to be the popular crash.....er engine guard size.

I liked these because of the black powder coating and they even have anti-vibration rubber inserts!

Lots of adjustment possibilities.

Vzuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:38 PM   #14241
Vzuke
Gnarly Adventurer

My Touring Rig

Looks like a rolling advert for Wolfman luggage!
I've had the tail bag for a year and it did well so.......

Old 09-08-2012, 08:52 PM   #14242
Vzuke
Gnarly Adventurer

One last thing.

I finally got around to removing the U lock bosses from inside the "trunk".

I used a Dremel cut off wheel and sanding wheel to take it down as close as I could.
Then I used a razor blade to shave the remainder off.
Be careful to keep the blade level so it doesn't bite too deep into the fender.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:56 PM   #14243
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vzuke View Post
I finally got around to removing the U lock bosses from inside the "trunk".
A Kriega tool roll and a set of two tire irons + a rag fit perfectly in that space:

cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:31 PM   #14244
invicta1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
Exactly what I put on. As you say, not a lot of choice (the triumph engine bars are less than 1" actually). And they don't extend far enough to be really comfortable, but they do add a nice change up for positions on long rides, no regrets, pretty cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vzuke View Post
It's official, I'm old. I just installed some highway pegs and I like it!

I did a shake down run today and the pegs are rather comfy.

These are from Rivco Products INC. There wasn't a large selection in the 1" tube mount. 1 1/4" seems to be the popular crash.....er engine guard size.

I liked these because of the black powder coating and they even have anti-vibration rubber inserts!

Lots of adjustment possibilities.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:34 PM   #14245
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by invicta1 View Post
Exactly what I put on. As you say, not a lot of choice (the triumph engine bars are less than 1" actually).
How did you mount them? I just checked in the garage and I'm not certain where I would mount them on the Triumph bars so that I could actually use them properly.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:52 AM   #14246
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,926
Question Handguard Question?

The stock handguards don't offer much in the way of weather protection, and I haven't found any "spoilers" or extensions for the factory ones.
The bike has a Kaoko throttle lock installed and I was wondering if there are any other handguards (Barkbusters, touratech, etc) that will work with the Koako and give better protection in a blizzard?
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:07 AM   #14247
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
The stock handguards don't offer much in the way of weather protection, and I haven't found any "spoilers" or extensions for the factory ones.
The bike has a Kaoko throttle lock installed and I was wondering if there are any other handguards (Barkbusters, touratech, etc) that will work with the Koako and give better protection in a blizzard?
What about Tiger 1050 or Explorer guards? As they're Triumph stuff they should fit straight onto the 800 bars.
I got the 1050 ones on mine....

Excellent weather protection and even though I've fallen off and over a few times they haven't broken.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:17 AM   #14248
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
I am in the same boat here, I need to get some hand guards for pretection. I hit a tree here about 6 weeks ago and shattered the left side hand guard. I need something to protect the clutch lever and hopefully my hands. I am leaning toware HDB or Cycra guards but just have not made up my mind. I had the HDB guards on a different bike and I like them, I just don't like the price. The Cycra guards I run on my 450 and they have paid for themselves many times over. I will search this thread for the highway dirt bike guards, I think someone already put a material list together. If someone finds it before I do, please post the page it is on. The search feature is not friendly to me on this forum.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:35 AM   #14249
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,987
Seems if you would consider swapping the hand guards, one should go with ones that will actually protect the levers? They aren't only for offroad. I snapped a clutch lever on Uly doing something anyone could do. Proper hand guards would've kept me from having to ride home 150 miles with 1.5" of lever
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:39 AM   #14250
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
What about Tiger 1050 or Explorer guards? As they're Triumph stuff they should fit straight onto the 800 bars.
I got the 1050 ones on mine....
Has it been confirmed the Explorer guards will fit an 800? I I know the 1050s do with use of a different bar end thing (or some different part).
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote