ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2012, 06:46 PM   #1201
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVNCW View Post
If only Mission Cr caught on fire...that would get the road fixed quick!
I'm in Brender Canyon, by the fairgrounds, and there's a smoke plume south of here that looks like it might be in Sand Creek or thereabouts. You might get your (our) wish.
That area needs to be logged. Timber's so thick in there that if it ever catches fire, it'll be like '94 again. There'll be no stopping it until snow falls.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:05 PM   #1202
ADVNCW
Banned

Oddometer: 341
WABDR will likely be affected this week by the fires.

Lightning Strikes Sept 8-9 Wenatchee Valley

Above Wenatchee No 1 and No 2 Cyn are burning, 179 homes on Level 3 evacuation, flames visible from town. On the drive home from work I saw flames perhaps above Sand Cr- for those who do not know that is between Cashmere and 9712 that goes through Haney Mdw. As well I heard of a fire north of Hwy 2 in Williams Canyon near Dryden- not far from Nahahum and Chumstick.

Hopefully the fire involves the roaded and logged areas and leaves the old growth in Devils Gulch, above 9712 and Tronsen Ridge untouched. I logged in Sand Cr on Longview land in the 80s, there is a lot of doghair timber up there. Talk of '94 makes me queasy! In '94 I was helping evacuate friends in Cashmere by the Fairground and looked up at fire coming down Brender. The fire ran in 4 hrs from Tumwater, over Icicle Ridge, through Icicle (10 homes burned) over Wedge and across 97 (13 homes- poof, and a guy I knew stood on his roof and saved his home using a garden hose) up and across and down into the drainages such as Brender. That night, after a day of moving friends from various parts of the County out of the way of fire, I stood in Leavenworth and watched the old growth torch off across Icicle Ridge, Snow Cr, etc...

QUOTE=1911fan;19557792]I'm in Brender Canyon, by the fairgrounds, and there's a smoke plume south of here that looks like it might be in Sand Creek or thereabouts. You might get your (our) wish.
That area needs to be logged. Timber's so thick in there that if it ever catches fire, it'll be like '94 again. There'll be no stopping it until snow falls.

1911fan[/QUOTE]

ADVNCW screwed with this post 09-09-2012 at 09:36 PM
ADVNCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:57 PM   #1203
iJabberwocky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Fires near FS 9712 and many other spots

It's hard to see in the pic but we counted 14 different fires. They grew real fast in a very short time, those winds forecasted aren't going make the firefighters job very easy. Stay safe fire crews.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:05 PM   #1204
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,957
Yes, hope they stay safe too. Just heard 60+ fires going in that area right now
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:20 PM   #1205
crash a-ron
mmm...burnt steel

Oddometer: 318
Lightning and fires!

We spent our last night of vacation at the Poplar Flats campground off Twisp river road. Didn't get much sleep- that was a pretty intense lightning storm! My best wishes go to all the folks still out there and the firefighters working their asses off.
1995 VMC sidecarcross rig
Seattle, Washington
crash a-ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:18 AM   #1206
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Quote:

I looked for that map yesterday but could not find it. Link please?

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:14 PM   #1207
michaelyogi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
WABDR will likely be affected this week by the fires.

Above Wenatchee No 1 and No 2 Cyn are burning, 179 homes on Level 3 evacuation, flames visible from town. On the drive home from work I saw flames perhaps above Sand Cr- for those who do not know that is between Cashmere and 9712 that goes through Haney Mdw. As well I heard of a fire north of Hwy 2 in Williams Canyon near Dryden- not far from Nahahum and Chumstick.

Hopefully the fire involves the roaded and logged areas and leaves the old growth in Devils Gulch, above 9712 and Tronsen Ridge untouched. I logged in Sand Cr on Longview land in the 80s, there is a lot of doghair timber up there. Talk of '94 makes me queasy! In '94 I was helping evacuate friends in Cashmere by the Fairground and looked up at fire coming down Brender. The fire ran in 4 hrs from Tumwater, over Icicle Ridge, through Icicle (10 homes burned) over Wedge and across 97 (13 homes- poof, and a guy I knew stood on his roof and saved his home using a garden hose) up and across and down into the drainages such as Brender. That night, after a day of moving friends from various parts of the County out of the way of fire, I stood in Leavenworth and watched the old growth torch off across Icicle Ridge, Snow Cr, etc...

I'm in Brender Canyon, by the fairgrounds, and there's a smoke plume south of here that looks like it might be in Sand Creek or thereabouts. You might get your (our) wish.

1911fan

Just came out from Boiling Lake, which is off of the Foggy Dew area. Fire in the South Fork of Gold Creek... level 3 evac... can't get through there for a while, work around would be Mc Farland Creek or Black Canyon. Better yet stay away, crazy, lightning strikes every where. This is a pic of the fire above my house as seen from Horsehead Pass this AM... big plume over the ridge from my house right now. So Benson Creek is also threatened...
Old 09-11-2012, 12:31 PM   #1208
hayshaker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
Heads UP!

U.S. FOREST SERVICE FIRE UPDATE
Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest
215 Melody Lane
Wenatchee, WA 98801

...For immediate release: September 10, 2012
Contacts: Elka Missal, Public Information, 509-682-4900

Chelan and Entiat Ranger District Fire Update

Chelan/Entiat— The weekend lightning storm left its mark throughout the Okanogan Wenatchee National Forest. The Entiat and Chelan Ranger Districts are currently focusing resources on two major fires between the districts out of the 65 reported fires across the forest.

The Byrd Canyon Fire located north of the city of Entiat along SR97A is the largest and most visible fire in the area. Currently estimated at 7,000 acres, the Byrd Fire is actively burning in grass and brush moving north towards. High winds and light flashy fuels have driven this fire from Byrd Canyon to the Knapp Coulee road near the city of Chelan. Much of the smoke in the Lake Chelan Basin is drifting in from this fire.

Law enforcement has contacted residence in the following areas for Evacuations notices:
Downey Canyon- Level One
SR 971 Navarre Coulee Road (east side) – Level 2
SR 971 Navarre Coulee Road (west side) - Level 3
SR 97- A Tunnel to Davis Canyon- Level 3
SR97-A from Byrd Canyon to SR971- Level 3

Road closures are also in place for public and firefighter safety in the following areas:
SR 97-A is closed from SR971 to South Shore Road cutoff, Chelan
Forest Service Roads- Crum Canyon, Oklahoma Gulch and FS road 8401

First Creek fire is located in an old fire scar from the 1994 fires, along the ridge of First Creek above the Lake Chelan State Park. The fire is primarily burning in brush and timber with occasional roll out due to the steep terrain. Visible from the city of Chelan, the First Creek fire is estimated at 15 acres with about 30 personnel on scene including a helicopter delivering water drops to priority areas on the fire. Retardant has also been utilized today on this fire to control progression.
Law Enforcement has contacted residence in the Granite Falls Creek and First Creek for a Level 1 evacuation.

A Type 1 Incident Management team has been ordered and will arrive this evening to assume control of these fires.

For fire information contact Chelan Ranger District (509)-682-4900, or Entiat Ranger District (509)784-4700

TONY

George, WA
hayshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:27 PM   #1209
bc_seattle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
WABDR = amazingness

AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME!!!

Arek and I finished WABDR on Sunday. A truly amazing trip. We were camping in Winthrop Sat night after finishing the route and heard the thunder/lightening during the night that has started another rash of fires. Bummer.

Uller - thanks for the heads up on the logging / silt / ruts south of Hwy. 20. Super helpful.

Met many cool ADV riders. Briefly talked to some of the NJ crew in the Packwood area. Met some cool dudes from Wisconsin, one of which has an all wheel drive KTM 990 Adventure. Had a purple hearted army medic join us for part of section three. Loaned some stuff to Monte, a madman from Alaska that was hauling ass on a 250. Talked to a rider blowing some steam on top of one of the amazing ridges about parenting teen-age boys. Met some great nurses camped at Chopaka Lake (section 6) give Arek a inflatable pad for his Husky 610 (talk about a seat made of wood), cookies, and some of their husband's smoked salmon after we shared some map information. Great, great people all along the route.

Willcasp - good talking to you on the route and sorry about your R1200GS.

I also want to give a huge thank you to Bryce Stevens (advrider alias = SeattleTrails) who was the instigator and author of the WABDR (see post #34). While certainly not the first to ride WA from Oregon to Canada via dirt rides, he came up with the idea of established the current route and worked with the Overland Society to make this happen. WABDR is a non-profit venture, sponsors defer the costs. Touratech is the lead sponsor. THANK YOU BRYCE!!!

The GPS tracks and Butler Maps are awesome. We also brought detailed Forest service maps as a back up. I'd recommend buying two of the Butler Maps. Use one for the big picture… use the second one to cut out the detailed section maps on the back. I was always struggling to fold the huge map correctly to put it in my tank bag. It would have been much simpler to have one of the maps cut up.

Thanks everyone for the great info. Sorry to hear about the additional fires… looks like we timed it perfectly.

Enjoy. I did.

For anyone curious as to what the tread pattern of a Heidenau Scout looks like. No I can't really say how I ended up like this:

bc_seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:39 PM   #1210
Stromius
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Ah yes... wash out section of FS 7100 . But good times right

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc_seattle View Post
For anyone curious as to what the tread pattern of a Heidenau Scout looks like. No I can't really say how I ended up like this:

Past: 1969 Yamaha CT1, CL125, KLR 650 Barbie
Present:
Stromius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:48 PM   #1211
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

E'berg-Cashmere leg a NO-GO!

From the USFS website:

Table Mountain Area Closure
Released: 4 hrs. ago

Staffed road blocks are placed at Blewett Pass SnoPark, the junction of Forest Road 3500 and 3507 (on the Reecer side), on the 120 spur road (near Snowshoe ridge out of Liberty, and the junction of Forest Roads 9711 and 9712 (northwest of the town of Liberty).

So the Ellensburg-Cashmere route is a no-go, especially since the north end of it (FS7100/Mission Creek) is also on fire south of Cashmere and the pavement is closed a few miles north of the 7100/Sand Creek junction:

Increase in fire behavior in the three fires burning in the Mission Creek drainage have caused a Level 3 evacuation notification for 54 residences on Mission Creek Road from the Shelton Christmas Tree Farm to the national forest boundary.

The tree farm is maybe halfway from Cashmere to the end of pavement. Level 3 is "Get out, and we won't let you back until the fire's out. Pack your shit and go!" Also bad since we're still mid-harvest and there are tons of apples and pears, in many cases my friend's livelihoods, that need to be picked. I've offered what help I can.

This sucks. It's my backyard, playground, riding area, hunting area.....Fuck. There's been no information on the "three fires burning in Mission Creek" at all, and they are the most critical IMHO. One's in Devil's Gulch somewhere and may have been 50+ acres on Sunday. The other two, Bog knows. If the Forest Circus knows, they're not saying.

I bet the washout's fixed though.

From the Wenatchee World site:
Buy this photo
World photo/Dee Riggs
Nita Miller hopes that the orchard property that she owns with her husband, Sherel, will protect their home from fire up Mission Creek Road.

Nita Miller, who owns orchards up Mission Creek with her husband, Sherel, said she hoped that the green belt of the orchards would protect their home. “I think we’ll be safe unless something flies across the road and gets onto something,” she said. “My husband is ready to turn the sprinklers on whenever that fire gets close.”
Despite warnings from firefighters, she said she didn’t think she or her husband would leave the property.
“He won’t go, so I’m not going,” she said. “I’ve always said, ‘If we’re going to go, we’ll go together.’ “
Paul Rohrbach, the Chelan County sheriff’s deputy who made the call to put the upper Mission Creek area on Level 3, said he was worried about residents becoming trapped. The back side of Mission Creek Road is full of fire, he said, leaving the down side as the only escape route.
Fire was burning above the homes and he said he was concerned that rolling debris would start the lower area on fire and then people couldn’t get out.
Near the roadblock, Rohrbach stopped a motorcyclist who was coming down Mission Creek Road. The man, who was from British Columbia, said he had come in on a back road near Table Mountain out of Ellensburg and made it through the fire area to Mission Creek Road, uninjured and, the motorcyclist said, without seeing a road closed sign.
Rohrbach marveled at the man’s luck.
“He said ‘The fire was right there at my feet — I was dodging flames,’ ” Rohrbach said.

Nita and Sherel are the parents of two of my friends, one of whom lives just downcanyon (north) of their orchard, and I bet that was the last guy through the WABDR for a while.

1911fan

1911fan screwed with this post 09-12-2012 at 05:59 AM
Old 09-11-2012, 09:59 PM   #1212
bc_seattle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
bummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
From the USFS website:

The tree farm is maybe halfway from Cashmere to the end of pavement. Level 3 is "Get out, and we won't let you back until the fire's out. Pack your shit and go!" Also bad since we're still mid-harvest and there are tons of apples and pears, in many cases my friend's livelihoods, that need to be picked. I've offered what help I can.

This sucks. It's my backyard, playground, riding area, hunting area.....Fuck. There's been no information on the "three fires burning in Mission Creek" at all, and they are the most critical IMHO. One's in Devil's Gulch somewhere and may have been 50+ acres on Sunday. The other two, Bog knows...
1911fan - sorry I missed you... timing didn't work out and we cruised through Cashmere overnighting further down the route. You have a great backyard. Sorry about your friend's farm/harvest situation and the whole fire situation in general.

Anything we can do to help?

bc
bc_seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:03 PM   #1213
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Make it rain, or snow,for about a week. Starting last Monday.

Really nothing anyone can do except minimize losses and wait for one of the above. Like the '94 fires, it'll get put out by winter. Thanks though.

1911fan

Old 09-11-2012, 10:06 PM   #1214
ADVNCW
Banned

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
From the USFS website:

Table Mountain Area Closure
Released: 4 hrs. ago

Staffed road blocks are placed at Blewett Pass SnoPark, the junction of Forest Road 3500 and 3507 (on the Reecer side), on the 120 spur road (near Snowshoe ridge out of Liberty, and the junction of Forest Roads 9711 and 9712 (northwest of the town of Liberty).

So the Ellensburg-Cashmere route is a no-go, especially since the north end of it (FS7100/Mission Creek) is also on fire south of Cashmere and the pavement is closed a few miles north of the 7100/Sand Creek junction:

Increase in fire behavior in the three fires burning in the Mission Creek drainage have caused a Level 3 evacuation notification for 54 residences on Mission Creek Road from the Shelton Christmas Tree Farm to the national forest boundary.

This sucks. It's my backyard, playground, riding area, hunting area.....Fuck. There's been no information on the "three fires burning in Mission Creek" at all, and they are the most critical IMHO. One's in Devil's Gulch somewhere and may have been 50+ acres on Sunday. The other two, Bog knows. If the Forest Circus knows, they're not saying.

I bet the washout's fixed though.
Yes, sad. I am hoping the fire stays away from the old-growth in Devils Gulch, north of 9712 above Haney Meadow and Tronsen Ridge. All pristine park/ old growth areas that allow motorcycles! Some of the largest living Western Larch grow from Diamond Head to Elk Trap to Haney Meadow. The steep terrain that has resisted roading/ logging for a century will as well prevent real firefighting effort- it is up to nature on that steep ground. The resources will be directed, appropriately, toward protecting the homes and property. No hope in the weather forecast.

I am already weary of the smoke, like most of us around here. The entire valley up to Leavenworth is smoked in.
ADVNCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:22 PM   #1215
OrcasKen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
My dad is at milepost 5 on Mission Creek watching the fire come down the hillside and says the valley is filled with smoke. He called in a sighting of smoke two nights ago and the forest service didn't know of any fires in the area. He's had some wildland firefighters through, but sounds like there isn't much effort to protect property given the massive amounts of fire in Eastern WA and sparse population. His place is 50 acres and about 30% of that is in timber - he's expecting all the timber area to burn out, but fortunately the house is away from that area. He's staying as long as practical to keep water on. Man, this will be devasting to the valley.
OrcasKen is offline   Reply With Quote