ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2012, 04:21 PM   #17221
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 893
Weekend Ride

I made it all the way down to Mt Mitchel this weekend. Just over 1000 miles round trip. Hooked up with some of my skydiving buddies. Friday and Sunday.... perfect weather. Sat was hit and miss. When we got back to the lodge there was a double rainbow. One rainbow was complete .... from one side to the next. There was a second rainbow beside it but it only went up half way. Great trip. Little Switzerland is an awesome area. Its like WV on steroids.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Dang that suit make me look fat. Am I fat? Must be the back rest. I lost 10 lbs last month.
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:47 PM   #17222
roger123
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,487
Kurt, Tom and I are headed to Wilville next weekend, any GPS tracks of your routes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwn306 View Post
Rick,

Just sent you a message, PM me if you have more ? about the bike.

Sue and I were at Willville over the weekend and just returned, Eddie had left me a voice message saying you were looking at the bike.

Had a blast at Willville, rode RT 16 up to Tazwell, what a fun road, ate lunch north of Tazwell at a place called Big Daddy's Family's Rest. Had the speacial, 12oz Rib eye, baked potato, a salad and a drink for $7.99, great food

Just as we were leaving the restaurant the bottom fell out, we were going to ride to Burke's Garden and then take a DS road down to RT 42 but since the rain was coming down so hard we bagged that idea. We rode RT 16 back to RT 42, to RT 77 to RT 58 back to Meadows of Dan, they didn't get any rain at Willville all day. It rained for about 30 minutes and cleared off and we had a beautiful sunset.

It was the Memories of Dan weekend at Willville and there was Beef Stew for dinner with French bread, there was a bucket to put in a donation for the meal.

There was frost on the pumkin this morning, it was 48 degs when I crawled out of the tent this morning to get Princess her morning cup of java. I sure glad Sue doesn't hang out on this forum or I would be dead
roger123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:20 PM   #17223
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
Somebody winding up his bike.

Not my most photogenic side but fortunately it did start after about the 15th kick. Usually it fires on the 2nd or 3rd. Crowds make 'em reluctant.

Thanks Pete for capturing this for posterity.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:40 PM   #17224
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,865
Can anyone here recommend some beginner to moderate Hiking trails in Virginia? Would appreciate any info from any of you that hike on what footwear is best and maybe gear info as well. Pretty much don't have any hiking gear or packs etc. Internet is loaded with info but would like to hear from some of you that hike etc and get your perspective on what works...

thanks in advance,

jh

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:24 AM   #17225
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHVA View Post
Can anyone here recommend some beginner to moderate Hiking trails in Virginia? Would appreciate any info from any of you that hike on what footwear is best and maybe gear info as well. Pretty much don't have any hiking gear or packs etc. Internet is loaded with info but would like to hear from some of you that hike etc and get your perspective on what works...

thanks in advance,

jh
John ... pretty much any trail on and around the AT is pretty moderate. A really decent hike (if you don't mind crowds) is Humpback Rocks. But take the full loop. It's maybe 8-9 miles and the return is on the AT itself. We've been using that loop for training for our Peru trip. The park service has some great guides for a lot of trip, organized by difficulty. Let me see if I can find a web site or two.

Gear? Good boots. Go sit down at REI (or similar) and try on several. Break them in! Other gear --- light day pack and a water bladder. Hiking pole(s) really do help. Wicking socks with liners keep the hot spots at bay. Bring snacks, it will keep your energy up. Camera. Small first aid kit. For day trips, that's about it.

BTW - Cell phones now seem to work up there. So if you're a complete phone junkie ... :-( Or if you need help, I suppose. LOL!

"Iím lost. Iíve gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:47 AM   #17226
bloochdog
Itinerant jackass

Oddometer: 5,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDoctor View Post
Not my most photogenic side but fortunately it did start after about the 15th kick. Usually it fires on the 2nd or 3rd. Crowds make 'em reluctant.

Thanks Pete for capturing this for posterity.
you look great saving the day!
Old 09-10-2012, 05:55 AM   #17227
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Oddometer: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
John ... pretty much any trail on and around the AT is pretty moderate. A really decent hike (if you don't mind crowds) is Humpback Rocks. But take the full loop. It's maybe 8-9 miles and the return is on the AT itself. We've been using that loop for training for our Peru trip. The park service has some great guides for a lot of trip, organized by difficulty. Let me see if I can find a web site or two.

Gear? Good boots. Go sit down at REI (or similar) and try on several. Break them in! Other gear --- light day pack and a water bladder. Hiking pole(s) really do help. Wicking socks with liners keep the hot spots at bay. Bring snacks, it will keep your energy up. Camera. Small first aid kit. For day trips, that's about it.

BTW - Cell phones now seem to work up there. So if you're a complete phone junkie ... :-( Or if you need help, I suppose. LOL!
I can't agree more with the importance of breaking in new boots before heading off for a multi-mile hike. Even then, I always take mole skin (and a knife to cut it) on a good hike.

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:59 AM   #17228
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHVA View Post

thanks in advance,

jh
You need to talk to Teeter..........

http://www.tru-burn.com/

Old 09-10-2012, 06:13 AM   #17229
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

John ... Closer to home is the James River Park System. (Closer to my home, at least), The Buttermilk and Northbank trails form a loop around the James, bracketed on one end by Belle Isle and the other by the Nickel Bridge. Really good long hike. Not too technical and the elevation changes are very minor. But it's definitely single track and you won't believe you're in the middle of urban Richmond.

If you start at the bridge, take an extension into the bottom, grab some lunch, and continue the loop! Or hoof over to Rockets Landing. Both have decent restaurants.

Oh, and if you do Humpback, I've got a great restaurant just a few miles away for afterwards. (Can you tell that eating is as much a part of hiking to us? LOL!)

"Iím lost. Iíve gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
Old 09-10-2012, 06:44 AM   #17230
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Dammit!

I need to go MA (Motorcycles Anonymous). It starts with the idea to buy a smaller dual-sport so I can better play with you guys offroad. Something cheap. That turned into me looking at something three times my original price and seriously considering it. That turned into thinking I needed to sell the GS and get a dedicated touring bike and lining Jeff Masseys pockets a little more. And that turned into constantly scanning Craigslist every five freaking minutes. And what did that turn into?

1967 Honda 305 Dream - http://richmond.craigslist.org/mcy/3260910616.html

I saw this and started thinking I could somehow get a third bike and run it in that Moto Giro thing some of you did last year.

OK, step one is to admit you have a problem, right? LOL! At this rate, I'm going to have to sell my car. :-)

Old 09-10-2012, 06:44 AM   #17231
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,476
Quote:
John ... Closer to home is the James River Park System. (Closer to my home, at least), The Buttermilk and Northbank trails form a loop around the James, bracketed on one end by Belle Isle and the other by the Nickel Bridge. Really good long hike. Not too technical and the elevation changes are very minor. But it's definitely single track and you won't believe you're in the middle of urban Richmond...
+1 on Buttermilk, cool trail and you would think you were in the middle of bf-egypt for most of it, not a mile from downtown RVA.

That's a good loop for mountain bikes too. for mountain biking I'd call it somewhat technical, sections anyway. I can't ride all of it.
ddlewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:50 AM   #17232
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaP View Post
I'm in the market for a small dirt bike that I can pick up myself.
Brenda, meet Eddy. Eddy, meet Brenda. (Yea, I know you know each other. That was leading me up to this).

http://richmond.craigslist.org/mcy/3257669790.html

Old 09-10-2012, 07:00 AM   #17233
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,998
Quote:
Brenda, meet Eddy. Eddy, meet Brenda. (Yea, I know you know each other. That was leading me up to this).

I think Brenda would have the same problem with it that Eddy has. It doesn't have the legs to get where they want to go. I'm not sure the rider being 100lbs lighter will make up for the fact it only has 14 HP. On the flip side it might. HBN sure rode his a bit. I do remember him riding his to Richmond once. I think there were photos and such a couple years back in this thread. I also remember that he kept it totally to back roads though.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:24 AM   #17234
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,068
Quote:

Jeremy is correct, 14 hp doesn't help much on the highway. Brenda being A LOT lighter than me would probably be able to hit 72 mph, but the motor would be buzzing beneath her like a bee on crack!

Brenda actually came over on Saturday evening and sat on my TW...She feels like it's just a tad too heavy for her. I'm not sure there are many smaller, lighter options out there than a TW, maybe a XT225 6 weeks of heavy front squats, cleans and deadlifts would fix this problem! Maybe we need to get a Baja kit and plate Gabriel's PW50 for her! LOL!

I've gotten several nibbles on the TW, one lowball offer, an offer to trade for a "well used" KLR 650 and a gentleman from Fredericksburg is supposed to show up tonight at 7:30 pm...we'll see.

And Rick, yes it is a sickness...After 45+ bikes...I still constantly scan and can't resist a steal on a nice bike. I still want a Valkyrie, a Vrod, a Wing, a DR400Z, a Ural, vintage BMW, another track bike, a Triumph Speed Triple and many others that are still on my "need to own for a while" list.

Eddy Alvarez screwed with this post 09-10-2012 at 07:31 AM
Eddy Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:33 AM   #17235
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,865
Thanks for all the great hiking info. Will definitely check out the Richmond Trail. :)

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote