Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2012, 09:54 PM   #68986
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,089
I picked up one from a guy for 10 pounds. We will see if it is what he describes. Man the dollar sucks compared to the pound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrepower View Post
From Ebay UK ranging in price from $25 us to $200 us however the last one is brand new still in it's original wrapping!
Cheers Richo. Dont forget fella's your country sent a man to the Moon, sure as hell you can arrange postage from England!!!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUZUKI-GSX...item3f1bfb4e68
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-GSX...item3a7966d06c
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GSXR-1000c...item1c2b2f7f86
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-GSXR-1000-K1-2-Exhaust-Silencer-Muffler-End-Can-14310-40F00-H01-/110943108613?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item19d4b97e05
Old 09-10-2012, 10:05 PM   #68987
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 6,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
I've drooled over a lot of V-Stroms since I got into riding. Even if I had the chance to get one, I still don't think I'd ditch the DR. The way it handles in the dirt is just so stinkin easy. Still, I'd snatch up a V-Strom to use as an ultra-comfortable sport touring type mount even if it never saw anything more off road than hard packed dirt roads.

I've drooled over V Stroms for some time myself. Finally got into a position to buy one, and recently picked up a 2007 Wee. I love it, and just got home from a 900 mile run through Yellowstone and the Beartooth. Fantastic bike.

Funny while we were on a 200 mile run of all dirt, we met up with a couple fellers from Colorado, one on a KLR and one on a DR650. They were on the way to Canada. They were perfectly happy on those bikes, doing mostly dirt on the Divide trail. At the moment I figured I'd be happy if I were on my DR. But, on day 3 when we had nearly 400 miles to ride home, the V Strom was the bike to be on.

I'll be keeping and loving both.

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:09 PM   #68988
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
Welding emits a lot of current. Always best to disconnect "fragile" electrical components from the bikes electrical system first. That said, I've welded brackets onto my DR without removing anything with zero problems. Just make sure you set up a good welding circuit before applying electricity. Electricity follows the path of least resistance and all that.
I've MIG welded on my DR too without frying anything, was curious about the topic and read that auto muffler shops generally don't disconnect anything or fry anything, also that if the ground clamp is as close as practical to the work and on bare metal that that should avoid trouble.
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:05 AM   #68989
Tyrepower
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
I picked up one from a guy for 10 pounds. We will see if it is what he describes. Man the dollar sucks compared to the pound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrepower
From Ebay UK ranging in price from $25 us to $200 us however the last one is brand new still in it's original wrapping!
Cheers Richo. Dont forget fella's your country sent a man to the Moon, sure as hell you can arrange postage from England!!!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUZUKI-GSX...item3f1bfb4e68
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-GSX...item3a7966d06c
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GSXR-1000c...item1c2b2f7f86
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-GSXR-1000-K1-2-Exhaust-Silencer-Muffler-End-Can-14310-40F00-H01-/110943108613?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item19d4b97e05

Here in Australia we love this bad time for the rest of the world. Our Dollar used to trade at 75c to the US$ now we are at $1.04. Been as high as $1.10 Plenty of people over here going mad on the internet and buying heaps of stuff from Over Seas. Even the UK pound has become a lot more attractive than it used to be. Western Australia where I live seems to be the engine room of the the Aus economy so we have been very insulated from the GFC fallout. Plenty of people in the Mine industry are on huge pay packages and this flows on down to the rest of us. Feel sorry when I see you blokes commenting on how you have to sell your pride and joys or that you can get hold of a new DR for X amount down with no interest payments. Whilst that's good for some, usually means things are pretty tight for everyone else.

Cheers Richo

My biggest fear is when I die, my wife will sell all my bikes for what I "told her" they cost!!!

It's all good fun until someone gets hurt......... then it's hilarious!!!
Tyrepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:02 AM   #68990
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,908
Tex76...I went with the Wee Strom like ShadyRascal. I need to do a side by side pic for the e-memory. A great compliment to the DR and as mentioned, not emptying my bank account.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:41 AM   #68991
kbuckey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyRascal View Post
I've drooled over V Stroms for some time myself. Finally got into a position to buy one, and recently picked up a 2007 Wee. I love it, and just got home from a 900 mile run through Yellowstone and the Beartooth. Fantastic bike.

Funny while we were on a 200 mile run of all dirt, we met up with a couple fellers from Colorado, one on a KLR and one on a DR650. They were on the way to Canada. They were perfectly happy on those bikes, doing mostly dirt on the Divide trail. At the moment I figured I'd be happy if I were on my DR. But, on day 3 when we had nearly 400 miles to ride home, the V Strom was the bike to be on.

I'll be keeping and loving both.
Interesting. I've had my DR since '97 and I got a new 2006 V-Strom 1000 in 2007. Put over 17000 on the Strom but, you know, I never really loved that bike. It was competent and all that. Did a 1000 (1043 to be exact) day just because I could. Hated it on even dirt roads. Not quite a sport tourer. Last October I sold it and got a new KLX250S - on which I'm learning just how little I know how to ride dirt, but it's a hoot. Still want a sport touring bike - thinking Norge or 1200RT. See what the wife says about 5 bikes!

If I had to get rid of all but one, the DR stays.
kbuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:08 AM   #68992
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelers View Post
I guess we all think alike around here. I love my DR650, and would use it for anything. I'd sell my CBR600, but it's not worth very much, so I might as well keep it. However, I've been considering my girlfriend riding with me 2-up. I've come to the conclusion that the bike for us would be the Wee-Strom or the Tiger 800XC. I don't need or want monster engines, and try to avoid unnecessary complexity. We toured Thailand just fine sometimes on one, sometimes on two 125cc scooters. Going up hill 2-up was pretty slow, but perfectly doable. I toured all of Vietnam on a 100cc Honda Win clone. That would not have cut it for 2-up riding.
The 800XC and WeeStrom are my most coveted long distance, multi-terrain, efficient, 2-up traveler. I haven't ridden either though, so I can't pick a winner yet! I wouldn't sell my DR though!!!!!!!!!!
The guy I've done all my riding/camping trips with recently upgraded from a 2008 KLR to a 2012 Tiger 800 XC. The only thing that really seemed to hold him back in the dirt were those Pirelli Scorpion Trail tires they put on there. I could barely tell the difference between those tires and the Pilot Road 3's I had on my Ninja. They made my 705's look like full blown knobbies, but other than that, his bike was completely up to the task of riding around the Rio Puerco with the rest of the dirt bikes. Granted, he's been riding for a while and is really damn good at handling big bikes off road. He said that he was in a toss up between the KTM 990 Adventure and the Tiger 800 XC, and the Tiger took it hands down. Something about the fueling and brakes on the 990 just didn't grab him.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:15 AM   #68993
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,088
Quote:
The guy I've done all my riding/camping trips with recently upgraded from a 2008 KLR to a 2012 Tiger 800 XC. The only thing that really seemed to hold him back in the dirt were those Pirelli Scorpion Trail tires they put on there. I could barely tell the difference between those tires and the Pilot Road 3's I had on my Ninja. They made my 705's look like full blown knobbies, but other than that, his bike was completely up to the task of riding around the Rio Puerco with the rest of the dirt bikes. Granted, he's been riding for a while and is really damn good at handling big bikes off road. He said that he was in a toss up between the KTM 990 Adventure and the Tiger 800 XC, and the Tiger took it hands down. Something about the fueling and brakes on the 990 just didn't grab him.

I need to stop trying to talk myself into a lesser bike and just find a way to make an 800XC happen. I got to ride one about a year ago when the demo truck came through Newport Beach (when I was in SoCal). Was really nice. Though there's a good deal on an 07 DL1000 up in Portland that I'd love to snag if I had $5k. Has luggage and everything.

My rear 705 is just about shot.. I have a new one in the garage I need to swap on. Might do that tomorrow. That and check all my motor mounts to try to figure out that weird vibration. I also wonder if the cam chain tensioner might not be doing it's job, since it's the automatic (stock) one.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:18 AM   #68994
Tex76
Motersykle Advntyers

Oddometer: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuckey View Post
. See what the wife says about 5 bikes!
We all have different definitions of the perfect bike(s), that's what keeps things interesting, but I think I speak for everyone when I say GOOD LUCK TRYING TO GET A WOMAN TO AGREE TO 5 BIKES!!!! (and if she does agree, does she have a sister?)
The Lost Texan, Wanders East
Tex76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:20 AM   #68995
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
I need to stop trying to talk myself into a lesser bike and just find a way to make an 800XC happen. I got to ride one about a year ago when the demo truck came through Newport Beach (when I was in SoCal). Was really nice. Though there's a good deal on an 07 DL1000 up in Portland that I'd love to snag if I had $5k. Has luggage and everything.

My rear 705 is just about shot.. I have a new one in the garage I need to swap on. Might do that tomorrow. That and check all my motor mounts to try to figure out that weird vibration. I also wonder if the cam chain tensioner might not be doing it's job, since it's the automatic (stock) one.

Rob
If you're just looking for a comfortable street/touring mount, the DL1000 would likely be a better choice than the 800XC, especially if you're keeping your DR650. He got the 800XC because he was only going to have one bike, and he wanted one that would do the most of everything.

What kind of life did you get out of your rear 705? At $55 per tire, they wouldn't have to get that much mileage to be a complete steal. People rip on them for being mostly a street tire, but I've found it to handle the offroad stuff in my area with aplomb.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
Old 09-11-2012, 07:21 AM   #68996
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex76 View Post
We all have different definitions of the perfect bike(s), that's what keeps things interesting, but I think I speak for everyone when I say GOOD LUCK TRYING TO GET A WOMAN TO AGREE TO 5 BIKES!!!! (and if she does agree, does she have a sister?)
I'm gonna go out on a limb here... it's not up to her to agree. If its your money, and all the other bills are taken care of, then buy whatever the hell you want (except perhaps for a fleet of blow-up dolls).

Rob
Old 09-11-2012, 07:21 AM   #68997
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex76 View Post
My girlfriend is all about the five bikes as long as I let her have her five bikes as well. And yes, she has a sister.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:30 AM   #68998
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
If you're just looking for a comfortable street/touring mount, the DL1000 would likely be a better choice than the 800XC, especially if you're keeping your DR650. He got the 800XC because he was only going to have one bike, and he wanted one that would do the most of everything.
I see the 800XC as the natural evolution of the DR650. The ONLY issues I have with the DR650 on long trips are lack of power and vibration (being a single and all). The 800XC would solve both of those issues with a minimal weight penalty.

Quote:
What kind of life did you get out of your rear 705? At $55 per tire, they wouldn't have to get that much mileage to be a complete steal. People rip on them for being mostly a street tire, but I've found it to handle the offroad stuff in my area with aplomb.
This is my second one; I'm getting around 5500-6000 miles out of the rear. When I put the current tire on, I put a new front on too. The front is down to maybe half, so I'm just putting on a new rear. When both of these wear out, I have the old front from LAST time to swap on with one more rear.

I love the 705's especially for the price. They're far better on dirt than their appearance would suggest. I had been using a set of Shinko 700's on a spare wheelset for more dirt-oriented rides, but now I'm not sure there's a need. I may swap that set back on again just to wear them out so I can put some true knobbies back on, like T63's. I didn't care for the D606's I had on there before.

Rob
Old 09-11-2012, 07:33 AM   #68999
Tex76
Motersykle Advntyers

Oddometer: 858
Quote:
My girlfriend is all about the five bikes as long as I let her have her five bikes as well. And yes, she has a sister.
So should I just start calling you brother-in-law?
The Lost Texan, Wanders East
Tex76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:41 AM   #69000
Escaped
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Hi Rob,

Regarding weird vibration, if the vibration only occurs while in motion, you may want to check out your sprockets / chain / cush drive rubbers. A while back I also had a weird vibration / rattle when under partial load and it turn out to be the worn chain / front sprocket. Just a thought.

Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post

Rob

DR650 - Living the Dream!
Escaped is offline   Reply With Quote