Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2012, 12:26 AM   #16
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,610
Bewtus, et al. Another victim enters the dark side (insert sound of heavy Darth Vader breathing here).
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #17
toro618
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 959
Boots

So I have now joined you guys on the dark side....actually the fun side which I can't beleive I have missed out on for so many years.

So I am currently using my Sidi Crossfires (mx boots). How much more better would trials specific boots be for a beginner? I realize that my mx boots may be overkill, but should I just get new ones? I am loyal to Sidi so would get the Trial Zero Boots.

Thanks for any input
toro618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:45 AM   #18
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by toro618 View Post
How much more better would trials specific boots be for a beginner?
Thanks for any input
100%, go for it.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:16 PM   #19
motojunky
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 1,075
Quote:
So I have now joined you guys on the dark side....actually the fun side which I can't beleive I have missed out on for so many years.

So I am currently using my Sidi Crossfires (mx boots). How much more better would trials specific boots be for a beginner? I realize that my mx boots may be overkill, but should I just get new ones? I am loyal to Sidi so would get the Trial Zero Boots.

Thanks for any input
Flexibility is key. You can't move properly in the MX boots.

I went through the same thing last year. I went from my Sidi Crossfire MX boots to some old Sidi dual sport (street really) boots I had laying around before I finally ponied up the cash for some Alpinestars No-Stop trials boots. I've been very happy. They've got plenty of flexibility and enough protection to make me feel comfortable.

$$ well spent, IMO.

Where in NJ are you?
motojunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:19 PM   #20
DrKayak
Retro Rider

Oddometer: 749
The guy I bought my Trials bike from insisted I buy these old ratty trials boots from him for $75. He said you MUST have the right boots. I was getting such a good deal on the Techno I thought I would make him happy and got them.

After 6 months riding trials in trials boots I can not go back to riding my 450 in my Sidi boots. It's like riding with a cast on your foot. Rear brake control is a joke. For the technical single track I like, I now ride trail on my 450 in my trials boots too.
04 FZ1
DrKayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:30 PM   #21
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,943
If you like Sidi's you could also consider the Discovery Rains. They are just a bit heavier and less flexible than a trials boot, waterproof and make a decent trail riding boot too. I've also Garne trials boots and float back and forth between the two models and can't tell much difference. MX boots are definitely useless on a trials bike.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:34 PM   #22
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKayak View Post
The guy I bought my Trials bike from insisted I buy these old ratty trials boots from him for $75. He said you MUST have the right boots. I was getting such a good deal on the Techno I thought I would make him happy and got them.

After 6 months riding trials in trials boots I can not go back to riding my 450 in my Sidi boots. It's like riding with a cast on your foot. Rear brake control is a joke. For the technical single track I like, I now ride trail on my 450 in my trials boots too.
Only "warning" to give you and go fasters like you is, trials boots don't give much protection at speeds. Many reports on RMD about guys nearly losing toes on tree roots on trails while ripping down TST at 40 mph plus...

Heck I can wear trials boots and be comfortable more often than wearing my tennies... Half the time I forget I have them on, at camp... they are comfortable.

the TRIALS boots, to me they really are more like good leather work gloves, They're great for working you know around the house and garden, but I am not catching for major league baseball in them. MX boots really are more like catchers mits, they would not be worth a damn to be using a shovel or potting plants...

So MX boots turn out to be pretty limiting working the brakes while balancing at stand still, but are necessary when racing where you could catch a toe on something and really be hurt without all that stiffness in the MX boot.
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:27 PM   #23
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett943 View Post
So it appears I'm not alone! The 530 is so versatile and thats why if I have to haul my bike out for a really technical ride then might as well have a bike that is quite different and incredibly capable. Thanks for the advice, hope to meet with this guy this weekend to show/see bikes and make a decision.
Right there is the crux of the matter. I'm a little late to the party, but I have to agree that having very different bikes expands the motorcycling experience. I've been to trials events, and think having one in the stable is something you won't regret.

Now I'm off to build a bigger garage...
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:17 PM   #24
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 887
Re boots. I wear Thor MX boots, great for kicking trees down. When riding technical stuff I do not tighten them right up which gives me better flexibility. Their is a hint of give in the soles so the rear brake is no problem. Adequate for now but still do not hold a flame to the real deal.
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:12 PM   #25
toro618
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 959
Quote:
Originally Posted by motojunky View Post
Flexibility is key. You can't move properly in the MX boots.

I went through the same thing last year. I went from my Sidi Crossfire MX boots to some old Sidi dual sport (street really) boots I had laying around before I finally ponied up the cash for some Alpinestars No-Stop trials boots. I've been very happy. They've got plenty of flexibility and enough protection to make me feel comfortable.

$$ well spent, IMO.

Where in NJ are you?
I just ordered the Sidi Trial Zero Boots.

I am in North NJ.
toro618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:16 PM   #26
motojunky
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 1,075
Quote:
I just ordered the Sidi Trial Zero Boots.

I am in North NJ.
on the boots.

Is there any trials activity in NJ? I guess there is a NY club or two?

I'm in MD - not too far from South Jersey, but a pretty good hike from North Jersey. Our club event is in northern DE and coming up 10/28 if you're interested in competing or spectating.
motojunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:08 PM   #27
Brett943 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Trials boots, pants that tuck in boots and a light weight trials helmet are next on my must have list. Like others I wish I would have tried a trials bike sooner! So much fun! Will tractor up anything it seems. I just love it, going out friday to see what else I can get up
Brett943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:40 PM   #28
LCNMRIDER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett943 View Post
Trials boots, pants that tuck in boots and a light weight trials helmet are next on my must have list. Like others I wish I would have tried a trials bike sooner! So much fun! Will tractor up anything it seems. I just love it, going out friday to see what else I can get up
I got away with a pair of police boots that I purchased at local store for a short time while I saved the money to buy a good pair of trials boots. They actually worked better than I expected. Not saying that I recommend them but they were much better than my MX boots.
LCNMRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:32 AM   #29
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCNMRIDER View Post
I got away with a pair of police boots that I purchased at local store for a short time while I saved the money to buy a good pair of trials boots. They actually worked better than I expected. Not saying that I recommend them but they were much better than my MX boots.
Its some "all about" needs, I know. I mean I borrow old bats and gloves from the 70's/80's (school days) "stash" if I go play softball, because Im not into it that much. I also know looking at everyone else's gloves, & aluminum bats, that I'm handicapping myself (new gloves size of a bushel basket, and SOFT, whoot), where mine looked like a PeeWee glove.

But Trials, I'm INTO it, so I buy the stuff just so I don't pre-handicap myself with equipment that we already know doesnt lend itself to the task... like my glove analogy.
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:11 PM   #30
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,610
[QUOTE]But Trials, I'm INTO it, so I buy the stuff just so I don't pre-handicap myself with equipment that we already know doesnt lend itself to the task.
[/QUOTE

Tom Batchelor, Mototrialsport in Dallas would say.

"Your queer for trials". ]
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote