ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2012, 06:41 PM   #61
cdwise
Studly Adventurer
 
cdwise's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Houston, TX/Breckenridge, CO
Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugby4life View Post
Hey folks, I need to transition to a new type of riding so I need to sell my DR650. Please tell your friends and neighbors about the great deal you just found. Thanks,

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=822901
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScootTour View Post
intrestingly at least here in Houston I rarely see riders with much gear on at all. In fact, sometimes it feels like riders wear LESS gear then they do if they are in a car.
I do know heat has a lot to do with it but still.
Depends where in Houston you are but this time of year you will see folks who normally ride in full gear wearing a helmet and not wearing an armored jacket. One of them maybe me since if I'm just tootling around inside the loop and not going on the freeway when its in the upper 90s I wear my Nolan Italia copter helmet and don't wear a jacket though if I'm going to be on the interstate I will still put on the N43 and jacket. Its just that given the temps intown with lots of stops at lights I can't take the heat. Since I live inside the loop I typically see riders with helmets and not much other gear until the weather cools down. Only a very small percentage of those riding scoots don't have a helmet on, probably less than I see Harley riders without helmets like the guy riding with sunglasses, jeans and flip flops on his Harley - he had a lovely tan but wouldn't be my idea of riding gear.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:33 PM   #62
Ken K
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Oddometer: 17
Motorcycle to scooter

Went from a KTM 950 adventurer and Harley Sportster to a 400 Burgman. Love the Suzuki great machine and it does everything I want and does it much more comfortably and with better economy. Love my scooter.
Ken K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:33 AM   #63
knucklehead90
Gnarly Adventurer
 
knucklehead90's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: High Desert - Ephrata Washington
Oddometer: 190
After 47 years of riding motorcycles and giving nary a thought to owning a scooter I sold my 2001 Electra Glide Ultra in March and bought a gently used 2008 Burgman 650 Exec with just under 4k on the odometer. Since I've got chronic back problems (not MC related) caused from injuries from years past it was time to sell it and find something else - something comfortable to get on and off of without pain. I had considered a trike but didn't care for the high cost of a Gold Wing or Harley converted if I weren't going to ride it much. And the Can-AM has no appeal to me whatever - sorry Can-Am riders. I rode the Harley all of 1500 miles the last two years I owned it and had replaced the drive belt and alternator - and the leaking header pipes - I think those 1500 miles cost about $.80 per mile!

I quickly found riding bliss once again with the Burgman however. I ride it every chance I get - and with the weather around here this time of year my SUV gets no love unless I'm going to Costco. And I'm still considering a trailer hitch since I haven't sold the small MC trailer yet - it'd hold all the stuff I buy at Costco every couple of months just fine.

I find the Burgman has a bit more harsh a ride than the Harley had but it isn't bad enough to cause any serious problems as long as I see the bumps coming. The butt slappers hurt but I know where most of them are in my daily travels - I just have to be careful of the ones in areas I'm not familiar with.

After having the Burgman for the last 6 months I'm not sure I'd want to go back to a motorcycle again even if my back were to miraculously heal. I could care less about respect - and as for waving - I don't wave at anyone anyway unless they initiate the wave. I'm tired of waving! Back in the mid 60s when I first started riding nobody waved at anyone else - now everyone on 2 wheels it seems is waving at everyone else on 2 wheels. What the hell is up with that? Where did this start? And how can we kill it? It just seems dumb...
__________________
2008 650 Burgman Executive 'Darksided'

Cages:
1971 Karmann Ghia
2013 VW Jetta TDi Premium
knucklehead90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:49 PM   #64
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Western Montana
Oddometer: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead90 View Post
After 47 years of riding motorcycles and giving nary a thought to owning a scooter I sold my 2001 Electra Glide Ultra in March and bought a gently used 2008 Burgman 650 Exec with just under 4k on the odometer. Since I've got chronic back problems (not MC related) caused from injuries from years past it was time to sell it and find something else - something comfortable to get on and off of without pain. I had considered a trike but didn't care for the high cost of a Gold Wing or Harley converted if I weren't going to ride it much. And the Can-AM has no appeal to me whatever - sorry Can-Am riders. I rode the Harley all of 1500 miles the last two years I owned it and had replaced the drive belt and alternator - and the leaking header pipes - I think those 1500 miles cost about $.80 per mile!

I quickly found riding bliss once again with the Burgman however. I ride it every chance I get - and with the weather around here this time of year my SUV gets no love unless I'm going to Costco. And I'm still considering a trailer hitch since I haven't sold the small MC trailer yet - it'd hold all the stuff I buy at Costco every couple of months just fine.

I find the Burgman has a bit more harsh a ride than the Harley had but it isn't bad enough to cause any serious problems as long as I see the bumps coming. The butt slappers hurt but I know where most of them are in my daily travels - I just have to be careful of the ones in areas I'm not familiar with.

After having the Burgman for the last 6 months I'm not sure I'd want to go back to a motorcycle again even if my back were to miraculously heal. I could care less about respect - and as for waving - I don't wave at anyone anyway unless they initiate the wave. I'm tired of waving! Back in the mid 60s when I first started riding nobody waved at anyone else - now everyone on 2 wheels it seems is waving at everyone else on 2 wheels. What the hell is up with that? Where did this start? And how can we kill it? It just seems dumb...
It's that desire to belong in some sort of elite club.

Don't know where it started, but the Jeep guys (and even more Jeep girls) do the same.

It's moronic, but ya gotta play along...nobody wants hurt feelings, especially when you might just run into him again at the gas-station/quick-stop and find out he doesn't like people who he thinks are stuck-up...
__________________
2007 Burgman 650 Executive...my last hurrah

1999 BMW R1100RT - backsliding on the Scooter Life.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:18 PM   #65
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.
 
cbolling's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Greenville, SC
Oddometer: 2,734
I drive a Jeep Wrangler and have a scooter and a motorcycle. I always have someone waving at me.

When I am on one of the bikes I tend to naturally wave at the Jeeps as they pass and get some strange looks.

When in the Jeep I wave at bikers and get strange looks from them.
__________________
2011 Kawasaki Versys

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:53 PM   #66
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Western Montana
Oddometer: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbolling View Post
I drive a Jeep Wrangler and have a scooter and a motorcycle. I always have someone waving at me.

When I am on one of the bikes I tend to naturally wave at the Jeeps as they pass and get some strange looks.

When in the Jeep I wave at bikers and get strange looks from them.
Tell me about it.

When I had my Jeep...a YJ-7 (yep, that's what it was; it didn't leave the plant so christened, but it's a Jeep)...I'd get the waves from the long-fingernailed college girlies, among other Jeep pilots...and I'd automatically wave back.

Trouble was my UDDER car...was a milquetoast Toyota econobox. I'd see a Jeep coming at me...and wave.

And get an eff-yoo look. And feel like an IDIOT.

Nowadaze...I just have the scoot. I get the goofy pointy-wave from about half the bikers (a few pull it when they realize I'm on a scoot) and most of the time I give it back. But at least there's no forgetting which car I'm in...when I'm using the left hand, low....

It's all idiocy. I have more in common with the college kid who bought my Toyota Echo than I do with the Harley crowd. What do I want to wave at them for?...most of them, I don't wanna share the PLANET with them....
__________________
2007 Burgman 650 Executive...my last hurrah

1999 BMW R1100RT - backsliding on the Scooter Life.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:39 PM   #67
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.
 
cbolling's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Greenville, SC
Oddometer: 2,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyJones View Post
Tell me about it.
I just did.





__________________
2011 Kawasaki Versys

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:19 AM   #68
krobison
Adventurer
 
krobison's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Oddometer: 20
Scooter not cutting it

I've been commuting on a Piaggio BV500 for a couple of months from Pacifica to San Francisco. I think it's about 12 miles. As far as respect goes, I see no difference between a motorcycle and scooter.

My only issue with the scooter is that it's not made for hard commute riding. Corners, braking, and acceleration all pale in comparison with a modern motorcycle. I have fun, don't get me wrong, but there IS a compromise in riding a scooter.

One place a scooter excels is wind protection, storage space, and low speed maneuverability.

I've had my J-frame scooter go into high speed wobbles several times when cornering on the freeway. Braking is dismal compared to a modern motorcycle as well. This is extreme riding (70-75mph+ sweepers), so I imagine even a few motorcycles would probably do the same thing. I love the gas mileage, but when you consider tire changes and service costs, I don't think you're saving much by riding a scooter over driving a fully depreciated commuter car. Time savings, yes. Fun, yes.

Overall, I recommend a motorcycle for commuting or econobox car. A scooter will do it, but with some compromises. Everything works, but don't try and rationalize commuting on a scooter as better than an econobox. If you want to ride a scooter, do it; but I know motorcycles are much better for my commute in my situation.

Looks like you've made a decision (should have looked through the thread again). Right on--you made an informed choice.

Cheers!
krobison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:31 AM   #69
John Bentall
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: London UK
Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by krobison View Post
I've been commuting on a Piaggio BV500 for a couple of months from Pacifica to San Francisco. I think it's about 12 miles. As far as respect goes, I see no difference between a motorcycle and scooter.

My only issue with the scooter is that it's not made for hard commute riding. Corners, braking, and acceleration all pale in comparison with a modern motorcycle. I have fun, don't get me wrong, but there IS a compromise in riding a scooter.

One place a scooter excels is wind protection, storage space, and low speed maneuverability.

I've had my J-frame scooter go into high speed wobbles several times when cornering on the freeway. Braking is dismal compared to a modern motorcycle as well. This is extreme riding (70-75mph+ sweepers), so I imagine even a few motorcycles would probably do the same thing. I love the gas mileage, but when you consider tire changes and service costs, I don't think you're saving much by riding a scooter over driving a fully depreciated commuter car. Time savings, yes. Fun, yes.

Overall, I recommend a motorcycle for commuting or econobox car. A scooter will do it, but with some compromises. Everything works, but don't try and rationalize commuting on a scooter as better than an econobox. If you want to ride a scooter, do it; but I know motorcycles are much better for my commute in my situation.

Looks like you've made a decision (should have looked through the thread again). Right on--you made an informed choice.

Cheers!
Yes, but ......... it all depends on the nature of your commute.

My rationality:-
1) I already own all the clothing required because I have a motorcycle already.
2) Commute by scooter 45 minutes - Econobox car 75 minutes. So we are talking about very heavy congestion.
3) My scooter is 230lbs lighter than a motorcycle with the same quality of weather protection - and is therefore much more manoeverable.
4) There is nowhere on my commute where it is legal to exceed 50mph.
5) Servicing costs are minimal.

Om my commute there are no compromises compared to a motorcycle - only a whole load of advantages.

YMMV,

John
John Bentall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:51 AM   #70
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer
 
klaviator's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Huntsville, AL
Oddometer: 5,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by krobison View Post
I've been commuting on a Piaggio BV500 for a couple of months from Pacifica to San Francisco. I think it's about 12 miles. As far as respect goes, I see no difference between a motorcycle and scooter.

My only issue with the scooter is that it's not made for hard commute riding. Corners, braking, and acceleration all pale in comparison with a modern motorcycle. I have fun, don't get me wrong, but there IS a compromise in riding a scooter.

One place a scooter excels is wind protection, storage space, and low speed maneuverability.

I've had my J-frame scooter go into high speed wobbles several times when cornering on the freeway. Braking is dismal compared to a modern motorcycle as well. This is extreme riding (70-75mph+ sweepers), so I imagine even a few motorcycles would probably do the same thing. I love the gas mileage, but when you consider tire changes and service costs, I don't think you're saving much by riding a scooter over driving a fully depreciated commuter car. Time savings, yes. Fun, yes.

Overall, I recommend a motorcycle for commuting or econobox car. A scooter will do it, but with some compromises. Everything works, but don't try and rationalize commuting on a scooter as better than an econobox. If you want to ride a scooter, do it; but I know motorcycles are much better for my commute in my situation.

Looks like you've made a decision (should have looked through the thread again). Right on--you made an informed choice.

Cheers!
For my commuting, scooters work very well. I do mostly short trips, 5-15 miles. It's mostly city traffic and speeds 50 MPH and below. I have a Kymco Super 8 150 and Aprilia Sport City 250. Both handle very well in city traffic and are much more agile than almost any motorcycle. Both get around 75 MPG. The kymco has very good brakes and the triple discs on my Aprilia are outstanding. There really aren't any motorcycles in the size and price range of my scooters that compare for commuting practicality.
__________________
I ride, Therefore I Am.



klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:30 AM   #71
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer
 
Rugby4life's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Upstate SC (GSP area)
Oddometer: 694
Best of Both Worlds

I have a 400cc Yamaha Majesty and a motorcycle. I use the bike Cox things only it's good for and the scooter for everything else. The bike gets the off road duties and the scooter does the daily commute to work, mountain road work, and most highway trips including my weekly run to Atlanta and back (185 miles each way). The only commute the majesty would be unsuited for would be the Daytona 200 or Baja 1000. I can't wait to get my BMW C650GT when it is released in the U.S.
__________________
"Before attempting to beat the odds, first determine if you can survive the odds beating you."
Rugby4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:41 AM   #72
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Missouri
Oddometer: 1,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead90 View Post
After having the Burgman for the last 6 months I'm not sure I'd want to go back to a motorcycle again even if my back were to miraculously heal. I could care less about respect - and as for waving - I don't wave at anyone anyway unless they initiate the wave. I'm tired of waving! Back in the mid 60s when I first started riding nobody waved at anyone else - now everyone on 2 wheels it seems is waving at everyone else on 2 wheels. What the hell is up with that? Where did this start? And how can we kill it? It just seems dumb...
It must have started in the late sixties - early seventies. Most people were waving by the time I started riding in '73.
__________________
'88 R100GS
'76 xl350
"Don't Panic"
"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:44 AM   #73
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Missouri
Oddometer: 1,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyJones View Post
It's that desire to belong in some sort of elite club....
I think you're way toooooo cynical. But maybe not.
I always took as an acknowledgement of mutual understanding between strangers of why you were doing something that, on the surface, appears to be really dumb to most people.
__________________
'88 R100GS
'76 xl350
"Don't Panic"
"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:27 AM   #74
Rick G
Ranger Rick
 
Rick G's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Euclid, OH
Oddometer: 1,988
Have I gone from motorcycles to scooters full time? NO but I have added a Scooter to the fleet for around town errands and silly fun.

I just upgraded my Scooter to a Vespa GTS Super 250 and love it because it is a different experience than motorcycles. Right now I have very little interest in the maxi step through motorcycles that they call scooters. To me a Scooter is a small wheel step through, just like my Vespa. I don't want a scooter that tries too hard to be a motorcycle.

But that is me. Buy and ride want you like.

Rick G
__________________
Any Road Any Time!
2011 BMW R1200R - The Redhead with Big Jugs I have always wanted!
2009 Vespa GTS Super 250ie - Just for Kicks & Giggles
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:58 AM   #75
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: SW Florida
Oddometer: 2,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick G View Post
Have I gone from motorcycles to scooters full time? NO but I have added a Scooter to the fleet for around town errands and silly fun.

I just upgraded my Scooter to a Vespa GTS Super 250 and love it because it is a different experience than motorcycles. Right now I have very little interest in the maxi step through motorcycles that they call scooters. To me a Scooter is a small wheel step through, just like my Vespa. I don't want a scooter that tries too hard to be a motorcycle.

But that is me. Buy and ride want you like.

Rick G
+ 1, I like the way you think!

I've been riding motorcycles for over 50 years and hope to do so for many, many more. Soon a Vespa 300 GTS Super will be introduced to my stable of motorcycles. As mentioned about , to be used "for around town errands and silly fun".

Regards, Paul
__________________
"One of the things that make motorcycling so great is because it never fails to give you a feeling of freedom and adventure." - Steve McQueen
Roadscum is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014