Kriega USA Luggage Q&A

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by amanlikemike, Apr 2, 2012.

1. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    So with my new US Alloy Hook Straps in hand it was time to fit a few bags just to see how they look.

The straps themselves look and feel fantastic, are easy to use and seem very secure.
    [​IMG]

Even with the narrow rear fender of a single the US10 could go either way.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The US20 can go either way... but seems more natural across the tail section rather than in line with it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In case you thought Rack Loops only work with Kriega bags... they are very versatile and do work with other make bags as well.
    [​IMG]
  2. darlingbastard

darlingbastard n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm interested in the Overland 60 but don't ride KTM.

The Kriega website lists the Overland 60/Adventure Platform as compatible with "standard" 18mm racks such as "Metal Mule, Touratech and KTM power parts". Of those three only Touratech is generally available in the USA for non KTM bikes. Is this really the ONLY rack I can use? There is very little information that I can find on compatible racks beyond the three mentioned and Touratech is not standard over here (most pannier manufacturers here provide mounts/adapters for GIVI, SW-Motech, Hepco+Becker etc...)

Is anyone aware of any racks other than Touratech I can use in the USA? I'm asking because at 50% of the price for the overland 60 setup I would prefer a rack that works with a larger variety of luggage.
  3. amanlikemike

amanlikemike Recovering Speedfreak

Oddometer:
    Hello darling, :D

By 'standard', it actually means 'standard shape', as opposed to 'standard issue'. This is to distinguish the dimensions of the traditional 18mm D-hoop style frames from ones such as the Touratech Special Sets for GSAs etc, which have an unusual 'stepped' construction, to accommodate the exhaust end-can on that bike.

Each rack manufacturer tends to have a proprietary design / mounting system which can limit which cases can be used with it. So, for this initial batch, Kriega opted to go with the most popular brand, which has the greatest amount of cross-over with other brands, so that the most people had the opportunity to fit the Overlander 60.

The chaps back in the UK are however working on establishing which other brands the system might fit, as well as alternative mounts for SW and H+B (GIVI is not really in the serious Dual Sport market, so it is unlikely a system compatible with their racks will be developed), which are even more prevalent in the US. However, at the moment, I am currently only able to confirm that Touratech, Metal Mule and KTM Power Parts are guaranteed to work. But I will update this should any further information be forthcoming.

In the meantime, Touratech parts are freely available from countless outlets, while Metal Mule can be ordered here: http://www.bestrestproducts.com/c-145-frames.aspx.

Should you opt for one of these brands and wish to attach aluminum cases from another brand, such as SW Motech or H+B, the ALP platform (http://www.kriega.us/alp-adventure-dual-sport-motorcycle-pannier-platform/) will generally facilitate this. If you wish to use an alternative brand of soft luggage, it is probably best to choose your favorite and go with the rack that best suits them (9 times out of 10 will be the same brand as the bags, for the reason mentioned above).

I hope that helps, but please do not hesitate to post or call me on 504.872.9367 should you require any further detail.

Cheers,

Michael
  4. elron

elron Still Standing Supporter

Oddometer:
    PM sent re ship code.
  5. Pundy

Pundy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just came back from a 1700 mile trip of which only a few hundred miles were paved, the rest was gravel and ATV trails. Lots of opportunities for my Overlander 30 setup to show it's weaknesses if they have any. I was extremely happy with the way these bags performed. As you can see in the pics, I was using some NRS straps to hold down the rear bags (a K20 and a K10) on the tail. This was due to a lack of time to get the new mounts set up on my rear fender.

I can't say enough about how the bags performed. My biggest concern had been that I would have thought the bags would have rolled front to rear due to the single mounting point at bottom. It did NOT happen. These things are rock solid through even the most rugged terrain. This bag setup on my 690 makes for a phenomenal light touring setup. I now have a bike that I can ride all day, will haul butt on black top (when needed) and damn near feels as light as my 450 'Berg when I'm tossing down the single track.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is the alternative.....
  6. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    Nice Pundy!

I can't wait to try mine in a few weeks.
  7. SirJono_777

SirJono_777 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Before I even saw the description, the phrase 'stuff that' went through my head. Haha.. poor bastard! Love the pics, I will be getting some overlanders for my 525 for a trip at the end of the year. The GL Coyote I have just isn't floating my boat right now. Thanks for sharing.
  8. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    Nice work, Pundy. :clap

And thank you very much for sharing your photos and feedback. Always great to hear how our gear helps take the hassle out of hauling cargo.

Cheers,

Michael
  9. hawideri

hawideri Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dear Michael,

First of all, my compliments to this thread. Ideal source of information for future kriega owners like myself.

I am debating with myself to by the US30 or R30.

Therefore, is it possible to mount the R30 backpack with the US30 hook system for the saddle?
    And if so, which parts need to be ordered?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

PS: I won't be doing off-road riding with the backpack on the saddle. I would like this option only for long touring trips and in hot weather. I currently use rok-straps or bungee-net to strap my gear on the bike, but am not that fond of these methods.
  10. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    Hi Hawideri,

It is not possible to mount the R30 as a tail pack. Kriega backpacks are designed to perform best when it is needed most i.e. worn while riding. Additional female quick-release clips which could enable the Alloy Hook Straps to be attached would be superfluous for the vast majority of riders and most of the time would just be left flapping in the wind, or catching on things.

The harness is also constructed in order to provide maximum comfort and freedom of movement, by centralizing the load-bearing sections - something that makes neatly laying the bag 'face-up' on the tail section of a bike a little awkward.

It's feasible that the Alloy Hook Straps could be adapted to thread through the compression strap buckles on the R30, but I can't recommend it.

While it is certainly possible to strap or cargo net a backpack on, it is, as you say, not all that nice a solution. So, it really comes down to which type of bag you feel you'll get the most use out of. Both will work equally well on the road. The R30 feels extremely comfortable even during 'spirited' road riding, but the weight it can carry may be considered a little too much for off-road work. US packs remain rock-solid in place whatever the terrain, and there is plenty of space on the Megamoto for whatever configuration of tail packs you like.

I'm assuming from your shortlist that waterproofing is a priority for you. However, if there's a bit of leeway in this, perhaps a solution may be to go for our R20 or R25 backpack (highly water-resistant, but items with a zipper can never be guaranteed waterproof), along with a US-10. This would give you 30 or 35 liters of combined capacity with the flexibility of dedicated back and bike mounting (the 100% waterproof US-10 can be used as a tail pack and also attached to your backpack - when not in use it can be rolled up and carried in the backpack, just in case).

I hope this information helps, but please feel free to email me via www.kriega.us or call 504.872.9367 any time, if you would like to discuss the options in more detail.

All the best,

Michael
  11. hawideri

hawideri Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the excellent elaboration...it will be the US30 then.
    Although I do believe the r30 is not the same as a normal backpack, for 2/3 hour trips I prefer things strapped on the bike. And I do long for an optimal fitting system instead of hasseling along (skratching my presious/loosing time/get annoyed)

I guess for short trips the shoulderstrap will have to do. Thinking of it, my laptopbag has not bothered me that much while travelling within the city.

And yes, waterproof is a must for me. I do not like a wet surprise :)

thanks again for helping in pulling the trigger!
  12. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    No worries, mate. The US-30 will do the job admirably. Plus, as well as the shoulder strap, it comes with waist straps, which will keep the bag held tight against you, so that it doesn't slide or blow around while riding, if you want to wear it as a messenger bag at times.

Cheers,

Michael
  13. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    How's this for a bit of fun from our mates over at MotoGeo?

You can get the backstory here: http://www.kriegausa.blogspot.com/2012/09/kriega-presents-motogeo.html

Code:
    <iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rHpsRp5eOQ8?feature=player_embedded" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>
    Then series 'proper' will cover all kinds of machines and rides - both on- and off-road - and include more bike, gear and route info. Plus, well be sorting out the lads' luggage and building a bad-ass XR650R camera bike! :evil

Whaddy'all reckon?

Michael
  14. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    I'll second that.

I used the US-30 Combo while making the inaugural run of the new Colorado Backcountry Discovery Route as part of Touratech USA's Advance Scouting Team. I'll use it again this weekend riding into Montana with the Mobius duo, Big Dog, ADV's "Bob" and Dingweed. The Combo fits the seat space behind me on my KLR perfectly, not interfering with access to anything. Efficient indeed. The set could hardly be easier to put on and take off the bike with those quick clips. I am thinking, tho, that one larger bag, rather than two smaller ones, makes it easier to find stuff.

I use the R3 waistpack in lieu of a tank bag. Not as convenient overall, but it goes where I go, and doesn't interfere when I'm on the pegs in the rough. It all seems very tough, very high quality.

Here's the US-30 Combo on Day 1 of the COBDR run--before I learned to attached the straps from the top bag to the loops you can see on the bottom bag instead of the subframe. Duh ...

[​IMG]

Here's the US-20 pack doing double-duty as food storage in bear country:

[​IMG]

And finally, in Montana with ADV's continuing Mobius odyssey for two days of exhilarating backcountry travel:

[​IMG]
  15. Bartron

Bartron 'Tenacious B' the Bike Punisher

Oddometer:
    Just a note to say I used the Kriega 15 backpack this weekend for some dirt biking. The hydration system was great, I had no idea the pack was even there as there was no side to side slop and it did not interfere with my Leatt.

Overall very happy with the purchase.
  16. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Departing tomorrow for the Australasian Safari Rally! Thanks for everything, Kriega!! Woot!
  17. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    Thanks for representing, Jason!

Good luck for the race, mate. Sure you'll do us proud.
  18. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    Perfect! :clap

Thanks for the feedback and enjoy your rides with Kriega!

Cheers,

Michael
  19. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    That's what we're here for, Tony! :D

Thanks for sharing the pics.

Cheers,

Michael
  20. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    No pics yet as my bike is still apart... but I started packing the Overlander30 kit. I will post pics once everything is together and semi-organized (it always takes me a couple trips to get everything exactly where I like it).

My initial packing thoughts are that the rectangular shape of the bags makes it much easier to pack than some of my previous luggage systems.