Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2012, 03:09 AM   #136
sendler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 692
Scooters are generally very stable on gravel due to the ultra low cg. My pPCX doesn't wander nearly as much on gravel at 30 mph as my CBR250R or Ninja250. It just goes straight. The ride is never going to be as smooth over bad pavement as a heavier bike but it isn't bad but the auto trans, cruiser position, and 98 mpgUS are really cool.
sendler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:54 AM   #137
maddiedog
PCX or GTFO

Oddometer: 241
I've ridden on gravel before on my PCX, no issues whatsoever. You can see from this image of me riding on the beach that the ground clearance is reasonable, at least 6":

(The bike almost fell over right after the above picture, stand + sand = fall down )

I don't recommend riding on sand, but I had no issues at all riding on the beach. I've ridden on some gnarly gravel and bottomed out on a couple of potholes, but the centerstand took the impact like a champ and she kept on chugging.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:08 AM   #138
nedc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Laugh

I didn't know there were any beaches in Marietta!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddiedog View Post
I've ridden on gravel before on my PCX, no issues whatsoever. You can see from this image of me riding on the beach that the ground clearance is reasonable, at least 6":

(The bike almost fell over right after the above picture, stand + sand = fall down )

I don't recommend riding on sand, but I had no issues at all riding on the beach. I've ridden on some gnarly gravel and bottomed out on a couple of potholes, but the centerstand took the impact like a champ and she kept on chugging.
nedc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:43 AM   #139
maddiedog
PCX or GTFO

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedc View Post
I didn't know there were any beaches in Marietta!

I need to do more ride reports! I rode down to Daytona Beach last year. It was a good ride, but uneventful.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:19 PM   #140
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,819
While I have no problem with doing the valves myself, it just takes too long on the PCX. I have a Genuine Stella that needs to be worked on on a regular basis, and it doesn't even have any valves. So I decided to get a Yamaha Zuma 125. It is very easy to do the valves on. Just like my Vino 125, except there are 4 valves instead of 2. I love tinkering with the Stella, but I'm looking for something mostly to ride here. They could make scooters with hydraulic valves if they wanted to, my guess it would cause them to lose money on service. My Goldwing (currently for sale) and Vulcan 750 have hydraulic valves, and Harleys (Harleys!!!!) have had them like forever.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:33 PM   #141
sendler
Studly Adventurer

I didn't feel like waiting for GiviUSA to get the rack for my B33 trunk so I made one myself out of 1"x1/8 aluminum angle. The bolts are m8x1.25 by 65 mm long. The spacers are aluminum tube 39 and 34 mm long. The PCX tail piece is marked on the inside for the cut outs. Cut away the plastic webbing from the universal plate as shown for the first bolt hole. The B33 case looks nice and is aero enough so as not to make any difference to reaching the limited top speed but is a little small for a backpack with a laptop. I may have to spring for a larger case and just use this one for it's good looks, and as a back rest and to hold the second jacket and helmet of a passenger.

.I also did my seat "humpectomy" by myself. The two humps are cut away individually, leaving the middle piece of the seat tub for support of the new foam which was stacked from two layers of rebond I got as a scrap for free. A washer fluid jug provided the two pieces of plastic to support the foam from underneath. I didn't even need to glue anything in as it just stays by itself. Even just two layers of foam is a little too thick so I may fine tune that some more later. The fabric store had a nice selection of vinyl that matched the seat pretty well so I cut out 4 circles the size of the washer fluid jug cap and glued them on underneath and on top to cover the holes with some special vinyl repair glue. It seems very durable so far and save me the $120 that the upholstery shop wanted to do the mod.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:26 PM   #142
sendler
Studly Adventurer

Ran my PCX150 empty. Coasted onto the side street under a handy street light and poured in a bottle worth to get me moving again. Filled the tank and the bottle again with 1.639 gallonsUS/ 6.204 liters. That is really all it can hold right to the edge of the cap. The last bar flashes at about .35 gallonsUS/ 1.325 liters.
157 miles for 95 mpg. Does the cold weather or the top box cost me 3% on top of whaterver advantage the Mobil 1 would have given me.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:39 PM   #143
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 754
That PCX...is tempting.

I've had thoughts about selling my Big Ruck and buying one...amazing how low the price is. I could sell the BR, buy the PCX, and have about $1800 in walking-around money. AND a new scoot, more economical.

But I probably won't. First, because this is the wrong time to sell; even though the local dealer has a PCX on the floor.

Second, because the BR is one of few two-wheeled Asian machines that has room enough for me. And with that...I'm a big guy, and me on the PCX would look like an elephant riding a peanut!

And with it...the glowing performance reports by the buff books are probably overstated. Top speed was probably done with the lightest, smallest rider...and I need to be able to do 65.

Finally....the PCX, while it looks clean, is just one more Asian scooter in appearance. The BR is unique.

So...take it all together...I probably won't do a swap.

Probably.

1999 BMW R1100RT - backsliding on the Scooter Life.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:50 PM   #144
Castle
Red Cloud Slept Here

Oddometer: 1,141
The PCX 150 is a nice scoot. I really like mine. Ride it more than the little Ruck, but that is mainly because it is faster and has storage. Great for around town. I'm seeing about 62 on the top end (thin air here) and 99mpg. It will likely go faster as it gets broken in; I know the little Ruck did. Top box seems to make no difference in performance.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-12-2012, 08:45 PM   #145
lifer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
The PCX is a nice scooter but it still falls short. The drawbacks I see are that there is no ABS brakes available and 14 in. tires are expensive and there are few choices. It also needs a windshield that will actually do something for you. The Windshield can be fixed with aftermarket but untile ABS and the tire situation are fixed I would not purchase a new PCX. The valve adjustment situation is not a good selling point either but I could live with it if it had the other things corrected.
lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:32 AM   #146
sendler
Studly Adventurer

The OEM tires are pretty good. A windscreen is $100 and a 5 minute install.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:13 AM   #147
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifer View Post
The PCX is a nice scooter but it still falls short. The drawbacks I see are that there is no ABS brakes available and 14 in. tires are expensive and there are few choices. It also needs a windshield that will actually do something for you. The Windshield can be fixed with aftermarket but untile ABS and the tire situation are fixed I would not purchase a new PCX. The valve adjustment situation is not a good selling point either but I could live with it if it had the other things corrected.
There are no small scooters (new) available in the US with ABS that I know of. There is only one small motorcycle available with ABS(CBR250). It is possible to ride safely without ABS. I would be more concerned about the linked brakes that come on the PCX. Personally I wouldn't even want ABS on a small lightweight scooter. I might think differently if I lived somewhere that got a lot of rain and/or had slippery roads but here in the US there are few choices unless you get a maxi scooter or a mid sized or larger motorcycle.

As more PCXs are sold, I'm sure some more 14" tires will become available and the price will likely come down.

klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:09 AM   #148
Kmart
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifer View Post
Replacement tires are $45 front and $56 rear, not really that expensive. Selection is limited but the stock IRC tire is very decent so who cares. My mountain bike tires are $60-$80 a piece by comparison. Givi makes a couple windshields reasonably priced. As previously stated, nothing on the US market in this class comes with ABS so it's a very distant whish list.
Kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:50 AM   #149
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,647
If the PCX continues to sell well, I wouldn't be surprised if ABS became an option (in the US) in the next couple of years. Actually, I'll be surprised if they don't offer it. I'd expect it to be a $500 option like on the CBR250.

klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:58 AM   #150
sendler
Studly Adventurer

I had a chance to try the brakes on the PCX the other day and they work very well. On a country road at 55 with a car in my distant mirror pushing the pace. Topped a crest on a left hand sweeper to see a school bus stopped on the other side of the road. I grabbed two handfulls of brake and the bike stopped perfectly and surprisingly shorter than I thought it would. No drama. perfect balance. I even had room to check my mirrors and let the car behind me have a bit more room. Great combined brakes and nice tires.