Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2012, 02:30 PM   #69061
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
Yeah, both can be exorbitant
True, I was thinking I was gonna have to buy a new crank for my Wee Strom. It would have actually been cheaper to buy a used, low mileage motor on E-Bay then buy a new crank. How sad is that? Got a buddy that just bought a used DRZ motor with 1600 miles on it for about the same price it would have cost him to get a top end rebuild on his motor with 40K miles on it.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:47 PM   #69062
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
?
DR is heavy because it's not a dirtbike, though some try to make it one.
This bike has ALOT more HP per weight than the DR so it's gonna be fast.
Define "dirtbike"
Old 09-12-2012, 03:30 PM   #69063
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
at a $1000 more than the DR what does everyone think of the 650 Terra?
it's only $500 more than the 2013 KLR...who knows what Suzuki is doing for 2013???

this is hard to overlook: 58 horsepower
'Nice price and it looks nice. I think a DR would still be more versatile for most things though, what with it's 16yr production run and subsequent aftermarket support. The DR is also VERY simple. If something is wrong with my bike, I want to be able to fix it and get out riding again. I don't want to be waiting MONTHS for some dealer tech to figure out what's wrong. Being able to diagnose and fix it on the side of a trail is a BIG plus.

I also like having the option of a 250-mile range, a 400-mile+ range, or leaving it pretty stock. I don't need 58HP on a sub-370lb dualsport, and I don't want a heavier, more-complicated, less-durable bike for beating around in the dirt. If I can affordably build my DR to make mid-40s WHP or more, and add fully-adjustable suspension, without making it more difficult to live with, I'm happy.

I wouldn't want to pick it up from the mud, rocks, and roots every weekend like I can a DR. It might have more space for 2up riding though.

Kommando screwed with this post 09-12-2012 at 03:47 PM
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:29 PM   #69064
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22 View Post
can one of you bro's remind me: what year/model had the change of the third gear part num???
Dunno if this got answered. 2006 from what I've heard.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:41 PM   #69065
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeterPig View Post
Define "dirtbike"
your DR650 of course.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:52 PM   #69066
thetable
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
What's sad is if I go to my local Suzuki/Yamaha/Kawasaki/KTM dealer who rarely has anything in stock, I have to wait a week for an ordered part regardless of which brand it is. They only do a parts order once a week. I can actually order it myself online, get it quicker, cheaper, and not pay sales tax.
I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem. I go into the any of the local Suzi/Kawi shops, and I get "we can order that." And this is for stuff that the FSM calls for to be replaced every time the bike is serviced, like the crush washers, and cam cover gaskets. It just makes me glad that I don't actually take my bikes to them to have any work done. First time I did the valve adjustment on my KLR, I didn't find the size shims I needed before I got to the fourth phone number.
thetable is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:28 PM   #69067
buckrut1972
H.R. Nightmare

Oddometer: 112
Go easy on me....

Ok, I'm new to this all and only have 1,000 on a seat attached to 2 wheels with a motor in between. I picked up a 09 DR650 and love it. It was stock and I've added a few bolt add-ons. If I can figure how to post pic's I'll show y'all what I got. I'm just running back and forth to work a few times a week and an occasional weekend trip. I'm turning 4k right at 65mph and when I get closer to 70 I get a bit of shimmy. I've been reading a bit about changing the amount of teeth on either sprocket. I'm sticking to the side roads and keeping off the interstate until I get this figured out. I'm somewhat mechanically inclined but learning so use small words and speak slow. Any input would more than welcome.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:04 PM   #69068
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckrut1972 View Post
Ok, I'm new to this all and only have 1,000 on a seat attached to 2 wheels with a motor in between. I picked up a 09 DR650 and love it. It was stock and I've added a few bolt add-ons. If I can figure how to post pic's I'll show y'all what I got. I'm just running back and forth to work a few times a week and an occasional weekend trip. I'm turning 4k right at 65mph and when I get closer to 70 I get a bit of shimmy. I've been reading a bit about changing the amount of teeth on either sprocket. I'm sticking to the side roads and keeping off the interstate until I get this figured out. I'm somewhat mechanically inclined but learning so use small words and speak slow. Any input would more than welcome.
W h a t' s t h e q u e s t i o n ?

You mentioned gearing: I rode 285 miles Monday and my moving average was 56mph. Stock 15-42 gearing, cruising 65-70mph. I'm a fan of the one tooth larger countershaft sprocket (16t), but I didn't miss it all day. Anything faster and I'd have the 16t on.

Shimmy: I've always balanced my tires, I enjoy the garage time. Then if something's weird, I don't have to wonder if it's the balance. I'm running a new DOT knobby on the front (Pirelli) and a worn out dual sport tire on the back (Kenda 270). Prop the bike up and spin the front tire, is it round?

Be careful out there, we don't get in fender benders; we get in the ambulance. Wear a helmet (full coverage is my choice), gloves, and something higher than your ankles on your feet. Read "Proficient Motorcycling" by David L. Hough. Take a basic riding class, your insurance will go down. Learn how to use your front brake, it's the most important control on the bike. Start slow, but learn how to do threshold braking. It will save yer butt. For reference, I practice a few times every ride, not once a year. AND, always look behind you before practicing (I ride solo, in low traffic, so it's usually clear behind me).

If you like it here and plan on learning more, take notes in a word.doc for instance. In a month you'll be thinking 'where the hell did I see that?' Go back 100 pages and start reading, we're stuck in a permanent loop here: just like The Twilight Zone.

How to post a pic, you need a remote hosting site. I use Smugmug. It isn't free, but Baldy is the guy that makes this site and I want to support his efforts.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=919
Welcome to the asylum.

Monday:

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 09-12-2012 at 06:27 PM
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:08 PM   #69069
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,157
Three weeks ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post

Monday:
49 Sunbeam S7 Deluxe-57 TR6 Trophy-68 Huskys x 2-71 Commando Fastback-73 Ducati 750GT-73 Eldorado-74 TR5T x 2-74 Commando Roadster-73 and 74 H2A/B-77 and 81 900SD's-86 400WR-98 TL1000S x 2-08 DR780-07 Ducati HM 1100S
ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:33 PM   #69070
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

A short note on carburetion, stock, TM-40 (tell us again)? Did you have to adjust as you went, needle, MJ? Remove the airbox cover?

Did you have to push? Did you or the bike need oxygen?

It's 8:30 pm here, what time is it there?

OBTW: fookin' awesome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV8 View Post
Three weeks ago.

Quote:
Old 09-12-2012, 09:35 PM   #69071
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV8 View Post
Three weeks ago.
The first bragger always looses
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:40 PM   #69072
dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
Totally agree about the 606's. They weren't half bad in the dirt at all, but my god, they made an awful noise on pavement. ... How were your experiences with the 700's? They're in that same price range, and they definitely look gnarlier than the 705's.
I just mounted up a front 606 on my DR and I have 705's on my WeeStrom. The front 705 howls like a banshee at 40-50 mph. Maybe the wind and other things drown it out on the DR, but the 606 is silent in comparison. But .... I started with 22 psi in the 606 and it was feeling pretty loose around 65-68 indicated. The old Trailwing was very stable up to indicated 95 or so. I bumped the 606 up to 30 psi and it's a bit better, but definitely not as stable as the Bridgestone. I balanced it myself and know it's good. Otherwise I like the 606 ... I only tried a short stretch of hardpack, but much better than the Trailwing and it sticks just fine in the twisties.

-dman
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:52 PM   #69073
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
Not to start a heavy heated argument but I see a lot of people on here raving about the 800XC as a replacement for the DR650.

I say...NO WAY IN HELL is it even comparable. And it'll be a cold day that a street bike even comes close to competing with the DR.

Why???

Simply because it weighs more than 100lbs more, is shocked/strutted for street use, and gets horrible (low 40's) gas mileage before adding things like panniers.

I used to have an 800GS which is a hell of a better off-road adventure bike than the 800XC (better shocks, lighter weight, better gas mileage) and the 800GS was STILL about 100lbs too heavy without accessories.

So I challenge anyone who is touting the "XC" as a replacement for the DR to step up and give us some proof. Seriously. I just don't think the XC has any chance of being anything more than another street machine.

The DR is an OFF-ROAD machine and A STREET machine all in one. 80 mph on the highway then bombing the rocky single track and rutted trail with ease. What other bike can do that? That is all.
I don't believe the 800GS BMW is all that much better than the XC off road. Neither come close to the DR.

Other than that I agree ... although everyone I know with F800's replaces the suspension first thing. Also ... they DO HAVE some issues ... unlike the little Tiger, which has been relatively bullet proof.

The point you missed was what happens on either of those bikes even with a minor tip over. EXPENSIVE!! The DR crashes very well ... with bark busters and case covers ... its nearly indestructible. I know this from personal experience and 48K miles on my current DR. (I've had three)
When the GS or XC hit the ground ... $$$$$$$$$$$ !!!

If you stay on pavement then the XC Tiger is a smooth, fun and good handling bike. Not all that fast but has a nice personality. Once packed up for the road she's a heavy beast, well over 500 lbs. Still, fun and engaging and good on ANY paved road... and did I mention reliable? Unlike the F800GS.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:03 PM   #69074
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Bluhduh

Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
The first bragger always looses.
Oh, look, there's another one of these:

Probably snowed up there today (here).

Quote:
Old 09-12-2012, 10:10 PM   #69075
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelers View Post
I know that a lot of people value a lot of horsepower, but that isn't one of my priorities.

I want simplicity/field repair-ability, good fuel economy, runs fine with low octane fuel, sturdy for luggage capacity, cheap to maintain, easy to fix, light weight, tough, good price, fairly cheap upgrades (fuel tank), and decent comfort.

After those, 2-up capacity and power and alternator capacity start coming into play. But, I'd prefer not to sacrifice much fuel economy or weight gain if possible.
Very accurate comments!
On long adventure-travel rides (especially out of USA) big Horse power means nothing ... and is useless. The above points listed are what counts on a loaded up bike 4000 miles from home.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote