Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2012, 08:33 PM   #69061
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926

A short note on carburetion, stock, TM-40 (tell us again)? Did you have to adjust as you went, needle, MJ? Remove the airbox cover?

Did you have to push? Did you or the bike need oxygen?

It's 8:30 pm here, what time is it there?

OBTW: fookin' awesome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV8 View Post
Three weeks ago.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:35 PM   #69062
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,203
Quote:
Three weeks ago.
The first bragger always looses
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:40 PM   #69063
dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
Totally agree about the 606's. They weren't half bad in the dirt at all, but my god, they made an awful noise on pavement. ... How were your experiences with the 700's? They're in that same price range, and they definitely look gnarlier than the 705's.
I just mounted up a front 606 on my DR and I have 705's on my WeeStrom. The front 705 howls like a banshee at 40-50 mph. Maybe the wind and other things drown it out on the DR, but the 606 is silent in comparison. But .... I started with 22 psi in the 606 and it was feeling pretty loose around 65-68 indicated. The old Trailwing was very stable up to indicated 95 or so. I bumped the 606 up to 30 psi and it's a bit better, but definitely not as stable as the Bridgestone. I balanced it myself and know it's good. Otherwise I like the 606 ... I only tried a short stretch of hardpack, but much better than the Trailwing and it sticks just fine in the twisties.

-dman
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:52 PM   #69064
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
Not to start a heavy heated argument but I see a lot of people on here raving about the 800XC as a replacement for the DR650.

I say...NO WAY IN HELL is it even comparable. And it'll be a cold day that a street bike even comes close to competing with the DR.

Why???

Simply because it weighs more than 100lbs more, is shocked/strutted for street use, and gets horrible (low 40's) gas mileage before adding things like panniers.

I used to have an 800GS which is a hell of a better off-road adventure bike than the 800XC (better shocks, lighter weight, better gas mileage) and the 800GS was STILL about 100lbs too heavy without accessories.

So I challenge anyone who is touting the "XC" as a replacement for the DR to step up and give us some proof. Seriously. I just don't think the XC has any chance of being anything more than another street machine.

The DR is an OFF-ROAD machine and A STREET machine all in one. 80 mph on the highway then bombing the rocky single track and rutted trail with ease. What other bike can do that? That is all.
I don't believe the 800GS BMW is all that much better than the XC off road. Neither come close to the DR.

Other than that I agree ... although everyone I know with F800's replaces the suspension first thing. Also ... they DO HAVE some issues ... unlike the little Tiger, which has been relatively bullet proof.

The point you missed was what happens on either of those bikes even with a minor tip over. EXPENSIVE!! The DR crashes very well ... with bark busters and case covers ... its nearly indestructible. I know this from personal experience and 48K miles on my current DR. (I've had three)
When the GS or XC hit the ground ... $$$$$$$$$$$ !!!

If you stay on pavement then the XC Tiger is a smooth, fun and good handling bike. Not all that fast but has a nice personality. Once packed up for the road she's a heavy beast, well over 500 lbs. Still, fun and engaging and good on ANY paved road... and did I mention reliable? Unlike the F800GS.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:03 PM   #69065
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
Bluhduh

Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
The first bragger always looses.
Oh, look, there's another one of these:

Probably snowed up there today (here).

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:10 PM   #69066
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelers View Post
I know that a lot of people value a lot of horsepower, but that isn't one of my priorities.

I want simplicity/field repair-ability, good fuel economy, runs fine with low octane fuel, sturdy for luggage capacity, cheap to maintain, easy to fix, light weight, tough, good price, fairly cheap upgrades (fuel tank), and decent comfort.

After those, 2-up capacity and power and alternator capacity start coming into play. But, I'd prefer not to sacrifice much fuel economy or weight gain if possible.
Very accurate comments!
On long adventure-travel rides (especially out of USA) big Horse power means nothing ... and is useless. The above points listed are what counts on a loaded up bike 4000 miles from home.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:20 PM   #69067
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Three weeks ago.

Nice! What bikes did you rent (or buy) to get up there? Ride Report?
Old 09-13-2012, 01:19 AM   #69068
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post

Did you have to push? Did you or the bike need oxygen?

It's 8:30 pm here, what time is it there?

OBTW: fookin' awesome.
The Royal Enfields went like clockwork.
They were a little like the DR650,less is more.

Time here is 3:18 PM Thursday,the 'boss and yours truly are stting in a cabana drinking Bintang beer by the sea in Lombok / Indonesia.
49 Sunbeam S7 Deluxe-57 TR6 Trophy-68 Huskys x 2-71 Commando Fastback-73 Ducati 750GT-73 Eldorado-74 TR5T x 2-74 Commando Roadster-73 and 74 H2A/B-77 and 81 900SD's-86 400WR-98 TL1000S x 2-08 DR780-07 Ducati HM 1100S
ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:26 AM   #69069
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman View Post
I just mounted up a front 606 on my DR and I have 705's on my WeeStrom. The front 705 howls like a banshee at 40-50 mph. Maybe the wind and other things drown it out on the DR, but the 606 is silent in comparison. But .... I started with 22 psi in the 606 and it was feeling pretty loose around 65-68 indicated. The old Trailwing was very stable up to indicated 95 or so. I bumped the 606 up to 30 psi and it's a bit better, but definitely not as stable as the Bridgestone. I balanced it myself and know it's good. Otherwise I like the 606 ... I only tried a short stretch of hardpack, but much better than the Trailwing and it sticks just fine in the twisties.

-dman
Did you forget to put air in the 705's or something? The 606 was the noisy enough to drown out headphones at freeway speeds. The 705 at the same speed barely makes enough noise to be heard at all.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:37 AM   #69070
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,307
Quote:
Three weeks ago.

from wiki:
"Taglang La, elevation 5,328 metres (17,480 ft), is a high mountain pass located in Ladakh region of the Indianstate of Jammu and Kashmir.

The elevation in metres, which is taken from a local sign, is in agreement with SRTM data. The sign incorrectly claims 17582 feet, which would be 5359 metres, and incorrectly claims the world’s second highest motorable pass. It is reached via 21 Gata loops along the Leh-Manali Highway.

There are higher motorable passes at Kaksang La, Chang La, Khardung La and several more locations in Tibet."

still - WERY cool!!!

doug s.,
jealous, at work in some orifice building basement in downtown dc...
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:39 AM   #69071
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetable View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem. I go into the any of the local Suzi/Kawi shops, and I get "we can order that." And this is for stuff that the FSM calls for to be replaced every time the bike is serviced, like the crush washers, and cam cover gaskets. It just makes me glad that I don't actually take my bikes to them to have any work done. First time I did the valve adjustment on my KLR, I didn't find the size shims I needed before I got to the fourth phone number.
Had to go to 2 different dealers to get the shims I needed for my DL the last time I did a valve adjustment plus 1 other dealer didn't have any of the ones I needed. What's hilarious, I get my shims for my 690 from the local Harley dealer and they have a well stocked shim kit. What's really funny, the shims from the Harley dealer run $2.50, the shims from the the Jap dealers are anywhere from $6 to $7.50.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:34 AM   #69072
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Had to go to 2 different dealers to get the shims I needed for my DL the last time I did a valve adjustment plus 1 other dealer didn't have any of the ones I needed. What's hilarious, I get my shims for my 690 from the local Harley dealer and they have a well stocked shim kit. What's really funny, the shims from the Harley dealer run $2.50, the shims from the the Jap dealers are anywhere from $6 to $7.50.
When I owned Harleys parts were always very reasonaby priced compared to Japenese bike parts.
"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:51 AM   #69073
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobiker View Post
When I owned Harleys parts were always very reasonaby priced compared to Japenese bike parts.
^^^^^This^^^^^
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:11 AM   #69074
Porky
Don't Pass Gas

Oddometer: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobiker View Post
+Harley dealers have lots and lots of parts in stock.

Had to order a clutch cable from the local dealer for my DR. In his words, "we don't normally stock any cables".

No fat chicks, fender will scrape.
Porky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:25 AM   #69075
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
+Harley dealers have lots and lots of parts in stock.

Had to order a clutch cable from the local dealer for my DR. In his words, "we don't normally stock any cables".
If the Japanese used the same parts since 1938 like Harley does then of course it would be easy to keep them in stock.

This is not an exaggeration. I just looked up (at random) the oil pump for a 2012 Sportster. one item is a fitting - part number 63533-41A. That '-41A' at the end of the number means it was first used in 1941. Same part still being used in current production bikes 70 years later. That kind of part longevity makes it easy to keep parts in stock and keep part prices low. It also means you give up a lot of improvement and innovation.

Japanese brand motorcycle dealer parts departments have an nearly impossible task. We want them to always have the parts we need on hand but the economics of the business don't allow that. When I started in the motorcycle parts business back in the early 80s our rule of thumb to justify keeping an item in stock was it has to make at least 4 turns per year. That means if you only sold 2 or 3 VF750S Saber speedometer cables per year stocking them would be a money loosing decision. In these modern days of shrinking margins the things you keep on hand better move faster than that if you want to stay in business.

A current mid sized dealer might sell a million dollars in parts per year. That sales volume might justify around $200,000 of inventory. A good parts manager has to spend that money wisely. There are probably well over a thousand Suzuki cable part numbers. Will the DR650 clutch cable make the cut? Doubtful, especially when the dealer can have a factory cable delivered in a few days or an aftermarket equivalent in a day or two.

When I went to work for a Honda dealer in 1982 Honda had 52 motorcycle & ATV models for sale that year alone. Of course they offer new models or changes to old models every year. The more we get of new models and improvements to old models the more more new part numbers are generated and the more difficult it becomes for the dealer to have any meaningful stock of replacement parts.

We can complain all we want about dealers not having parts in stock but that is not going to change any time soon. What has changed and is continuing to improve is the time it takes to get those parts from the parts warehouse to the buyer.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote