ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2012, 09:23 AM   #6796
pineconeMN
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 866
That was Flash coming home from work! She took back roads yesterday to avoid the 30mph wind gusts on the freeway.
pineconeMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:45 AM   #6797
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by pineconeMN View Post
She took back roads yesterday to avoid the 30mph wind gusts on the freeway.
This is what I love about women - you're smart. I'd have hopped on the interstate, getting blown all over the road and nearly run over by semis, and then whined about it.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:08 AM   #6798
Spikehead
Two-Bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 6,233
I love many things about the wimmens.

"I was tempted by the Invisible Man, I surely was." -Propforward
Spikehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:12 AM   #6799
propforward
Mime Hurler

Oddometer: 12,429

Indiana Jones wears one.
propforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:19 AM   #6800
Metallic Waste
Wearing the Cone Of Shame

Oddometer: 3,942
'Twas windy, indeed. I did jump on the innerstates, but had no real issues getting home. The DR is so much better in wind then the dreaded Ninjette.

However, I discovered that the DR's petcock is leaking. Ordered a Raptor petcock for it last night, so I hope to have that by the end of the week. Now I need to remember to turn the gas on and off. I think the Vespa is the only bike that I own with a manual petcock, at the moment.

Anyone go to the Grumpy's show yesterday?
-K

--GSAnderson
Metallic Waste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:23 AM   #6801
propforward
Mime Hurler

That DR is clearly falling to bits, and is a disaster. I'll come and take it away so that you don't have to worry about it any more.

I did not go to Grumpys. Did valve checks on the Tiger. All valves good! Yay!

Indiana Jones wears one.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:12 PM   #6802
Powershouse
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
This is what I love about women - you're smart. I'd have hopped on the interstate, getting blown all over the road and nearly run over by semis, and then whined about it.
Ahem. I was on that road also.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:39 PM   #6803
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powershouse View Post
Ahem. I was on that road also.
You can redeem your kiss at the next M&G.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:02 PM   #6804
propforward
Mime Hurler

Random fun.

From a UK TV show called "Big Train".

You may recognise Simon Pegg (from Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, Paul)

Indiana Jones wears one.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:07 AM   #6805
jwalters
Farkle Proliferator

Oddometer: 2,232
Just re-read this. Thanks again for the post, I'm going to track this Jim guy down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikehead View Post

Also, to the OP, if you're up in the arrowhead, I'd recommend making contact with Jim Ransom out of Duluth. Jim is a old bike guy, has some nice stuff and, I think, farms out the mechanical stuff. Perhaps you can find "his guy" and not have to make such a trip to get your work done.

His name escapes me right now, but there's a guy in Cameron or Chetek, WI who comes highly recommended by some. Not sure if he works on Brit stuff, but I don't know why not. PM inmate Codger for contact details.
Anyone want to meet up at the Viking Swap Meet this weekend at the North State Fairgrounds?

Proliferator of Farkles of Mass Percussion
jwalters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:44 AM   #6806
Spikehead
Two-Bit Throttle Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalters View Post
Just re-read this. Thanks again for the post, I'm going to track this Jim guy down.
I'll email him to see if I can share his contact info with you.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:15 AM   #6807
swann
Just practicing...

Oddometer: 273
I got my first motorcycle!!

Okay, a tiny bit of back story first. I've wanted a Rebel since I first rode one in my motorcycle safety class in 1994. They didn't have the license endorsement as part of the course back in those days. I took the class again a couple weeks ago and got my endorsement. So I've been wanting to ride for a very long time. Hubby finally said I could get one after I sent him a link to one for sale locally.

So last night, I drove a motorcycle on a real road, all by myself! I rode from Buffalo through St. Michael and Albertville! Big deal, right? :) It was to me. I've been a passenger on the street before but I've only been the rider in parking lots and the motorcycle safety class. I was surprised at the strength of the wind on my biceps and the helmet, and how the air swirled around and pulled on my helmet after a semi tractor cab passed me. I think I got up to a whopping 57 mph but I certainly wasn't the fastest thing on the road as I hovered between 50 and 55! I was mainly concerned about watching the road, traffic and anything approaching the road from the side, making sure I turned off the blinker, and my speed. Hubby followed me so I wasn't worried as long as he was the one behind me. I stayed between the lines and kept the shiny side up. And I didn't kill it once, not even when I took a left from the stop sign into traffic and I was apparently in second gear - huckhuckhuck my bike was either laughing or scolding me for that one. If my hubby wasn't so nervous about me, I'm sure he would have been laughing as he followed me home. I also learned that I'll need to practice shifting while driving since I wobbled around a little every time I changed gears. And I'll have to see if I can move the clutch lever closer to the handle because I have short fingers, and having to stretch my fingers may have been part of the reason for the wobbling. The rest of the reason was undoubtedly my incompetence.

I wasn't expecting to get a bike until spring and I quickly realized there are some things I don't know as a newbie. Like filling the gas tank. The guy who sold it to me said it was low on gas so I headed straight for the gas station. I had never thought about it before, but it's not like a car or truck gas tank, where I can put in the nozzle, lock it open, and wait for the pump to automatically shut off. I had to hold the handle while pumping gas and look in the tank. I stopped when it looked like the tank was pretty full but not going to overflow. I tested it and the pump would stop if I kept the end in and the gas was deep enough to cover the tip of the nozzle. I ended up putting in about a gallon and a half. I wasn't sure how much to put in. I'll have to look up info on the Rebel to find out how much gas the tank is supposed to hold since it didn't come with an owners manual. I expect I'll find out more things I didn't know as I go along. I felt kinda stupid but filling up a motorcycle is different from filling up a car. Anyone have a "Student Driver" flag I can fly on my bike? I'm sure I'll find more things I didn't know as I bumble along. I read through the whole noobs thread and don't remember seeing anything about filling the gas tank. When I feel confident in my gas filling technique, I'll post that there unless someone beats me to it and/or tells me how to fill the gas tank the right way.

Just a warning, I've finally finished reading through all the Twin City photo tag postings, and I have a few destinations in mind. If I can get up my courage and the time, I will be popping up over there too.

Now I'll see if I can follow the directions to upload a picture of me on the bike last night just before heading out for home!
swann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:24 AM   #6808
propforward
Mime Hurler

Swann - congratulations and well done. You have taken a step into one of the funnest things that you can do. Go easy and ride safe. Ask questions, we'll help you out any way we can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swann View Post
Big deal, right? :) It was to me.
It is a very big deal. Your first solo motorcycle ride can be very tense. I know mine was. I'm sure it is for most people. It sounds like you did just fine. Keep riding, everything will start to get easier - gear changes etc. If you were taking off in second then your clutch control is good, so I'd say you're off to a good start.

Quote:
Just a warning, I've finally finished reading through all the Twin City photo tag postings, and I have a few destinations in mind. If I can get up my courage and the time, I will be popping up over there too.
Good. The tag game provides a good reason to just go and ride somewhere. Unlike the new thumb of Michigan game, where they allow tagging using a car.

As for the gas tank thing, you can fill up pretty full. I usually hold the end of the nozzle level with the bottom of the neck in the filler hole, and fill close to there. Different bikes vary a little bit, in general you want to be sort of just a little below the bottom of the neck. You'll figure it out. I don't lock the pump on when filling the bike, as there is no way to just leave the pump nozzle in place. Be ready for that situation where you accidentally bump the pump lock in place on the handle if that happens, just shove the nozzle in the tank quick to shut the pump off.

Above all, have fun and ride safely. I look forward to seeing your bike at the meet and greet next week.

Indiana Jones wears one.

propforward screwed with this post 09-13-2012 at 09:31 AM
Old 09-13-2012, 09:30 AM   #6809
Spikehead
Two-Bit Throttle Bum

:

Old 09-13-2012, 09:51 AM   #6810
safetybob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by swann View Post
So last night, I drove a motorcycle on a real road, all by myself! I rode from Buffalo through St. Michael and Albertville! Big deal, right? :) It was to me.

Awesome, simply awesome! that brought back memories long past gone in my memory bank i though dead by my beloved beer Awesome for you! And yes it is a big deal! very big deal. And a very special one. Thanks for sharing!!!!!!!! Many happy miles to you!!!!
safetybob is offline   Reply With Quote