Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2012, 10:39 AM   #69091
thetable
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by maynard911 View Post
Read Procycle's comment more carefully, especially the part that says " I just looked up (at random) the oil pump for a 2012 Sportster. one item is a fitting - part number 63533-41A".
I still see the statement as misleading. Imagine if Suzuki were to put the year on their parts, well other than making crossrefferencing much easier, we'd be able to see that Suzuki has been using the same banjo bolt in the brakes since before time started. Seriously, it's a straight fitting, and it has been updated at least once since Harley went to the current part numbering system (the A at the end.)

I do appreciate all the work that Procycle has done for DR parts, but of all the reasons to bad mouth HD, that's reaching.
thetable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:52 AM   #69092
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,130
705 vs 606

I have to agree... the 705's for me are damn near silent. When I ran 606's on my DR650, their whine was audible over the wind noise (with earplugs in).

I run Kenda Trackmaster II's on my KLX250S, and they while pretty good too on the road, but I'm not sure they're as loud as the 606's.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:31 AM   #69093
Richguzzi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetable View Post
I do appreciate all the work that Procycle has done for DR parts, but of all the reasons to bad mouth HD, that's reaching.
I personally did not see where anyone was bad mouthing HD. Even for making the same part since 1941 is that really a bad thing?

Slow old grey haired guys with arthritis and other ailments rule!
Richguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:41 AM   #69094
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,069
Quote:
I'd hardly call what Procycle said as bad mouthing.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:43 AM   #69095
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,130
While I'm no fan of Harleys (more due to their excessive Bling factor and the fact that many of their proponents are in it more for the image than for the ride), I can appreciate the "old" parts that never change. The Japanese tend to reinvent everything every 4-6 years just for the sake of reinventing it. I say, if it ain't broke, don't reinvent it. But then you can't really laud Harley for this to keep costs low because their bikes are massively overpriced (IMO).

Crap I don't remember where I was going with this. Oh well. Love that DR650! :)

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:48 AM   #69096
Tech23
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
Quote:
I still see the statement as misleading. Imagine if Suzuki were to put the year on their parts, well other than making crossrefferencing much easier, we'd be able to see that Suzuki has been using the same banjo bolt in the brakes since before time started. Seriously, it's a straight fitting, and it has been updated at least once since Harley went to the current part numbering system (the A at the end.)

Really it's a damn fitting, how long did the Military use the Willy's. Theres something to be said for parts interchangeability...hey wait a minute, when was the last time time frickin DR got an update? I think they went from a junky under the perch clutch switch to a plunger style a few years back...oooh.....ahhhhh, lets not forget the BNG they get every other year or so. I could be wrong about this too but it might be possible that HD sells a few more bikes than Suzuki sells DR's.

Straight Male Gas/Oil Fitting, Chrome OEM 63533-41A SKU 40-0566

I'm not sure any improvement is even necessary here. I'd be willing to listen to suggestions though. Been the same for 70 years... go figure.

You can cross reference Suzuki parts quite easily if you are creative in your online searches.

Tech23

2000 Harley Davidson FXDWG
2011 Victory Cross Country

Tech23 screwed with this post 09-13-2012 at 12:12 PM
Tech23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:57 PM   #69097
sandwash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,291
Well............that the hey,parts are parts,just be lucky that you can get them in a some what timely manner.Sheeesh
Old 09-13-2012, 03:17 PM   #69098
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex76 View Post
We all have different definitions of the perfect bike(s), that's what keeps things interesting, but I think I speak for everyone when I say GOOD LUCK TRYING TO GET A WOMAN TO AGREE TO 5 BIKES!!!! (and if she does agree, does she have a sister?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
My girlfriend is all about the five bikes as long as I let her have her five bikes as well. And yes, she has a sister.
Hehe, my wife and I definitely have no restraint when it comes to bikes. I think we have 8 in the garage right now. She really doesn't seem to mind since she just got a 2012 Ducati Monster 696 about a month ago.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:47 PM   #69099
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
While I'm no fan of Harleys (more due to their excessive Bling factor and the fact that many of their proponents are in it more for the image than for the ride), I can appreciate the "old" parts that never change. The Japanese tend to reinvent everything every 4-6 years just for the sake of reinventing it. I say, if it ain't broke, don't reinvent it. But then you can't really laud Harley for this to keep costs low because their bikes are massively overpriced (IMO).

Crap I don't remember where I was going with this. Oh well. Love that DR650! :)

Rob
Then there is the fitting they SHOULD change due to obvious failure and they don't.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:58 PM   #69100
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,194
Quote:
Odd, when I look up that part number, I get "Product ID: 63533-41A, FITTING, STRAIGHT" from one site, and from another "FITTING, STRAIGHT, W/SEALANT (63533-41A)", with a price between $3.99 and 3.75. I'm pretty sure that isn't an oil pump. I'm no fan of HD and their business practices, but it seems pushing it with the misinformation.
No misinformation there. The fitting is a piece of the oil pump assembly. It's a part H-D has been using for 70+ years.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:00 PM   #69101
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I'm sorry you interpret that as badmouthing. That was certainly not my intention. I was just pointing out one reason why H-D dealers are able to keep many needed parts in stock. And why sometimes they are much less expensive than similar Japanese parts.

In addition I was trying to point out something most non-Harley types don't know - that the first year of many parts life is appended to the part number. If you skim through a H-D parts manual it's amazing how many part numbers are 35+ years old and still going into current bikes.

procycle screwed with this post 09-13-2012 at 04:16 PM
Old 09-13-2012, 04:05 PM   #69102
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeterPig View Post
Then there is the fitting they SHOULD change due to obvious failure and they don't.
Fuel pressure regulator?

Oops!.... That time it was Harley bashing
Old 09-13-2012, 04:07 PM   #69103
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
Fuel pressure regulator?

Oops!.... That time it was Harley bashing
Oh, I was referring to Suzuki, not Hardleys.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:50 PM   #69104
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,410
Question

Hey DR guys. I usually hang out over on the Honda XR650l side of the fence but my buddy has asked me to look at his buds DR650. Looks like a late 90's model. Yellow fork boots and blue/purple frame.

The engine will start and idle but will not take throttle. Once the throttle is twisted some it will rev a bit and then fall on it's face, not accepting throttle. It's my guess that the diaphram in the carb is bad or leaking and not allowing vacuum to lift the slide.

What say you DR guru's?

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:20 PM   #69105
GaThumper
Road Less Traveled

Oddometer: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
I don't believe the 800GS BMW is all that much better than the XC off road. Neither come close to the DR.

Other than that I agree ... although everyone I know with F800's replaces the suspension first thing. Also ... they DO HAVE some issues ... unlike the little Tiger, which has been relatively bullet proof.

The point you missed was what happens on either of those bikes even with a minor tip over. EXPENSIVE!! The DR crashes very well ... with bark busters and case covers ... its nearly indestructible. I know this from personal experience and 48K miles on my current DR. (I've had three)
When the GS or XC hit the ground ... $$$$$$$$$$$ !!!

If you stay on pavement then the XC Tiger is a smooth, fun and good handling bike. Not all that fast but has a nice personality. Once packed up for the road she's a heavy beast, well over 500 lbs. Still, fun and engaging and good on ANY paved road... and did I mention reliable? Unlike the F800GS.
Stay on the pavement, over 500 pounds,

I'll just take my old faithful GS,

Suzuki GS that is, bought new in 1979

'79 GS1000E - about 550 pounds ready to roll, 90 HP, smooth inline 4, still fun 33 years later!

1996 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (for sale) 1987 Yamaha TT600 (for sale)
GaThumper is offline   Reply With Quote