Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2012, 01:18 PM   #1
Cpt. Ron OP
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,052
Bear with me: Wish I had a helmet cam...

Just north of Hayfork on Saturday, straight and mostly level jeep trail. Cruising first in the group in 3rd gear on my 950 (about 35-40 mph) in the right tire track. About 20-ft in front of me, a small black bear flushes out of the bushes on the right side. Standing on the pegs, I have this image burned in my mind: Black bear in full extension run, front tire impacting just behind his left shoulder. No time brake. No time to swerve. No time to even chop the throttle, let alone say "Oh shit!"

Dirt and dust was everywhere. All of the proper gear prevented any abrasions. A couple of small bruises here and there popped up later. But boy did my knee hurt. I'm on my stomach, sucking dust, realizing that I'm OK (excepting the knee/leg). I slowly roll and take stock as I reach over and hit the bike's kill switch. The bike is still pointing in the direction of travel, lying on it's right side. Me, I'm rolling around like a whiny little girl, yelling epithets at a certain individual of ursus americanus. Fucker.

The rest of the crew shows up, baffled at the scene since there is no reason to crash there. The only sign of the bear is a few shit pellets at the site of impact. I didn't even have time to shit my pants, don't know how he managed it. Maybe the 950 IS that intimidating....Eventually got the bike started (that's another story), and tenderly rode out to Hayfork down some steep jeep trails. Finished the ride a couple of hours later (cut short) on easier roads, assisted with a tire change, and finally got back to camp to ice the knee as I drank beer. Right front turn signal gone, bodywork scratched, tank guard bent and scratched to hell, and the forks seem slightly twisted in the triple clamps. Rode it home to Sac on Monday.

Orthopedist is pretty sure it's a torn ACL. MRI to follow to confirm. If I only had a helmet cam. It would almost be worth it if I had video of it.

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:16 PM   #2
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,729
Bummer deal dude, but major props to scaring the shit of the bear. Not much you can do to avoid that short of don't ride...and that ain't gonna happen.

One of the funnier faceplant writeups (Short of the ACL).

Heal fast rider!

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:24 PM   #3
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,516
So, you crashed on a flat easy trail and figured you'd blame it on a bear.... :

Sent from my fat thumbs on a small touch screen.

In short, adaptation is the precursor to growth and seeking out difficult, uncomfortable and challenging situations accelerates development, enriches our lives and provides us with the kind of awesome fucking memories that will sustain us until a final sleep rounds our little lives.
BLOG
fifthcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:54 PM   #4
Cpt. Ron OP
Advrider #128

If I had a buck for every time I've heard that, I could buy a helmet cam....

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:00 PM   #5
tedder
irregular

Oddometer: 8,797
If you didn't brake or swerve, you hit the bear? Got fur?
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:24 PM   #6
Cpt. Ron OP
Advrider #128

Front tire hit the running bear. Turned the wheel to the left, bike and me fell to the right. I did not endo nor did the bike hit the bear with anything else but the wheel that I can figure. Didn't have time (nor the inclination at the time) to see if the bear tumbled or where he ran off to. I wasn't up much for chasing him, either.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:10 PM   #7
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man

Oddometer: 874
Hey Ron
at least we know that a bear shits in the road

i hope its not a torn acl.........did my left one twice......it sucks
01 DR Frankenbike 650
76 CB750
bobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:27 PM   #8
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,267
Lucky the bear did not get mad.
Or hungry.

Or knew how to ride your bike.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:59 AM   #9
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,508
Holy cow, Cpt. Ron!

A fuckin' bear! Good news is that there's not much chance of that happening again. Right?

Heal up!

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:16 AM   #10
Cpt. Ron OP
Advrider #128

Birds, squirrels and rabbits were getting boring....

I just wish I killed it. I'd have to bring back the confirmed kill stickers I had on my PD. I'd proudly wear a bear shadow on the 950 after this incident.

One of my 'supportive' and 'concerned' riding buddies sent me this:

Old 09-14-2012, 07:40 AM   #11
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

I guess since the chances are pretty slim that this kind of thing will happen again, the helmet cam is out, right?

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
Old 09-14-2012, 09:51 AM   #12
Cpt. Ron OP
Advrider #128

I've held off on getting a helmet video camera due to the time and energy it takes to edit and parse down to get just the good stuff. I have a hard enough time just getting ride reports done with still pictures.

Speaking of which, this is all I've got post-crash. By the time I took this, five of my buddies had rolled through the scene, so I didn't find any tracks from the offender. Just some pellets he squeezed out as my tire compressed his abdomen (or so I suppose). Just a piece of shit, I guess. In more ways than one....

Looking at how it's not a neat pile in one spot, I can hope I at least sent him tumbling. Back at ya, beotch! Of course, I did hurt him first, so maybe this is his back at ya beotch moment....

Old 09-14-2012, 09:54 AM   #13
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Nice.

I think I see some blueberries in there.

Old 09-14-2012, 09:57 AM   #14
Cpt. Ron OP
Advrider #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceRph View Post
Nice.

I think I see some blueberries in there.
Better than my berries....

Come to think of it, if it was a honey badger, I wouldn't have even gotten that pic. Lucky me.

Cpt. Ron screwed with this post 09-14-2012 at 10:58 AM
Old 09-20-2012, 08:47 AM   #15
Ed_in_miami
Cubicle Traveler

Oddometer: 1,258
Maybe bigfoot stole the bear cadaver...

Hope you heal fast!