Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2012, 08:11 PM   #31
godwinmt OP
They call me Crash

Oddometer: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_PDX View Post
Bummer you got a SMIDSY, but I admire your positive attitude about the whole thing. My guess is yer gonna heal up fine, and be tearin it up in the future. Better to happen at the end of summer than the beginning.
thanks for the support! it really helps! worst part so far is knowing that I'm going to miss the awesome fall rides the Indiana crew has been planning!

slightly off topic, but how do you like your WR? I've been looking at future bikes and have been debating between the WR, BMW g450x, and still have that soft spot for the 640 adventures...
godwinmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:10 AM   #32
godwinmt OP
They call me Crash

Well they came for the DR on Monday :(

Definitely hard to see it go...especially when I hit the starter and she fired up better than she ever did before.

Anyhoo I got my splint off Monday morning...Orthopedic surgeon says that as long as I don't put weight on the leg that the rod will hold it all just fine. Pretty awesome since I'll finally be able to shower...sponge baths are fine with cute nurses, but they get old when you're giving them to yourself :(

Big thing to work on over the next 3 weeks before my next appointment is getting mobility back in my joints. I've got just over 90 deg in my knee, and somewhere between 10-15deg in my ankle. The ankle is the worst because there was a bit of muscle damage + having have it been locked up in the splint for 3 weeks, but it's loosening up more and more every day.

After my next appointment if everything is still looking great, they'll schedule me for the bone graft which will be accompanied by a long recovery.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:20 PM   #33
feathered
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
PT is a bitch. At least it's during the winter.. hopefully you'll be ready for a spring ride!? Good luck!

The scariest bit is where you said they were turning in - just some grassy patch, not a driveway or a road. Cars can and will pull a U-turn in the middle of a desolate road... desolate except for the oncoming bike at least. It's hard to keep that in mind hour after hour on the road though.
feathered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:18 PM   #34
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 2,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by godwinmt View Post
sponge baths are fine with cute nurses, but they get old when you're giving them to yourself :(
trying to keep your cast dry in the shower gets old real fast too though. i found the titanium through the leg bone on the previous break much easier to deal with, could just soak in the bathtub for ages, did a km of swimming in a heated pool every day. heaven compared to the cast...
B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:26 PM   #35
PHOTOBMW
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Flashem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max L View Post
wiggle your headlight and small turns mahe a bike less of a dot . Fast healing to you. my arms are yellow n white n black leather and I flap my elbows wile doing the wiggles. must kook odd but every little bit helps,
I am a new rider on a used R1150RT and this is my first post.

I have noticed drivers who just beg to cross in front of you as you are oncoming. I am old enough (55) to know visibility is everything and so wear a bright yellow and silver vest along with all the lights on all the time. My adopted practice ANYTIME someone could remotely cross my path is to give two quick shots of the high beam day or night; its brief and gets them looking my way. I am certain the stock RT headlight is in no way blinding. It has stopped two "cross overs" from sharing my space so far. Dallas is a crowded city even out in the sticks.
Broken bones just don't sound good to me in the least so heal and be healed my friend.
PHOTOBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:34 PM   #36
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 1,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1 View Post
trying to keep your cast dry in the shower gets old real fast too though.
I used a DryPro cast cover for my broken leg. Worked perfectly! I had a cast on for 4 weeks.
http://www.drycorp.com/
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:25 PM   #37
Sadlsor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 690
Don't be so quick to flash 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHOTOBMW View Post
My adopted practice ANYTIME someone could remotely cross my path is to give two quick shots of the high beam day or night; its brief and gets them looking my way.
There will always be a disagreement on this point. There are those who believe you're giving the "go ahead and turn" message, when that may not be your intent.

I am in that camp...I'm not going to flash my lights. I WILL, however, waggle the bars / swerve slowly in my lane. This movement has a better chance at getting their attention, without the possible mixed message. Driver's thinking, "Is he telling me to turn, or not to turn?"

Oncoming lights, flashing or not, don't help the driver in estimating your / my closing speed. The bike profile is so much smaller than an oncoming car or truck. It's really difficult to judge; therefore, the cager is going to think he can clear the turn before we get there.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:52 AM   #38
PHOTOBMW
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadlsor View Post
There will always be a disagreement on this point. There are those who believe you're giving the "go ahead and turn" message, when that may not be your intent.
Yes you bring up a good point... (ponder ponder....) This is why I love reading this forum... Sharing the road with cars from the bike perspective seems to curiously parallel the many issues we are having in America today with the concept of "entitlement." Everybody is special.... (Where is that force field option on this bike...?)
I was out last evening and a waitress ask why the "yellow vest" and I told her it was so cars could more easily zero in on me. Seems like a tour in a war zone sometimes.
PHOTOBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:17 AM   #39
Wy'east
Dust in the wind...

Oddometer: 128
I'm recovering from a broken ankle, sports injury. Had an Aircast on for 6 weeks I could walk around in and now I'm down to a splint-brace. No pins or plates, got lucky there.

Search around on the web a bit just to make sure your doctors didn't miss anything and learn about your physical therapy options. It's so weird having this small weak leg in the meantime.

Good luck and a speedy recovery!
Old 11-15-2012, 10:00 AM   #40
godwinmt OP
They call me Crash

Just thought id give a bit of an update on how everything is going so far... Im back home now recovering from the bone graft which was last Thursday. I'll go back in to have my splint taken off shortly after thanksgiving, and then it'll be about 4 weeks before we see if the bone graft took. I should be able to walk then shortly after that.

I did get a new bike to keep my spirits up shortly after they took the dr away... picked up a nicely setup wr250x converted to an r, and it's killing me not being able to ride it...on the other hand though my dad is enjoying it around the house as much as his beamer...
Old 11-15-2012, 12:00 PM   #41
jdfog2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Just noticed and read your thread.

Glad to hear you are healing up!
Sorry for the pain and TREMENDOUS amount of inconvenience this is causing you.

I currently have a Weestrom but am hoping to get something a bit smaller so I can more easily do some of that HNF and Southern Indiana riding with folks on this site.

Hope I'll see you there or maybe I'll ride over and visit sometime :)

Jay
jdfog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:13 PM   #42
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,482
You have the right to file a civil suit against her personally for this accident. Only a lawyer can advise you there. Before you sign anything you should spend some of your money for an initial consult.

You do not want to give up that right in case it turns out you are perm disabled, even if it is just pain.

Also tell you lawyer about this and any other thread, they do not like surprises.

Advice to all, do not create one of these threads about your mishap the settlement is over.

Rod

ragtoplvr screwed with this post 11-15-2012 at 04:19 PM
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:16 PM   #43
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,916
Wow, just came across you thread.
Glad to see everything's moving in the right direction.
Someone quote me so he can see my response
Quote:
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is offline   Reply With Quote