Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2012, 05:51 PM   #69121
kamlander
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
pickup coil

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
Speaking of ordering parts, has anyone here ever done business with RegulatorRectifier.com? All the forum posts I've read said that they were the place to go for things like, say, a pulser coil. I placed an order with them and Procycle on the same day last week on Friday or Saturday. I get order confirmation emails from both almost immediately. Come Monday morning, I have a "your product has shipped" notice from Procycle. As of yesterday, the Procycle order has arrived and I still haven't heard anything back from the regulatorrectifier.com folks. I'm normally not too fussy about ordering parts, but I do hate seeing my bike up on stands in the garage instead of out riding. So has anyone else had any experience with them in the past?
same bike, exact same problem, order with RegulatorRectifier still pending after more than a week,hate having bike not running. what the hell is up with this run of bad pickup coils?
kamlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:23 PM   #69122
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Oddometer: 590
I didn't read any bad mouthing in his statement/post. It was just a explanation of parts ordering problems for other brands.

TravelGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetable View Post
I still see the statement as misleading. Imagine if Suzuki were to put the year on their parts, well other than making crossrefferencing much easier, we'd be able to see that Suzuki has been using the same banjo bolt in the brakes since before time started. Seriously, it's a straight fitting, and it has been updated at least once since Harley went to the current part numbering system (the A at the end.)

I do appreciate all the work that Procycle has done for DR parts, but of all the reasons to bad mouth HD, that's reaching.
DR650 '07
TRAVELGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:02 PM   #69123
805gregg
Just Stroming along

Oddometer: 1,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by warp9man View Post
2nd item is Levers
I could find any decent levers out there for the DR, you get stock or Bikemaster levers, nothing that i was happy with so. you guessed it were making levers to and im supper happy with them and these puppies are already be machined in mass quantities. only diffrence from the picture is it will be titanium color pivot and black blade for a 2 tone look. we tried a lever with the sport bike little lever adjustments on them but after a few rides in the dirt the little adjusters siezed up so we went a more old scholl and simpler adjustment of bolt with backer nut. the levers fold and are adjustable for reach.

yes we are also doing a real chain guide that can take a beating.

here are the prototypes that are working out great, they use the stock perches and work with the OEM brake switches. im also going to include new pivot bolts for guys that are not running the OEM hand guards.

So you are planning on taking the simple cheap DR you fell in love with and making it complicated and expensive, good luck with that.
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:26 PM   #69124
mxbundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by 805gregg View Post
So you are planning on taking the simple cheap DR you fell in love with and making it complicated and expensive, good luck with that.
Really? I think having high quality parts to replace cheesy stock ones with is a bonus in my book.
You definitely wont be interested in any of the stuff I am working on for the DR then.

Bundy

Check out http://seatconcepts.com/ , your ass will appreciate it!
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621311
mxbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:33 PM   #69125
thetable
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by 805gregg View Post
I'm in for one of the clutch levers when they become available. Tired of busting my knuckles on the stock lever, and I'd like it a bit further from the bar as well.
thetable is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:53 PM   #69126
LucasLeader
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Hey DR guys. I usually hang out over on the Honda XR650l side of the fence but my buddy has asked me to look at his buds DR650. Looks like a late 90's model. Yellow fork boots and blue/purple frame.

The engine will start and idle but will not take throttle. Once the throttle is twisted some it will rev a bit and then fall on it's face, not accepting throttle. It's my guess that the diaphram in the carb is bad or leaking and not allowing vacuum to lift the slide.

What say you DR guru's?
Don't forget to check the little filter in the carb inlet. Common problem and an easy fix.
LucasLeader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:01 PM   #69127
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,528
warp9, put me down for that adjustable brake lever when available.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:11 PM   #69128
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelers View Post
I know that a lot of people value a lot of horsepower, but that isn't one of my priorities.

I want simplicity/field repair-ability, good fuel economy, runs fine with low octane fuel, sturdy for luggage capacity, cheap to maintain, easy to fix, light weight, tough, good price, fairly cheap upgrades (fuel tank), and decent comfort.

After those, 2-up capacity and power and alternator capacity start coming into play. But, I'd prefer not to sacrifice much fuel economy or weight gain if possible.
Amen!...owned a couple of VW Bugs years ago and they had many of the qualities you listed...the DR reminds me of them in a way (in the best possible way ;-)....not many vehicles in current production that have those traits any more (available in the US at least)
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:17 AM   #69129
mrbing73
bOOb

Oddometer: 9
Aqualine + Brittania Comp + HDB?

I'm currently running an Aqualine Safari tank and a Brittania Composites fairing without handguards on my 07 DR. My upper bar clamp currently contacts the tank 1/8" before I hit the stock steering limiter. I'd like to add some HDB handguards but I'm concerned their upper clamp might cause further clearance issues.

I know I can't use their "ADV super++extra/etc+ with dashboard" upper, but hoping someone out there might provide input on one of the lower profile units.

Any suggestions on how to easily transfer my current interference issues from tank to limiter would also be greatly appreciated.

And yes thats my Vapor hanging off to the side, cheesy stock clamp broke almost instantly. Looking for a GPS before I start drilling the Brit Comp ABS bit.
mrbing73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:00 AM   #69130
Feelers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by victor441 View Post
Amen!...owned a couple of VW Bugs years ago and they had many of the qualities you listed...the DR reminds me of them in a way (in the best possible way ;-)....not many vehicles in current production that have those traits any more (available in the US at least)
Do you think that a 790cc kit and something like the Wee-Strom seat would be sufficient for 2-up adventure touring?
Feelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:08 AM   #69131
Feelers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Question

The total length of the DR is 94 inches. The F800GS is 91 inches. The 800XC is 87 inches. The Wee-Strom is 90 inches.

Why does the DR's seat seem so short?
Feelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:06 AM   #69132
phreakingeek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
good post

I was in the same mindset whenever the dealer didnt have my part on hand...thanks for the info about how it works from the other side of the counter. I'll cut them a little slack next time they have to order something for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
If the Japanese used the same parts since 1938 like Harley does then of course it would be easy to keep them in stock.

This is not an exaggeration. I just looked up (at random) the oil pump for a 2012 Sportster. one item is a fitting - part number 63533-41A. That '-41A' at the end of the number means it was first used in 1941. Same part still being used in current production bikes 70 years later. That kind of part longevity makes it easy to keep parts in stock and keep part prices low. It also means you give up a lot of improvement and innovation.

Japanese brand motorcycle dealer parts departments have an nearly impossible task. We want them to always have the parts we need on hand but the economics of the business don't allow that. When I started in the motorcycle parts business back in the early 80s our rule of thumb to justify keeping an item in stock was it has to make at least 4 turns per year. That means if you only sold 2 or 3 VF750S Saber speedometer cables per year stocking them would be a money loosing decision. In these modern days of shrinking margins the things you keep on hand better move faster than that if you want to stay in business.

A current mid sized dealer might sell a million dollars in parts per year. That sales volume might justify around $200,000 of inventory. A good parts manager has to spend that money wisely. There are probably well over a thousand Suzuki cable part numbers. Will the DR650 clutch cable make the cut? Doubtful, especially when the dealer can have a factory cable delivered in a few days or an aftermarket equivalent in a day or two.

When I went to work for a Honda dealer in 1982 Honda had 52 motorcycle & ATV models for sale that year alone. Of course they offer new models or changes to old models every year. The more we get of new models and improvements to old models the more more new part numbers are generated and the more difficult it becomes for the dealer to have any meaningful stock of replacement parts.

We can complain all we want about dealers not having parts in stock but that is not going to change any time soon. What has changed and is continuing to improve is the time it takes to get those parts from the parts warehouse to the buyer.
phreakingeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:45 AM   #69133
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Oddometer: 590
warp9man thanks for going to the trouble and expense of putting these parts into production!

TravelGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by warp9man View Post
2nd item is Levers
I could find any decent levers out there for the DR, you get stock or Bikemaster levers, nothing that i was happy with so. you guessed it were making levers to and im supper happy with them and these puppies are already be machined in mass quantities. only diffrence from the picture is it will be titanium color pivot and black blade for a 2 tone look. we tried a lever with the sport bike little lever adjustments on them but after a few rides in the dirt the little adjusters siezed up so we went a more old scholl and simpler adjustment of bolt with backer nut. the levers fold and are adjustable for reach.

yes we are also doing a real chain guide that can take a beating.

here are the prototypes that are working out great, they use the stock perches and work with the OEM brake switches. im also going to include new pivot bolts for guys that are not running the OEM hand guards.

DR650 '07
TRAVELGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:06 AM   #69134
WilderRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
Speaking of ordering parts, has anyone here ever done business with RegulatorRectifier.com? All the forum posts I've read said that they were the place to go for things like, say, a pulser coil. I placed an order with them and Procycle on the same day last week on Friday or Saturday. I get order confirmation emails from both almost immediately. Come Monday morning, I have a "your product has shipped" notice from Procycle. As of yesterday, the Procycle order has arrived and I still haven't heard anything back from the regulatorrectifier.com folks. I'm normally not too fussy about ordering parts, but I do hate seeing my bike up on stands in the garage instead of out riding. So has anyone else had any experience with them in the past?
I had good luck with them when I ordered my pulser coil. They were also very responsive by telephone (I was calling from a campsite in Moab) and worked well with me. If you think it has been long enough, give them a call.

But, BTW, comparing the shipping speeds from Procycle seems unfair. Those guys at Procycle are FAST!!!!
Old 09-14-2012, 07:26 AM   #69135
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelers View Post
Do you think that a 790cc kit and something like the Wee-Strom seat would be sufficient for 2-up adventure touring?
The strom seat yes, and I'd also love to know about the 790 kit...
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote