Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 265 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 09-14-2012, 07:09 AM   #25216
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
Wow, this thread is more cut throat than some of the motorcycle threads.
Didn't used to be that way.

ducnut screwed with this post 09-14-2012 at 10:16 AM
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:44 AM   #25217
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Chest mount. Safer for the camera.

More stable too.

M
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
+1
Interesting. I saw their chest mount set up and kinda thought it was more bulky that I wanted for he mountain biking. I am kinda liking how light and able to move I feel riding the mountain bike, as compared to the dirt bikes, where I have on armored shorts, armored pressure suit, neck brace, boots, etc.

Thanks for the input.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:15 AM   #25218
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Interesting. I saw their chest mount set up and kinda thought it was more bulky that I wanted for he mountain biking. I am kinda liking how light and able to move I feel riding the mountain bike, as compared to the dirt bikes, where I have on armored shorts, armored pressure suit, neck brace, boots, etc.

Thanks for the input.
I have a friend who's experimenting with a GoPro attached to his Camelbak's shoulder harness. I'll keep an eye on how that works out for him. He's been working on establishing an acceptable angle.

Helmet mount allows any branch to knock it off angle or completely off the helmet. Bike mounts can sometimes be too jittery. IDK. Guess it's really comes down to compromises and how important filming your rides is to you.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:28 AM   #25219
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I have a friend who's experimenting with a GoPro attached to his Camelbak's shoulder harness. I'll keep an eye on how that works out for him. He's been working on establishing an acceptable angle.

Helmet mount allows any branch to knock it off angle or completely off the helmet. Bike mounts can sometimes be too jittery. IDK. Guess it's really comes down to compromises and how important filming your rides is to you.

I think, ideally, the best mounting position would be helmet-mounted hanging at eye level... that way the POV is exactly what the rider sees... or doesn't. At least it's out of harm's way from malicious branches and stable on the helmet.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:48 AM   #25220
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,828
The videos I have enjoyed the most were filmed with multiple cameras. Watching someone ride a trail for 30 minutes, I'm not going to do it. Have different camera angles, and edit it down to the better shots that do a good job of conveying the overall feel of the trail,

Now, that said, I can totally see the advantages of filming the ride so you can see the areas you need to work on. Better lines, more/less speed for various conditions, etc. And by allowing others to view and comment you can get ideas and suggestions you wouldn't think of on your own.

If you are filming for training purposes, then whatever mounting point gives a good view of what you, the bike, and the trail are doing should work fine.

The purpose is different for each type of filming, so you have to take that into consideration.
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:30 PM   #25221
McDuff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Thanks for the reply McDuff. That vid looked pretty good. I think the bar mount will work well for me.
Good call getting back into mtb. Do you live in the sandy or rocky part of Jerz? Have any good trails nearby?

McDuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:04 PM   #25222
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
I think, ideally, the best mounting position would be helmet-mounted hanging at eye level... that way the POV is exactly what the rider sees... or doesn't. At least it's out of harm's way from malicious branches and stable on the helmet.
On my motorcycle rides,, I have mounted it to both the side of helmet, and to the top of my visor. I prefer the latter, as having it on one side my it slightly heavy to that side. On top of my visor, I have it in such a position that it will still clear any branches I would duck under....so long as I see them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
The videos I have enjoyed the most were filmed with multiple cameras. Watching someone ride a trail for 30 minutes, I'm not going to do it. Have different camera angles, and edit it down to the better shots that do a good job of conveying the overall feel of the trail,

Now, that said, I can totally see the advantages of filming the ride so you can see the areas you need to work on. Better lines, more/less speed for various conditions, etc. And by allowing others to view and comment you can get ideas and suggestions you wouldn't think of on your own.

If you are filming for training purposes, then whatever mounting point gives a good view of what you, the bike, and the trail are doing should work fine.

The purpose is different for each type of filming, so you have to take that into consideration.
The filming would be just to get the "good parts" on film, just for the fun of it and to have it. I also get very bored when people put up lengthy vids...so mine are typically under five minutes..or so:

http://youtu.be/QntXlgFYmPE

That is from a dual sport ride here in NJ, that is probably the most fun one in southern NJ.

For MTB'ing, again, it would just be for fun, not any kind of training.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDuff View Post
Good call getting back into mtb. Do you live in the sandy or rocky part of Jerz? Have any good trails nearby?

I live right in top end of the pine barrens...pretty sandy...but fun for the motorcycle riding. I have checked out two parks so far, and had to drive about 1/2 hr to each..to get real dirt and trails. Bicycle is not gonna cut in the sand right near my house.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:03 PM   #25223
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,022
aanyone remember these?

that is a Moxey, got sued out of existance awhile back by Cane Creek who has patents on their Thudbusters.... I was looking for a suspension seatpost for my wife's comfort stepthrough hybrid, and didn't want to get one of those cheap chinese springy-posts, but Thudbusters were just too effin' expensive ($150 seatpost on a $250 bike? eeek!). won this puppy on fleabay, owner says its new, he was given it but never used it because it didn't fit his frame. afaik, they are a 25mm or so post that you shim to fit, wife's bike is a 27.2mm.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:08 AM   #25224
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,313
Alright, I received the Look Keo 2 Max pedals, and they're fine. They really haven't changed much, have they? But while reading through the directions there is a weight limit of 220 lbs. I'm heavier than that (I was 224 when I was 18 FFS).

Am I about to stomp my foot straight down to the tarmac and make love to my frame or shouldn't I be concerned? I didn't think I bought anything exotic, I thought these were chromoly spindles?

What's the weight limit on the titanium spindled pedals, 150 lbs?

Anyone remember the titanium spindled Campy Super Record quills which did break from time to time?
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:19 AM   #25225
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,022
if you're heavy and strong enough, you can break damn near ANything.

I think I saw something buried in some Specialized literature, that most of their bikes are designed for max rider weight of 200 or 220 lbs. I'm sure other makers are the same.

if you're not dirt jumping on those pedals, and you're a spinner rather than a masher, you'll be fine.

I snapped a Phil Wood bottom bracket on my road bike once when I was ~ 165 lbs... the non-drive-side crank came completely off mid stroke on a hill climb. ooops!
Old 09-15-2012, 06:17 AM   #25226
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
Alright, I received the Look Keo 2 Max pedals, and they're fine. They really haven't changed much, have they? But while reading through the directions there is a weight limit of 220 lbs. I'm heavier than that (I was 224 when I was 18 FFS).

Am I about to stomp my foot straight down to the tarmac and make love to my frame or shouldn't I be concerned? I didn't think I bought anything exotic, I thought these were chromoly spindles?
I doubt you'll break them, unless you look like this guy.

Old 09-15-2012, 01:49 PM   #25227
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,831
3:27, 63mi, 4400' of climbing aka the Rappahannock Rough Ride

Buddy of mine and I started late and made our way thru the stragglers to the first rest stop. Everyone was at the first rest stop. They were all standing around shooting the breeze, I knew that if I stopped, I'd get all kinds of stiff so B and I had a cookie and kept going.

Ran into a buddy of ours, G, who we conned into working with us. Now we were 3 bucking a head and/or side wind most of the ride. That extra person really made a difference fighting the headwind lemme tell ya!

Up down up down up down (repeat for the next 40 miles) I swear if the roads we were on weren't pointed up, we were going downhill till the next uphill. Now add a nifty headwind and you have recipe for very tired legs by the end of the ride.

We picked up a 4th along the way into Flint Hill. Adding a 4th guy to work in was even mo bettah than having just the 3 of us.

By the time we got to the last rest stop, I needed a bottle refilled, and all of us needed a bite to eat. Quick stop and off we went. Evidently we were the 2nd group on the road on the big loop. Never did see the people in front of us, so I suspect they got down the road from the gun.

Coupla takeaways:
  • Headwinds suck but having someone to share em with make em bearable
  • Hills suck (see above)
  • Having people with you makes lots of things better
  • If you're in a group, don't attack the hills. My buddy is notorious for getting to the bottom of a hill and hammering up it regardless of what the group's doing now or has been doing the whole ride. I'll admit I'm probably the weakest link on a hill. ...but I can tow em around at a high rate of speed on the flat, so it makes sense to not kill guys like me off.
  • If you're going to accelerate, do it smoothly so the guys behind you don't have to dig real deep to get on your wheel. (my buddy again)
  • Beers after a ride taste VERY good
I'm beat. My thighs are tired all the way to the top of my inner quad muscle. 'Course, today IS the 4th big-ish day in a row.

Hope your weekend rides went well too

M
Old 09-15-2012, 04:32 PM   #25228
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,857
Go! Gummee! Cool report. Reminds me of so many rides into Eastern Colorado. Rolers we called them since our reference was bigassed mountains.

I finally got to Sports Authority today to pick up a new pair of shoes. Yes, shoes I'm here in Levelland sans bikes, so running is the deal. But, not or much longer.
I may have a line on some single track mtb action, paid for too!

More on that later.

What is it about running shoes that they are required to get uglier as the years go by? These new ones are hideous even by KLR standards.

But, they came free by way of me having ridden and run about 600 miles in the companies moveyour fastasses deal we do every year. And every year the fat asses get fatter, though I'm dong my part. "... speed eating sunflower seeds..." or yard waste as I call it. . so for averaging more than my 15,000 steps per day I got a $100 to Sports Authority, even though I picked Dick's, (just the name is close).
Anyay tomorrow after I watch the MotoGP race from Misano live via streaming MotoGP.com, I'll see if I can still run,
Meanwhile since I worked for ten hours today this is my PUI Friday.
Facebook
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:39 PM   #25229
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Pedals:

I had the "click in" type pedals years ago. I assume they still make them??

Is there a pair of those I could get for around $50-ish?

Do they still make the ones that are "regular" on one side,and click in style on the other side??

Any recommendations???

Links appreciated too.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:45 PM   #25230
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,313
I have a pair of cheap SPD-type pedals and cleats that you can have if you send me your street addy. They are not double sided and I haven't seen a pair of those in years, but I bet they still make them.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: