User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 518 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 05:58 PM   #25096
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 7,363
Wow, this thread is more cut throat than some of the motorcycle threads.

Anyway, on a lighter note, a question about using a GoPro camera and taking vids on the mountain bike. ( Just bought a bike and started riding again after 20 years)

Do guys tend to like to take video from helmet/rider mounts, or mount to the bicycle itself???

I know when I use the GoPro on my motorcycle(offroad) rides, I mount to my helmet. I know when some guys moiunt to the bikes(motorcycle), the vid has too much movement to it, and is sometimes hard to watch.

I am assuming that if mounted to handlebars, for trail riding, unless its really bumpy, it should be OK????

This is the mount I am thinking about getting:

http://gopro.com/camera-mounts/handl...eatpost-mount/

Thoughts?
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:13 PM   #25097
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,465
Just picked up a Columbus Airplane frame with Dura-Ace 7900 hanging on it. Budget wheelset, handlebars, stem and seatpost.

Look Keos coming tomorrow. Can't remember which model, 200 USD or so. I haven't ridden in ages and I'm sure I'll suffer tremendously.

I never really enjoyed the ride of aluminum but I can always change the frame. Used to have a Gios Compact back in the day, maybe I'll check into their newer framesets.

Does Gianni Motta still make frames? I had a tri coloured one before the Gios. I liked it a lot but the top tube was too short. I wouldn't mind a nice steel frame again. Something in about a 58 cm.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:41 PM   #25098
McDuff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post

Anyway, on a lighter note, a question about using a GoPro camera and taking vids on the mountain bike. ( Just bought a bike and started riding again after 20 years)

Do guys tend to like to take video from helmet/rider mounts, or mount to the bicycle itself???

I know when I use the GoPro on my motorcycle(offroad) rides, I mount to my helmet. I know when some guys moiunt to the bikes(motorcycle), the vid has too much movement to it, and is sometimes hard to watch.

I am assuming that if mounted to handlebars, for trail riding, unless its really bumpy, it should be OK????

This is the mount I am thinking about getting:

http://gopro.com/camera-mounts/handl...eatpost-mount/

Thoughts?
Doug,
From what I've seen, most guys use either a helmet of chest mount for their gopro's. But like you suggested it works okay when bike mounted if the trail isn't too bumpy. Here's a vid I made at one of the local trails with a gopro 960 mounted to my bars(2:37) The sound sucks, you might want to turn it down first. http://youtu.be/Psk0YNr6v2o

McDuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:06 PM   #25099
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 888
Next time I ride the Westside, I'm taking the damn pruning shears. I got skewered in the shoulder by an errant manzanita branch and took more shots to the head than Larry Fine. It's always the short little quickie rides that getcha.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:57 AM   #25100
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDuff View Post
Doug,
From what I've seen, most guys use either a helmet of chest mount for their gopro's. But like you suggested it works okay when bike mounted if the trail isn't too bumpy. Here's a vid I made at one of the local trails with a gopro 960 mounted to my bars(2:37) The sound sucks, you might want to turn it down first. http://youtu.be/Psk0YNr6v2o
Thanks for the reply McDuff. That vid looked pretty good. I think the bar mount will work well for me.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:50 AM   #25101
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
Just picked up a Columbus Airplane frame with Dura-Ace 7900 hanging on it. Budget wheelset, handlebars, stem and seatpost.

I never really enjoyed the ride of aluminum but I can always change the frame. Used to have a Gios Compact back in the day, maybe I'll check into their newer framesets.
There's AL and there's AL. The Airplane tubing is going to ride pretty nicely overall. I've had a few bikes made out of it (or copies).

Funny thing, AL. In EUR they say 'AL?! Ick rides like a noodle.' Here in the states we say 'AL?! Ick rides like a brick.' Both are right if you think about what the first experience with AL was. Eur: Vitus. States: C-dale. Since those first bikes, we've come a LONG ways. That Airplane tubeset is just about the culmination of lots of years of AL work.

Quote:
Does Gianni Motta still make frames? I had a tri coloured one before the Gios. I liked it a lot but the top tube was too short. I wouldn't mind a nice steel frame again. Something in about a 58 cm.
about Gianni Motta, but if you want steel, check out the Paceline Forums or Velocipede Salon. VS is THE place to talk to guys like Richard Sachs, et al. Keep an eye on craigslist and/or ebay. There's been some stuff selling for fairly cheaply here in the DC area 'cause no one wants steel any more.

M
Old 09-14-2012, 05:50 AM   #25102
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,833
Quote:
Doug,
Chest mount. Safer for the camera.

More stable too.

M
Old 09-14-2012, 07:08 AM   #25103
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by gummee! View Post
chest mount. Safer for the camera. More stable too.
+1
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:09 AM   #25104
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Didn't used to be that way.

ducnut screwed with this post 09-14-2012 at 10:16 AM
Old 09-14-2012, 09:44 AM   #25105
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Chest mount. Safer for the camera.

More stable too.

M
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
+1
Interesting. I saw their chest mount set up and kinda thought it was more bulky that I wanted for he mountain biking. I am kinda liking how light and able to move I feel riding the mountain bike, as compared to the dirt bikes, where I have on armored shorts, armored pressure suit, neck brace, boots, etc.

Thanks for the input.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:15 AM   #25106
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Interesting. I saw their chest mount set up and kinda thought it was more bulky that I wanted for he mountain biking. I am kinda liking how light and able to move I feel riding the mountain bike, as compared to the dirt bikes, where I have on armored shorts, armored pressure suit, neck brace, boots, etc.

Thanks for the input.
I have a friend who's experimenting with a GoPro attached to his Camelbak's shoulder harness. I'll keep an eye on how that works out for him. He's been working on establishing an acceptable angle.

Helmet mount allows any branch to knock it off angle or completely off the helmet. Bike mounts can sometimes be too jittery. IDK. Guess it's really comes down to compromises and how important filming your rides is to you.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:28 AM   #25107
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Oddometer: 1,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I have a friend who's experimenting with a GoPro attached to his Camelbak's shoulder harness. I'll keep an eye on how that works out for him. He's been working on establishing an acceptable angle.

Helmet mount allows any branch to knock it off angle or completely off the helmet. Bike mounts can sometimes be too jittery. IDK. Guess it's really comes down to compromises and how important filming your rides is to you.

I think, ideally, the best mounting position would be helmet-mounted hanging at eye level... that way the POV is exactly what the rider sees... or doesn't. At least it's out of harm's way from malicious branches and stable on the helmet.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:48 AM   #25108
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,903
The videos I have enjoyed the most were filmed with multiple cameras. Watching someone ride a trail for 30 minutes, I'm not going to do it. Have different camera angles, and edit it down to the better shots that do a good job of conveying the overall feel of the trail,

Now, that said, I can totally see the advantages of filming the ride so you can see the areas you need to work on. Better lines, more/less speed for various conditions, etc. And by allowing others to view and comment you can get ideas and suggestions you wouldn't think of on your own.

If you are filming for training purposes, then whatever mounting point gives a good view of what you, the bike, and the trail are doing should work fine.

The purpose is different for each type of filming, so you have to take that into consideration.
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:30 PM   #25109
McDuff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Thanks for the reply McDuff. That vid looked pretty good. I think the bar mount will work well for me.
Good call getting back into mtb. Do you live in the sandy or rocky part of Jerz? Have any good trails nearby?

McDuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:04 PM   #25110
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
I think, ideally, the best mounting position would be helmet-mounted hanging at eye level... that way the POV is exactly what the rider sees... or doesn't. At least it's out of harm's way from malicious branches and stable on the helmet.
On my motorcycle rides,, I have mounted it to both the side of helmet, and to the top of my visor. I prefer the latter, as having it on one side my it slightly heavy to that side. On top of my visor, I have it in such a position that it will still clear any branches I would duck under....so long as I see them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
The videos I have enjoyed the most were filmed with multiple cameras. Watching someone ride a trail for 30 minutes, I'm not going to do it. Have different camera angles, and edit it down to the better shots that do a good job of conveying the overall feel of the trail,

Now, that said, I can totally see the advantages of filming the ride so you can see the areas you need to work on. Better lines, more/less speed for various conditions, etc. And by allowing others to view and comment you can get ideas and suggestions you wouldn't think of on your own.

If you are filming for training purposes, then whatever mounting point gives a good view of what you, the bike, and the trail are doing should work fine.

The purpose is different for each type of filming, so you have to take that into consideration.
The filming would be just to get the "good parts" on film, just for the fun of it and to have it. I also get very bored when people put up lengthy vids...so mine are typically under five minutes..or so:

http://youtu.be/QntXlgFYmPE

That is from a dual sport ride here in NJ, that is probably the most fun one in southern NJ.

For MTB'ing, again, it would just be for fun, not any kind of training.

Quote:
Good call getting back into mtb. Do you live in the sandy or rocky part of Jerz? Have any good trails nearby?

I live right in top end of the pine barrens...pretty sandy...but fun for the motorcycle riding. I have checked out two parks so far, and had to drive about 1/2 hr to each..to get real dirt and trails. Bicycle is not gonna cut in the sand right near my house.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: