Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2012, 03:53 AM   #5551
tattewell
Mad Poser

Oddometer: 757
I could probably live with the fugly for the function. thanks for the pics.
tattewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:22 AM   #5552
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by tattewell View Post
I could probably live with the fugly for the function. thanks for the pics.
MRA makes a similar line of screens. Made in Germany. I had one mounted and it was very solid. Did a great job but as we all know the 690 has headshake issues and the bar mounted screen made it worse.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:44 AM   #5553
tattewell
Mad Poser

Oddometer: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barman View Post
MRA makes a similar line of screens. Made in Germany. I had one mounted and it was very solid. Did a great job but as we all know the 690 has headshake issues and the bar mounted screen made it worse.
Clearly we don't all know it, I have never experienced headshake on my 690... interesting though.
tattewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:54 AM   #5554
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Clearly we don't all know it, I have never experienced headshake on my 690... interesting though.
Yea, I'm with you. I've had it wag in the deep sand at 100mph but thats normal to me, part of the experience.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:10 AM   #5555
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Clearly eh?
Let me help you out with some light reading.
http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...w=1093&bih=474
Old 09-14-2012, 10:20 AM   #5556
ktmmitch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
EVO 2 Tanks Update

We took the first pre-production tank mouldings today from our CNC machined aluminium rotational moulds today.
Once cooled,we fitted them to the 2012 690 Enduro test bike,and they were perfect!!
Now we can finalise fairing and screen tooling,ready for production.

www.rally-raidproducts.co.uk

Photobucket

ktmmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:27 AM   #5557
nippybit
Nippybit

Oddometer: 92
Great Looking Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtntrails View Post

Looks like you are set up very well for some adventure touring. I like your Touratech system cases but then again I like nearly all Touratech stuff. Scotts is also a nice touch. I have had them over the years and they have saved my bacon numerous times when I was not paying attention and hit large rocks, the deflection of which would have put me on my head but for the stabilizer.
Watch this space as I am about to say something really prophetic!
nippybit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:41 AM   #5558
nippybit
Nippybit

Headshake--Something Else To Consider

Quote:
I say we remove it from the list of known issues, assuming that some here have put it on that list. I have had no headshake, however I balance my tires which seemingly would only rule out thumping/vibration at various speeds but not headshake.

The only motorcycle I ever had headshake on was a 1964 Triumph Bonneville and it only occurred once, when riding down a long hill on the slab trying to see how fast it would go downhill!. On the flat it was good for about 114 mph. No headshake occurred under power it was only when I suddenly chopped the throttle back when approaching cars at about 120 mph. It was a real tankslapper and momentarily put me in touch with my mortality.

Absent setting up the suspension incorrectly as to sag, compression, rebound and/or loading up the bike like an RV I don't see it as an inherent flaw with the 690.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:52 AM   #5559
nippybit
Nippybit

Moving Horse Mounting Method

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonykof View Post
I use the "moving horse method" to get on when ever I can as I'm totally "ballerina toes" otherwise...
"Moving horse method" = kickstand up , bike in gear, left foot on the peg, slip clutch to get moving stand up on left peg & throw right foot over..."moving horse"

Doing the "Chuck Norris" I'm always afraid i'm going to catch & rip the seat with my boot...
I always wanted to try this as I am a big fan of old western movies and I have seen other riders do it. Note to self: practice this (alone) next ride, on nice soft grass, if I can find it here in the desert.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:02 AM   #5560
modeselector
Common as muck

Oddometer: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtntrails View Post

I like the set-up~thanks for sharing
modeselector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:12 AM   #5561
mtntrails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
Headshake

My 2010 690 Enduro has a Scotts Damper, but my 2008 690 SMC does not - and the SMC has much steeper rake / trail geometry. I have never experienced even a hint of headshake on either bike.

I just mounted a new set of tires (Metzeler Karoo T Front and Mefo Explorer Rear) on the 690 Enduro. The KTM Shop in Las Vegas who installed them is just off of the freeway. This particular freeway is grooved - man, the bike felt like it was waggin' / wanderin' around pretty good. It didn't seem to do that so much with the worn set of tires (same tires).
mtntrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:12 AM   #5562
Bill the Bong
Supern00ba

Oddometer: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmmitch View Post
We took the first pre-production tank mouldings today from our CNC machined aluminium rotational moulds today.
Once cooled,we fitted them to the 2012 690 Enduro test bike,and they were perfect!!
Will these tanks be exclusive for the 2012s or will it work for the previous generations as well?
Old 09-14-2012, 11:13 AM   #5563
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Yea, I'm with you. I've had it wag in the deep sand at 100mph but thats normal to me, part of the experience.
Hey Crankshaft, you just need to wik it up a bit when that happens. What's the worst that can happen?

I never had head shake on my 690, but on other bikes it was always badly worn or improperly inflated/balanced front knobby. Sand is always a problem because the trail measurement always goes to zip unless you keep the front light.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:17 AM   #5564
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,081
Quote:
I think Barman is referring to the steering wobble that happens at high speeds. I think it is a shape-of-the-tire thing, combined with freeway turbulence grabbing the rider's shoulders.

My old 950 had that wobble above 95mph when I used TKC80 front tires. They have a round cross section, as opposed to the more triangular front tires like the Scorpions or Mefo's.

My 12 690R can also have that wobble above 75mph so I added a damper that works well enough up to about 90mph. I still have my MT21 front, but I am pretty sure if I replaced it with a more triangula tire, it would be more stable at higher speeds. I like the tire, though, and I don't cruise any faster than about 80mph anyway.

In my experience a 'headshake' is a suspension or geometry issue generated by bottoming the forks through ruts, or an improper set-up on a road race bike. It usually surfaces under power on corner exit or an esses where the racer flipflops the bike. They can degenerate to a full blown tank slapper in a flash. I'm not sure the 690 wobble will turn into a tankslapper, but I will admit that it feels like I am loosing directional control if I don't stop it somehow.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:18 AM   #5565
modeselector
Common as muck

Oddometer: 621
Nice progress guys!

Maybe silly question ~ will this type of material (speaking of the tanks) allow graphics to be applied without bubbling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmmitch View Post

www.rally-raidproducts.co.uk

Photobucket

modeselector is offline   Reply With Quote