User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2012, 02:17 AM   #69121
mrbing73
bOOb

Oddometer: 9
Aqualine + Brittania Comp + HDB?

I'm currently running an Aqualine Safari tank and a Brittania Composites fairing without handguards on my 07 DR. My upper bar clamp currently contacts the tank 1/8" before I hit the stock steering limiter. I'd like to add some HDB handguards but I'm concerned their upper clamp might cause further clearance issues.

I know I can't use their "ADV super++extra/etc+ with dashboard" upper, but hoping someone out there might provide input on one of the lower profile units.

Any suggestions on how to easily transfer my current interference issues from tank to limiter would also be greatly appreciated.

And yes thats my Vapor hanging off to the side, cheesy stock clamp broke almost instantly. Looking for a GPS before I start drilling the Brit Comp ABS bit.
mrbing73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:00 AM   #69122
Feelers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by victor441 View Post
Amen!...owned a couple of VW Bugs years ago and they had many of the qualities you listed...the DR reminds me of them in a way (in the best possible way ;-)....not many vehicles in current production that have those traits any more (available in the US at least)
Do you think that a 790cc kit and something like the Wee-Strom seat would be sufficient for 2-up adventure touring?
Feelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:08 AM   #69123
Feelers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Question

The total length of the DR is 94 inches. The F800GS is 91 inches. The 800XC is 87 inches. The Wee-Strom is 90 inches.

Why does the DR's seat seem so short?
Feelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:06 AM   #69124
phreakingeek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
good post

I was in the same mindset whenever the dealer didnt have my part on hand...thanks for the info about how it works from the other side of the counter. I'll cut them a little slack next time they have to order something for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
If the Japanese used the same parts since 1938 like Harley does then of course it would be easy to keep them in stock.

This is not an exaggeration. I just looked up (at random) the oil pump for a 2012 Sportster. one item is a fitting - part number 63533-41A. That '-41A' at the end of the number means it was first used in 1941. Same part still being used in current production bikes 70 years later. That kind of part longevity makes it easy to keep parts in stock and keep part prices low. It also means you give up a lot of improvement and innovation.

Japanese brand motorcycle dealer parts departments have an nearly impossible task. We want them to always have the parts we need on hand but the economics of the business don't allow that. When I started in the motorcycle parts business back in the early 80s our rule of thumb to justify keeping an item in stock was it has to make at least 4 turns per year. That means if you only sold 2 or 3 VF750S Saber speedometer cables per year stocking them would be a money loosing decision. In these modern days of shrinking margins the things you keep on hand better move faster than that if you want to stay in business.

A current mid sized dealer might sell a million dollars in parts per year. That sales volume might justify around $200,000 of inventory. A good parts manager has to spend that money wisely. There are probably well over a thousand Suzuki cable part numbers. Will the DR650 clutch cable make the cut? Doubtful, especially when the dealer can have a factory cable delivered in a few days or an aftermarket equivalent in a day or two.

When I went to work for a Honda dealer in 1982 Honda had 52 motorcycle & ATV models for sale that year alone. Of course they offer new models or changes to old models every year. The more we get of new models and improvements to old models the more more new part numbers are generated and the more difficult it becomes for the dealer to have any meaningful stock of replacement parts.

We can complain all we want about dealers not having parts in stock but that is not going to change any time soon. What has changed and is continuing to improve is the time it takes to get those parts from the parts warehouse to the buyer.
phreakingeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:45 AM   #69125
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Oddometer: 619
warp9man thanks for going to the trouble and expense of putting these parts into production!

TravelGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by warp9man View Post
2nd item is Levers
I could find any decent levers out there for the DR, you get stock or Bikemaster levers, nothing that i was happy with so. you guessed it were making levers to and im supper happy with them and these puppies are already be machined in mass quantities. only diffrence from the picture is it will be titanium color pivot and black blade for a 2 tone look. we tried a lever with the sport bike little lever adjustments on them but after a few rides in the dirt the little adjusters siezed up so we went a more old scholl and simpler adjustment of bolt with backer nut. the levers fold and are adjustable for reach.

yes we are also doing a real chain guide that can take a beating.

here are the prototypes that are working out great, they use the stock perches and work with the OEM brake switches. im also going to include new pivot bolts for guys that are not running the OEM hand guards.

DR650 '07
TRAVELGUY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:06 AM   #69126
WilderRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
Speaking of ordering parts, has anyone here ever done business with RegulatorRectifier.com? All the forum posts I've read said that they were the place to go for things like, say, a pulser coil. I placed an order with them and Procycle on the same day last week on Friday or Saturday. I get order confirmation emails from both almost immediately. Come Monday morning, I have a "your product has shipped" notice from Procycle. As of yesterday, the Procycle order has arrived and I still haven't heard anything back from the regulatorrectifier.com folks. I'm normally not too fussy about ordering parts, but I do hate seeing my bike up on stands in the garage instead of out riding. So has anyone else had any experience with them in the past?
I had good luck with them when I ordered my pulser coil. They were also very responsive by telephone (I was calling from a campsite in Moab) and worked well with me. If you think it has been long enough, give them a call.

But, BTW, comparing the shipping speeds from Procycle seems unfair. Those guys at Procycle are FAST!!!!
Old 09-14-2012, 08:26 AM   #69127
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelers View Post
Do you think that a 790cc kit and something like the Wee-Strom seat would be sufficient for 2-up adventure touring?
The strom seat yes, and I'd also love to know about the 790 kit...
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:29 AM   #69128
kamlander
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
re: RegulatorRectifier

called RegulatorRectifier, regarding pending order. it was sent and received by my drop box in the u.s., so i guess they get a thumbs up from me. confusion arose from the fact that they do not provide tracking, so my mistake.
kamlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:27 AM   #69129
Tex76
Motersykle Advntyers

Oddometer: 866
Levers

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
warp9, put me down for that adjustable brake lever when available.
Ya keep us updated on the levers. The last owner of my DR cut his balls off to get a good fit with the handguards. I want to replace the whole setup.
The Lost Texan, Wanders East
Tex76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:01 AM   #69130
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
Not to start a heavy heated argument but I see a lot of people on here raving about the 800XC as a replacement for the DR650.

I say...NO WAY IN HELL is it even comparable. And it'll be a cold day that a street bike even comes close to competing with the DR.

Why???

Simply because it weighs more than 100lbs more, is shocked/strutted for street use, and gets horrible (low 40's) gas mileage before adding things like panniers.

I used to have an 800GS which is a hell of a better off-road adventure bike than the 800XC (better shocks, lighter weight, better gas mileage) and the 800GS was STILL about 100lbs too heavy without accessories.

So I challenge anyone who is touting the "XC" as a replacement for the DR to step up and give us some proof. Seriously. I just don't think the XC has any chance of being anything more than another street machine.

The DR is an OFF-ROAD machine and A STREET machine all in one. 80 mph on the highway then bombing the rocky single track and rutted trail with ease. What other bike can do that? That is all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
Regarding all of the recent comments about the 800xc, let me give my opinion after having owned the 800 road version.

They are hot, especially on the right side---hotter than ANY new bike I have owned since 2007 ( which includes 2 Harleys, BMW 800, Bandit, FJR, Z1000). I found the 800 to be "a ride only under 80 degrees" bike. I kept my trusty DR through all of these bikes and found myself riding the DR far more than any of these other bikes.

The second problem was the throttle. It was "twichy". It was as if there was no throttle cable slack (had it at the dealer twice for this and they said this was "normal"). The throttle was either off or on resulting in a jerky ride. It was difficult to ride at a constant speed in any of the lower gears.

I recently sold the 800 because of these issues, and am now riding only the DR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
I don't believe the 800GS BMW is all that much better than the XC off road. Neither come close to the DR.

Other than that I agree ... although everyone I know with F800's replaces the suspension first thing. Also ... they DO HAVE some issues ... unlike the little Tiger, which has been relatively bullet proof.

The point you missed was what happens on either of those bikes even with a minor tip over. EXPENSIVE!! The DR crashes very well ... with bark busters and case covers ... its nearly indestructible. I know this from personal experience and 48K miles on my current DR. (I've had three)
When the GS or XC hit the ground ... $$$$$$$$$$$ !!!

If you stay on pavement then the XC Tiger is a smooth, fun and good handling bike. Not all that fast but has a nice personality. Once packed up for the road she's a heavy beast, well over 500 lbs. Still, fun and engaging and good on ANY paved road... and did I mention reliable? Unlike the F800GS.
I own a 2007 DR650, just bought a 2012 Tiger 800XC in July and just got back from a 4 day dual sport ride on the Tiger. I bought the Tiger to replace my Honda CBF1000 and do some back roads exploring. My wife rides a Triumph Street Triple and a DR200. We have lots of both twisty paved roads, but even more forestry roads where we live. We are always trying to figure out which bikes to ride, street bikes or DRs. The DRs have been great for exploring but suck on long windy highway blasts, especially Jodie's little 200. My 650 is OK on the highway but I would never call it comfortable. I have been waiting for a bike like the Tiger for a long time. We have ridden BMW F800s on several trips through the Alps, Costa Rica etc. and had a ball on them but would never own one. They are buzzy and there are lots of problems reported although we've never had a break down on them. Plus they just can't compare to the Triumph triple.

I didn't have any problems with the Tiger handling wise or find it to be any more of a handful than my DR is on our ride. I did crash twice, well one crash and one just set it down slowly. No damage to the bike and I didn't even have time to fit the BarkBusters before we left so I just had the crappy plastic hand guards, but I loosened the lever bolts so my clutch just twisted instead of snapping when I crashed.

This ride ended up being way tougher than I was expecting. I suck in sand and that crash isn't a reflection on the bike but more my ability or more accurately, lack of it. Probably would have crashed my DR there too. We rode about 50kms on power line roads, these were steep rocky, loose climbs and descents with a few washouts thrown in. I didn't have any trouble on that knarly terrain, just the sand.

We wouldn't choose to ride roads that difficult, we typically just take off down forestry roads and for our "typical" use the Tiger is the perfect choice. Way, way more comfortable and fun on the twisty parts, and I find I can slide the back end easier on the Tiger than the DR but I'm still learning.

Just to give you an idea of the terrain, there was one broken leg, the guy rode 15km out of the bush with his leg splinted with branches and electrical tape. One broken nose, one broken wrist, another broken arm. My wife had a spectacular crash on a steep rocky ascent when a truck came over the rise, she moved right but was chasing a rider on an F800GS and couldn't see the trail for the dust and tagged not one but three big rocks before being bounced into the ditch. Thankfully just bruised up and learned a good lesson, she'd been riding too damn fast and having a bit too much fun chasing the guys on their "bigger" bikes.

Sure my DR would have been a bit easier to handle in the toughest sections, but I didn't struggle with the Tiger through them either. And when it came to the 5 1/2 hour highway blast to get home I was sure glad I was on the Tiger and not the DR.

As for the heat, yes you get some heat from the bike when the fan kicks in. We both find our DRs to be the "coolest" bikes we've ever ridden except for the R1200RT. We live in Canada's only desert and see temps in the 90-100 degree range and have never had a problem with the DRs getting hot or bugging us with heat. I'm not bothered by the heat from the Tiger but Jodie has sold bikes because they roasted her, like her Ninja 650. Heat is a very relative thing and we all handle it differently. Does the Tiger get hot? Sure but for me it's not uncomfortable and we were mostly 1st and 2nd gear all weekend with temps hovering around 90 for most of the weekend.

I sure don't have any problems with the throttle, it's not twitchy at all and we were riding on the pegs up and down those steep, tight switch backs and I didn't even think about the throttle/clutch etc. they just worked.

Me and Jodie doing what we love to do.

Anyone doubting the Tiger 800XC's abilities, just read a few of av_mech's or burren riders threads. As usual it really boils down to the riders ability, the Tiger IS capable.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=701552
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=704559

bross screwed with this post 09-14-2012 at 11:19 AM
bross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:39 AM   #69131
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxbundy View Post
Really? I think having high quality parts to replace cheesy stock ones with is a bonus in my book.
You definitely wont be interested in any of the stuff I am working on for the DR then.

Bundy
Warp 9 ... Those levers are nice! ... and I do like your chain guide.
Although somehow my white plastic stocker is still hanging in at nearly 50,000 miles. It's been whacked many times by rocks ... not so bad, but I'm sure a custom job will be better.

I've never broken a lever on my DR despite quite a few falls. Bark Busters seem to make all the difference ... and a correct positioning of them and the levers ... or maybe I'm just lucky?
I always pack two spare levers. They were $8 each.

Anyone doing custom upgrades for the DR gets a BIG
in my book!

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 09-14-2012 at 11:58 AM
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:50 AM   #69132
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post

Just to give you an idea of the terrain, there was one broken leg, the guy rode 15km out of the bush with his leg splinted with branches and electrical tape. One broken nose, one broken wrist, another broken arm. My wife had a spectacular crash on a steep rocky ascent when a truck came over the rise, she moved right but was chasing a rider on an F800GS and couldn't see the trail for the dust and tagged not one but three big rocks before being bounced into the ditch. Thankfully just bruised up and learned a good lesson, she'd been riding too damn fast and having a bit too much fun chasing the guys on their "bigger" bikes.

Sure my DR would have been a bit easier to handle in the toughest sections, but I didn't struggle with the Tiger through them either. And when it came to the 5 1/2 hour highway blast to get home I was sure glad I was on the Tiger and not the DR.

Anyone doubting the Tiger 800XC's abilities, just read a few of av_mech's or burren riders threads. As usual it really boils down to the riders ability, the Tiger IS capable.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=701552
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=704559
Big Kudos on one Hell of a ride! Great points made all round.
Sounds like you really tested the Tiger XC.
I think you were perhaps a bit lucky regards no serious damage when you fell. If you fell on sand ... that's a good thing. Falling on rocks or flipping the bike is where damage can happen. IN GENERAL ... I believe the DR survives a bit better than the XC. Also, the XC is so beautiful, I just can't see beating up a $13,000 bike.
The important thing is ... Don't Crash!

Nice going! Love the pics!

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 09-14-2012 at 11:59 AM
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:06 PM   #69133
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,495
Quote:
Big Kudos on one Hell of a ride! Great points made all round.
Sounds like you really tested the Tiger XC.
I think you were perhaps a bit lucky regards no serious damage when you fell. If you fell on sand ... that's a good thing. Falling on rocks or flipping the bike is where damage can happen. IN GENERAL ... I believe the DR survives a bit better than the XC. Also, the XC is so beautiful, I just can't see beating up a $13,000 bike.
The important thing is ... Don't Crash!

Nice going! Love the pics!
I totally agree, the DRs will always crash better than a Tiger or GS once you have barkbusters and some case protection.

And I agree about the not crashing part, that's always the plan but just not always followed.

Just wish I could ride as good as this guy did on his XL, he breezed through the whole ride, which really hits home the point "It ain't the tool, son".

bross screwed with this post 09-14-2012 at 12:21 PM
bross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:23 PM   #69134
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,913
Quote:

Quote:
If I pulled out the camera when my ex looked like that, I'd get punished.

Quote:
Me and Jodie doing what we love to do.

Quote:
Warp 9 ... Those levers are nice! ... and I do like your chain guide.

Anyone doing custom upgrades for the DR gets a BIG
in my book!

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:40 PM   #69135
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,161
The guy in this picture needs to be part of this community.

Outstanding all-'rounder he seems to have there.

Quote:

Just wish I could ride as good as this guy did on his XL, he breezed through the whole ride, which really hits home the point "It ain't the tool, son".

Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote