Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 518 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 09-14-2012, 11:03 PM   #25111
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,116
aanyone remember these?

that is a Moxey, got sued out of existance awhile back by Cane Creek who has patents on their Thudbusters.... I was looking for a suspension seatpost for my wife's comfort stepthrough hybrid, and didn't want to get one of those cheap chinese springy-posts, but Thudbusters were just too effin' expensive ($150 seatpost on a $250 bike? eeek!). won this puppy on fleabay, owner says its new, he was given it but never used it because it didn't fit his frame. afaik, they are a 25mm or so post that you shim to fit, wife's bike is a 27.2mm.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:08 AM   #25112
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,465
Alright, I received the Look Keo 2 Max pedals, and they're fine. They really haven't changed much, have they? But while reading through the directions there is a weight limit of 220 lbs. I'm heavier than that (I was 224 when I was 18 FFS).

Am I about to stomp my foot straight down to the tarmac and make love to my frame or shouldn't I be concerned? I didn't think I bought anything exotic, I thought these were chromoly spindles?

What's the weight limit on the titanium spindled pedals, 150 lbs?

Anyone remember the titanium spindled Campy Super Record quills which did break from time to time?
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:19 AM   #25113
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,116
if you're heavy and strong enough, you can break damn near ANything.

I think I saw something buried in some Specialized literature, that most of their bikes are designed for max rider weight of 200 or 220 lbs. I'm sure other makers are the same.

if you're not dirt jumping on those pedals, and you're a spinner rather than a masher, you'll be fine.

I snapped a Phil Wood bottom bracket on my road bike once when I was ~ 165 lbs... the non-drive-side crank came completely off mid stroke on a hill climb. ooops!
Old 09-15-2012, 06:17 AM   #25114
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
Alright, I received the Look Keo 2 Max pedals, and they're fine. They really haven't changed much, have they? But while reading through the directions there is a weight limit of 220 lbs. I'm heavier than that (I was 224 when I was 18 FFS).

Am I about to stomp my foot straight down to the tarmac and make love to my frame or shouldn't I be concerned? I didn't think I bought anything exotic, I thought these were chromoly spindles?
I doubt you'll break them, unless you look like this guy.

ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:49 PM   #25115
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,831
3:27, 63mi, 4400' of climbing aka the Rappahannock Rough Ride

Buddy of mine and I started late and made our way thru the stragglers to the first rest stop. Everyone was at the first rest stop. They were all standing around shooting the breeze, I knew that if I stopped, I'd get all kinds of stiff so B and I had a cookie and kept going.

Ran into a buddy of ours, G, who we conned into working with us. Now we were 3 bucking a head and/or side wind most of the ride. That extra person really made a difference fighting the headwind lemme tell ya!

Up down up down up down (repeat for the next 40 miles) I swear if the roads we were on weren't pointed up, we were going downhill till the next uphill. Now add a nifty headwind and you have recipe for very tired legs by the end of the ride.

We picked up a 4th along the way into Flint Hill. Adding a 4th guy to work in was even mo bettah than having just the 3 of us.

By the time we got to the last rest stop, I needed a bottle refilled, and all of us needed a bite to eat. Quick stop and off we went. Evidently we were the 2nd group on the road on the big loop. Never did see the people in front of us, so I suspect they got down the road from the gun.

Coupla takeaways:
  • Headwinds suck but having someone to share em with make em bearable
  • Hills suck (see above)
  • Having people with you makes lots of things better
  • If you're in a group, don't attack the hills. My buddy is notorious for getting to the bottom of a hill and hammering up it regardless of what the group's doing now or has been doing the whole ride. I'll admit I'm probably the weakest link on a hill. ...but I can tow em around at a high rate of speed on the flat, so it makes sense to not kill guys like me off.
  • If you're going to accelerate, do it smoothly so the guys behind you don't have to dig real deep to get on your wheel. (my buddy again)
  • Beers after a ride taste VERY good
I'm beat. My thighs are tired all the way to the top of my inner quad muscle. 'Course, today IS the 4th big-ish day in a row.

Hope your weekend rides went well too

M
Old 09-15-2012, 04:32 PM   #25116
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,837
Go! Gummee! Cool report. Reminds me of so many rides into Eastern Colorado. Rolers we called them since our reference was bigassed mountains.

I finally got to Sports Authority today to pick up a new pair of shoes. Yes, shoes I'm here in Levelland sans bikes, so running is the deal. But, not or much longer.
I may have a line on some single track mtb action, paid for too!

More on that later.

What is it about running shoes that they are required to get uglier as the years go by? These new ones are hideous even by KLR standards.

But, they came free by way of me having ridden and run about 600 miles in the companies moveyour fastasses deal we do every year. And every year the fat asses get fatter, though I'm dong my part. "... speed eating sunflower seeds..." or yard waste as I call it. . so for averaging more than my 15,000 steps per day I got a $100 to Sports Authority, even though I picked Dick's, (just the name is close).
Anyay tomorrow after I watch the MotoGP race from Misano live via streaming MotoGP.com, I'll see if I can still run,
Meanwhile since I worked for ten hours today this is my PUI Friday.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:39 PM   #25117
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 7,363
Pedals:

I had the "click in" type pedals years ago. I assume they still make them??

Is there a pair of those I could get for around $50-ish?

Do they still make the ones that are "regular" on one side,and click in style on the other side??

Any recommendations???

Links appreciated too.
DougZ73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:45 PM   #25118
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

I have a pair of cheap SPD-type pedals and cleats that you can have if you send me your street addy. They are not double sided and I haven't seen a pair of those in years, but I bet they still make them.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:47 PM   #25119
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Well, I found these, probably exactly what you want and damn inexpensive as well.

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...68_-1___400048

Sale:
$34.99

Old 09-15-2012, 06:13 PM   #25120
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Hope your weekend rides went well too

M
It did. Too tired to type out a description...stand by for the dreaded Strava embed:

The scenery made the stay in the pain cave tolerable:

Old 09-15-2012, 06:41 PM   #25121
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 7,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
Well, I found these, probably exactly what you want and damn inexpensive as well.

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...68_-1___400048

Sale:
$34.99

Bobby...thanks for the link. Those look like they may work perfectly. PM also incoming.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
DougZ73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:54 PM   #25122
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 19,860
1200k Last Chance brevet done

The 1200k that I attempted officially ends in about 10 minutes.

Things that went wrong:
1. We had cold, driving rain the entire first day which was a tab over 250 miles. I don't recall my time but I'll post it later.
2. I'm guessing that less than half of the 33 that started the event, finished it. I'll provide that later.
3. My ring finger is numb
4. Both feet are numb around the toes
5. I fell asleep riding more than once. That's scary - that led to three different dirt naps - once by a grain silo, one by a flagpole and one in a ditch in tall grass.
6. My dyno lights failed - luckily, I carry battery backups. They sucked.
7. Over three days, I got 7 hours of sleep.

Things that went right:
1. I finished at roughly 86:20 which was several hours before the 90-hr time limit..

I don't have the exactly time and will provide it later when I do a proper ride report. Right now, I'm going to bed.
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:54 PM   #25123
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 888
Gerry
Old 09-15-2012, 09:38 PM   #25124
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 3,169
OMG, that's kick ass Gerry. Unbelievable, and you started LD riding around 2 years ago, right? PBP is next summer, right?
Edit: whoops, it's every 4 years. You'll have to wait until 2015.

My wife (rider of many double centuries) sends her congrats too.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:40 PM   #25125
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
Bobby...thanks for the link. Those look like they may work perfectly. PM also incoming.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
I have both those and the shimano that look just like em, The performance pedals are ok pedals, they work fine. They aren't as smooth as the Shimano pedals. (the SPD or the bearings.)
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: