Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-14-2012, 08:25 PM   #1
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,121
Google maps to iPhone XXX app?

Is there an iPhone nav app (Garmin, Motion X, Navigon etc) that allows one to upload maps made on google maps from laptop or desktop computer? I'm looking for a way to use my iPhone like I use my GPS/Basecamp and cut out the middleman.

Thanks
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:48 PM   #2
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,372
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:17 AM   #3
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 759
you can do this with Motion X but you have to convert the maps first, email them to the phone and then open them in Motion X. Google and you should be able to find details and instructions.

I tried this for awhile but I'm not sure the iphone is up to being mounted unless you have a heavy duty case. Even then I need my phone for a phone more than I need it for a map.

I kick it analog and create my maps in Google and then write down a punch list of turns (L-FM 156 to BFE...etc) and put that on my tank bag.

I found it's easier to keep the phone in my pocket and take it out when needed as long as I have cell service.
I also press the power button and screen button at the same time and take screen snapshots of maps to refer to when I'm off the grid.

I use an older jog wheel ipod for tunes so that I can pause or skip songs with my gloves on.

I'm interested to see how well the new Apple mapping works next week when I get my shiny new iphone 5.
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:24 PM   #4
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,477
I'm interested to see how your new iPhone handles the vibration when mounted like a motorcycle GPS.

Fred
FredRydr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:02 PM   #5
guavadude
de-composer

I keep the phone in my pocket.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:01 AM   #6
DaveyDave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
I don't know if it's available in the States, but I've just brought mud maps and it seems like that could be ok.

http://www.mud-maps.com/
Old 09-17-2012, 06:28 AM   #7
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
I keep the phone in my pocket.
Nuts. We need a guinea pig on this.

Fred
FredRydr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:17 AM   #8
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

I just used my iPhone with the Garmin app for 2500 miles of NY state backroads. For navigation, it worked fine, but the major downer is not being able to work routes on laptop then upload to GPS. Until a real solution to that comes up, this will never be a real solution imho. It could be right around the corner with Google maps. Dunno. It'd be really cool to be able to route in google maps, save to "my places", then just open a google app and there they are with turn by turn. Of course, they'd need to be available offline.

I used the RAM X-GRIP. This is a pretty impressive mount. The phone didn't budge and its very easy to use.

For me, this isn't a long term solution regardless of future apps. I like the idea of redundancy, and relying solely on one unit is not a solution, although it sure was easy and worked well. My GPS quit charging 2 days before leaving on my trip, so I was left scrambling for a nav solution.

As for long term vibration, I can't say this is an option. I will say though that the X-grip is rubber mounted, and the phone didn't vibrate at all. That link has a video showing the phone getting shook as the manufacturers proof, but who knows in real world situations. I plan on using it until I decide what my next GPS will be. It's cool to have these options at our fingertips!
1971 Lambretta DL
Old 09-17-2012, 07:58 AM   #9
DynaSport
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 482
I too would like to be able to design a ride in Google maps and download it to my iphone, but I am still working on finding a solution. I have Motion-X Drive which won't do it, but as posted earlier Motion-X non Drive version is supposed to. I haven't tried that app yet, but it doesn't seem to be made for road usage from looking at it. Please correct me if I am wrong.

As far as a mount goes, I just bought this mount

http://www.thinkbiologic.com/product...mount-iphone-4

and will be using it for a 2000 mile trip next week. Hopefully it will be good. It was made for mountain biking, so hopefully it will stand up to my paint shaker on the road.

We'll see. If I fry my iPhone, I guess I'll just have to get a 5
DynaSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:06 AM   #10
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynaSport View Post

We'll see. If I fry my iPhone, I guess I'll just have to get a 5
One way to look at it is that replacing with a new phone is cheaper than buying a new GPS. If routing options start opening up, I just might do that. New iPhone 5, and use my 4 on the bike...
1971 Lambretta DL
Old 09-17-2012, 08:53 AM   #11
guavadude
de-composer

Motion X GPS (non drive) works well and is cheap.
Navigon and other gps apps are good too but can drain the battery unless you have the right charger.

iPhones don't work well with gloves and are way too fragile. I had a 3S mounted for awhile using motion X and the glad broke when I took a spill. If you use the iPhone as gps you need a spare phone for emergencies.

But still, I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger on a $500 Montana because it seems like dealing with it's software issues is a full time job.

I just want google's MY MAPS and routes to show up on a bombproof iphone or Android. Routing in google is SO easy and by using terrain and Sat images, I can find the best roads.
For my weekend riding and trips to neighboring states, my written turn list has been all I need. It's not tech sexy but it works and I spend more time riding and not watching a gps.

If I was planning a longer trip I'd have multiple GPS units
and an iPhone.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:19 AM   #12
guavadude
de-composer

One tip for routing when using google maps is to ask for walking directions between destinations.
This will give you the "crow flies" route while avoiding highways. Then add a point and drag the route to include any other roads you want.

Also if there aren't close up camera views for some roads, you can often zoom in at a connecting road and look down the road in question. Good for checking to see if there's gravel when plotting rides with non ds'ers.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:19 AM   #13
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
I'm interested to see how your new iPhone handles the vibration when mounted like a motorcycle GPS.

Fred
I've had mine mounted on the bike on and offroad with a ram mount for 4 years with no problems at all.
KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:55 PM   #14
guavadude
de-composer

On the google map site there's a promo link about offline maps. You can download maps and have full function even when offline. Way cool.

Hopefully Apple has this in their maps as well.
Also wondering what Apple will have as far as desktop mapping like google.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:35 PM   #15
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TheQuadShop View Post
I've had mine mounted on the bike on and offroad with a ram mount for 4 years with no problems at all.
Jeff, have you found a solution for laptop/desktop routing? Someone has got to figure this out. I'm surprised there isn't a seamless solution already..
1971 Lambretta DL