Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2012, 07:13 AM   #16
Greg MacD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 463
Awesome! This sounds like the making of a great RR.
"Drinking Rum before 10 am does not make you an Alcoholic, it makes you a Pirate"
Greg MacD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:27 AM   #17
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,314
Good on you John! We have a guy in our club that rides like he stole it a the age of 83.

Larry, the leader of that ride is in his 70's.

Of course there's Punky and Lew.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63249

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:29 AM   #18
Scubalong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Wow..

Awesome...................
Enjoy your ride and be safe, I wish I can do the same when I am reaching your age
. Will be follow you on this report.
Scubalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:53 AM   #19
rgiroux
Invisible Man

Oddometer: 2,308
Met a great guy in Fairbanks in 2009. He had rode solo up from Virginia and was waiting to get to Prudhoe.

He was 70 at the time. One of the greatest fellows you could ever meet. Leaves me in the curves (not saying much)

Heck yeah, I'm in.

2009 Alaska , 2010 Moab
2011 Calif Dreaming , 2013 Mexico
rgiroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:01 AM   #20
BingoRyder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 739
I will be 67 when i go back to Mexico this spring. I'm it too.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:55 AM   #21
cdndog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Captain Morgan, Coherent???
Carry on Sir.
You have my respect and attention.
cdndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:50 AM   #22
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,287
Carry on and am subscribed....fire away....You too have my respect...Captn' Morgan, eh...good thoughts. Myself am 68 years young and just sold my 1200GS/DMC sidecar to a 69'er...now am missing it . Looking for another different 1200GS rig/sidecar for more offroading if and only IF my Missus will let me buy another one.

Can't wait on your RR and see what Captn' Morgan has brought....

cheers...
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:06 AM   #23
jds2835
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Bad Ass
jds2835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:43 PM   #24
calimusjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Brian View Post
I am so subscribed

I turned my Mom and stepfather onto ADV rider a while back, and my stepfather, 73, a scooter rider, is, this week, shopping for a big enough scooter to maybe do some travelling.(he says he can't get his leg over a bike seat anymore)
I also have a scooter. Click on the picture for a short video.

calimusjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:48 PM   #25
little foot
Scratch and Sniff

Oddometer: 5,920
Well don't toot your horn and not show nothin.
little foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:02 PM   #26
calimusjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOUNZ View Post
73, and still able to push it, inspite of skeletal issues, wonderful!
Apparently, you're in good shape, otherwise. Probably good genetics. That's the real key.
Most, aren't as fortunate. On the one hand, I had good genes, I'm 71, but Lyme disease since my late twenties has counteracted my good genes, so a long list off health issues.
For me, riding 20 miles is an accomplishment. Am I able to fully enjoy it? No, but just sitting home on the couch is lousy, and depressive, time drags. Liver issues preclude a lot of anti-inflammatories, so it's a vicious cycle.
I down graded from a Suzuki gs 650 gl [ran good] to a low miles 78 Honda cm400 Automatic! I would have liked to try a trike, but way out of my price range. Therefore, I decided to build a sidecar for the little Honda, took me a couple of months of serious "tinkering" but I managed to produce what I feel is a decent, functional product. Performance, probably similar to a Ural rig [on the street] at a small fraction of the cost. Sorry, don't know how to post pix on this site or I would have done a build report.
Anyway, if I hear you zooming up behind me, I'll pull to the side and wave as you fly by, you lucky bastard.
Miles traveled is not the goal. It's the moving and accomplishing something that is important to me. The Doctors basically told me to sit down, shut up, and die. I am not quite ready. You clearly have medical issues that far surpass mine. I lift a glass to you - you have found a way around the stops. Designing and building a side hack is no small accomplishment. Like you, I try to push my limits. The other option - is NOT an option. Remember Apollo 13? Failure was not an option.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:04 PM   #27
calimusjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
There are always reasons why we cant do what we want to do; look at how many of us live vicariously through the "audacity" of others. We are never supposed to go ride a motorcycle off somewhere- its too dangerous, "you need to work and save up more money for stuff you 'need'", etc. Everyone will always tell you how you should live your life, and thats exactly why this place is called an asylum.

Good on ya' inmate. Ill don a straightjacket with you and go along for the ride.
Hmmmn. . . straightjacket, a set of handcuffs, a whip . . . oh, sorry. That is a different forum.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:20 PM   #28
Mo-Tarded
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Face it... Life is dangerous. You can live it two ways.

By actually living it, or watching it pass you by.

I'll take the former. Good on ya mate.
"Our lives can be spent carrying out actions that we hope will lead us to a greater sense of purpose, accomplishment and meaning, but all these are secondary to the need to feel alive." - AntiHero ADV Rider
Mo-Tarded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:58 PM   #29
calimusjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Alaska Bound

Hi. I stated earlier that I rode a SaddleSore 1,000 with two broken ribs. Stuff happens. I babied myself for the six weeks the Doc told me it would take to heal. Six weeks go by. I purchase a 2011 BMW R1200RT. I ride it over to one of my nearest neighbors - 4.5 miles - (I live off grid). I park the bike in an area with clump grass. I visit and upon trying to tip toe turn it around, yep - dropped the bike and I landed on those two same ribs. I didn't need a Doctor to tell me they were re-broken. The ride home was not a barrel of laughs. Eleven days later is where this report starts: Last year, I tried to ride to Alaska after compleating the Four Corner's Tour sponsored by SCMC. I headed across Canada from Madawaska, Maine. For hundreds of miles I saw fields and roads under water. Canada was just about washed away from incredible amounts of rain. I "forded" many streams where the Government had bull- dozed breaks in the Highways trying to get the water level down by creating man made rivers. I was lucky in that most of the breaks in the roadway were marked by a traffic cone - and sometimes two. Ultimately, I reached Dawson Creek. The temperature was in the thirties. It was raining one minute and snowing the next. Timber trucks coming out of the forests brought copious amounts of dirt with them onto the Highway. A layer of 2 to 3 inches deep of muddy slush was my roadway. I was on a Honda Goldwing Trike. Three wheeling was bad. I can not imagine what it would have been like on two. The trucks threw mud 20 to 30 feet into the air as they passed. I would duck below windshield level as a truck roared by. The windshield was solid mud. My visor was a smeared mess. My eyeglasses were useless. I pulled off the road at a wide spot. I was exhausted, I was freezing with electric gloves and vest on "High". It was getting dark. I was scared spitless. In a slight break, I motored into Dawson Creek and stopped at the first Motel I came to.
I registered while standing on the porch - they didn't want me dumping mud in the office. At the room, I walked into the shower helmet on - wearing ATGATT. (All the gear, all the Time) Even after dry clean clothes and a hot meal, I was still shaking. I hurt. I could not go on. I hated everything about motorcycle touring. I was defeated. Captain Morgan tried to raise my morale. He finally gave up. Instead he started calling me every vile name in the book . . . went on at some length . . . how ya' gonna face that Old Geezer in the Mirror if a little bad weather does ya' in? . . . He finally convinced me that I needed to attack in a different direction. Anyone remember the Korean Police action? Our guys weren't defeated - they turned and attacked in a different direction. Turned out to be good advice.

This is what I was riding as I rode south to better weather the next day. No more blue ink!

calimusjohn screwed with this post 09-16-2012 at 01:13 PM
Old 09-15-2012, 06:07 PM   #30
Eagletalon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
I have to say that i have the same energy you do at age 73. I am sorry about your loss and I can't even begin to imagine that you went through. Keep the rubber down man and ride on.

Later
John
Eagletalon is offline   Reply With Quote