Old 09-05-2012, 07:04 AM   #496
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
It came in yesterday!

Next to my ZT200.

In my hand.

At ~10' the spot is about 8" across.

Same distance the flood beam is about 8' across.

They claimed about 300 lumens from this LED. Judging by the ocular check and the heat it generated after playing around for about 3 min, I'd say it's probably between 200-300. However, the beam on the wall doesn't seem as bright as that. Maybe 100-150. I suspect it has to do with the focusing lens.

Here's the spot next to direct sunlight.

Over all the casting and threads are a bit rough, however it feels solid, has some heft to it, all the various seals seem to be decent quality and the sliding focus ring has a good consistent movement with no rattling.

For the money it seems like a fantastic buy, but we'll see how long it lasts.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother

EvilGenius screwed with this post 09-05-2012 at 07:24 AM
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:11 AM   #497
seuadr
Wee-stromer

Oddometer: 773
all broken links..
seuadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:27 AM   #498
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Fixed!

Old 09-05-2012, 10:46 AM   #499
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
Fixed!
BTW one can have a lot of fun with a flashlight and a cat if the torch does strobe......
Old 09-15-2012, 10:56 AM   #500
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Well it lasted a whole week and a half before my gf confiscated it to use as her duty light.

We'll see how long it lasts.

Old 09-15-2012, 11:01 AM   #501
A-Bone OP
Indubitably

Oddometer: 12,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
Well it lasted a whole week and a half before my gf confiscated it to use as her duty light.

We'll see how long it lasts.
Well, the upside is that it means you can start looking for a nice replacement...
A-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:42 PM   #502
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,528
Talking New Toys!

My most recent two happened to both be Streamlights.
I have had the ProTac HL for a few months now. Aluminum, uses 2 123 batteries, has high, strobe and low modes, high is 600 Lumens. I didn't think that the extra Lumens would be a dramatic change over my other 100 +/- Lumen lights but ..... the brightness is amazing (at least to me), when there is no visability nothing helps but this cut a swath across a smoky basement that was impressive. Battery life has to suffer to get that power but the originals are still going strong after a couple of months of what is for me 'normal use'. The strobe doesn't have much use for me (except to play), but I think that it would induce vomitting!
The PolyTac 90 is new this week, also uses a pair of 123s and has the same 'modes' but only a 'normal' 100 lumen output (I think) on high. It came packaged with the retractor on a BoTach 'special' for $49. My plan for it is to be clipped to my turnout coat, the pocket clip should keep it pointed more or less in front of me and when I unclip that for special use, I should still be able to keep it because of the retractor. Time will tell how that all works out.

I don't get it, the picture was wider that I wanted so I went back and cropped it, copied the code but I keep getting the original when I paste it here. I will try and get it right first time, next time because 'fixing' it sure isn't working for me.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225

Fire Escape screwed with this post 09-17-2012 at 09:41 AM Reason: Resize picture
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:25 PM   #503
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Escape View Post

My most recent two happened to both be Streamlights.
I have had the ProTac HL for a few months now. Aluminum, uses 2 123 batteries, has high, strobe and low modes, high is 600 Lumens. I didn't think that the extra Lumens would be a dramatic change over my other 100 +/- Lumen lights but ..... the brightness is amazing (at least to me), when there is no visability nothing helps but this cut a swath across a smoky basement that was impressive. Battery life has to suffer to get that power but the originals are still going strong after a couple of months of what is for me 'normal use'. The strobe doesn't have much use for me (except to play), but I think that it would induce vomitting!
The PolyTac 90 is new this week, also uses a pair of 123s and has the same 'modes' but only a 'normal' 100 lumen output (I think) on high. It came packaged with the retractor on a BoTach 'special' for $49. My plan for it is to be clipped to my turnout coat, the pocket clip should keep it pointed more or less in front of me and when I unclip that for special use, I should still be able to keep it because of the retractor. Time will tell how that all works out.

I don't get it, the picture was wider that I wanted so I went back and cropped it, copied the code but I keep getting the original when I paste it here. I will try and get it right first time, next time because 'fixing' it sure isn't working for me.

Bruce
Nice lights.
Try clearing your browser cache then checking the pic - probably not updated...
tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:45 AM   #504
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony the tiger View Post
Nice lights.
Try clearing your browser cache then checking the pic - probably not updated...

Thanks, I am pretty much computer illiterate. I ended up re-cropping the original and saving it which gave me a new code. All because I lack the knowledge to clear my cache! Oh well. Thanks again for getting me on the right track.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Old 09-17-2012, 06:10 PM   #505
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Escape View Post
Thanks, I am pretty much computer illiterate. I ended up re-cropping the original and saving it which gave me a new code. All because I lack the knowledge to clear my cache! Oh well. Thanks again for getting me on the right track.

Bruce
tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:44 PM   #506
welder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,521
anyone have any experience with greenlee flashlights? http://www.greenlee.com/products/FLA...%2540cLED.html
Old 10-03-2012, 10:54 PM   #507
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Question So..... what goes in it?

I don't recall seeing much mention of what to put in all these hi-tech flashlights.

In years past, I did pretty much what the commercials said, unless unavailable all my lights got Duracells (like most every other first responder did).
My childhood memories said that Eveready was OK and every leaky battery I destroyed a flashlight or toy with was a Ray-o-vac but we're talking 4 to 5 decades ago there.
I saw some of the Eveready AA Lithiums a while back, tried them in the GPS and have been using them since for all things AA battery. My newer lights take CR 123s. I honestly haven't used up many 123s to even have a good guess as to what is good/better/best. I bought a package (6, 10, 12??) of Surefires a few years ago at Cabela's (after paying $8 each for whatever brand I could find at a hardware store in the keys, didn't want to get 'caught short' again) and just put the last two of them into a light this week. I haven't used any yet but grabbed a 20 pack of Rayovacs (despite those long ago memories) from BoTac because they were cheap ($22) and what showed up were Streamlights.
My use of lights is so sporadic and spread between several different ones that I can't make a reasonable evaluation as to what is 'good'.

Who knows (or has an opinion) what works?

Bruce
Old 10-04-2012, 04:48 AM   #508
snofrog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 759
I made a deal with an ebay vendor for 20 Saik sa-7`s . I sold half of them to get my money back . with rayovac lithium 123a batteries they are bright
snofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:03 AM   #509
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,463
Regarding batteries, have you considered getting rechargeable batteries?

Fir about the same money you could have bought a charger and a couple batteries from battery junction. I have the ultrafire series and really like them for the price

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:18 AM   #510
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Thought about that.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
Regarding batteries, have you considered getting rechargeable batteries?

Fir about the same money you could have bought a charger and a couple batteries from battery junction. I have the ultrafire series and really like them for the price

I did give it a little thought.
Back when I was able to dive (pre sinus block) rechargeable batteries/lights were the 'new thing' and everyone had to have one, being contrary, I used an old school 'Bug Diver 400' that took 10 'D' alkaline cells (as I recall), heavy, cumbersome and expensive to 'refill'.But as a night dive went on the rechargeables would suddenly 'die' as the voltage dropped and I'd find myself in the center of a really tight crowd. The all until nothing nature of rechargeables didn't suit 'serious' use in my mind. While I am not going to find myself 40' underwater with a rapidly dimming light very often anymore, I spend much of my winter 'off the grid' where recharging isn't convenient. At present I'd need 11 of those 123 rechargeables for my lights plus 2 for the Eotech and that doesn't account for spares to be in the charger and ready. I have watched plenty of rechargeable lights, tools and defibrilators pass through service as a first responder, great when new out of the box, pia after a couple of years and gone after a few more because battery replacements cost more that a new device (not so much the defibs, we'd throw hundreds, probably thousands at more spare batteries and better conditioners because the unit was so $$$, while waiting for the next big improvement to justify replacement).
If time spent swapping and inconvenience (or worse) of having one 'quit' at the wrong time don't figure highly in the equation they are probably money well spent. For my wifes CD player (yes, we are old) they work fine but they aren't what I want in my light as I crawl down into a smoky basement.

Bruce

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: