Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2012, 04:01 PM   #106
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,455
Hmmm. The riding looks good there. Any of the banditry that exists on the tanzanian side of the lake? Would be awesome to circumnavigate the lake and enter from the north west of Tanzania.

Can you get visas at the border or did you get a multiple entry one for Kenya?
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:53 AM   #107
kuhjunge
3wheel enthusiast

Oddometer: 275
travel fewer is growing

keep it coming - great stories and fun pics

can hardly wait to get there myself
kuhjunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:56 AM   #108
michnus OP
Vagabond, yes I try!

Oddometer: 1,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmotten View Post
Hmmm. The riding looks good there. Any of the banditry that exists on the tanzanian side of the lake? Would be awesome to circumnavigate the lake and enter from the north west of Tanzania.

Can you get visas at the border or did you get a multiple entry one for Kenya?
I can not remember but I am sure at a cost you can.

As South Africans we can buy at the border, but that said, I think most people can buy at the border.
michnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:56 PM   #109
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,281
Fricking awesome.

You guys are fearless! I would LOVE to do a trip with you crazy South Africans! simply awesome.

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:24 AM   #110
kuhjunge
3wheel enthusiast

Oddometer: 275
Has anybody news what has happened? After Jordan, I did not see any updates anymore ....
kuhjunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:38 PM   #111
michnus OP
Vagabond, yes I try!

The one engine on the ferry broke and they had to replace it. In German timing a new engine arrived and two hours later we were on our way. The ferry is for free and runs every two hours. And then we got the lake flies every where. They are indeed small and gets into your nose, eyes, mouth everywhere they can get a place to sit.

That entire yellow engine propeller system get replaced with in 2 hours

School bus? What do you mean school bus,this is a school bus, we can fit many more kids

The entire parking area for the ferry is hard packed soil, the goats obviously find small rocks softer
Old 07-15-2013, 02:41 PM   #112
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:41 PM   #113
michnus OP
Vagabond, yes I try!

Ninja!!
Lake Victoria also have the pesky little lake flies. They are really small and with high humidity, every breath scores you a mouthful and a choked up throat .

Packed in like Sardines.

Ssesse Island is a small island group just South of Kampala and comprises 80 odd islands. It’s was a natural forest years ago but now people cut down everything to plant olive palms for oil. As with most other forest in these countries these forests will be gone in 10 or 15 years from now. The lodges are not as hip as the Malawi lodges but they do offer dirt cheap accommodation and great food. We were alone in the lodge because of the elections. For some reason everybody and tourist expected the worst to happen.

Pulling the plug from Lake Victoria.
One morning we saw this man trying to pull out the plug from lake Victoria, we proceeded beating him senseless just to figure out later he was trying to pull in his catch. Well that’s that for trying to be a good tourist.

Clean beaches luke warm water and plenty of beers, life is good!

Lodge on Ssese island, cheaper to rent a room than camp. And get damn hot water to wash with. The yellow containers got delivered late afternoon and is piping hot it stays like that till late night when we use smaller buckets to showers with

The entire way around Uganda the towns offer the same services to the community. Welding works manufacturing doors and window frames, and not light weight stuff, heavy crime proof articles. Coffins, repair shops for Pikipiki’s and loads of small restaurants offering anything from fried chips to Matoke, bananas cooked like porridge. There’s a world of difference between SA people and Ugandans, they make things happen, buy pikipiki’s to taxi people and belongings, cultivate every piece of land they can get their hands on, and even on slopes where it is so steep a goat will break a sweat over the eyebrows. In Transkei for example people have livestock, goats and cattle and do not plant anymore, that leaves hectares of soil erosion and people that wait for money from the employed that send money home for food. Here, it works the other way round, not much cattle most people farm on small scale.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:42 PM   #114
michnus OP
Vagabond, yes I try!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdon View Post
ye I know
Old 07-15-2013, 02:49 PM   #115
michnus OP
Vagabond, yes I try!

How lucky can one get, watching rugby on an old tv and they have DSTV.

Whatever de fuck this was when still alive it now looks like a Cheetah or Leopard that had a head on collision with a brick wall

Robinson Crusoe type living next to the lake

Braai (bbq) is now an international word!
Old 07-15-2013, 03:43 PM   #116
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Ya back!

Hope you got that thing sorted.
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:46 PM   #117
michnus OP
Vagabond, yes I try!

yip back have to add a few more.

when are you in Africa?
Old 07-16-2013, 12:50 PM   #118
michnus OP
Vagabond, yes I try!

From the ferry from Ssese to Entebbe from Ssese Island a Dutch traveller told us to go camp in the zoo in Entebbe. We all laughed at her, since when can you camp IN the zoo? It turned out to be true, and it was not some run down place with a few dead donkeys and two pigeons. They had rhinos, lions, giraffe, chimpanzees the works, even a Shoebill stork. *You are allowed to come and go as you please and in the evening if you wish you can stroll through the zoo without any other travelers.

This bar is for people waiting for the ferry to Entebbe.

One of the cleaner ferries I have seen, with some local funny dvd showing for entertainment

Packed line sardines again.

Entebbe zoo entrance.

Zoo lodging. Less than 10usd p/p to share the house.

Riding around the zoo after hours

This is the rare Shoebill stork. Very impressive and a big bird.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:56 PM   #119
michnus OP
Vagabond, yes I try!

Entebbe is quite a happening spot. There's good restaurants, bars and clubs to party till early morning. The botanical garden and it's huge mile high trees are something to behold and worth a visit when in Entebbe.

They have some big ass cockroaches roaming around.

Cavorting around Entebbe cruising the strip. Ye, ye, the main road *:lol8:

Where else can you buy real vellies like this with hairs and all, and in different animal skins? Man about town suave *:mwink:

It's Toss white, why? because I do not give a toss how white, or you want me to give a toss with Aloe?

Brain fruit, because it looks like a brain. Never? The smell is horrendous. Something between fermenting sewage and some sweet Papaya. *

I had to take the bike to get enough distance for this picture and then use the phone to tell Elsebie where to stand in front of the tree *:biggrin:

Skyscraper tall

Old 07-19-2013, 01:16 PM   #120
michnus OP
Vagabond, yes I try!

We passed Kampala staying one night just picking up a new camera for Elsebie at one of the fancy malls where Game decided to move in because business is bad in SA they might score in Uganda. Like I said in my previous reports stay de hell away from cities, they are all the same up through Africa and if you have seen one you have seen them all. There’s much more interesting places to see in Africa than dirty over crowded congested cities. The people are never as friendly as with rural folke there’s nothing vibrant and alive about these big cities.

RedCherry camp Kampala

fixing the compressor for the umpteenth time.

It has been a long time since we were able to make some bbq sandwiches. And we got to treat ourselves to some Captain Morgan and Coke

Redcherry camp in Kampala, this is what a backpackers look like mid morning. Kids got to tell the parents they are not being murdered and scalped in deep dark Africa *:biggrin:

Great people with a sense of humour