Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2012, 04:45 PM   #391
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_ice View Post
This Sunday, there is a small gymkhana meeting/training near the Dutch / German border, 20 minutes from the city of Venlo.

for who wants to learn more (and speak dutch: http://www.facebook.com/groups/346956898713362/ )

I will practice in the morning some and then go there.
Get some piccies or even betterer, some video.

The Chancellor & I had a pleasant hour or two on the DT last night. My focus was figure 8's with the bars hard on the stops. Couldn't do it....I must have been really, really close, the front wheel was at a ridiculous angle but I could not get it to clunk. Put a lot of effort into hauling the bars around, decided I would drop it if I had too but no clunk. Was a weird experience literally heaving the bars around hard as I could in my turn & the wee bike just lapped it up.
I noticed that I was turning earlier & earlier as I warmed up (& went mad), the G/F pointed out that I was tipping the bike over before the front wheel reached the ball.
Tried to hit the stops in 360's too, same result, no clunk.
T'was a bit mad really, I was buzzing by the time we went home.
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:53 PM   #392
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

Oddometer: 1,499
How will my linked brakes effect this since my rear brake put one piston on the front brake ob?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Storm Shadow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:13 PM   #393
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Krumpet View Post
Get some piccies or even betterer, some video.

The Chancellor & I had a pleasant hour or two on the DT last night. My focus was figure 8's with the bars hard on the stops. Couldn't do it....I must have been really, really close, the front wheel was at a ridiculous angle but I could not get it to clunk. Put a lot of effort into hauling the bars around, decided I would drop it if I had too but no clunk. Was a weird experience literally heaving the bars around hard as I could in my turn & the wee bike just lapped it up.
I noticed that I was turning earlier & earlier as I warmed up (& went mad), the G/F pointed out that I was tipping the bike over before the front wheel reached the ball.
Tried to hit the stops in 360's too, same result, no clunk.
T'was a bit mad really, I was buzzing by the time we went home.
My theory from my practices is to go slower, and lean less at first, to get to full lock.
But that was with my triumph. I haven't gotten to full lock on DRZ either.

I'm loving my DRZ by the way. Been out a few times, but nothing interesting to report. Just getting used to the new bike. I'm at a point where I'm close to where I left off with my Triumph. Less weight, and better ergonomics do make a big difference though.
This bike needs a new chain though... badly.
Vulfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:36 PM   #394
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulfy View Post
My theory from my practices is to go slower, and lean less at first, to get to full lock.
But that was with my triumph. I haven't gotten to full lock on DRZ either.

I'm loving my DRZ by the way. Been out a few times, but nothing interesting to report. Just getting used to the new bike. I'm at a point where I'm close to where I left off with my Triumph. Less weight, and better ergonomics do make a big difference though.
Good to hear. The trailies are fun. I'm guessing they have more lock than a road bike, I can make the TDM clunk. Last night I was actually push pulling on the bars, wrenching them round to try & hit the stops. There might be cables in the way, must check for squishing.

Storm Shadow, the instructor who got me started on this rides a Revere with linked brakes, same system. After watching him scrape the footrests turning inside a 5 mtr figure 8 I think it will not hinder you at all.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:55 AM   #395
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

Well never hadvany problem with the linked brakes it just got me thinking often forget they ate linked

Old 09-14-2012, 07:35 PM   #396
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Just occurred to me that this a good opportunity to change the gearing if you are so inclined. I'm guessing you will be doing chain & sprockets together.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:17 PM   #397
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Yes, that is the idea, to change chain along with the sprokets. Just waiting for some finances to pool up again, after the initial purchase of the bike.
She needs a few pieces.
Chain.
Sprockets.
New tires.
Carb re-jetting.
New brake fluid.

Maybe stiffer front springs, but I don't know yet.

I have Michelin Pilot tires on her right now, and they really suck compared to my Dunlop Q2's on my Triumph.
I'm constantly skidding my rear wheel when hard braking. Lean at speed is also a bit wobbly. Almost lost her in a wide turn in 3rd today.

I'm still boiling liquid in no time. Two consecutive runs of 5 laps each, and rear brake is gone. I did not change the brake fluid however, so god knows how old that one is.

Other than that, no complaints. I'm loving the ergonomics on her.

Here is the first "official" runs on her, with the cones, proper spacing, and timing of the runs.

Best I could muster up, was 37 seconds. So -2 from my best lap on Triumph, and smack right in the middle of general runs I was doing on Triumph before the heat wave, and then dropping her.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:37 PM   #398
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Yes, that is the idea, to change chain along with the sprokets. Just waiting for some finances to pool up again, after the initial purchase of the bike.
She needs a few pieces.
Chain.
Sprockets.
New tires.
Carb re-jetting.
New brake fluid.

Maybe stiffer front springs, but I don't know yet.

I have Michelin Pilot tires on her right now, and they really suck compared to my Dunlop Q2's on my Triumph.
I'm constantly skidding my rear wheel when hard braking. Lean at speed is also a bit wobbly. Almost lost her in a wide turn in 3rd today.

I'm still boiling liquid in no time. Two consecutive runs of 5 laps each, and rear brake is gone. I did not change the brake fluid however, so god knows how old that one is.

Other than that, no complaints. I'm loving the ergonomics on her.

Here is the first "official" runs on her, with the cones, proper spacing, and timing of the runs.

Best I could muster up, was 37 seconds. So -2 from my best lap on Triumph, and smack right in the middle of general runs I was doing on Triumph before the heat wave, and then dropping her.
Looking good. That squeak must be irritating. Try lowering your rear brake pedal to avoid the easy lock up. You have a lot less weight on the tire. I've rotated the brake pedal around 1 tooth on the TDM to avoid lock ups, it's a lot more of a reach for my foot but has helped a lot. Service & lubricate the caliper (piston) too, might make a difference, your current pads may be sticking & generating excess heat.
Tires are an interesting thing to ponder on, The lighter bikes do not heat the tires up. I checked the rubber on the DT last time out after 15 minutes or so of 8's & the tires were cold, they are dual purpose too so the blocks are moving.
I'm a firm believer in sport/touring tires for the road and probably for gymkhana, they are designed to grip at lower temperatures and grip from cold, the stickier the tire the more heat it needs to work. Heat = speed/friction.
Remind again how far your cones are apart, 8 mtrs?
Old 09-14-2012, 08:48 PM   #399
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

I'll look into rear brakes more closely. My Triumph was squeaking like crazy as well.

Cones are 12 meters apart, with 3 meters between first cone and the Start/Stop cones.

As far as the tires warming up... I dunno. I've read somewhere that the best way to warm up tires on a bike, is not necessarily figure 8's or weaving, but hard acceleration and hard braking. I guess next thing I'll bring with me is an infrared thermometer to see what warms them up faster.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:55 PM   #400
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I'll look into rear brakes more closely. My Triumph was squeaking like crazy as well.

Cones are 12 meters apart, with 3 meters between first cone and the Start/Stop cones.

As far as the tires warming up... I dunno. I've read somewhere that the best way to warm up tires on a bike, is not necessarily figure 8's or weaving, but hard acceleration and hard braking. I guess next thing I'll bring with me is an infrared thermometer to see what warms them up faster.
Your mad, stick yer hand on them.
Bare in mind that our tires are designed to work at road speeds which we barely attain, they cannot retain heat even if you do warm them up first. Track riders run a slightly lower pressure so that the extra flex in the tire creates more heat, probably the only thing we can do to generate heat. Not sure if it is an issue, though. The pros don't seem to worry about it.

I'm gonna time myself round 12 mtr cones next time out. I may or may not share the result..
Have fun.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:35 AM   #401
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

Have you thought of dot 5 silicon brake fluid. Ivevalways run motul 5.1 oil based brake fluid which is ment to be as good as dot 5

Old 09-15-2012, 10:19 AM   #402
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Yes, changing brake fluid right now. The old one is pretty murky, which probably means its braking down, and I don't even know what kind of liquid it is. Hopefully this will help with the boiling.
I have DOT4 racing grade, whatever that means. DOT5 needs a whole system flush before using it, fluid in my Triumph, but I still manage to boil it, not as quickly as I do on DRZ, but still.

Vulfy screwed with this post 09-15-2012 at 10:25 AM
Old 09-15-2012, 05:02 PM   #403
dredman
Dirt Disciple

Oddometer: 109
Vulfy, I may be confusing you with someone else, but have you not been complaining about fade for sometime?

My advice:
- get 3-10 recruits to ride with you
- get some timing gear (stopwatch if nothing else)
- take a break while you watch your buds ride
- enjoy the sport 10x as much with your new recruits

Result - cold, cool brakes, ready to go

Breaks=Brakes

keep the vids coming
dredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:00 PM   #404
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Heh. Yes, brake fading is one of the biggest problems I'm experiencing while practicing for Gymkhana.

As far as riding buddies go, it is all solo for me this season. I'm not an organizer, so no events to draw in people from outside. And none of my friends ride, apart from one. Hopefully he'll be joining me in Gymkhana by the end of this season, once he is sorted with his own bikes.

Its a sad, lonely world out there

Did have a nice chat with a bicyclist the other day, while actually waiting for my brakes to cool off, LOL
Old 09-15-2012, 06:03 PM   #405
dredman
Dirt Disciple

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
. And none of my friends ride, apart from one.
Its a sad, lonely world out there
You need some new friends bro - ones that have their priorities straight

Nothing quite like hanging with 50 dudes(ettes) that have the same vibe as you, and having a blast in an afternoon, then talking about it all evening

dredman screwed with this post 09-15-2012 at 06:05 PM Reason: had more stuff to say
dredman is offline   Reply With Quote