User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2012, 02:56 AM   #16
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner

Oddometer: 1,755
No the sammich box is going, its very sad, I can screw the amps mount straight to the dashboard but I will need to figure out a mount for the UHF, I want to upgrade the UHF to a car type unit but can't afford it for a while.
Andy

http://www.jet-metal.com
El Ponkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:38 PM   #17
icebergstu OP
Husqvarna Tragic

Oddometer: 465
Well I did my first ride with the Garmin Montana 650t on the weekend and what a waste of time even taking it on the bike.

The first little bump it went over, it just turned off and re-started again.

This went on for the first 5klm of riding so I turned it off and left it off.

Obviously was not ment for dirt bike riding...maybe smooth dirt roads only. I have not done anything to the unit besides mounting it. I have not modified the battery or anything.

Heres the vid.

icebergstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:28 AM   #18
boneman660
Try Hard

Oddometer: 356
Bluhduh easy fix...

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebergstu View Post
Well I did my first ride with the Garmin Montana 650t on the weekend and what a waste of time even taking it on the bike.

The first little bump it went over, it just turned off and re-started again.

This went on for the first 5klm of riding so I turned it off and left it off.

Obviously was not ment for dirt bike riding...maybe smooth dirt roads only. I have not done anything to the unit besides mounting it. I have not modified the battery or anything.

Heres the vid.

I had the same problem with mine. my solution was to place 4 strips of insulation tape on the back of the battery to hold the connections tight.

Some blokes are using a foam ear plug instead. That will fix it. Boneman
Old 09-10-2012, 03:05 AM   #19
icebergstu OP
Husqvarna Tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneman660 View Post
I had the same problem with mine. my solution was to place 4 strips of insulation tape on the back of the battery to hold the connections tight.

Some blokes are using a foam ear plug instead. That will fix it. Boneman
So do you put the ear plug/insulation tape on the battery and close the lid so that it pushes the battery into place?

Does this effect the moisture seals?

Stu

Old 09-10-2012, 05:00 AM   #20
boneman660
Try Hard

Question Solution from GPSOz

Mate, I called the retailer (GPSOz) & told them about the problem. The guy I was talking to must have looked it up on his computer via the Garmin Knowledge Base. It was a known problem with the Montana, and he suggested that I connect up the power cable (which I still haven't done) or put some tape on the battery.

The seal didn't seem affected, and there has been no dust ingress into the battery compartment. Can't offer any advice on the earplug solution...

Tape solution solved the shorting out problem.

Good luck..
Old 09-11-2012, 02:12 PM   #21
sierra_victor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Mate, I called the retailer (GPSOz) & told them about the problem. The guy I was talking to must have looked it up on his computer via the Garmin Knowledge Base. It was a known problem with the Montana, and he suggested that I connect up the power cable (which I still haven't done) or put some tape on the battery.

The seal didn't seem affected, and there has been no dust ingress into the battery compartment. Can't offer any advice on the earplug solution...

Tape solution solved the shorting out problem.

Good luck..
This will work..

Salty.

sierra_victor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:13 PM   #22
icebergstu OP
Husqvarna Tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra_victor View Post
This will work..

Salty.

Thanks for the photo.

Has anyone used the AA batteries to power the unit yet? What was the battery life like?

Stu

Old 09-13-2012, 08:25 PM   #23
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner

Got City Navigator mapping so now I have set it up the way I wanted so it is really two machines in one replacing my old Aldi road GPS and Garmin 60 CSX.
I have set up two profiles:

The bike one opens up Oz Topo mapping and the menu has shortcuts to tracks, track manager, compass, tripmeter (with big symbols) and Profile change.
The car one opens up City Navigator mapping in the Nuvi display mode with Menu shortcuts to Where to, mark waypoint, trip meter (standard) and Profile change.

Allows me to navigate on tarmac to the start of a ride in Car profile and then select profile change to Bike profile, select a track file and hit the dirt.

This thing rocks.
Andy

Old 09-14-2012, 04:45 AM   #24
icebergstu OP
Husqvarna Tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ponkin View Post
Got City Navigator mapping so now I have set it up the way I wanted so it is really two machines in one replacing my old Aldi road GPS and Garmin 60 CSX.
I have set up two profiles:

The bike one opens up Oz Topo mapping and the menu has shortcuts to tracks, track manager, compass, tripmeter (with big symbols) and Profile change.
The car one opens up City Navigator mapping in the Nuvi display mode with Menu shortcuts to Where to, mark waypoint, trip meter (standard) and Profile change.

Allows me to navigate on tarmac to the start of a ride in Car profile and then select profile change to Bike profile, select a track file and hit the dirt.

This thing rocks.
Andy
Yeah this is what I have done too.

I have been using a Nuvi for the last few years for the car so know the things back the front. Great to just switch over to (ADV) as I call it and start layin down tracks.

The profliles are excellent!!!

Stu

Old 09-15-2012, 01:55 PM   #25
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner

All fitted now and hard wired to a switched supply, its great just having it fire up with the bike and shutdown when you turn off the bike, First test ride today.

Andy

Old 09-15-2012, 07:33 PM   #26
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ponkin View Post
Don't forget to create shortcuts to those profiles then you can just hit the shortcut, and voila, it's a whole different gps! I have multiple shortcuts to a profile for each mapset, making it easy to switch from a Nuvi like automotive setup to a Topo map with datafields, to an OSM profile, to a Geocaching profile. It's a great gps!
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:24 AM   #27
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner

Already set up the profile change shortcuts and yes it is superb changing everything on the fly, mapset and display frikken awesome. Went bush riding today and it didn't miss a beat,
Andy

Old 10-14-2012, 05:53 PM   #28
boneman660
Try Hard

Pissed Shorting out....

Went for a ride to Noosa North Shore on the weekend. Thanks Andy for the gpx files.

Was using the replacement 650t on it's first proper trip. Ended up having to use the tape & earplug trick on the way up to stop it switching off. As we were camping I was unable to recharge it, so switched to AAs on the way home. That's the first time I've had to do that. BUT, it still switched itself off at seemingly random times on the AAs.

Do I have another faulty unit? Do I need to use padding (earplugs) for the AAs as well?

Does hardwiring it in solve the switching off problems?

I really want to like the Montana, when it's working it's great but when it switches itself off in the bush it's a pain in the arse.

Appreciate your help.

Boneman
Old 10-14-2012, 07:31 PM   #29
stevepsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Quote:
Went for a ride to Noosa North Shore on the weekend. Thanks Andy for the gpx files.

Was using the replacement 650t on it's first proper trip. Ended up having to use the tape & earplug trick on the way up to stop it switching off. As we were camping I was unable to recharge it, so switched to AAs on the way home. That's the first time I've had to do that. BUT, it still switched itself off at seemingly random times on the AAs.

Do I have another faulty unit? Do I need to use padding (earplugs) for the AAs as well?

Does hardwiring it in solve the switching off problems?

I really want to like the Montana, when it's working it's great but when it switches itself off in the bush it's a pain in the arse.

Appreciate your help.

Boneman
Yep you need the earplug trick for either battery......even when using it hardwired.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:12 AM   #30
boneman660
Try Hard

Question OK then

Thanks Steve,

So even when I get the unit hardwired in, it will still need the earplugs in the battery compartment?

If that will stop the switching off, that's cool!

There is no chance of the water tightness of the unit being compromised? Affecting Garmin warranty?