Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2012, 08:08 PM   #16
nachtflug OP
infidel

Oddometer: 46,001
but I wasn't there to kick tires. I found a guy who seemed to know where I could "find some drama to photograph" my words not his.

destiny must have brought me to him because he was spot on.

walk in this direction. cross the track. then you'll come to the track again at the 6 mile marker. follow it till it turns left and the pro part of the course will turn right. they went through there with a brush hog. follow it till you get to the railroad tracks. follow the tracks, and then you'll get to the stream. the pro's will be in the stream.

so I did.

nice trail.

nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:10 PM   #17
nachtflug OP
infidel

nicer still.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:15 PM   #18
nachtflug OP
infidel

someone observed that the "stream" might have been an old canal but google sattelite shows what looks to be this stream and you can also clearly see the old abandoned rail track. very cool. right here though it looked like a purpose built canal as the track and water and perfectly parallel. the rail is right up the bank on the left.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:23 PM   #19
nachtflug OP
infidel

this is the point where the afternoon Pro and A riders would exit the water. looking back down stream you see the large log which to get around they had no choice but to leave the safety of the side of the bank which was still relatively dry, as opposed to being in the water, but once past that log they had no choice (and it's further than it looks) but to ride in the water. not scary deep but as the pictures will show, freaking deep enough. folks, there were freaking RAILROAD TIES in that water. this was going to be good...

Old 09-17-2012, 08:57 PM   #20
nachtflug OP
infidel

once this aquatic inspection was completed I headed inland to the spot I would call home for the next few hours. not that it was miles but I was not about to walk all the way back to civilization, food, the main MX track and then come all the way back.

so home sweet home for the next few hours. among other things, the 7 mile marker and a transponder receiving station.

this is the view the 10 o'clock group of riders would face when they left the railbed they would run in lieu of the water. a few things of note. they could obviously go either side of the big tree, but the uprooted tree to the right of the canopy with the red arrow provided a natural safe haven. I knew coming up that grade if anyone lost it they wouldn't want to go into the right as the uprooted tree was going to win any such battle so that is where I spent the majority of the amateur/non pro A rider run. every last one of them had to come right by me. ducks on a pond. not the most exotic of viewpoints but it worked for me. the roots would keep things interesting enough from time to time.

I haven't forgotten everything about woods riding.

do they still make Trelleborgs?

Old 09-17-2012, 09:01 PM   #21
nachtflug OP
infidel

plus there was a cocktail waitress there.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:03 AM   #22
Spark Plug
Low on compression

Oddometer: 1,333
Old 09-18-2012, 08:17 AM   #23
Tbone
off-ramp slayer

Oddometer: 4,262
this outta be good!
Tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:59 PM   #24
Dakar Dan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post

do they still make Trelleborgs?
I think they are now owned by Mitas. Not sure if there is still a factory in Sweden. Try Troy Safari Carpenter.

When does the race start???
Old 09-19-2012, 12:14 AM   #25
Aussie66
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 786
Hey guys,

I work for Trelleborg, a different division but all the moulds and as far as i know and possibly the compound technology was sold to the Czech company (MITAS).

Bit of a shame but such is life.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:27 PM   #26
nachtflug OP
infidel

ok...I wasn't REALLY in the market for Trelleborgs but I do appreciate the concern.

lets see. got side tracked tuesday night making plans for wednesday night.

got side tracked wednesday night...

and was out like a light last night by 9pm...

where were we?
Old 09-21-2012, 07:40 PM   #27
nachtflug OP
infidel

I remember...I remember the alamo!

before the first race started at what was now to be noon, I did take a little bit more of a walk past the 7 mile transponder tent. there was a hill...so up it I went

not exactly Erzberg but a hill none the less and a nice example of upstate soil.

the hill dumped the riders into this. if this isn't an example of why this part of the state is the perfect storm for good riding I don't know what is. from this position Rt 8 is directly behind me and the pro MX track is to the right, maybe 1/2 mile away?

when we were in our teens in the 70's two friends of ours from separate families both moved "upstate" to this type of land, both to dairy farm. this truly is nirvana when the weather is right and it was for GNCC.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:45 PM   #28
nachtflug OP
infidel

I poked back around in the woods some more (I need to shoot more enduro/CC) and waited for the now very soon start of the first "race" which would be the 2 hour run of lemming who were going to get 7-8 laps on part of the pro MX track. riding this event should be a no brainer if you can swing it just for that chance. the turn out was huge for good reason.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:47 PM   #29
nachtflug OP
infidel

the last photo op before the start was some of the pro KTM riders had caught wind of the water and came out to preview the section. I could be wrong but I believe this is Charlie Mullins.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:50 PM   #30
nachtflug OP
infidel

so I went back to the hill to shoot and then it started. all of a sudden, bikes started coming by and they just....never....stopped coming by!

it was so cool it really was. not the best picture but my first glimpse of the conga line of XC's, YZ's WR's, CR's, EXC's, RM's, FE's, KXF's etc etc.