TomN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,503
Cool
Old 10-03-2012, 03:54 PM   #17
Krasniewski OP
I don't ride much.

Oddometer: 1,145
Just a quick update - got an e-mail from Ryan at Ryca today regarding the kit. A public thanks to him for always answering my questions so quickly.

All the tooling is done, they're just finishing up the 'how to' videos and starting production, so probably another week or two if all goes well. Timing is good for me - I should be home this weekend!
Krasniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:59 PM   #18
JagLite
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,006
Thumb Scrambler

Are they developing folding pegs for the tracker and the scrambler do you know?
Are you planning to use their odd foot decompression actuator?
It looks goofy on the cafe bike and really weird on the tracker/scrambler bikes.
Just my view perhaps.
James
JagLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:39 AM   #19
Bambi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 680
Hi there,
concerning this 'Are you planning to use their odd foot decompression actuator?': I was a bit surprised as I first saw it on the cafe racer. But it should be easy to replace it by a handle-bar-lever and a bowden-cable, isn't it?
Btw, the bike looks really nice compared to all those modern plastic covered stream-liners ... have fun with your build and keep us informed!
Kind regards, Bambi ... one from the past ...
Old 10-06-2012, 08:01 AM   #20
Krasniewski OP
I don't ride much.

Hey all...

I don't remember the details, but I do know that the foot decomp was one of the biggest complaints on the kit, and they were working on a handlebar-mounted fix. I haven't looked into the status of the option yet - but good call - I'll have to figure out all the cost/options when the kits are ready to ship. I haven't even thought about folding pegs...
Old 10-14-2012, 08:11 AM   #21
Krasniewski OP
I don't ride much.

Got a little more done yesterday. Busted out the frame cutting guide, which calls for cutting some of the brackets, tank holders, etc. off to size, as well as the seat posts. The seat post measurements didn't really look right to me, so I'm gonna hold off on those until I get the parts in. There are Youtube vids for all the mods out there, maybe I'll watch the vid and QA myself that way too.

Before:

After:

One stock, one cut:

Seat posts I can't quite get myself to cut:

Cleaned up the cuts and painted afterwards.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:48 PM   #22
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 1,052
Never been a fan of the Savage in stock form, not a fan of "cruiser" style bikes in general. But that conversion kit to a scrambler really looks great. Looks like a blast to cruise back roads and fire roads.

I am in on one of these.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:32 AM   #23
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,808
While I am not exactly a fan of the cruiser look I became a fan of cruisers a long time ago when I found out how comfortable they were. I bought a '93 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 new, and put just over 80,000 miles on it before selling it. About a year later, missing the bike, I bought another new Vulcan 750, an '02 model, and currently have over 70,000 miles on it. These bikes are super comfortable, have plenty of power for one up touring, are almost maintenance free, and very reliable. It is the cruiser ergonomics that make them so comfortable. A big wide plush seat, high pullback bars, and forward mounted pegs. Add a rider backrest, and you have a recliner on wheels. I have done 2 SS1000s on the Vulcan 750 without pain, just a little minor discomfort from sitting in the same position for so long. Cruisers are far more comfortable than crotch rockets or dual sport bikes.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:42 PM   #24
sjc56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,245
For me it's bikes like my Uly which are comfortable, a cruiser ergos just don't work for me, puts all the weight on my tail bone and with my feet out front I just don't feel like I'm in control of the bike. Thats why it's great there are so many different bikes to chose from.
I really like the savage scrambler, If I ever come into one cheap I wouldn't mine doing this.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:23 PM   #25
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Cruisers are far more comfortable than crotch rockets or dual sport bikes.
So are Buicks
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:20 PM   #26
Krasniewski OP
I don't ride much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjc56 View Post
For me it's bikes like my Uly which are comfortable, a cruiser ergos just don't work for me, puts all the weight on my tail bone and with my feet out front I just don't feel like I'm in control of the bike. .
Well said. I don't mind riding cruisers, but I've found ADV style bikes to be the best in terms of comfort for me.

The scrambler should be fun for back roads - I imagine it's a bit small for the long days. I can't imagine touring on the Savage in stock form though. Not that you can't, just wouldn't my first tool of choice.

Anyday for that kit now...
Old 10-19-2012, 05:04 PM   #27
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 1,052
Jerry,
I have had a few "cruiser" bikes and they always killed my back and butt. Bad angle on my low back and tailbone as others have stated I prefer a more upright riding position of a GS/GSA or my RT.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:53 PM   #28
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,808
The "upright" riding position is what I like about cruisers. Your entire weight is supported by the seat. Unlike a sportbike, you are not all hunched over, with your knees bent double, your neck stretched as far as it will go so you can see where you are going, and most of your upper body weight supported by your arms and shoulders. A riders backrest on a cruiser makes a huge difference and gives you a lot of back support. While I don't suspect the Savage 650 would make a good touring bike, it would work a lot better for me than any type of sport bike. Dual sport bikes like the KLR don't have an uncomfortable riding position, their main problem is the narrow, hard as a rock seat. I traded an '01 KLR650 I had bought new for another (I've had 2) new Vulcan 750 after only one year. I found the KLR to be to big and heavy to be fun off road, and the Vulcan to be much more comfortable on the road. I wound up with an XT225 for off road. It also has a comfortable layout, but again the seat is what would stop me from trying to ride long distances on it. I remember back in the late '70s/early '80s when dual sport bikes like the Honda XL500 had much better seats. Today looks are what counts, and they try to make dual sport seats look like MX seats, not thinking I guess that the seat is something you only bump into occasionally on an MX bike.

Somehow a Buick just doesn't sound like fun....
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:10 PM   #29
Krasniewski OP
I don't ride much.

Quote:
Dual sport bikes like the KLR don't have an uncomfortable riding position, their main problem is the narrow, hard as a rock seat.
KLR is about as cheap of an 'adventure' (not off-road) bike as you can get, so everything sucks, including the seat. I put a Sargent seat on mine, along with a few other things, of course.

I had a GSA that had a pretty good seat once. I will say that the worst seat I ever experienced was on my past Sportster... that was absolutely unbearable. I pulled the cover and shaved it down a bit around the tailbone and it was basically fine after that. I hope the seat for the Ryca isn't too bad.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:50 PM   #30
RedRaptor22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
The "upright" riding position is what I like about cruisers. Your entire weight is supported by the seat. Unlike a sportbike, you are not all hunched over, with your knees bent double, your neck stretched as far as it will go so you can see where you are going, and most of your upper body weight supported by your arms and shoulders.

Somehow a Buick just doesn't sound like fun....

Sounds like you were doing it completely horribly wrong, there should never be weight on your arms and shoulders and your neck should be inline with the rest of your spine for the most part, on a sport bike your legs are what carry your weight, nothing else.

As for dualsport bikes they are just like anything else, suck horribly untill you make them fit you and luckily seats are cheap, as are bars.

I've owned a royal star venture which was about the couchiest road couch I've ever had the displeasure of sitting on, put about two hundred miles on it before I could take it no longer, my back was killing me, even worse with my uncles soft tail, the sport touring bikes like the FJR and ST1300 are what I would take for distance as they have midset controls to relieve all that pressure from my spine.

Heck I'd probably take my old sportbike over anything else though, I could go well over ten hours on my Sv with it's rearsets and low clip-ons with not a single ache or pain.

Even my XR650l gives me weird pains in my hips for some reason.

Basically what I guess I'm saying, cruisers may work best for you, but to some of us they just suck for comfort.
RedRaptor22 is offline   Reply With Quote