Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2012, 09:16 AM   #11596
twinie
traveler

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by LethPhaos View Post
nice pics :) did they win?
there were only 7 riders, i took 3rd place with 58 seconds, and my friends took 4th and 5th with 59 and 1:01.

the guy who won did 53 seconds, and on second place with 55 seconds came jorge soriano, the spanish guy who won this year's GSA DAYS in spain, so we did okei =)
Old 09-12-2012, 09:24 AM   #11597
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by LethPhaos View Post
why not post them here, so we can all learn?

http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/africa-...tormforce.html

wont let me post pics here for some reason anymore
Old 09-13-2012, 12:00 PM   #11598
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

think left decal not at right angle

have 4 brackets make up and still waiting on sensors arrive then bike done

dash before painting

dry layup now tonight

Old 09-17-2012, 04:15 AM   #11599
Markus_w
n00b

Oddometer: 6
AQ Lift kit/underbody kit and Motobau lower pegs for tall rider

Hi all,
Due to my height (195cm) I wish to increase seatheight and legroom with installing AQ front and rear underbody heightening/lift kit and Motobau lower footpegs.
My questions are as follows:

1. When installing the lift kit will the standard cables do it or do I need to replace them with longer cables? (brakes/speedometer etc)

2. With Motobau lower footpegs do I need to modify brake lever to get it in correct height for the lower pegs?
I have searched through the forum without finding answers to my question and I have previously been in contact with AQ without receiving respond hence why I'm asking here.

Thanks in advance,

Br Markus_w
Markus_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:35 AM   #11600
VTT
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus_w View Post
Hi all,
Due to my height (195cm) I wish to increase seatheight and legroom with installing AQ front and rear underbody heightening/lift kit and Motobau lower footpegs.
My questions are as follows:

1. When installing the lift kit will the standard cables do it or do I need to replace them with longer cables? (brakes/speedometer etc)

2. With Motobau lower footpegs do I need to modify brake lever to get it in correct height for the lower pegs?
I have searched through the forum without finding answers to my question and I have previously been in contact with AQ without receiving respond hence why I'm asking here.

Thanks in advance,

Br Markus_w
Hi Markus

you lift the suspension for how much?
Doing so I would recommend anyhow to replace breaklines with aftermarket steel-flex which you get in any lenght.
I have some Spiegler (not on market anymore) with additional 2cm for my bar raiser.

Taking the AQ Front (check for the polish one which might be an option) you replace the speedo anyway, don`t you? Otherwise, I assume from my knowledge, you need to replace the drive cable for the speedo. It has only some reserver orginally.
austrian http://www.ebay.de/itm/Ralley-Light-...item564a32a918
polish link i did not get yet but german ebay gives an email owiewki(at)gmail.com

Motobau pegsyou can use with the original breakgear hence you need to adjust position of the lever.
http://www.africatwin.de/phpbb_x/vie...hlight=motobau

If you do understand german or give it a chance to understand a german writting english you might check the german board. We do all kind of changes and for sure you get details on Motobau pegs www africatwin de .

regards
Heiner

VTT screwed with this post 09-17-2012 at 04:48 AM Reason: add email addy
VTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:17 AM   #11601
The Apostle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
I am trying to send an Africa from Athens-Greece to Miami. But until now everything seems to expensive and complicated. Has any one done the same??? And how ?? Any ideas ???
The Apostle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:46 AM   #11602
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,863
Quote:
With Motobau lower footpegs do I need to modify brake lever to get it in correct height for the lower pegs?
On the RD03 and 04, you should be able to remove the brake master cylinder arm on the inside of the frame tubes from the splines on the brake pedal and rotate the pedal downward a few notches. Dunno specifically for the RD07 but I'd assume it's about the same
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:21 AM   #11603
Africa_Twin
Africa Twiner

Oddometer: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
On the RD03 and 04, you should be able to remove the brake master cylinder arm on the inside of the frame tubes from the splines on the brake pedal and rotate the pedal downward a few notches. Dunno specifically for the RD07 but I'd assume it's about the same
It is! I've done exactly that to my RD07a.

There is a small rubber dust cover on the pedal, just be carefull not to pinch that when re-inserting the pedal after realignment.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:05 AM   #11604
ujeni
just doesn't get it

Oddometer: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Apostle View Post
I am trying to send an Africa from Athens-Greece to Miami. But until now everything seems to expensive and complicated. Has any one done the same??? And how ?? Any ideas ???
It can be done. Thats how we have any of them over here!

Though there may be many ways, I am only aware of three ways that worked. I have done one of them twice, am attempting the second and won't try the third. Here they are:

1. The Non-US Citizen route

If you are bringing it over here as a tourist, then you can simply ship it over here with the proper paperwork, get it insured and drive it around in the states. At this point, you can sell it to a US citizen. The US citizen will need to jump through some hoops to get it properly registered here in the states, but it can be done. Thats how I got my RD07 and RD07a; they were brought over by German tourists and I eventually bought them. Getting them registered is a task that Donna Leek here in California has done a few times now. You can contact here here: pro [dot] reg [dot] service [at] gmail [dot] com

2. The US Citizen route

With the proper paperwork, you can import an Africa Twin into the United States. I am aware of one other guy who did this successfully. I am in the midst of doing this myself. Here's how it works...you have the bike shipped to the states with all of its papers and bill of sale. You will also need an official document from Honda that verify's its age. You will need the bike to be more than 21 years old to get around EPA paperwork. Otherwise, the EPA will not let it out of customs. The best way to do all of this is with a Customs Special Agent. You can hire them in any town that has an international port. So, in conclusion, this route is only proven with bikes that are 21 years or older. An RD07 or an RD07a won't work.

3. In Parts

I have read of a few people who have dismantled their bikes and shipped them over in separate pieces. They then reassemble the bike and get it registered in the states. I know the least about this approach. Perhaps others can chime in if they have had success with it.
ujeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:40 AM   #11605
The Apostle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ujeni View Post
It can be done. Thats how we have any of them over here!

Though there may be many ways, I am only aware of three ways that worked. I have done one of them twice, am attempting the second and won't try the third. Here they are:

1. The Non-US Citizen route

If you are bringing it over here as a tourist, then you can simply ship it over here with the proper paperwork, get it insured and drive it around in the states. At this point, you can sell it to a US citizen. The US citizen will need to jump through some hoops to get it properly registered here in the states, but it can be done. Thats how I got my RD07 and RD07a; they were brought over by German tourists and I eventually bought them. Getting them registered is a task that Donna Leek here in California has done a few times now. You can contact here here: pro [dot] reg [dot] service [at] gmail [dot] com

2. The US Citizen route

With the proper paperwork, you can import an Africa Twin into the United States. I am aware of one other guy who did this successfully. I am in the midst of doing this myself. Here's how it works...you have the bike shipped to the states with all of its papers and bill of sale. You will also need an official document from Honda that verify's its age. You will need the bike to be more than 21 years old to get around EPA paperwork. Otherwise, the EPA will not let it out of customs. The best way to do all of this is with a Customs Special Agent. You can hire them in any town that has an international port. So, in conclusion, this route is only proven with bikes that are 21 years or older. An RD07 or an RD07a won't work.

3. In Parts

I have read of a few people who have dismantled their bikes and shipped them over in separate pieces. They then reassemble the bike and get it registered in the states. I know the least about this approach. Perhaps others can chime in if they have had success with it.
How much is the shipping cost?? I asked here in Athens and told me about 800-1000 dollars !!
Fortunately it's a RD04 1990-1992 model. I was to try the 3rd one but still in search.
The Apostle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:05 PM   #11606
ujeni
just doesn't get it

Oddometer: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Apostle View Post
How much is the shipping cost?? I asked here in Athens and told me about 800-1000 dollars !!
Fortunately it's a RD04 1990-1992 model. I was to try the 3rd one but still in search.
I am working on getting a RD03 shipped from Ireland to San Francisco. The quotes I have been given are...

By Sea: ~$1,200 (about six weeks travel time)
By Air: ~$1,800 (about a week travel time)

Keep in mind that I haven't done it yet...these are just the quotes that I received from a shipping company in Ireland.
ujeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:22 PM   #11607
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,863
Then you'll want to talk to Donna Leek in Grass Valley. She's a DMV guru who can help you get it registered in our wonderful state. She did the work on my recent DR800 purchase and said she's dont ATs before.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:31 AM   #11608
vor-werk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Hi Folks,

Rothmans NXR Replika Kit for RD04 for sale!

Pics: https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=45011...rive&sc=Photos

Price: tbd

Cheers,
V-W
vor-werk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:49 AM   #11609
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

need double check this

the front brake master cylinder for the twin disk bikes,

12.7mm piston is it?
Old 09-19-2012, 06:27 AM   #11610
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

i have seen pics of either an africa twin or transalp with ktm 4 pot caliper fitted.

anyone else remember this just i cant find it again