Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2012, 02:25 AM   #31
thunderkat59
Cooter on a scooter

Oddometer: 1,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertt View Post
OK, so like I said - the only way for me to even get to a 35 mph road is to first travel on a 45 mph road for a couple of miles. If I get pulled over on a 45 mph road on a 50 cc scooter I guess I get a ticket under this proposal even though there is no other way to get to the 35 mph road?

Well, if I have to get a scooter that needs to be registered, plated and inspected each year and which I can't park anywhere I want (sidewalk, bike rack like a 50cc) then there is absolutely no reason for me to get one. Might as well continue to ride downtown on my 1985 Honda Nighthawk 650 with an antique plate on it, which makes it exempt from paying registration fees and having to get it inspected every year. I was really considering a scooter... but it does not make sense based on a lot of comments in this thread... oh well.
Get a small frame 125 and take the plate with you when you park it ?
Velcro ?

Here, it strongly suggested 50cc bikes attach a hi-vis flag to the back, so the 125 people put the flag on instead of the tag.

I'd get one. Unles you are doing something egregiously wrong, or your state does constant dui-liquor cycler checks, you wont incur the attention of anyone, really.
thunderkat59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:13 AM   #32
buickid
Lets ride!

Oddometer: 310
The Yamaha Zuma is a solid scoot with a great aftermarket. A 70cc kit can get you mooooving!
Old 09-14-2012, 05:06 PM   #33
Forde
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
get a 2t 50cc and whack a 70 kit on. the law will never notice. also there are some aftermarket exhausts available from leo vince, gianelli, etc that are higher performing but look stock.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:44 AM   #34
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Get a small frame 125 and take the plate with you when you park it ?
Velcro ?

Here, it strongly suggested 50cc bikes attach a hi-vis flag to the back, so the 125 people put the flag on instead of the tag.

I'd get one. Unles you are doing something egregiously wrong, or your state does constant dui-liquor cycler checks, you wont incur the attention of anyone, really.
FYI, not all states have DUI cycles and some require a full motorcycle license, plating and insurance for any size scooter or motorcycle.

In both Texas and Colorado you go over 35 on a 50cc and they will ask you for your motorcycle license. In Colorado you can ride a 50 on a car license but you can't legally go 50mph on one.

In Texas you need either a moped license (M2) for a 50cc which has a statutory restriction to 30mph (rev limiter installed, removing it disqualifies the scooter for a moped plate, ride without a plate and you will get pulled over) or a full motorcycle license whic covers everything and removes the speed restriction on a 50cc. Go faster and you can be pulled over even if on a real 50cc that is on the list of "approved" mopeds because that means the rev limiter has been removed. Show your motorcycle license, registration and insurance you go on your merry way assuming you weren't actually speeding. Failure to show any of them and its ticket time. We had two people in my MSF class who were riding without a valid motorcycle license. One had his bike impounded (he was also speeding) and it was up to the judge whether he got it back or not after completing all the requirements the judge imposed on him starting with an MSF and community service.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:25 AM   #35
lifer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertt View Post
OK, so like I said - the only way for me to even get to a 35 mph road is to first travel on a 45 mph road for a couple of miles. If I get pulled over on a 45 mph road on a 50 cc scooter I guess I get a ticket under this proposal even though there is no other way to get to the 35 mph road?

Well, if I have to get a scooter that needs to be registered, plated and inspected each year and which I can't park anywhere I want (sidewalk, bike rack like a 50cc) then there is absolutely no reason for me to get one. Might as well continue to ride downtown on my 1985 Honda Nighthawk 650 with an antique plate on it, which makes it exempt from paying registration fees and having to get it inspected every year. I was really considering a scooter... but it does not make sense based on a lot of comments in this thread... oh well.
I think people are getting a little carried away on this thread. True that it will be hard to find a 50 that will do 50 mph but I think you can find one that will do 42-45 mph if you look around. Look for a 2 stroke. It will have the aceleration to keep up with the carges. I have a 50 cc zuma and it will do 38 mph on flat ground with me on it. I am 250 lbs. Up steep hills I can only do 25 mph. So the point is a zuma will not do what you want. Some of the bikes I would look at would be the Kymco super 8 50 , the Super 9 50cc , and a Vento 50cc. All of these should be able to do 42-45 mph. I doubt very much that a cop will bother you on a 45 mph road on a 50 cc. Even the expressways have a minimum speed of 45 mph ( not that you can go on one) . The point is 45 mph is the max. speed If you were doing 40 mph on a 45 mph road you are not a big problem. If you ride bicycles around town you already know how to keep out of the way. Unless you love to tinker I would stay away from modifying it at all other than just deresticting it if neededl. The trade off you get is not worth the effort.

lifer screwed with this post 09-15-2012 at 06:50 AM
lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:02 AM   #36
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,803
There are no such things as "DUI cycles" in AZ. Someone who has lost their license because of a DUI is not even allowed to ride a motorized pedal bicycle, which does not require a drivers license, registration, or insurance here. But ANY type of motor vehicle is off limits to someone with a DUI and no license.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:04 AM   #37
LarryRickenbacker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
50cc? Depends on traffic speed

Howdy,

Define "traffic" and you'll have your answer about whether a 50cc bike can keep up. In congested urban settings, 50cc might be a sensible choice. Here in Shreveport, La., we have faster paced roads and 125/150cc are the minimum I'd accept. Good luck!
LarryRickenbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:45 AM   #38
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,559
genuine roughhouse 50 or buddy 50 should do the trick for traffic up to 40mph. meaning they are among the best scooters for getting to 40 and maintaining it under good conditions. and they have good acceleration along the small power band. for a 50

just have a dealer "derestrict" it. most do upon delivery, anyway. otherwise the scoot only goes 30mph. it should be included in prep its so easy and fast to do

all this is if you have a genuine dealer nearby, of course. but for $2000 new with a two year warranty its hard to go wrong. IF the scooter fits :)

Rough House keeping pace up ahead at 50mph. don't know of any mods were used

guy says gps at 49mph.its a good look at the scoot. he actually pushes the speedo past 50. or could if it went past 50 lol

Buddy 50

Old 09-15-2012, 12:27 PM   #39
lifer
Gnarly Adventurer

Just go get an sr 50 and be done with it. At least you will have what you need. I looked on craigs list around me and there were at least 8 for sale within 250 miles of me. It is definatly the cream of the crop 50cc available. In there forums they say they can reach 53 mph derestricted. If I had the need I would jump on it.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:05 PM   #40
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigalsmith101 View Post
http://www.motopeds.com/

Ride the bitch to work, park it on the side walk, and never think about license plates again.

--Alex
Ohlins had one of these at the BMW rally, with Ohlins suspension of course.

way cool. They make big bore kits,
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:00 AM   #41
BrianP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=3lBWGKS5Y4E

nearly 70!
BrianP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:55 AM   #42
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianP View Post
Probably kilometers, 70 would be 43.5 MPH.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:56 AM   #43
lifer
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianP View Post
That bike is not stock and if you look at the speedo. The outer set of numbers are KM not mph. 75km was the highest I saw and that is 46.5 mph with a scooter that is not stock. Not that great and I would not want a scooter that loud.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:05 PM   #44
thunderkat59
Cooter on a scooter

Oddometer: 1,198
ooOOO00oFff . . .
Trying to corner hard or stand on a bike with pedals is teh suck
thunderkat59 is offline   Reply With Quote