Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle Scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2012, 06:34 PM   #46
Domromer
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,086
Yeah its a pretty shitty scenario. I used to work at a bike shop and the sales game was awful. This shop didn't give a rats ass about return customers all they wanted was to get bikes out the door. The shop used to be run by motorcyclists then it was bought by a group of investors. It all went down hill from there. I actually went to a competitor when I bought my xrl, that's how shitty the prices were. I couldn't even get a good deal as an employee. The fees, other than tax and title are complete bullshit. It's all profit. This is why I won't buy a new bike. Maybe there are still good shops out there I've never been lucky enough to find one.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.

Domromer screwed with this post 09-18-2012 at 08:09 PM
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 02:47 PM   #47
Geezer99
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
the Silver Wing is an old-outdated design with small diameter tires and shakey handling. The frame and tire design does not match the engine perfomance, its not a well balanced and engineered scooter. Its great for back road short trips but bad for high speed highway and long distance touring adventures. To me it feels very unstable at high speeds where its unforgivable if you take away any small bit of concintration while riding,,, the SW requires deep concintration and skill to ride at high speeds,,,, I call it a "busy ride".
The problem with current SW Owners is they never did ride another maxi scooter so they have no idea that there are much better ones out there.
I have ridden them all ,the Burgman, Silver Wing and the Tmax,, and the Tmax (even if not as powerfull) is by far the winner.

I am not here to make anybody mad, just giving my honest

opinion
I have a Silver Wing (my 2nd; it's a 2013, the 1st was a 2002), and I have not experienced any of the complications you have mentioned. I have ridden both machines about 50K miles, and have nothing but good fortune with both. For me, it is not unstable at high speeds, nor shaky; yes, I must concentrate on riding but only because it is so comfortable.

Having said that, I, too, wish the wheels were bigger but that's about all.

About 2 months ago I rode from Marion, VA to Jacksonville, Fl 589 miles in one day on my new S.W., (75% on the Interstate), cruising at 75 & 80 mph, and had absolutely no complaints. Tired? Yes, very. But, not beaten up like I might have been on a motorcycle. No aches & pains next day.

Two days ago I rode to Daytona Beach to take a look at the new Yamaha T-Max 530 at Daytona Fun Machines, Inc. I think I would like one because it seems to be a "Sweet" machine, but I cannot stand flat footed while sitting on it. And the cost approaches $!!K plus tax.

Can you tell me anything about the earlier version (2010 or ??) of the T-Max? I know where there is a new one, and maybe I should consider it.

Your comments and suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks
Geezer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 04:37 PM   #48
Jarlaxle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,956
My biggest beef with the Silverwing is the single front brake.

Well...that, and the fact that so few for sale used have ABS.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:08 PM   #49
JerseyBiker
Living the life!

Oddometer: 2,637
Mine has ABS

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...4#post27096384
Old 06-29-2015, 04:42 AM   #50
creighta
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
If you buy one you will find that you will have to take the longest route home from work in order to stay in the saddle just a bit longer.
This will make your wife mad causing you to go for a ride to get away. After several days of this you will notice that you get close to 60 mpg and will start to wonder how far you could ride nonstop. While pondering this question you will miss your exit on the way to work and end up riding your first iron butt instead of turning around.
When you get home you will find a note from your wife saying that your boss called, your fired, and she will mail you the divorce papers because you are jobless and never do anything but ride that damn bike.
This will cause you to embark on an epic ride which will become one of the most legendary ride reports on ADV.

That and the center stand is poorly placed which makes the bike feel heavy going on and off of it.
creighta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 05:10 AM   #51
MiniBike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Welcome Geezer. Good to have another Jacksonvillian on board.
MiniBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:12 AM   #52
Clampett
R. S. Burner

Oddometer: 227
I'm with the not much to dislike crowd. After I purchased my 2004, I rode from B'ham all the way to Ky line. 2 days that was supposed to be a 2 hour ride.
After returning home, I decided to go to Tuscaloosa and get some Dream Land BBQ. When I stopped that night, I was in Houston, Tx and still hadn't stopped to eat. I've owned 27 (about) bikes from mini bikes to 7 Gold Wings. I love bikes. The most F-U-N I've had was on the Silverwing. 2nd was Burgman 650. My current CTX1300 is 8 months old and about to surpass the Burgman I think.
Each rider is different and experiences the same bikes different. You will either hate it or love it. Sorry to post off topic

My google photos
Clampett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 04:59 PM   #53
Tony D P
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Left over new 2011 Silver Wing (FSC600 ABS) $7499
http://www.haydenhonda.com/new_vehic...31&pov=4118497
Tony D P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 03:35 PM   #54
Pilgrim21784
Pilgrim21784

Oddometer: 146
Geezer99: You ask about the earlier TMAXs. I owned an '09 for few years so can give you my drift. (Also owned a '12 SW a few years later before I downsized last year).

My take on the '09 TMAX; Very reliable, superb ride, very flickable and FAST. Had a problem with over-doing road speeds cause that sucker is smooth and your doing a whole bunch of MPHs without realizing it. It really handles the twisties as good as anything in my experience.

Two negatives (just for me), a tad too high seat at 31.5" for my 30" inseam - couldn't flatfoot; No ABS, ultimately a deal breaker for me. The regular brakes were excellent but I became an ABS convert. Doubt if you'd go wrong on one if it suits your druthers - they are fine scooters.

The new one appears just to be even better (oddly, the EU versions offer ABS, which is a pending mandate over there. But the US version apparently doesn't, perhaps I misread the US model page). In any event, its hard to argue that its not a premier maxi if it punches your buttons. Price-wise, I'd let them sit for a good while, I suspect deals will be available down the pike.

Comparing the TMAX and later model SWs, I wouldn't spend any money to switch. The performance differentials are fairly minor overall and the availability of ABS for some folks is a biggie. Your current '13 SW should keep you happy for a long time.

Pilgrim21784 screwed with this post 07-01-2015 at 04:27 PM
Pilgrim21784 is offline   Reply With Quote