ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2012, 02:20 PM   #511
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,968
i'm sure that KTM has calculated that reasonable # of vstrom users are going to upgrade to the regular 1190 not to mention 1200gs & S10 users.

& with that i'm sure hey see a certain # of 990adv owners moving towards he 1190 R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevodadevo View Post
That's not really a fair comparison. The 990R should morph into the new 1190R not the standard 1190.

Also, haters gotta hate.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:28 PM   #512
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
how about KTM going down to a higher-performance (and much lighter) 750-800cc v-twin bike? with he 990 heading up to compete in the 1200 ADV class it makes sense to go down and compete in the 800 class.

I'm still waiting to hear how someone can make a "much lighter" 750-800cc multi cylinder adventure bike than, say, the SE while maintaining the same amount of toughness, legality, and affordability. Show me how you can bring the SE in at 400 pounds (current dry weight is 437 iirc).
wpbarlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:29 PM   #513
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,464
Quote:
how about KTM going down to a higher-performance (and much lighter) 750-800cc v-twin bike? with he 990 heading up to compete in the 1200 ADV class it makes sense to go down and compete in the 800 class.
Bill, we agree. And with the engines getting progressively more powerful, we might get 950SE HP numbers out of an 800, too.
slowoldguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:31 PM   #514
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,374
Quote:
i'm sure that KTM has calculated that reasonable # of vstrom users are going to upgrade to the regular 1190 not to mention 1200gs & S10 users.
And is that a bad thing?

Quote:
& with that i'm sure hey see a certain # of 990adv owners moving towards he 1190 R.
You mean like providing an upgrade path for customers? I don't see a problem there either.
wpbarlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:37 PM   #515
jerdog53
Banned

Oddometer: 4,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
ok.. after all the smack talk I figured I better actually try and contribute something

here's a quick and dirty edit:

That works much better!
jerdog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:38 PM   #516
jerdog53
Banned

Oddometer: 4,687
Quote:
I was going to say now that we have some good pictures of the 1190 lets see some of the new 800!
jerdog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:41 PM   #517
AlphaTera
990rider

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
C'mon guys. Help a fella out.

I'm just passing through (and maybe there is another thread showing it) but somebody show me a pic of the new R bike wearing 21/18 shoes so I can concentrate on work. All of these R pics ain't wearing 21/18 (although the Conti site I linked does show 21/18 Tubeless is available). All these pics show the same wheels and tires, which I find highly suspect. An R coming standard with Trail Attacks? Are you kidding me? lol I just have a real hard time believing it.
Just by comparing the photos it looks like the wheels are larger diameter on the R (for sure the front but also the back). Look at the distance between the rear brake rotor and the wheel, clearly there is a greater distance on the R. Maybe someone with photoshop handy can create a gif with the two bikes pics resized and overlayed
Old 09-19-2012, 02:41 PM   #518
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
ok.. after all the smack talk I figured I better actually try and contribute something

here's a quick and dirty edit:

Much, much better. Hope y'all are right about the 21/18.

slowoldguy screwed with this post 09-19-2012 at 02:51 PM
Old 09-19-2012, 02:42 PM   #519
TheMuffinMan
Forest Ranger Magnet

Oddometer: 5,622
While I personally would prefer a lightweight 650 single adventure bike (~350 lbs) with a top notch suspension from KTM the greater market doesn't really buy those.

I'd be happy if they offered a 700-800 twin adventure model that is 75-100lbs lighter then the 990 to pair with their 1200 twin offering.
TheMuffinMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:43 PM   #520
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaTera View Post
Just by comparing the photos it looks like the wheels are larger diameter on the R (for sure the front but also the back). Look at the distance between the rear brake rotor and the wheel, clearly there is a greater distance on the R. Maybe someone with photoshop handy can create a gif with the two bikes pics resized and overlayed
My eyes are old. I'm just not seeing it. But you are right, an overlay would help me.

Edit: The whole idea that a R would come with Trail Attacks is creeping me out.

slowoldguy screwed with this post 09-19-2012 at 02:50 PM
Old 09-19-2012, 03:05 PM   #521
AlphaTera
990rider

Oddometer: 90
Old 09-19-2012, 03:22 PM   #522
990s
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Official info....
http://www.ktm.com/no/news-events/ne...l#.UFozjWthiK0
990s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:33 PM   #523
catalina38
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,614
Sounds pretty good, Hope the 990 stays as the midsize model.
KTM PRESENTERAR EN HELT NY ADVENTURE GENERATION!

published at 19.09.2012
The world premiere of two completely new motorcycles is being celebrated at the international motorcycle fair INTERMOT where KTM will present the 1190 Adventure und Adventure R.

The two completely newly developed models represent the Adventure Generation 2013 and herald the start of the pure new adventure as of February 2013. With KTM’s typical success ingredients: the very powerful two cylinder motor - light as a feather – high quality components – these two differently positioned, sports-oriented touring bikes have been created deploying a top-of-the-range, unique package of electronic assistance systems that will ensure that they rise to the top of the segment.

Whereas the 1190 Adventure, above all focused on use on asphalt (wide 19 and 17 inch tires) is especially for the pleasure of versatile road users, the Adventure R, in the best KTM tradition shows what is feasible from a sporting perspective and into the bargain invites you to undertake plenty of offroad action.

Also especially pleasing is that despite incomparably fine components and finishing, the new Adventure models are still oriented towards the price and weight of their popular predecessors.

The 1190 Adventure at a glance
- Highly developed LC8 V-two cylinder with double ignition, the latest Keihin motor management, electronic fuel injection with drive-by-wire and anti-hopping clutch
- Performance: 110 kW/150 hp, torque: 125 Nm, 15,000 km Inspection intervals, low fuel consumption
- 230 kg with a full tank
- Multilevel combined BOSCH-ABS, multilevel BOSCH Traction Control (MTC), multiple programmable electronic WP suspension (EDS)
- New innovation: Offroad modus for ABS and MTC!
- Very stable latticed tubular frame made of extremely rigid chrome- molybdenum- steel
- High quality suspension components from WP Suspension
- Tubeless road tires on wire spoke wheels with airtight rim – 120/70-19 front; 170/60-17 rear
- Adjustable footrests, seat height, handlebar position and windshield
- The very latest VDO combi instruments

The 1190 Adventure R at a glance
- Highly developed LC8 V-two cylinder with double ignition, the latest Keihin motor management, electronic fuel injection with drive-by-wire and anti-hopping clutch
- Performance: 110 kW/150 hp, torque: 125 Nm, 15,000 km inspection intervals, low fuel consumption
- 235 kg with a full tank
- Multilevel combined BOSCH-ABS and multilevel BOSCH traction control (MTC)
- New innovation: Offroad modus for ABS and MTC!
- Fully adjustable WP USD telescopic fork with separate rebound and compression damping
- Fully adjustable rear WP shock absorber
- Suitable for the asphalt, tubeless Enduro tires on wire spoke wheels with airtight rim -90/90-21 front; 150/60-18 rear
- Adjustable footrests, handlebar position and windshield
- The very latest VDO combi instruments

All the information about the new Adventure models in the INTERMOT Newsroom live from October 2 on www.ktm.com

Print KTM 1190 Adventure 2013 Orange

KTM 1190 Adventure 2013 Silver

KTM 1190 Adventure R 2013

Recommend page
To the top

KTM 990R 500EXC
catalina38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:38 PM   #524
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,668
Quote from website

Quote:
Originally Posted by 990s View Post
The two completely newly developed models represent the Adventure Generation 2013 and herald the start of the pure new adventure as of February 2013. With KTM’s typical success ingredients: the very powerful two cylinder motor - light as a feather – high quality components – these two differently positioned, sports-oriented touring bikes have been created deploying a top-of-the-range, unique package of electronic assistance systems that will ensure that they rise to the top of the segment.

Whereas the 1190 Adventure, above all focused on use on asphalt (wide 19 and 17 inch tires) is especially for the pleasure of versatile road users, the Adventure R, in the best KTM tradition shows what is feasible from a sporting perspective and into the bargain invites you to undertake plenty of offroad action.

Also especially pleasing is that despite incomparably fine components and finishing, the new Adventure models are still oriented towards the price and weight of their popular predecessors.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think they just stated their design intent very clearly.

I think I'll hold onto my 950 AdvS until US Highland gets their act together.......

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/20...ulsa-oklahoma/

http://www.highland.se/
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:05 PM   #525
jimmex
Guero con moto

Oddometer: 2,519
Hell yeah, 18" and 21" tubeless.
PAPA
SJTR
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote