Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.60 average. Display Modes
Old 09-18-2012, 01:50 PM   #736
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by discochris View Post
Anyone have any experience with Rye Ales?
I brewed Austin Homebrew's Rye Pale Ale kit about a year ago. Very good! I could email you the recipe if you want... PM me.

Sent from my fat thumbs on a small touch screen.

In short, adaptation is the precursor to growth and seeking out difficult, uncomfortable and challenging situations accelerates development, enriches our lives and provides us with the kind of awesome fucking memories that will sustain us until a final sleep rounds our little lives.
BLOG
fifthcircle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:06 PM   #737
Shunka
Supervision Required

Oddometer: 2,863
Hey guys, just started home brewing less than a year ago and bought me a kegerator last week. One quick question if I can intrude here for a second.

I think my regulator might be bad but I'm not sure. I can't seem to get the pressure gauge below about 18psi. My question that I cannot seem to find an answer to is this: When everything is turned off shouldn't the pressure regulator read 0psi? It will if I purge everything but as soon as I crack the top of the CO2 it jumps to about 20psi. Thanks in advance. PM me you need more info, I don't want to clog up this thread. Thanks!
Shunka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:49 PM   #738
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,688
You're not clogging anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shunka View Post
Hey guys, just started home brewing less than a year ago and bought me a kegerator last week. One quick question if I can intrude here for a second.

I think my regulator might be bad but I'm not sure. I can't seem to get the pressure gauge below about 18psi. My question that I cannot seem to find an answer to is this: When everything is turned off shouldn't the pressure regulator read 0psi? It will if I purge everything but as soon as I crack the top of the CO2 it jumps to about 20psi. Thanks in advance. PM me you need more info, I don't want to clog up this thread. Thanks!
It's funny that you can't turn it lower than 18psi. That is a problem. I keep my regulators around 12psi for keg beer and 5 for cask.

The regulator showing pressure pre-purge is normal. It's a closed system, so when you add gas, it doesn't really know that you turned it off. The pressure is still in the lines. That's why when you purge it drops to zero.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:14 PM   #739
Shunka
Supervision Required

Oddometer: 2,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
It's funny that you can't turn it lower than 18psi. That is a problem. I keep my regulators around 12psi for keg beer and 5 for cask.

The regulator showing pressure pre-purge is normal. It's a closed system, so when you add gas, it doesn't really know that you turned it off. The pressure is still in the lines. That's why when you purge it drops to zero.
Thanks for the response. I don't think anything is clogged because it does flow beer it's coming out quicker than I've ever seen one before and of course it's all foam.

Sounds like I should probably contact the store and see about a replacement regulator. I just wanted to make sure I was on the right track first.
Shunka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:05 PM   #740
discochris
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,126
My experience is that the regulators that come with commercial kegerators tend to be crap. I had one in my old house and replaced the regulator there, and did the same here after only about six months. I'd buy an aftermarket one. In hindsight, I should have just built a setup, but I have a fairly small space in the new house in which to put the fridge.
discochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:22 AM   #741
Prior
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
Saturday I brewed my first partial grain batch, Smashing Pumpkin Ale from Northern Brewer. I'd like to get started on building an all-grain setup for my next batches- anyone have a link to a good tutorial? I've found a number on the web, but was hoping for one that some of you have used and liked.

Also stopped by Dan's Brew Shed in Greensboro, NC yesterday- cool place, if you're local and haven't been there, stop by!
Prior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:06 PM   #742
tootal
Backroad traveler

Oddometer: 195
If you need to change regulators then get one with an adjustment knob. The ones with the screw means you need a screw driver or something to turn it. It makes it so much easier just you have the knob to turn. I still have the screw type and everytime I need to change pressure I kick myself!!

The difference between ignorance and stupidity is that you can fix ignorance... if you're not stupid!
tootal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:44 PM   #743
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,185
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/ind..._to_a_mash_tun

I used a square cooler I had sitting around, and toilet water supply line(stainless steel braid). Works great so far.

Sent from my fat thumbs on a small touch screen.

In short, adaptation is the precursor to growth and seeking out difficult, uncomfortable and challenging situations accelerates development, enriches our lives and provides us with the kind of awesome fucking memories that will sustain us until a final sleep rounds our little lives.
BLOG
fifthcircle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:17 PM   #744
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,550
So I just bottled a NB kit called "The Number 8". It is a dark Belgian similar to Rochefort 8.

I have read the reviews and they said what I found. At bottling it is quite hot. You can REALLY taste the alcohol and it is only about 7.9%.
I am sure it will mellow in the coming weeks.

My question is WHY? Why is it so forward and how does it mellow?

My wife asked, and I did not know the answer.....
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:11 PM   #745
discochris
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by tootal View Post
If you need to change regulators then get one with an adjustment knob. The ones with the screw means you need a screw driver or something to turn it. It makes it so much easier just you have the knob to turn. I still have the screw type and everytime I need to change pressure I kick myself!!
Mine is in a weird little room back behind the bar where the sump pump is (well, where it is NOW - there wasn't one when we moved in - long story) and the tap is on the back wall of the bar. I just keep a small screwdriver back there as well as a wrench to swap out the CO2 tank.
discochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:31 AM   #746
bergermeister
housin'

Oddometer: 1,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shunka View Post
Thanks for the response. I don't think anything is clogged because it does flow beer it's coming out quicker than I've ever seen one before and of course it's all foam.

Sounds like I should probably contact the store and see about a replacement regulator. I just wanted to make sure I was on the right track first.
I keep mine at 10-12 psi also and get perfect flow through about 5+ foot lines, so it definitely needs to be below 18.

I just upgraded recently to a new kegerator and regulator, and now have this one:

working well so far, and I like seeing how much is left in the co2 tank.

by the way, if you're dealing with o'shea's, I would look elsewhere for co2 refills. they keep it warm, and it doesn't seem to fill all the way. I was constantly refilling, and verified no leaks. after a refill at a welding gas supply, where they fill it at a freezing temp, it lasted much longer.

I'm also trying the while polypropylene lines in my new kegerator (ice maker lines). tough to get on the fitting, but seems to work well and no taste issues. anyone else try these?

I got pretty good at foam elimination, so let me know if you need any help as I'm nearby.
bergermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:44 AM   #747
goosecreek
a desk prop

Oddometer: 2,013
Man that is purddy I like the easy dial pressure adjuster.I have to use a screwdriver.
goosecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:45 AM   #748
goosecreek
a desk prop

Does anyone have check valves in there gas lines?
Old 09-21-2012, 10:48 AM   #749
bergermeister
housin'

Oddometer: 1,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by goosecreek View Post
Does anyone have check valves in there gas lines?
I believe that all couplers/taps have them built in.

see here: http://www.micromatic.com/beer-quest...s-aid-110.html

bergermeister screwed with this post 09-21-2012 at 10:49 AM Reason: added link
bergermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:58 AM   #750
goosecreek
a desk prop

Thanks for the link now to order a few of the shutoff valves with built in checks

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: