User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2012, 09:20 PM   #1
RiverRatRider13 OP
Motorcycle Chum

Oddometer: 335
Risers

I guess this is a question for any taller guys. Do any of you run bar risers? or high bend bars? I am 6'2" and finding the right bar height has been an issue with my dirtbikes. On my dirtbike I ended up with high bend bars and about an inch risers.

From most videos I have watched it seems that most people are kind of hunched over. so am I just being a baby about it? I can see the advantage of having a lower center of gravity for balancing but I dont think my spine agrees.

Just wanted to hear some peoples opinions.
RiverRatRider13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:04 PM   #2
Ccino
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Risers

I'm a relative trials newby too and am running risers as well. I run them on my adventure bike to be in a comfortable position when standing. When on my trials bike I was finding my hunched forward position was giving my hands grief and my centre of gravity was too far forward, making it difficult to pop front wheel, and I was having to lean too far back when practicing turns etc. I am 6ft, and one inch riser has helped.
Good luck
Ccino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:43 AM   #3
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Take a look at taller riders taking part in the WTC, and take note of the fact of them using risers or not.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:57 AM   #4
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,782
I'm 6'1" and have my stock bars rolled extremely forward. This has helped me in my turns and just in general.

Not a fan of risers on trials bikes (or any bikes). You need to be in a comfortable "attack" position to properly control a dirt bike IMO.
Gordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:58 AM   #5
Gordy
Team Listo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
Take a look at taller riders taking part in the WTC, and take note of the fact of them using risers or not.

I love the taller guys need risers argument. Aren't their arms longer?
Maybe they raise the doorknobs all around the house too!!
Old 09-20-2012, 07:26 AM   #6
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post

I love the taller guys need risers argument. Aren't their arms longer?
Maybe they raise the doorknobs all around the house too!!
Perfect, can I use that?
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:31 AM   #7
Gordy
Team Listo

Old 09-20-2012, 07:45 AM   #8
mung
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
More Risers

Being 6-5 with a 38 inch inseam means for me that little trials bike is a long ways down there.I have 2 inch risers that for me work wonderful.I know Geoff Aaron is 6-4 and does not use risers but he is also less than half my age.I know when I am reaching my limit going up or down and having the bars a little higher than they should be is not a determining factor in what I can ride.I would rather ride mediocre all day than be in supposedly the right position and ride for 30 minutes and be crippled.I have no problem knowing I am doing it wrong if I can enjoy the ride longer.I stood next to Adam Raga at the Donner World round in 97 and he comes to the middle of my chest.Actually my workbench is 8 inches higher than normal and it works great.All the doorknobs are stock and are very low.
mung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:09 AM   #9
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by mung View Post
.I know Geoff Aaron is 6-4 and does not use risers but he is also less than half my age..
Wow! you are over 80 and still riding Trials. I'm impressed.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:10 AM   #10
mung
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
Very slight exageration

Is Geoff 35 or so? If so I am only 1.8 times as old.
mung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:28 AM   #11
motojunky
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 1,068
Quote:
He's 40, according to Google.

I think the point is that risers are not necessary for a taller rider. If risers (or any other mod) are what makes the difference between being able to ride or not being able to ride, I think the choice is a no-brainer. For folks that want to rush out and buy risers based on their dirt or street riding experience, it might make better sense to hold off and give it some time to adjust.
motojunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:33 AM   #12
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,262
Quote:
Mung, do you know my dad? He's almost 77 this December, rode nationals in 06 I think it was. He's still competing, sr amature.

anywho...
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:07 AM   #13
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
If you are serious about doing well at trials dont fit risers, as these tend to make the front end very light on very steep hills. For less competitive riders, who feel that risers make bikes more comfortable then that fine.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:15 PM   #14
DerViking
Shred

Oddometer: 303
To your taste. Chain and I are very close in height, (6'2") and in riding ability (alright, so he usually beats me, but not by much) and he does not run risers on any of his bikes, for many of the reasons listed above. I run 3.5" risers on my Big Red Pig, 2.5" on my DR650 and KTM 250 and have found that it improves my ability to lift the front, and definetly lets me ride longer without the back ache.

At the suggestion of Brian Crawford, I tried a 30mm straight rise on my Gasser. I found it improved my comfort, and improved my ability to steer, not really sure why. Only time they have caused me any issue is very large vertical faces, where you have to fold over the bars to get the front back down. I end up with bruises on my hips, though I am not sure I wouldn't have them anyway with risers or not.

So, try it. If it makes you more comfortable, you will have more fun, you will ride more, you will get better. As mentioned above, I also roll my bars pretty forward, to lengthen the cockpit. +1 on tall workbenches. Pisses off my wife, but keeps my back from cramping when working.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:53 PM   #15
Gordy
Team Listo

Oh Gawd, here we go again............

I can't imagine riding anything with 3" risers! On the dirt bikes, how do you keep your elbows out while being able to sit up close to the tank and weight the front end in turns? Your elbows must be up by your ears! (or hanging down improperly)

Hell, yeah you can lift the front end easier (not that this is a problem on any modern trials or dirt bike). I would hope so, but you have compromised the option of being able to shift your weight to the front tremendously.

I have tried guys bikes that have risers and the front pushed so bad in turns that the bikes were IMO un-rideable.

Now.....if you are going for comfort and riding long distance, feel free to get your ergos to suit what "feels" good, but you are certainly not helping your riding any. It would be interesting to show up at one of the Trials Training Center's classes with big asssed bar risers on and see what the top instructors have to say. hmmmmm.

I've had my share of back pain and riding in the attack position seems to be the best for me. Standing straight up requires my back and lats to do too much work to keep me pulled into the bike. As usual YRMV.