Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2012, 11:58 PM   #31
outsidein
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
If I knew heated gear was as good as it is in the cold I would have got it a long time ago. I can ride comfortably for any length of time at any speed in pretty much any temp down to freezing. The heated collar is really nice and keeps your head warm.

I have Gerbings microwire. Works well but had a few minor issues with connectors that were easily fixed. See comments in webbikeworld.com review of this. The jacket is great. My Gerbings T5 gloves on the other hand are great too but the sizing is off. I take a L in tourmaster and most other gloves but am swimming in the L Gerbings gloves. They need to fit tight to transfer heat. Read great things about warm and safe too so I would also consider their stuff. I would avoid tourmaster unless you are only going to use it on the rare occasion. It is cheaper but not as good. Skip a heated vest in favor of a heated jacket liner with heated collar IMO. A heated liner needs to fit tight over just something like a long sleeve T shirt to transfer heat effectively. Avoid the temptation to buy oversize.

One issue that bugs me with all heated gear is it lacks sufficient insulation. If you want to be comfortable in cold weather (<45F) plan on wearing your heated liner under the insulated liner than comes with your jacket. Other wise you are going to have hot spots where the heating elements are and be cold elsewhere. At temps higher than 45F the heated liner without the extra insulation works fine.

Also get a dual channel controller. Your going want both heated gloves and a liner to be comfortable at the temperatures the liner allows you to ride in. With the gerbings controller invest the extra $10 on the controller pouch so you can mount this to the outside of your jacket where it will be adjustable while riding. Having a too hot or too cold jacket and not being able to reach the controller while riding is frustrating. Gloves and jacket liners go well together as you can plug the gloves into the cuffs of the jacket liner.

I think heated pant liners are a waste of money. I ride in insulated motorcycle pants with base and sometimes mid layer and am quite comfortable down to 0C/32F. Think of it this way, when your body is chilled the first thing it does is slow blood flow to the extremities to keep the important organs warm. When you have a warm core circulating warm blood to the extremities cold legs and feet are not a problem.

outsidein screwed with this post 09-20-2012 at 12:12 AM
outsidein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:33 AM   #32
ScEd
Dances with Deer

Oddometer: 284
I have used Warm-n-Safe gen-1 here since it first came out. Never a problem and the owner Mike is often here on the forum to answer any issues that crop up. He does a great job communicating.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:51 AM   #33
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

Oddometer: 1,499
http://www.pca-one.com/search.asp?MfgCode=GER

happen to get this email with all this brand on closeout, not sure on teh brand quality my self but the store is good, get international orders from them, all my givi luggage etc
Storm Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:49 PM   #34
bob393 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Concise and no drama.
Thank you all.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:38 PM   #35
FlowBee
Just me.

Oddometer: 5,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsidein View Post
If I knew heated gear was as good as it is in the cold I would have got it a long time ago. I can ride comfortably for any length of time at any speed in pretty much any temp down to freezing. The heated collar is really nice and keeps your head warm.
Funny that. I bought my first Widder (RIP) vest in 1991. It was a revelation to me, and it still works today. I have a box full of connectors.... Since then I can count about half a dozen riders I've bought electric gear for as b'd/xmas presents who had never heard of electric gear. Each of them has later said "Oh my gawd - why didn't I try this sooner????".

I now use W&S gear because I respect Mike's level of customer service, attention to detail, innovation, and overall approach to his customers. Sure, his feud is a bit "distracting" but overall he's a good person to do business with.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:19 PM   #36
peterman
cop magnet

Oddometer: 13,268
warm and safe,,

without question!
good equipment,,great customer service from real people who ride.
peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:58 AM   #37
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

i only recently purchased a medium powerlet jacket for my SO, as she has low blood pressure and almost got hyperthermia , she used it once, and then well got pregnant, so jacket cant be used when ya pregnant, so i thought id try my fat arse into it, powerlet have a stretch pannel system that stretches to make sizez easier so, my l-xl body fit into it and it doesnt even feel tight, since i only ride 5 mintues to work and back each day, although its night time and freezing i cant be bothered putting it on. but ill use it for longer rides.

i like the idea i can put it under leathers, or under my cordura to be super warm.. folds u p so its just in one of my pannier.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:27 AM   #38
johned
green noob

Oddometer: 41
Storm,

I would be turned off by the Pink colour.

Not many of us can wear our wife's clothes, I sure can't, but good for you. Great economy there....and thats no joke with what some of this stuff costs.

John
johned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:04 AM   #39
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

we are totally different sizez, i got her a medium,when shes a small, and i normally take a xl, its these stretch pannels to make easy sizez from powerlet that do it. nothing else.

who cares if its pink, matches my eye liner and shoes
Old 09-23-2012, 12:43 PM   #40
johned
green noob

Oddometer: 41
Gotta luv ya Storm.....gotta luv ya. Now excuse me while I go change my shorts.

Thanks,

John the Damp.
johned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:43 PM   #41
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsidein View Post
One issue that bugs me with all heated gear is it lacks sufficient insulation. If you want to be comfortable in cold weather (<45F) plan on wearing your heated liner under the insulated liner than comes with your jacket. Other wise you are going to have hot spots where the heating elements are and be cold elsewhere. At temps higher than 45F the heated liner without the extra insulation works fine.
In my experience, I'd rather have a liner that's very thin, with zero insulation. but made of windblocking nylon. That way I can get it as close to my body as possible and have the largest amount of flexibility of insulation between the liner and the outside jacket.

If it's just cool then I ride with the liner and the outer jacket.
Cold then it's the liner, a fleece jacket and then the outer jacket
Freezing, then it's the liner and a down jacket and the outer jacket.

If the liner was insulated, it would:
A. cost more
B. not work as well in a wide range of temps
C. be bulky and less comfortable to wear.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:21 PM   #42
hfbmw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
electrified vest

Back in the late 80's I sent for info on making my own vest. The fellow also told me how to adjust the regulator on a BMW R65... due to the wattage that the alternator on that machine. So I tweaked the rugulator as BMWs for the most part don't charge more than 13.2 volts.
Instructions had me find multi strand wire.. #27 which is also insulated. First time I sewed only 100' feet of the wire and it did get HOT! Took the vest over to a friend's home and watched his eyes light up due to the instant heat. He advised adding 20 feet.

Nice and warm... WARM. Especially now with a higher output alternator on the BMW K series.

Start in one pocket of a vest or jacket that is lined and sew 10 foot size wire thru, never crossing over the wire but wind it around the vest or coat and then solder the sections then add shrink tape. 2 wires hanging out the one pocket and solder the zip cord to that and tie it off inside the pocket.. then attach a power plug directly to the battery... Plug the vest into that power plug and its up to the owner to either unplug the vest or add a switch.

Works.. for about 20 bucks.. kicks out 95 watts..

stay warm
hfbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:01 PM   #43
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,339
I picked up an Aerostich Kanetsu with the sleeve attachments in the Flea Market last spring. I have not had a chance to use it "for real" yet, but it seemed to work well when I tested it.

I do need to get a decent cord though. It came without one and I KLR'd one together using a lamp cord, inline fuse, and a couple of SAE connectors in order to try it out.
IBA #23064
AlanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:57 PM   #44
bob393 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Well I bit the bullet and ordered the Warm and Safe two channel remote heatroler,
Ultimate Touring Gloves, and Gen 3 90 watt liner.

I have never had trouble with my legs or feet but who knows last winter wasn't that bad.

Thank you all
Old 09-24-2012, 07:08 PM   #45
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by massrider View Post
I have a W&S jacket liner that I really like along with a dual remote controler and have been looking at heated gloves or glove liners, I see lots of reviews of different gloves but not much mention of the liners, I have had heated grips before but they leave my finger tips and thumb cold so I think I want some liners for my Held warm and dry gloves for the really cold days, does anyone have any experience with glove liners?

---
Liners: I have WnS ones for when the HGs don't cut it and prefer them to the bulky heated gloves which I never use.

I have a Tourmaster Synergy jacket liner. It had the typical controller issues after not much use. They were very good about replacing it but I still don't trust it so I got a Powerlet dual controller (heated insoles) and am happy with that setup.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote