ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2012, 05:04 AM   #1621
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Oddometer: 3,824
i continue to get many inquiries, primarily from Versys riders, about swapping in the DRZ400 49mm conventionals. the fork swap is easy, the wheel and brake setup also fairly easy, with the variables mainly revolving around wheel selection.

the photo of the 52mm to 49mm sleeves required to reduce the ID of the Versys lower clamp is way back in the thread, so here it is again. the sleeves are upside down in the photo, but you can see that a lip was left on the top so that the sleeve self aligns and self trims when placed in the clamp.



the sleeves are slotted top to bottom, with the slot aligned with the pinch slot on the clamp to achieve concentric clamping pressure, very important. the sleeves were set in the clamps with a few drops of Loctite cylinder sleeve locker.



the upper clamp was reduced from 50mm to 49mm with roll formed sheetmetal of the appropriate gauge and cut to size, only takes a few minutes, and was not glued in place.
jdrocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:05 PM   #1622
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT
 
MTrider16's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Eastern Montana
Oddometer: 1,440
Well I'm back home, another 2500 miles on the F8. After following all those moto's around, I'm going to take back my harsh words about the Ohlins suspenders. I think they kept the ride as soft as could be expected, and kept the pig pointed in the right direction most of the time. I didn't think I'd make it a couple times.

David
__________________
'13 VFR1200D, '13 XVS950, '09 F800GS, 07 CRF250X
Riding roads in Montana - Big Sky Country
www.mtrider16.smugmug.com
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:06 AM   #1623
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Oddometer: 3,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrider16 View Post
I think they kept the ride as soft as could be expected, and kept the pig pointed in the right direction most of the time. I didn't think I'd make it a couple times.

David
i thought that was the gripe against the OEM forks...too soft.
jdrocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:22 PM   #1624
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT
 
MTrider16's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Eastern Montana
Oddometer: 1,440
Sounds about right. I didn't feel them bottom, but yet it soaked up some pretty rough stuff. Centerstand hit a couple of times on g-outs.

David
__________________
'13 VFR1200D, '13 XVS950, '09 F800GS, 07 CRF250X
Riding roads in Montana - Big Sky Country
www.mtrider16.smugmug.com
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:43 AM   #1625
kajj
Gnarly Adventurer
 
kajj's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: In northern Sweden
Oddometer: 191
Hey JD. Do you any close up pic`s on how the versys caliper bolts to the adapter and DRZ fork?
kajj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:47 PM   #1626
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Oddometer: 3,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by kajj View Post
Hey JD. Do you any close up pic`s on how the versys caliper bolts to the adapter and DRZ fork?


spacer is nominal 1/4", 6.3mm steel. layout, then drill and tap as necessary for full pad contact on the rotor. spacer mounting bolts may need to be clearanced to avoid interference with the rotor.
jdrocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:52 PM   #1627
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Oddometer: 3,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrider16 View Post
Sounds about right. I didn't feel them bottom, but yet it soaked up some pretty rough stuff. Centerstand hit a couple of times on g-outs.

David
at least they're adjustable now. too soft, and the front end wants to dive into Montana trouble before ya can get on the gas to yank it back out.
jdrocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:51 PM   #1628
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT
 
MTrider16's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Eastern Montana
Oddometer: 1,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
at least they're adjustable now. too soft, and the front end wants to dive into Montana trouble before ya can get on the gas to yank it back out.
I'll keep that in mind. My lack of suspension knowledge is now out for everyone to see.

David
__________________
'13 VFR1200D, '13 XVS950, '09 F800GS, 07 CRF250X
Riding roads in Montana - Big Sky Country
www.mtrider16.smugmug.com
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:53 AM   #1629
kajj
Gnarly Adventurer
 
kajj's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: In northern Sweden
Oddometer: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post


spacer is nominal 1/4", 6.3mm steel. layout, then drill and tap as necessary for full pad contact on the rotor. spacer mounting bolts may need to be clearanced to avoid interference with the rotor.
Ok. Thanks.

I did manage to find a used swingarm bolt from a ER6 to use as the front wheel axle.

The build will continue in a few weeks when it gets to cold to ride.
kajj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:33 PM   #1630
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Oddometer: 3,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrider16 View Post
I'll keep that in mind. My lack of suspension knowledge is now out for everyone to see.

David
lucky for you, it's a very small world in here. you're safe.
jdrocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:37 PM   #1631
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Oddometer: 3,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by kajj View Post
Ok. Thanks.

I did manage to find a used swingarm bolt from a ER6 to use as the front wheel axle.

The build will continue in a few weeks when it gets to cold to ride.
that's the easiest and least expensive solution. cheaper than buying a bolt or turning a custom axle. it's a true 20mm, no slop on the bearings.

i thought you guys mounted studded tires and rode all winter.
jdrocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:15 AM   #1632
kajj
Gnarly Adventurer
 
kajj's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: In northern Sweden
Oddometer: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
that's the easiest and least expensive solution. cheaper than buying a bolt or turning a custom axle. it's a true 20mm, no slop on the bearings.

i thought you guys mounted studded tires and rode all winter.
hehe. When will I have time to work on the bike then. I guess it would work for a while.
But when the temperature drops down below -30 degrees Celsius in mid January It`s a bit to cold to ride.

I would be fun thou.
kajj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:51 AM   #1633
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Oddometer: 3,824
i was riding at Michaux yesterday, just scouting the gravel since i hadn't been there before.

stopped for fuel on the way back, and a twenty something guy in a beat to crap Jeep Cherokee leaned out the window...

"does that bike really have 649 horsepower?"

"yeah son, it really does."

"oh, way cool."
jdrocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:42 AM   #1634
kajj
Gnarly Adventurer
 
kajj's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: In northern Sweden
Oddometer: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
i was riding at Michaux yesterday, just scouting the gravel since i hadn't been there before.

stopped for fuel on the way back, and a twenty something guy in a beat to crap Jeep Cherokee leaned out the window...

"does that bike really have 649 horsepower?"

"yeah son, it really does."

"oh, way cool."
kajj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:38 AM   #1635
ben2go
Moto Flunky
 
ben2go's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Upstate SC USA
Oddometer: 2,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
i was riding at Michaux yesterday, just scouting the gravel since i hadn't been there before.

stopped for fuel on the way back, and a twenty something guy in a beat to crap Jeep Cherokee leaned out the window...

"does that bike really have 649 horsepower?"

"yeah son, it really does."

"oh, way cool."
Some peoples kids.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014