ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-20-2012, 06:28 PM   #52591
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly
 
MeefZah's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: New Philadelphia, Ohio
Oddometer: 10,733
L to R:

McTacticool, Bob Ramsey, MikeF5000, B-Mac, Bill (not online), MeefZah



Good ride. 470 miles for me. Mike and I got a little sporty on 260 after everyone else went home.
__________________
Fuck Bill de Blasio

MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:35 PM   #52592
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly
 
MeefZah's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: New Philadelphia, Ohio
Oddometer: 10,733
Does anyone want this ladies XL jacket, and mens M jacket?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=827253
__________________
Fuck Bill de Blasio

MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:51 PM   #52593
swingset
Got the knack.
 
swingset's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Central Ohio
Oddometer: 10,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxcrider View Post
And oh so affordable!



Guess if you have 570 money, what's an $800 gas tank?
__________________
The Rant-Fu blog & podcast ->Rant-Fu




swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:51 PM   #52594
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero
 
Gonzo_Matt's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Sparta, Ohio
Oddometer: 2,299
I don't think there is one do it all bike for Ohio. If I were to pick just one bike for trails, gravel, street, and adventure type riding, it would be a WRR, KLX 250, XR 250-400, or DR 350. Mainly because they all have long maintenance intervals, excellent dealer network are capable of highway speeds, can carry a 180 pound rider and supplies for a week on the road, are sub 300 pounds, and have a decent ability on the trail. Obliviously, they WRR is the first choice just because it isn't so dated.

The high zoot enduro/MX bikes (KTM, Husaberg) are a damn good time, but I'd rather spend my limited spare time riding than worrying about changing oil and adjusting valves. That said, I'm keeping mine around for the time being for those trips to Perry or the 200 mile trail/gravel work days. I'll probably eventually replace it with a CRF 250 something, or a WR250 something.
__________________
Once an honest man could go from sunrise to its set without encountering agents of his state or government.

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:09 PM   #52595
mgorman
Crashing since 1964
 
mgorman's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Massillon, Ohio
Oddometer: 5,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
The high zoot enduro/MX bikes (KTM, Husaberg) are a damn good time, but I'd rather spend my limited spare time riding than worrying about changing oil and adjusting valves.
I hope you don't believe everything you read, my buddies 07 crf250 is still in spec and my 08 250xcf is too with 83 hours of MX, scrambles, ds and trails on the meter, same motor as the SX. My TE410 was the same way.

MXrs and people who bounce off the rev limiters are why you hear this bs. They may not be XRs but modern thumpers aren't that bad. My 950 went 40k before a valve needed love.

If I believed it, I'd never had 3 of the best bikes I ever owned.

Oil capacity on some bikes though is pretty small.
__________________
Michael

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:31 PM   #52596
BOB RAMSAY
Not in the Clique -
 
BOB RAMSAY's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Granville, Ohio
Oddometer: 331
Some good riding weather -

[QUOTE=MeefZah;19642702]L to R:

McTacticool, Bob Ramsey, MikeF5000, B-Mac, Bill (not online), MeefZah



Good ride. 470 miles for me. Mike and I got a little sporty on 260 after everyone else went home.[/QUOTE]

Thanks guys for letting me ride along with y'all today. I can't quite keep the pace on the pavement down southeast way - and I thought we hit some good state routes today. I punked out and headed north early and got home with 230 miles.

Meigs County makes me think about a bike that don't 'do-it-all' - how about a Super-Motard downthere? That's a different type of adventure riding. . .

Brian - let me know when you get the 500 Husky - we'll schedule some fun!

Nice meeting everyone and hope it wasn't too dusty.
Let's do it again!

BR
__________________
I'll take Heaven for the climate - Hell for the company.
BOB RAMSAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:39 PM   #52597
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero
 
Gonzo_Matt's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Sparta, Ohio
Oddometer: 2,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
I hope you don't believe everything you read, my buddies 07 crf250 is still in spec and my 08 250xcf is too with 83 hours of MX, scrambles, ds and trails on the meter, same motor as the SX. My TE410 was the same way.

MXrs and people who bounce off the rev limiters are why you hear this bs. They may not be XRs but modern thumpers aren't that bad. My 950 went 40k before a valve needed love.

If I believed it, I'd never had 3 of the best bikes I ever owned.

Oil capacity on some bikes though is pretty small.
I'm not saying that the KTM is going to explode if you don't adjust the valves every 40 feet, but they don't have the 26k interval the WRR does. I've read the stories about the guys with 20k on RFS engines, but having to change the oil every ride would get to be a drag. My 450 RFS only holds 1.2 quarts, you can't tell me that little bit of oil can stay clean and retain it's lubricating qualities for more than 15 or so hours. Not to mention every other oil change comes with changing/cleaning 2 filters and dropping the skid plate.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Katoom, it's a marvel of engineering, and a blast to ride, but if it was my only bike, I would be riding a lot less than I do.
__________________
Once an honest man could go from sunrise to its set without encountering agents of his state or government.

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:56 PM   #52598
Danjal
Insert wit here.
 
Danjal's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Location,Location
Oddometer: 2,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
I'm not saying that the KTM is going to explode if you don't adjust the valves every 40 feet, but they don't have the 26k interval the WRR does. I've read the stories about the guys with 20k on RFS engines, but having to change the oil every ride would get to be a drag. My 450 RFS only holds 1.2 quarts, you can't tell me that little bit of oil can stay clean and retain it's lubricating qualities for more than 15 or so hours. Not to mention every other oil change comes with changing/cleaning 2 filters and dropping the skid plate.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Katoom, it's a marvel of engineering, and a blast to ride, but if it was my only bike, I would be riding a lot less than I do.
Which is precisely why Im including maintenance for a do all platform.
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:43 PM   #52599
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows
 
buildit's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Simpsons home town Ohio
Oddometer: 14,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
I don't think there is one do it all bike for Ohio.
You own it! The KLR650 is the do it all bike for Ohio. It won't do it all well but mine has done it all I think.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/user/advfilmer
2013 Super-10
2007 KTM950SEr
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:24 PM   #52600
GregsBro
a.k.a. Scott
 
GregsBro's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: central Ohio
Oddometer: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
Yeah, sure I'll try it on the Strom if no one else wants it.
You got it neighbor.
GregsBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:02 AM   #52601
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows
 
buildit's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Simpsons home town Ohio
Oddometer: 14,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregsBro View Post
You got it neighbor.
Cool, give me a time to come get it or just pitch it over the fence to the dogs.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/user/advfilmer
2013 Super-10
2007 KTM950SEr
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:19 AM   #52602
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly
 
MeefZah's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: New Philadelphia, Ohio
Oddometer: 10,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregsBro View Post
You got it neighbor.
Apparently it is the tires, not the milkshake, that brings the buildit to your yard.
__________________
Fuck Bill de Blasio

MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:44 AM   #52603
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows
 
buildit's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Simpsons home town Ohio
Oddometer: 14,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Apparently it is the tires, not the milkshake, that brings the buildit to your yard.
He doth speakith in riddles I say.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/user/advfilmer
2013 Super-10
2007 KTM950SEr
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:01 AM   #52604
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮
 
indypup's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Troy, OHIO
Oddometer: 3,633
Maybe it was for her milkshake(s)...

__________________
don't do that...but if you do FILM IT!
2014 KTM 350 XCF-W ISDE
2007 ST1300, 2008 KLR650, 2008 WR290R Supermoto, 1995 Ninja 250R
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:10 AM   #52605
GregsBro
a.k.a. Scott
 
GregsBro's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: central Ohio
Oddometer: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
He doth speakith in riddles I say.
Go here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=12602
and read a page or two and that will explain it. I was confused too Mark had to explain it to the old man.
GregsBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014