Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2012, 08:22 PM   #3031
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
If you are referring to the figure I quoted from the Motorcycle Consumer News reports, you are quite right: that was for the small-tank R1200GS, without bags or engine bars etc, and not for the Adventure model.

Independent weight figures for the Adventure aren't so easy to come by. However, Motorcyclist online quotes 581 lbs for the 07 model.

However, just how wet that is I'm not sure. I am guessing it is without the aluminium bags. They also quote 631 lbs for the 05 R1200RT - a 50 lb difference - whereas BMW's own figures quote a difference of only 14 lbs for dry weight - and the GS Adventure has a bigger tank.

It is looking like a full-tank GS Adventure with alum bags and a full-tank Stelvio with bags might not be so far apart.

Interested to see if anybody can dig up something more accurate. I remember there were some home-measured weights quoted on the Super Tenere thread a while back, for a bunch of bikes (but maybe not a GS Adventure).
IMO this weight debate is pointless simply because these bikes are ALL running 600lbs+ once they are set up for adventure (engine bars, aux lights, sturdy bags, heavy-duty bash plate, etc.). Even 50lbs here or there makes little to no difference.

What DOES matter is where that weight is, and a spec sheet won't tell you that. To figure that part out, peeps need to ride each of them. I did, and based on that, I found the GSA to be a friggin' tank, especially with the fuel tank full. It carries a lot of it's mass up high, and as a result it's a handful. MANY owners have sold them for that very reason: Too tippy/hard to handle when loaded. The NTX and Tenere are both much better balanced, and carry their weight much lower. The Multistrada and KTM 990 are both significantly lighter to begin with, and feel more like big dirt bikes than ponderous street bikes. Both are well balanced, and don't feel overly porky even fully loaded. The only one I haven't ridden is the new Tiger Explorer, but I sat on one at the dealer and flipped it side to side (to the horror of the sales guy! ) and it felt no different than the Tenere or the Stelvio (but the tank had maybe 1 gallon of fuel vs. being full). One of these days I'll take one out for a spin and get a feeling for how it handles "on the move".

All that to say static weights listed on spec sheets mean F'all, and what matters is how they handle "fully configured" on actual roads (dirt or sealed).

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:46 PM   #3032
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,571
Wet weights Stelvio vs GS Adventure

Okay, found a likely sounding online source at Rider magazine.

They appear to have weighed an R1200GS Adventure and a Stelvio this year in similar states: bash plate, engine bars and side boxes on, and full tanks. Results ...

Stelvio: 661 lbs.

GS Adventure: 628 lbs.

... so according to them, there are 33lbs in it, or about 15kg.

Given that the Beemer sits on taller suspenders and likely carries its crankshaft still higher (to get some cornering clearance out of those horizontal jugs), it is not hard to see why the Stelvio would feel easier to throw around, and even to right after a tip-over.

In other news:

They weighed the Yam Super Tenere when they weighed the GS, and it came up the same: 628 lbs.

Given that the Super Ten carries 9 Litres less fuel (15 lbs) and has plastic panniers (8 lbs for the pair, compared with aluminium? I'm guessing ) we can speculate that an unadorned Super Ten would weigh about 10 lbs less than an unadorned Stelvio.

Adds some perspective, doesn't it?

For a bit more perspective, when BMW released the 1200 Adventure they claimed it was 27 lbs lighter than the its predecessor, the 1150 Adventure. Which would put the Super Ten, Stelvio and 1150 Adventure roughly on par.

And in yet other news:

Perspective from another angle - these are light heavyweights compared with the four-cylinder sport-tourer crowd. For example, from Rider figures:

2011 Kaw Concours 14: 690 lbs (with 10 litres less fuel, plastic panniers and no bash-plate or protective ironwork).

Edit: Hi to Sock - that one came in while I was typing.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:39 PM   #3033
Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
A big thank you to Moronic for finding that data. Very instructive.
Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:45 PM   #3034
THE BONE SHAKER
Adventure Tourer

Oddometer: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
How did you move the front brake line?

The electrical bundles are all long enough, but the throttle cables and front brake line were not, at least not on my bike. I considered undoing the throttle cables, but I was too lazy to do a front brake bleed so I went the top-clamp-removal route.

Re. the ROX not being a "perfect fit", what doesn't fit???

-SM
I left the brake lever cylinder etc attached to the bar but un did the clutch cable, I then routed the brake line under the bars by kind of rotating the bars while I had them undone off the bar clamps. Bit hard to explain but it worked a treat. Cheers
TORQUE is how far the wall moves after you hit it
THE BONE SHAKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:29 AM   #3035
Thinc2
Paciugo

Oddometer: 4,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
Okay, found a likely sounding online source at Rider magazine.

They appear to have weighed an R1200GS Adventure and a Stelvio this year in similar states: bash plate, engine bars and side boxes on, and full tanks. Results ...

Stelvio: 661 lbs.

GS Adventure: 628 lbs.

... so according to them, there are 33lbs in it, or about 15kg.

Given that the Beemer sits on taller suspenders and likely carries its crankshaft still higher (to get some cornering clearance out of those horizontal jugs), it is not hard to see why the Stelvio would feel easier to throw around, and even to right after a tip-over.

In other news:

They weighed the Yam Super Tenere when they weighed the GS, and it came up the same: 628 lbs.

Given that the Super Ten carries 9 Litres less fuel (15 lbs) and has plastic panniers (8 lbs for the pair, compared with aluminium? I'm guessing ) we can speculate that an unadorned Super Ten would weigh about 10 lbs less than an unadorned Stelvio.

Adds some perspective, doesn't it?

For a bit more perspective, when BMW released the 1200 Adventure they claimed it was 27 lbs lighter than the its predecessor, the 1150 Adventure. Which would put the Super Ten, Stelvio and 1150 Adventure roughly on par.

And in yet other news:

Perspective from another angle - these are light heavyweights compared with the four-cylinder sport-tourer crowd. For example, from Rider figures:

2011 Kaw Concours 14: 690 lbs (with 10 litres less fuel, plastic panniers and no bash-plate or protective ironwork).

Edit: Hi to Sock - that one came in while I was typing.
Awesome - thank you. Very useful.
Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:15 PM   #3036
flying_hun
Moral Hazard

Oddometer: 303
Thanks to all the recent posters bringing great info about living with the NTX! You've got me dreaming.

TheFlyinghun Blog

EuroBARF 2014
flying_hun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:09 PM   #3037
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer: 2,587
First Service-almost a WTF!

I took my Stelvio in today for it's first service. I had to trailer it to the dealer since they are almost 2 hours away and they needed a old engine for the valve adjust. I dropped it off about 09:00 and it was done around 13:00. The tech who worked on it is on of the top 3 Ducati certified techs in the country...I remember him working on my '93 Ducati 900 SS back in the day at another dealership.

Anyway, I trailer the bike back home 2 hours, unload the bike and put the trailer away. I decided to go for a short ride to see if the TPS reset and TB sync made any difference. I start it up and WTF...it's only running on one cylinder!!! I know they took it for a test ride...I checked both plug wires at the plugs and they were on secure. I called the service department and told the service manager what happened...He put the tech on the phone that worked on my bike and told me to check the plug wires which I already had checked. He said it ran fine on his test ride and couldn't think of anything that could have happened.

I was pretty steamed at this point thinking I would have to take it back to the dealer and take another day off of work.

I checked the plug wires again, this time at the coils...I pulled on the wires and they seemed loose but when pulled them out I could feel the resistance when they came out. I put the left side in, then the right. When the right one went back in it didn't feel right so I pulled it back out slightly until I could feel it was seated in the coil right. I started it back up and it was firing on both cylinders...WTF?

I don't know if it happened on the ride home on the trailer but it's worth checking if you have a similiar problem.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
dirtymartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:40 PM   #3038
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,688
The bright side is that an Italian bike will sometimes make you a better diagnostician.

You solved an easy one, no harm no foul. Enjoy both cylinders
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:12 PM   #3039
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymartini View Post
I took my Stelvio in today for it's first service. I had to trailer it to the dealer since they are almost 2 hours away and they needed a old engine for the valve adjust. I dropped it off about 09:00 and it was done around 13:00. The tech who worked on it is on of the top 3 Ducati certified techs in the country...I remember him working on my '93 Ducati 900 SS back in the day at another dealership.

Anyway, I trailer the bike back home 2 hours, unload the bike and put the trailer away. I decided to go for a short ride to see if the TPS reset and TB sync made any difference. I start it up and WTF...it's only running on one cylinder!!! I know they took it for a test ride...I checked both plug wires at the plugs and they were on secure. I called the service department and told the service manager what happened...He put the tech on the phone that worked on my bike and told me to check the plug wires which I already had checked. He said it ran fine on his test ride and couldn't think of anything that could have happened.

I was pretty steamed at this point thinking I would have to take it back to the dealer and take another day off of work.

I checked the plug wires again, this time at the coils...I pulled on the wires and they seemed loose but when pulled them out I could feel the resistance when they came out. I put the left side in, then the right. When the right one went back in it didn't feel right so I pulled it back out slightly until I could feel it was seated in the coil right. I started it back up and it was firing on both cylinders...WTF?

I don't know if it happened on the ride home on the trailer but it's worth checking if you have a similiar problem.
So, once running on both jugs, how'd she run?

My bike ran SIGNIFICANTLY better after the first service, mainly because they did a TB sync (at my request....normally that's not part of the service, or so I was told) and found them to be off by quite a bit. Now the surging is pretty much gone, and I'm a very happy camper.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:16 AM   #3040
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer: 2,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
So, once running on both jugs, how'd she run?

My bike ran SIGNIFICANTLY better after the first service, mainly because they did a TB sync (at my request....normally that's not part of the service, or so I was told) and found them to be off by quite a bit. Now the surging is pretty much gone, and I'm a very happy camper.

-SM
It does run much smoother, valves were a little loose they told me. Also the small hesitation I had at just off idle is gone. I have to say it wasn't very impressive on one jug!
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
dirtymartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:20 AM   #3041
MotoG5
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Still Waiting

Noob here, still waiting on my new NTX to arrive from Texas. Seems Guzzi just released a service bulletin that the dealer wanted to get done on the bike before shipping it to me. Good idea as he and I are almost nine hundred miles apart. And Guzzi in the typical Italian fashion sent out the bulletin with out having the needed parts on hand so a bit of a wait is now in progress. I am a long time Guzzi owner so none of this either suprises or causes undue pain. I have been sent the CD and owner's manual. So far I am the proud owner of a $16K CD and manual.
In the mean time I have been getting my Stelvio fix here one this most excellent and informative list. Lots of interesting information and commentary to keep me pumped until the bike arrives.
MotoG5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:07 PM   #3042
Mr Grumpy
Old Git.

Oddometer: 102
Well, I had news yesterday that my Buell is definitely an insurance write-off, so I wandered down to the local Guzzi dealer & they lent me their demo bike for an hour.

Oh dear oh dear, I'm hooked.

It's quite the nicest bike I've ever ridden, except in one respect, the wind noise is astounding!
I'm 5'10" ish, is there a better screen? I'm not that bothered about the weather protection, after all I've been riding roadsters for years, but the noise from the screen turbulence is horrendous.
Not enough to stop me buying one though as soon as the insurance cheque comes through.

It looks immense after an XB12STT, but after clambering aboard I found it no taller in the saddle.
Once it's moving though it's a different story, so light & throwable I was grinning so much I though my helmet might crack.
There's not the same punch as the Buell but it's deceptively fast, I'll be looking for a can to give it a nicer tone though.
One thing I did like particularly is sitting at a stop with it idling, it has that same "demented sewing machine on steroids" clatter from the valvetrain.

Anyway, within the next few weeks I become a Stelvisto.

Not screaming in terror, like his passengers!
Mr Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:04 PM   #3043
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,688
Did a couple hundred miles in the mountains looking at Fall color today, and crossed over the 10,000 mile mark... picked it up June 6.

Peak to Peak Hwy

I'm putting a new K60 rear on next weekend, but even at 10k this one has some tread left. It's just time....

front at 10k

IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:25 PM   #3044
Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309

FInally made it home, but had to stop in Cour de ALene and have lunch at Crickets. The Califonia Melt is a killer.

Tomorrow first ride. Empire Cycle in Spokane did a great job making this easy and a thank you to John. I then had to go over to the local BMW facility and but a new Schuberth helmet....so they could see what happens when you don't let people test ride your product...lots of long faces when I pulled up:)
Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:12 AM   #3045
fortrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Got my 2013 NTX

My 2013 NTX arrived at the dealership Friday. Awesome Black. Had the heated grips installed on Sat. along with Heidneaus, nice Aprilia mirrors and the correct turn signals. Only a short ride home, but what a wonderful ride. Smoothest shifting transmission on any bike I have ever owned.
I had a 2009 Stelvio and thought that was a great bike. Moto Guzzi has listen to the needed upgrades and made a wonderful machine. But I do miss the glove box but the extra fuel is well worth it.
Had a GSA after the 09 Stelvio and it want be missed at all. The Guzzi is a much superior machine, it feels like a motorcycle should.
More to come as the riding begins.