Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2012, 05:15 AM   #136
rickrwh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Here's some pics from a class last weekend here in MD. A couple Beemers, a KLR , and a bunch of Ducatis.

http://hbworth.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Training/Total-Control-915-Columbia-MD/25389748_PQB48p#!i=2089004252&k=SLwL9DZ

Old 09-21-2012, 08:47 AM   #137
Bowtie76
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrwh View Post
If you've read through this thread at all you've figured out that I'm one of the instructors for Total Control in MD (and sometimes VA). I'm posting on several websites to see if there is enough interest in running a Total Control trackday class to make it worthwhile. This is just guaging interest but we would probably need at least 12 people signed up for it to go. The class is on a racetrack (probably would be Shenandoah at Summit Point, WV) and it's geared towards riders who have already taken a TC level 1 class. I rode out to CA last week and did the class with Lee at Willow Springs and let me tell you it was a blast.

It's not a free for all like a trackday. You have instructors stationed around the course and you practice specific techniques while being observed. You do 3 lap stints and then come in to a hot pit area for feedback from another instructor then you go out and repeat. When your group isn't out riding the track, you practice some of the parking lot excersises from both the level 1 and level 2 classes with instructor feedback just like the normal classes. We could probably even talk Lee into coming out and participating.

So what say ye? Sound like fun?

Here's what it looked like from the beak of my GSA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...L9p6i8Ck#t=48s

Late reply but I would in for this.

Took ARC June of Last year followed by Pridmore's CLASS in July, and my riding has really changed.

Even doing some track days at VIR with NESBA now and can't tell you how much the mechanics learned in ARC have helped.
Bowtie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:15 PM   #138
VaderSS
Canyon Carving Goldwing

Oddometer: 186
I rode motorcycles in Louisiana and Texas for 20 years, before moving to the SF Bay Area.

I found myself totally out of my element on twisty roads, I simply could not relax and enjoy them.

I purchased the book, Total Control, and that helped me greatly. I was now riding faster and smoother, with much more enjoyment.

I then took the 2-day Total Control ARC, and the very next day, went riding with a group of sport-bike riders, I was at the back of the pack, but I was riding a GL1800 Goldwing, and having a blast. The guys I was riding with were surprised that I was only seconds behind them,

That same weekend, I rode with a road-race instructor who complimented my riding, I've surprised many people at what I can do with a GL1800 since then,

I am also convinced that I have avoided several accidents since then, that would have been unavoidable before.

I feel that the segment on trail-braking alone is worth the money for the whole weekend, but it was all priceless.
VaderSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:53 PM   #139
db4805
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrwh View Post
Here's some pics from a class last weekend here in MD. A couple Beemers, a KLR , and a bunch of Ducatis.

http://hbworth.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Training/Total-Control-915-Columbia-MD/25389748_PQB48p#!i=2089004252&k=SLwL9DZ

Wait, the KLR gets a mention?
Thanks for the photos rickrwh. It was an awesome class.
db4805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:18 PM   #140
eap
El Adventurero Solitario

Oddometer: 3,223
In the past ten years I have taken (in order) ERC -> Club Track Day -> ERC -> Total Control -> Reg Pridmore Track Day....

I enjoyed all and each one was progressively more challenging I even thought about becoming an instructor. The TC was great but the Pridmore was awesome. While I am glad I took TC, my next 'class' will be another Pridmore or similar track day with oversite.... I guess the moral is 'you never stop learning'.

The TC was good prep for the track day (good basic review on cornering and good intro to suspension), but if you only can do one, I recomend to do a track day as I consider it better value for the money.... YMMV.
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride," -From 'Eldorado', Edgar Allen Poe (1849) http://www.eapoe.org/works/poems/eldrdoa.htm
eap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:19 PM   #141
rickrwh
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by db4805 View Post
Wait, the KLR gets a mention?
Thanks for the photos rickrwh. It was an awesome class.
KLRs ALWAYS get a mention.

Especially here.

Glad you enjoyed the class!
Old 12-20-2012, 01:51 PM   #142
outlaws justice OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 970
Some folks have sent me messages about classes, so I thought I would mention if you want to look at the web site www.totalcontroltraining.net you can view the schedule, I am sure it will grow over the winter.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:42 PM   #143
Am.E
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
which bike for total control?

Bump...

I'm signed up to take this class for the first time next weekend, and really looking forward to it.

However, I have two bikes, and am not sure which to take (I know, I know, world's smallest violin, first world problems....), so I'm polling the crowd:

One is a 2012 Ducati Monster. Learning to get more out of this bike is a big reason I'd like to take this class. However, the Monster is not the friendliest at parking lot speeds: first gear is still very tall (even after going to a smaller front sprocket), fueling at low rpm is TERRIBLE, making the bike run roughly at low rpm, and the throttle is very snatchy or on/off at low rpm. Also, the amount of steering lock is not great. All of this makes the bike difficult to ride at parking lot speeds in small circles.

Contrast to my Honda CRF230L dualsport. Easy to ride slow (low first gear, smooth running, will tractor as smoothly as you want all the way down to zero.) Lots of steering angle. Light. Don't care a bit if I drop it. I've been practicing some parking lot figure 8 stuff, and the CRF has allowed me to learn much more, and its easier to push the limits.

I'm concerned if I take the Monster that I will not get as much from the class. But then again, maybe taking it on the Monster is exactly what I need.

which bike would you take? Is the crf dual sport an appropriate bike for this? Does it make sense to take the class on the CRF, and then practice on the Monster on my own time later?
Am.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:13 PM   #144
viajero
Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer: 2,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Am.E View Post
Bump...

I'm signed up to take this class for the first time next weekend, and really looking forward to it.

However, I have two bikes, and am not sure which to take (I know, I know, world's smallest violin, first world problems....), so I'm polling the crowd:

One is a 2012 Ducati Monster. Learning to get more out of this bike is a big reason I'd like to take this class. However, the Monster is not the friendliest at parking lot speeds: first gear is still very tall (even after going to a smaller front sprocket), fueling at low rpm is TERRIBLE, making the bike run roughly at low rpm, and the throttle is very snatchy or on/off at low rpm. Also, the amount of steering lock is not great. All of this makes the bike difficult to ride at parking lot speeds in small circles.

Contrast to my Honda CRF230L dualsport. Easy to ride slow (low first gear, smooth running, will tractor as smoothly as you want all the way down to zero.) Lots of steering angle. Light. Don't care a bit if I drop it. I've been practicing some parking lot figure 8 stuff, and the CRF has allowed me to learn much more, and its easier to push the limits.

I'm concerned if I take the Monster that I will not get as much from the class. But then again, maybe taking it on the Monster is exactly what I need.

which bike would you take? Is the crf dual sport an appropriate bike for this? Does it make sense to take the class on the CRF, and then practice on the Monster on my own time later?
I say take the Monster. Explain its shortcomings to the instructors and ask for help in overcoming them. They might just have some good techniques for you to try.

Otherwise, sell it and get something more user friendly.
viajero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:49 PM   #145
beck49
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
The OP is in an interesting position. I took both TCARC classes and certainly benefited from them. I had a Tiger 1050 that can be very snatchy at low speed. The class will probably be a lot easier with the dual sport, but I think the lessons will apply more to when you ride the Monster. Also the circles aren't that small. The challenge is being able to quickly get up to speed and then hold a constant throttle while executing what you've learned. Keep in mind that it's also not just about learning the techniques you use in the circles. They will cover suspension as well. Lee was at both of my classes and you can get very direct advice about the suspension on your own bike. This would again probably argue in favor of the Monster. Good luck.
beck49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:51 PM   #146
DiamondDan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Bump...

I just did the ARC1 here n IL on an F800R, which also has a really snatchy throttle at low speeds. Did it make the maneuvers more difficult? Probably, but it's important to remember that you are learning techniques, not mastering the, at the ARC1. I'll do a skills day or two to really work on getting these maneuvers up to a standard I'm happy with on my bike.

I'n your shoes, I'd use the monster.
DiamondDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:29 AM   #147
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 11,549
Quote:
One is a 2012 Ducati Monster. Learning to get more out of this bike is a big reason I'd like to take this class. However, the Monster is not the friendliest at parking lot speeds: first gear is still very tall (even after going to a smaller front sprocket), fueling at low rpm is TERRIBLE, making the bike run roughly at low rpm, and the throttle is very snatchy or on/off at low rpm.

One of the lessons they teach in the class is maintaining your RPMs in the level above where the "snatch" kicks in. So, going with the Monster will give you another opportunity to learn.

Sounds like you have already made your decision.

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:48 AM   #148
Am.E
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the responses! Good points all...

Quote:
Otherwise, sell it and get something more user friendly
Eh, no bike is "perfect." Despite its faults, the Monster is a really excellent, fun "little" bike. I do think the Monster rewards higher skill with higher performance in a way that a bike that is "easier" to ride cannot. (Won't completely de-rail the thread with this, but different strokes for different folks, most of the time, the Monster is a hoot)

Quote:
Also the circles aren't that small.
This probably makes all the difference, and decreases my concern a lot.

Quote:
I'n your shoes, I'd use the monster.
Quote:
Sounds like you have already made your decision.
Yeah, I was leaning pretty hard that way anyway, but I was curious what others would do (especially those who had taken the class). As long as my new rear tire comes in on time, I'll take the Monster. I'll definitely report back to this thread with my opinion after the class in case anyone is interested.

Cross your fingers for good weather, I get to go on a 300 mi moto trip this Friday!
Old 05-22-2013, 05:04 PM   #149
rickrwh
Gnarly Adventurer

I'll chime in here. I'd take the Monster. My wife has a 696 and I've taught on it a couple times and like you said, it's a hoot.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:52 PM   #150
Am.E
Gnarly Adventurer

So the verdict is that the Monster is a great bike to take to total control.

Also, a big thumbs up for this class. This was my first time taking total control, and it was definitely worth it for me (if only to fix the bad habits I didn’t know I had). I had fun, and learned a few things to work on. I gained a bit of knowledge, but the biggest value was getting to practice some fundamentals in front of the instructors. I wasn’t the only one with a gap between what I thought I was doing, and what I was actually doing. Reading a book and watching others gives the knowledge of what to do, but having knowledgeable instructors correct you and show you photographic evidence that you aren’t actually doing what you think you are is worth the price of the class. Highly recommended!

The concerns about the Monster being difficult at low speeds were totally unfounded for this class. Yes, the class is held in a parking lot, but the drills are plenty fast enough to avoid the difficulty at very low speeds. I had been concerned because I have been practicing very small u-turns and circles (like inside a 24 ft circle, which bumps up against full lock on the Monster), and am still having some trouble. This class addresses cornering at road speeds, and the 40 ft circles were plenty big enough (especially since they wanted you to stay far enough away from the cones to see the whole circle at all times). The only difference is that some people did some of the drills in 2nd gear, but I would do them in first at roughly the same speed.

If the crf230 was my only bike, it would have been fine to take to this class. However, since I had a choice, the Monster is definitely better.

Am.E screwed with this post 05-27-2013 at 06:02 PM