Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2012, 07:36 PM   #76
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,849
I made some frame caps for my silver framed FZ6 and a few guys on the FZ6 forum were interested in me selling kits of them, so I am. If you are interested in a set, let me know.

For Sale: 2004 Husqvarna TE510 (Michigan)
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:55 AM   #77
SmokingBear
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Just finished my naked conversion.
SmokingBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:11 AM   #78
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 876
I dun got me an '07 awhile back fer dirt duties; great little all 'rounder.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:19 PM   #79
lake_harley OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by lake_harley View Post
When I first bought my '05 FZ6 I noticed a little bit of surging at idle. No big deal I thought, just a little out of sync, and rode it. Lately it has a stumble off idle, especially with just a blip of the throttle, and sometimes it "misses out" on hard acceleration, but eventually smooths out sort of like an engine loaded up and finally clearing out. The two problems don't occur all the time. I'll say most of the time it's just fine. Well, today, riding in town accelerating away from a stop I noticed the roughness off idle and also "pinging". Any ideas what might be the problem? The roughness, I'd suspect injection, but the pinging I'm wondering if there's an ignition control going bad. The bike has just under 29,000 miles on it. I have only had it about 700 miles and it appears to have been well maintained.

Thanks, in advance for thoughts and experience you might have had with anything similar.

Lynn
Called the local Yamaha dealer two days ago to ask about having them check out my bike. Told him the symptoms and he said they had NEVER had any fuel pump/fuel pressure issues so suggested I use some fuel injector cleaner. I bought a bottle of Lucas injector cleaner, put about 1/3 of it into an almost full tank and rocked the bike long enough to mix it in. Left for a ride and almost didn't get back. The bike died on me twice in about 3 miles. At times it sounded like it was running on 1 or 2 cylinders and then would rev up.....kinda like a loaded up engine clearing out, but with a more "dead" sound before it reved. At this point I think I might have to call another nearby dealer and take the bike to them. I'm afraid I'd be getting in over my head on this "new-fangled" injection stuff.

Lynn
IBA Member #49541

lake_harley screwed with this post 08-04-2012 at 09:15 PM
lake_harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:47 PM   #80
lake_harley OP
Studly Adventurer

Thank you for that link! There's a lot of ideas and similarities to what my bike is doing. Within the link you posted there's also a link to another thread that has a link to a YouTube video, and that video was about what my bike was doing (hesitating and then reving) until it got much worse (today). My bike was almost impossible to get started when it died today. Finally it would take off, even got it up to 8K at one point in a lower gear, but it always bogged with lots of throttle for a while and then would rev, or I'd have to ease up on the throttle to keep it running. I'm almost wondering if it's maybe some bad electrical connections on the injectors or (more likely) TPS???

I'll have to take another look at the threads to gather ideas, but one thing seems clear, the solution doesn't seem like it's going to come out of a bottle.

Thanks again. It may take me a while to get back to the bike to check things, but I'll post updates and hopefully findings that fix the bike. Maybe it'll help someone else through something similar in the future.

Lynn
IBA Member #49541
Old 08-05-2012, 08:51 PM   #81
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,400
I haven't read all of this, but how many miles do you have on your spark plugs? My FZ6 was really sensitive about plugs. Change 'em at 8000 miles, or else!

good luck!

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:37 AM   #82
Mathias52
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoBoy View Post

Great to see ya getting it dirty. I ride with a guy who does the same thing with his. he is about to turn 70 and he thinks his 07 FZ6 is a dirtbike.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:30 PM   #83
thorinoakenshield
ya mo be there

Oddometer: 446
nice!

Quote:

thorinoakenshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:43 AM   #84
lake_harley OP
Studly Adventurer

Reapirs done...decided to sell

Quote:
Originally Posted by lake_harley View Post
Thank you for that link! There's a lot of ideas and similarities to what my bike is doing. Within the link you posted there's also a link to another thread that has a link to a YouTube video, and that video was about what my bike was doing (hesitating and then reving) until it got much worse (today). My bike was almost impossible to get started when it died today. Finally it would take off, even got it up to 8K at one point in a lower gear, but it always bogged with lots of throttle for a while and then would rev, or I'd have to ease up on the throttle to keep it running. I'm almost wondering if it's maybe some bad electrical connections on the injectors or (more likely) TPS???

I'll have to take another look at the threads to gather ideas, but one thing seems clear, the solution doesn't seem like it's going to come out of a bottle.

Thanks again. It may take me a while to get back to the bike to check things, but I'll post updates and hopefully findings that fix the bike. Maybe it'll help someone else through something similar in the future.

Lynn
I thought that I had posted a follow up to my FZ6's problem, but apparently I hadn't.

I finally accepted that I wasn't getting the bike fixed and took it to a Yamaha dealer. Diagnostics pointed at a air temp sensor and a fuel pressure sensor. After they got those parts in, installed them and adjusted the throttle position sensor(? TPS), the bike was much better, but still not right. They then looked into what they termed "lost spark". They found one bad spark plug cap, and the others were not snapped on tight...doh! Performance is once again restored. Rode it home from the dealership...about 60 miles and all was well. I'm wondering it the spark plug caps were most of the problem from the beginning, but at least it's fixed.

Talking about needed repairs may not be a good way to start a plug for the bike, but I've decided I have grown the fleet too much (once again) and have decided to sell the FZ6. If you're interested in the bike, you can find the ad on the flea market and by clicking http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=824665 I really like the bike, but can only justify having so many bikes and cars around, and the FZ6 is just not getting used as much as I thought it would when I bought it. As distasteful as repairs are, I accept that things do malfunction and repairs are just part of ownership. At least the sensors and plug cap problems won't be someone else's problem now....all is good.

Update from additional service performed 9/20/12....apparently the dealership didn't quite get things right the first time. I ended up taking the bike back to the dealership the 2nd time, and after hours of trying various things the problem boiled down to spark plug wires/caps again. It's now been ridden 100+ miles since getting it back and hasn't had a glitch or miss. I do give the dealership credit for sticking with it through the problem and getting it resolved. They only charged me for a fraction of the time they actually worked on it.

Lynn
IBA Member #49541

lake_harley screwed with this post 09-27-2012 at 06:47 PM Reason: added update
Old 09-21-2012, 02:24 AM   #85
Bob808
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
To reduce vibration be sure that you have the original bar ends. They are heavy with a purpose. I've replaced the bars with FZ1 bars and that was huge improvement for my wrists, and to get rid of the nasty vibration at 7-8k rpms just sync your throttle bodies. There was a thread somewhere on how to build your own from clear tubing and aquarium tubing connections.
Bob808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:46 AM   #86
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,849
Quote:

I did the muddy dirt road thing a few weeks ago with my brother in law. I've washed the bike 2 or 3 times since then and STILL am finding mud in spots. Never again. The KLX is for that kind of stuff.

For Sale: 2004 Husqvarna TE510 (Michigan)
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:12 AM   #87
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
I did the muddy dirt road thing a few weeks ago with my brother in law. I've washed the bike 2 or 3 times since then and STILL am finding mud in spots. Never again. The KLX is for that kind of stuff.
See'in I ain't gotta KLX, 'n see'in mah other bike's an FJR, this iz the "dirtbike." It did take several clean'ins ta get the dirt & mud out, butt she did clean up nicely. (And now she all dirty again )
Old 09-21-2012, 09:19 AM   #88
Bucket69
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
I've been seeing a few of the FZ6's in the classifieds lately and they got my interest. Anyone put many miles on their FZ6 with a passenger? I need something that will carry about 400 pounds of rider/passenger comfortably.
Bucket69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:45 AM   #89
jsalman93
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket69 View Post
I've been seeing a few of the FZ6's in the classifieds lately and they got my interest. Anyone put many miles on their FZ6 with a passenger? I need something that will carry about 400 pounds of rider/passenger comfortably.
The fz6 is surprisingly smooth with a passenger. Taking off is a bit trickier, since the bike has a pretty narrow range to take off smoothly, but after 2nd gear it's smoother than butter .
Just the bike a ride and you won't be disappointed.

2006 Yamaha FZ6
1992 Suzuki Gs500e (in progress)
jsalman93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:46 PM   #90
jsalman93
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Bill View Post
There is a guy (killernoodle) on the FZ6 forum who makes new clutch slave levers to fix this problem. I have one and it works. In my opinion, this is the only minor issue with the FZ6.

Really, do you have a link or something? I would love to get one myself.
I feel the exact same way, this bike does everything really well in moderate comfort (might consider throwing some money into a corbin seat, or just eating a few more burgers for some ass padding). Very reliable (seen some with over 120k miles on the clock and still running), good looking, powerful, and fun to ride.

2006 Yamaha FZ6
1992 Suzuki Gs500e (in progress)
jsalman93 is offline   Reply With Quote