ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2012, 12:31 PM   #52621
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by z@ch View Post
For a bike they've been building since the dawn of time, Kawasucky has no excuse for that crap.

I always wondered that myself. My neighbor has one, bought new left over, put 4000 miles on it this summer and the whole top end went south. Kawasaki and the dealer said sorry so he had it rebuilt by non-dealer bike shop, Pinwalls

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:34 PM   #52622
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,128
In the search for the perfect bike, we are leaving my place around 9 am tomorrow and heading toward danville with no particular plan other than riding gravel.

If anyone else is game, we can make up a time to meet somewhere.

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:47 PM   #52623
mpenner
Heavy Cruiser

Oddometer: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
In the search for the perfect bike, we are leaving my place around 9 am tomorrow and heading toward danville with no particular plan other than riding gravel.

Got room for me? Should I load up some GPS routes? Is Mt Vernon a good place to meet up or do you go around that mess?

2001 KLR 650
2003 V-Strom DL1000
mpenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:56 PM   #52624
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,211
Quote:
For a bike they've been building since the dawn of time, Kawasucky has no excuse for that crap.
My Kawasucky Ninjette had a nut fall off one of the connecting rods because it was not torqued properly. I found the nut and bolt in the bottom of the crankcase in pristine condition. :( Of course when metal fatigue set in on the other one it let go and caused a big mess. I have some nice pics of the mess after I tore the engine apart.

I need to find another engine for it. It's been taking up garage space since last may when it went kaput...
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:11 PM   #52625
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
Dust? Why is dust affecting your oil? Your breather should either be breathing between your air filter and cylinder or have a filter on the end or at least some foam in the tubing.
Microscopic contaminants are inevitable, it's not a closed system. The filters common to bikes are suitable for the size of dust that score metal, clog carbs and increase wear, but they do not normally filter the really tiny stuff. That's what your oil soaks up. The more dust you subject your bike to, the more gets in.

Send a couple samples to Blackstone some time, one after a dusty all dayer and one after the same amount on the street.

Hell, just look at the oil.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:53 PM   #52626
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,404
Quote:

I can't ride but do you guys have a breakfast plan, because I can meet for a little bit.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:54 PM   #52627
Jon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,071
Quote:

I am kind of a game time decision based on the weather since I am an hour and a half from Danville. What time is the new time to meet in Danville if you are leaving your place at 9?
Jon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:45 PM   #52628
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
Microscopic contaminants are inevitable, it's not a closed system. The filters common to bikes are suitable for the size of dust that score metal, clog carbs and increase wear, but they do not normally filter the really tiny stuff. That's what your oil soaks up.
Plausible, but I'm guessing no where near what comes through as blow-by.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:54 PM   #52629
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Late to the party....

Great ride yesterday! It was almost 10 and a half hours and right on 400 miles for me. About time for another oil change .

More importantly.... perhaps some of you remember my Buell Ulysses woes; the reason I bought my Tenere back in March.

Quickest recap ever: Very minor oil seepage... brought it in for warranty repair. Problem got worse... brought it in for more warranty repair. Problem got worse... brought it in for more warranty repair, this time they needed to replace the cases, which means engine rebuild. Next oil change found bearing parts in the tranny fluid... brought it in for more warranty repair, to get to the tranny they have to split the cases again, another motor rebuild, this time with tranny rebuild. {at this point in time I bought the Tenere, planning on selling the Uly whenever I got it back from this rebuild} 50 miles after I got it back from the second rebuild, it exploded oil everywhere, and was a mess. Noticeable minor issues, as well as the catastrophic oil issue. {Bike is still under warranty, closing in on 3 years old, 29,000 miles}

At this point in time I wrote up a report. One hell of a report. Diagrams, documents, images, time lines, causes/effect summarys. A 26 page report. I sent it to Harley Davidson, the local (servicing) dealership, and the dealership I originally purchased it from (and hadn't spoken too since, they're out of state).

My report (in as respectful a way as possible) blamed the local servicing dealership for all the problems, and expectedly, they were all pissed off and unhelpful. The dealership I originally bought it from was extremely helpful, but limited in what they could do. Then I got a hold of Harley. Things began coming together. They were understanding, supportive, and helpful! Long story slightly shorter, Harley asked how much I wanted out of the bike, they agreed to my number, and they bought the bike back! And not only that, they came and picked it up, check in hand.

So, out of respect for those that were helpful, I feel the need to name drop here...

AD Farrows here in Columbus/Delaware should be avoided for Harley/Buell work. The techs are incompetent, plus the majority of the employees have the worst kind of personalities. Sorry, but I've worked with them way more than I wanted to over the past 2 years, and these are my official findings.

Harley, like, corporate Harley, really pulled through and did the right thing. Sure they may make chrome couches and more clothes than half the clothing brands out there. But I had everything going against me; discontinued bike, high mileage, already bought a replacement out of the family, etc, yet they really came through here. I have a new found respect for the company. (Still no respect for the pirate/poseur Harley riders though, see South Park episode "The F Word")

And finally, Valley HD & Buell in Belmont, OH and Wheeling, WV. These guys worked with Harley to finish everything up and complete the deal. Great to work with, persistent, friendly... Recommended.

That is all! Carry on with your regular ADV convo's.

Mikef5000 screwed with this post 09-21-2012 at 03:02 PM
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:57 PM   #52630
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by indypup View Post
Oil? Damn I knew I was forgetting something...lol

I have to fill up with oil and check the gas in my '08 KLR. It uses about a quart every 500 miles... :(
It's that new feature kiwi built into it to best the Dr and xr, self changing oil.

No, it's not leaking oil, it's just sweat from all that horsepower.
Danjal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:11 PM   #52631
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
Plausible, but I'm guessing no where near what comes through as blow-by.
Intake boots of all my bikes have always been clean, but if I ride in the dust a lot the oil blackens faster. Tells me that the 1 & 2 micron stuff is making its way in.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:57 PM   #52632
steveb126
Adventurer Anonymous

Oddometer: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
Late to the party....

Great ride yesterday! It was almost 10 and a half hours and right on 400 miles for me. About time for another oil change .

More importantly.... perhaps some of you remember my Buell Ulysses woes; the reason I bought my Tenere back in March.

Quickest recap ever: Very minor oil seepage... brought it in for warranty repair. Problem got worse... brought it in for more warranty repair. Problem got worse... brought it in for more warranty repair, this time they needed to replace the cases, which means engine rebuild. Next oil change found bearing parts in the tranny fluid... brought it in for more warranty repair, to get to the tranny they have to split the cases again, another motor rebuild, this time with tranny rebuild. {at this point in time I bought the Tenere, planning on selling the Uly whenever I got it back from this rebuild} 50 miles after I got it back from the second rebuild, it exploded oil everywhere, and was a mess. Noticeable minor issues, as well as the catastrophic oil issue. {Bike is still under warranty, closing in on 3 years old, 29,000 miles}

At this point in time I wrote up a report. One hell of a report. Diagrams, documents, images, time lines, causes/effect summarys. A 26 page report. I sent it to Harley Davidson, the local (servicing) dealership, and the dealership I originally purchased it from (and hadn't spoken too since, they're out of state).

My report (in as respectful a way as possible) blamed the local servicing dealership for all the problems, and expectedly, they were all pissed off and unhelpful. The dealership I originally bought it from was extremely helpful, but limited in what they could do. Then I got a hold of Harley. Things began coming together. They were understanding, supportive, and helpful! Long story slightly shorter, Harley asked how much I wanted out of the bike, they agreed to my number, and they bought the bike back! And not only that, they came and picked it up, check in hand.

So, out of respect for those that were helpful, I feel the need to name drop here...

AD Farrows here in Columbus/Delaware should be avoided for Harley/Buell work. The techs are incompetent, plus the majority of the employees have the worst kind of personalities. Sorry, but I've worked with them way more than I wanted to over the past 2 years, and these are my official findings.

Harley, like, corporate Harley, really pulled through and did the right thing. Sure they may make chrome couches and more clothes than half the clothing brands out there. But I had everything going against me; discontinued bike, high mileage, already bought a replacement out of the family, etc, yet they really came through here. I have a new found respect for the company. (Still no respect for the pirate/poseur Harley riders though, see South Park episode "The F Word")

And finally, Valley HD & Buell in Belmont, OH and Wheeling, WV. These guys worked with Harley to finish everything up and complete the deal. Great to work with, persistent, friendly... Recommended.

That is all! Carry on with your regular ADV convo's.
That is great news Mike !
Old 09-21-2012, 04:07 PM   #52633
invisible monster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
Late to the party....

Quickest recap ever......

Wow, really glad to hear that your Uly saga finished with a happy ending. I remember seeing your Ulysses all tore apart up at AD Farrow when I stopped in there one time and have followed your updates here and on BadWeb.

I often think of selling mine because of all the reliability issues you read about on the web but have never been able to bring myself to do it because: 1 - it has been very reliable, 2 - it's paid for, 3 - it's such a fun bike to ride.
invisible monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:21 PM   #52634
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 714
Quote:
Thailand vs. Japan. Pre 08 bikes have very few problems other than than the doohicky. I know a fella that had a new 08 with no power & used oil like crazy. Turned out the bore was oval. I can run my 93 as hard as I want & it seems to never use a drop.
It's the same reason I'm skeptical of the CRF250L, but the Thai cbr250 seems to be doing ok.
ruppster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:23 PM   #52635
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruppster View Post
Thailand vs. Japan. Pre 08 bikes have very few problems other than than the doohicky. I know a fella that had a new 08 with no power & used oil like crazy. Turned out the bore was oval. I can run my 93 as hard as I want & it seems to never use a drop.
It's the same reason I'm skeptical of the CRF250L, but the Thai cbr250 seems to be doing ok.
My buddy's 09 doesn't have any of the issues others report; 30k miles on it now. He got lucky though, I have read of numerous with issues.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote