User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2012, 12:53 AM   #1
JD OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
How do you attach your Airhawk???

I've had an Airhawk seat cushion for a while now and only tend to use it on longer rides, which means the little elastic straps that hold it on inevitably disappear up under the seat requiring either a fishing expedition to coax them out or unbolting the seat.

So, i'm wondering if anyone has found a better way to attach theirs, and still be able to easily remove it?

Oh, and if it makes any difference this is on a KLX400R (green DRZ).
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:06 AM   #2
Drozit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Racing tape or similar will do the trick.
Fit the Air hawk with the sit off so you see where the strap sit ,than apply a nice bit of tape on to it .
Put the sit back and when you need just disconnect the Airhawk and the wrap will be in place for the next time ...works for me
Cheers
Max
Drozit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:14 AM   #3
mpillis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
Airhawk

I don't. No straps. Just sit on it.
2004 R1150GS Adventure
2013 DR650
mpillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:15 AM   #4
dddd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
I cant even tie the front strap on my seat because of tank. I only use rear strap and that doesn't prevent the cushion to flip back with the wind if ever I stand up for a second, so I would love to hear more attachment solutions...

For the rear strap, I dont stretch the elastic much (as I said, it just a safety attachment now), so when not stretched, it still dangles out. Honestly, this doesn't have to resit a hurricane. Besides, I hate so much those square unsecure clippy things that I have to twist to ensure they wont slide off that that I am about to make my own wire with hooks (a tiny bungee cord likely) as a permanent addition to the underseat..
dddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:31 AM   #5
JD OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drozit View Post
Racing tape or similar will do the trick.
Fit the Air hawk with the sit off so you see where the strap sit ,than apply a nice bit of tape on to it .
Put the sit back and when you need just disconnect the Airhawk and the wrap will be in place for the next time ...works for me
Cheers
Max
Sorry Max, you lost me there - what is racing tape?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpillis View Post
I don't. No straps. Just sit on it.
Would love to be able to do that, but I ride mostly offroad and stand up quite a lot. Don't think I would get very far without it falling off. Actually, there's an idea - maybe I should just strap it to my arse
Old 09-24-2012, 04:45 PM   #6
thetable
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Sorry Max, you lost me there - what is racing tape?
High end duct(duck) tape, tears cleanly, removes cleanly. Well, at least better than the stuff you get from the hardware store. I've used it a lot, but prolonged exposure to heat (at least with the sun beating on it) loosens up the adhesive and makes it a mess to clean up after; I could do a weekend on track and it would come off with no residue, but if I didn't get around to taking it off for a week in the summer, there was definitely some cleanup work to do. Gaffers tape is a little better, but still pretty similar.
thetable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:27 PM   #7
JD OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetable View Post
High end duct(duck) tape, tears cleanly, removes cleanly. Well, at least better than the stuff you get from the hardware store. I've used it a lot, but prolonged exposure to heat (at least with the sun beating on it) loosens up the adhesive and makes it a mess to clean up after; I could do a weekend on track and it would come off with no residue, but if I didn't get around to taking it off for a week in the summer, there was definitely some cleanup work to do. Gaffers tape is a little better, but still pretty similar.
Ah, so are we talking about duct taping the loose ends of the straps to the side of the seat, rather than the Airhawk to the seat?
Old 09-26-2012, 02:43 PM   #8
MadMax
Marveling...

Oddometer: 410
Knots

The straps are long enough on my seat that I just tied knots onto the cushion. When I take it off to wash the bike, I just take the seat off and slide the cushion off.

The knots keep the Airhawk secure, unlike the flimsy little buckles. I ride dual-sport, so I stand up some and need to know that my expensive bum-pad won't fall off, thus the knots! YMMV.

MadMax
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:08 AM   #9
miniboxer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Using velcro for airhawk

Hi,

on my drz, I used velcro straps, knotted to the frame. This way they couldn't get lost and on pavement they secured the airhawk, avoiding the original "hook-systen".
miniboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:42 PM   #10
Buzzo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
G'day.

I just place it on with no straps.. Doesn't move at all...
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:42 PM   #11
S/W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Airhawk

Yep, me too, I just hold it on with my butt. I don't use it much since I got a sheep skin pad.
S/W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:07 PM   #12
STUFF2C
We Ain't Left Yet!!

Oddometer: 2,482
I have a string looped though the front tie down loops and just tie it to the frame when I use it.

I stood up on a long trip before I started to tie it off. Flew off and a flip'n semi ran it over. Lucky me, it just broke the valve. AirHalk sent me a new one (valve) and I've been good ever since.

I never plan a ride, just the destination and that's always subject to change.
STUFF2C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:45 PM   #13
Blakduk
Just trying to get by.

Oddometer: 1,206
Ahh. I've experimented heaps with this problem. I reckon I've solved it. You knobs who reckon you don't even tie it on, that's bullshit. You must never stand up and must have seats the size of armchairs. It's not an Adventure if you never stand up.

I cut loops out of old bike tyres, about 10mm wide so that they are strong enough not to break, but not too unstretchy. I use four loops, one attaches to each corner of the airhawk. Then I use two bits of twine (or any light thin rope would do) to tie two loops to each other around under the seat. i.e. the two rear to each other, the two front to each other.

The tyre loops (Kind of like super strong rubber bands) sit against the seat edges and the corner underneath and the rubber/vinyl friction stops them moving backwards and forwards. You only see the black tyre loops against the (usually) black seat as the twine is only under the seat.

Takes a bit of fiddling getting the twine in the right place and the right tension, but works great. There is still some movement and flex in the rubber bands/tyre loops for you to slightly move the airhawk around if you need to, and to stop the Airhawk's loops tearing if you drag your leg across it, crash etc.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:25 PM   #14
muga
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Large zipties through the loops and around the seat.. can even use additional zipties to attach it to the frame if needed.
muga is offline   Reply With Quote