Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2012, 07:14 AM   #541
Jay S.
600cc Beast

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
I too am considering a "small sport tourer". The FZ6 and the GSX650F are high on my list. There is one of each fo sale by the same owner. Both setup with luggage and 08's in the for sale section.

Anyone ride both and can tell which is smoother at highway speeds? I briefly rode the FZ and really liked it and I'd assume the GSX would be similar around town which most of my riding would be. That and the odd day trip or weekend thrown in.

I'd love to own a larger ST such as the FJR or C14 but that's way overkill for my 10 minute commute and 55km speed limit.
I have never ridden the FZ6 but I own an FZ6R that I've put 15K miles on and I rode a GSX650F for an entire weekend a couple years ago. From what I can remember they both perform almost identically in traffic and commuting. The 650F was a bit more stable on the highway, but that does not mean the 6R is UNstable. I've done a week long, 3K mile trip on my 6R and it is just fine on the highway, 80mph+, for days on end. :) The 6R is just a little buzzier than the 650F at 80-90mph but nothing that is intrusive. I've never thought I needed to change bikes because of that. I did change the front sprocket to a 17 tooth and that brought the RPM's down a little which was helpful.

I'm not sure if that info helps but from what I know you would not be dissapointed with a 650F, and I think it is a very underrated bike. There are also a lot of folks who tour on an FZ6 and I've never seen anything negative that stands out.

My .02 cents...

Jay S. screwed with this post 09-20-2012 at 07:15 AM Reason: cuz I dont spel so gud
Jay S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:27 AM   #542
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,699
FZ6 and FZ6R are two entirely different bikes. The FZ6R is the XJ6 Diversion F with a different name for North America. Steel frame, different motor, heavier.

The FZ6 is a great open-road tourer, but makes most of its power above 7k on the tach, so it can be annoying around town. I say this after 23k miles over two years living in downtown minneapolis.

The FZ6 also suffers from significantly under-sprung forks. My plan for the winter is racetech .95kg straight rate springs and cartridge emulators.

Beyond that, very easy to live with. 27k valve intervals and mine were in spec at the first one. chain, sprockets, tires, oil, filter, air filter.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:22 AM   #543
Jay S.
600cc Beast

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
Indeed.

I've been sticking with middleweights since now that I want one, the old ST2/Sprint 955/VFR segment is gone.

I've given up on Honda, they've totally lost the plot. I can't see Ducati going back there. I hope hope hope hope hope that Triumph drops the Tiger 800 motor into a Sprint package. Though I bet they'll just let the base 800 with a 19" front 'fill' that segment.

The BMW F800ST gets really close but then doesn't, I wanted to like that bike on paper but riding it just didn't do much for me.
I agree. When I got into sport-touring I thought it was a natural progression to end up on a big bike such as a Concours, FJR, etc. But after 2 solid years and a few multi-day trips, I will likely stay on a middleweight for a long time. The only thing that may change my mind would be my wife coming along.

I even considered the new Ninja 1000 or the GSX1250F, but my 600 just keeps getting the job done. :)

Price has kept me away from the F800ST but I would consider an FZ8 if uppers and lowers were available in the future.

For now I will ride my 6R until the wheels fall off. Maybe give it to my daughter in a few years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-20-2012, 11:06 AM   #544
Disco Stu
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Oddometer: 5,223
I gotta say, my k1200rs has been spoiling me. I have a 55 mile roundtrip commute and usually mix it up between my R1150GS, my Aprilia Futura and my wife's Norge. But the last 6 days, I've ridden nothing but Klaudia (the k1200rs). I forced myself to ride the 1150GS today because it was feeling left-out.

that instantaneous roll-on of the k motor at freeway passing speeds has gotten pretty addictive.
Disco Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:15 AM   #545
Mr. Magoo
Follow me; I'm lost!

Oddometer: 4,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Stu View Post

that instantaneous roll-on of the k motor at freeway passing speeds has gotten pretty addictive.

No doubt ... I've certainly been enjoying that on the 16GT!
Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:40 PM   #546
andmoon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,185
Gen 1 fz1!
Old 09-20-2012, 03:37 PM   #547
YJake
Roaming

Oddometer: 273
I was looking at BMW k75 bikes when looking for a sport tourer but scored a deal on a bandit 1200 that already and givi side and top boxes for half the price. It is a "large" displacement bike but it doesn't feel very large compared to a Connie or fjr.

I scored 41 mpg last trip and with the power I have in reserve at 80 mph I consider that pretty damn good

-Jake
Old 09-20-2012, 03:56 PM   #548
Ohio_Danimal
Midlife Crisis Man

Oddometer: 589
Just wandered around the south for a few thousand miles. Averaged over 53mpg

I keep thinking after these years and so many miles I would end up on a larger displacement bike, but the SV keep making me smile. What a capable a rugged machine.

Anger is age, hell bent.
Ohio_Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:54 PM   #549
ka5ysy
Doug

Oddometer: 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
I too am considering a "small sport tourer". The FZ6 and the GSX650F are high on my list. There is one of each fo sale by the same owner. Both setup with luggage and 08's in the for sale section.

Anyone ride both and can tell which is smoother at highway speeds? I briefly rode the FZ and really liked it and I'd assume the GSX would be similar around town which most of my riding would be. That and the odd day trip or weekend thrown in.

I'd love to own a larger ST such as the FJR or C14 but that's way overkill for my 10 minute commute and 55km speed limit.

How about this: R1200R. This one is my old bike. Great ride, smooth as silk and great handling. It is probably the best general purpose bike BMW does not promote. It can carry the same luggage as the RT, and is about 80 pounds lighter. It can tour and chase crotch rockets easily.

2011 BMW R1200RT
MSF/RidersEdge #127350, NAUI #36288
ka5ysy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:27 PM   #550
husqzilla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Looking cool is what it's all about...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnich77 View Post
FJR 1300?
Bandit 1250s?
CB 919 if you really want to look cool ;-)
Now we're talking:

husqzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:57 AM   #551
Sniff
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Now we're talking...

Nice 919 - that's about the perfect ST engine. I miss my old one. My Bandit has that addictive roll-on, but the 919 never lacked and was super smooth...

....and yeah, it looks cooler too.
Sniff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:37 AM   #552
DiabloADV
Semi-Occasional

Oddometer: 2,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka5ysy View Post
How about this: R1200R.
...except for that infernal wind blast that comes up from the tunnels at the front of the tank. Will blow your helmet right off your head. I ended up with a Scout fairing on mine. Loved it like that.
'91 Bill Holland Steel w/Dura Ace

'01 Z3 3.0 Coupe. The Clownshoe.
DiabloADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:43 AM   #553
tsperez
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Not many riders go for the sport tourer type of motorcycle. So apart from the fact that not many people ride bikes an even smaller percent ride the sport tourer. I guess that I am in that small percent since my last 5 bikes have been ST. All of the BMW and Honda type.

tsp
My Blog http://www.swriding.blogspot.com
tsperez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:59 PM   #554
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 593
Love it!!!!

I did the same frame sliders on mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by husqzilla View Post
Now we're talking:

Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:47 AM   #555
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,383
Last bike R1100RT. 137,000 miles, time for a new one. This time I bought the R model which is closer to my old airhead that I still ride.

I lost 130 lbs and gained 20 verry usable HP.

This bike is BMW to the bone!

This weekend girlfriend and I took it from north western NY to Bradford PA. I have a Versys I ride to work. Its been sitting. Bike is 3 weeks old and has just over 3,000 miles on it. Parabellum windshield, BMW bags that are only on when I go away.

When; it was just a couple days old

At Whiteface mountain in Lake Placid NY last weekend.

Its the one with the taller windshield. The other one is an 11.

On the way to Lake Placid, I started out in Deposit NY and rode route 10 from one end to the other . 159 miles of twisty roads, some in the Catskills some in the Adirondacks. The last 20 miles I really tore it up.
This bike handles and has all the balls I need.

Sport tour all the way. I miss the electric windshield and a couple other things, but I love the weight loss.

David

David R screwed with this post 09-25-2012 at 03:53 AM
David R is online now   Reply With Quote