Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Some peoples kids on bath salts.
fixed.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:44 PM   #1637
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,858
the rat bike on Pennsylvania gravel yesterday...

these cheap-to-build bikes fit the bill for this kind of riding. crosscountry in four states, then plenty of gravel roads, slab it home at 80mph before the deer come out to play.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:34 PM   #1638
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 2,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
fixed.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:19 PM   #1639
p0diabl0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
Quote:
i was riding at Michaux yesterday, just scouting the gravel since i hadn't been there before.

stopped for fuel on the way back, and a twenty something guy in a beat to crap Jeep Cherokee leaned out the window...

"does that bike really have 649 horsepower?"

"yeah son, it really does."

"oh, way cool."
No no, they're Vietnamese horses, which are like 1/10th the size of American horses. So really, 65 American HP, at the wheel
p0diabl0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:21 PM   #1640
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0diabl0 View Post
No no, they're Vietnamese horses, which are like 1/10th the size of American horses. So really, 65 American HP, at the wheel
that kid was on dope, couldn't tell pony power from horse power on a bet.

besides, got the cop motor, so he'd have to go into rehab before i could explain the fine points of that swap.

speaking of horses, i nearly ended up underneath a pair of 1000 pounders today, report to follow.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:47 PM   #1641
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

a southbound see-the-world day, backroads and gravel through two states and 550 miles, and it got a little frantic there towards the end coming down off the mountain before the sun went down.

whoever said TKCs won't stick? yikes, kinda runnin' out of room on those lugs.

the price on TKCs has gone up over 25% in the last few years, now when you look at the cost per mile against the Big Block, it's nearly a tossup. the main advantage of the TKC is in long range travel where it's inconvenient to run out of tire.

i ran through some deep water crossings today and i'm not sure i would have gotten out of those without a blocky tread rear.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:31 AM   #1642
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

had the bike up on the lift yesterday for an oil change and wipe down, always a good way to check the bike over since i have two trips coming up. i can see some changes that need to be made on some OEM assemblies on the bike that simply will not stand up to the hammering the bike gets on rough gravel and two track. i did not see these problems after the TAT, CDR, and up into the Yukon last season, it's only been after another 2000 miles of pounding on the local gravel, much rougher on average than the western and northern roads on that route.

no changes until after the season, except that i got around to mounting the ADV plate that i had misplaced in my messy shop, now found in my much cleaner shop as of yesterday afternoon.

almost 24,000 miles on the bike after the build, it's been out there and back.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:17 AM   #1643
ktmklx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
Sooooo JD,

Ya gonna let us know what these OEM assemblies these are?
ktmklx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:32 PM   #1644
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmklx View Post
Sooooo JD,

Ya gonna let us know what these OEM assemblies these are?
well, mostly all the stuff i haven't changed already. all the rat bike parts, both swapped in and fabricated, are performing well. i can always see the need for improvements, but overall, the thing is a for real beast.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:18 PM   #1645
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

i've got about 2500 miles of trips coming up, the rear TKC on the bike will make the first trip, but not the second. time to order a tire, and i decided to try a Full Bore.

from the right, new FB 150/70-17, Shinko 705 150/70-17, and a Tourance 130/80-17 just for comparison.

the FB is supposed to be designed and manufactured by the same people as the Shinko, and it's pretty obvious. the tread blocks are identical except for spacing, with the Shinko having 5mm spacing in the center, while the FB has 10mm. the Tourance tread block spacing is similar to the Shinko, except fewer blocks. the photo shows the unmounted FB to be a larger diameter in the same size, but used, Shinko, and almost exactly the same as the used 130/80. the tires are spread open the same at the beads, so it will be interesting to measure it when mounted.

a report on the FB performance to follow, plenty of gravel coming up.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:45 PM   #1646
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Full Bore mounted.

this is a heavy sidewall tire, and mounts accordingly. helps to have it warmed up.

the tire measures larger than the calculated diameter at sidewall rated inflation pressure, and approximately 18mm larger than an inflated TKC on the same wheel. it even looks bigger on the bike.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:51 AM   #1647
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Quote:
Full Bore mounted.

this is a heavy sidewall tire, and mounts accordingly. helps to have it warmed up.

the tire measures larger than the calculated diameter at sidewall rated inflation pressure, and approximately 18mm larger than an inflated TKC on the same wheel. it even looks bigger on the bike.
Just to reaffirm,that is the 150-70?I am considering FB for my GS build.The biggest tire I know I can get in there is a 150-70 sport bike tire.I'm thinking the FB may be a no go.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:41 AM   #1648
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Just to reaffirm,that is the 150-70?I am considering FB for my GS build.The biggest tire I know I can get in there is a 150-70 sport bike tire.I'm thinking the FB may be a no go.
150/70-17

if you can fit a 150/70, this tire should work unless you have NO additional room against the swingarm, for instance. the swingarm on this bike is the late model ER6 with the OEM hugger like guard, and this tire is closer to the block off plate. it will be fine unless i find myself ass deep in mud.

the FB looks good, and is heavier in construction than the Tourance. i'll have a better idea on the performance in a week or so. i had to get away from running the TKCs on trips where i have a good handle on the gravel road conditions, good tires, but the price has jumped.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:35 PM   #1649
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Quote:
150/70-17

if you can fit a 150/70, this tire should work unless you have NO additional room against the swingarm, for instance. the swingarm on this bike is the late model ER6 with the OEM hugger like guard, and this tire is closer to the block off plate. it will be fine unless i find myself ass deep in mud.

the FB looks good, and is heavier in construction than the Tourance. i'll have a better idea on the performance in a week or so. i had to get away from running the TKCs on trips where i have a good handle on the gravel road conditions, good tires, but the price has jumped.
The problem is the chain clearance on one side and the caliper anti rotation brace on the other side.I made a 160-60 fit on my daily rider but I have problems with the chain cutting the tire side ridge.I even botched the plastic chain guard.No hugger on my bikes.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:10 PM   #1650
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
The problem is the chain clearance on one side and the caliper anti rotation brace on the other side.I made a 160-60 fit on my daily rider but I have problems with the chain cutting the tire side ridge.I even botched the plastic chain guard.No hugger on my bikes.
the 150, on average should be about .5" narrower and 1" taller, so if you can swing that increased radius, it might go.

if close, you should look up the spec sheet on the exact tire, they're all different.