Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2012, 08:17 PM   #1291
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 73,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by g容g View Post
maybe Schumi can cut into the 40 point lead Rosberg has on him
When do you suppose Rosberg will start cutting into Schumi's 7 drivers titles?

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:24 PM   #1292
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. T. T-W View Post
I cannot for the life of me see why it would benefit Hamilton to move to Benz.
Money.

Athletes in all sports jump to lesser teams for a bigger cheque. If McLaren want him to take a pay cut and if Mercedes are willing to pay him, effectively, twice as much, then the temptation to change teams must be nearly overwhelming. (The preceding assumes that the Guardian report is accurate.)

The only thing holding him back is McLaren's year-in-and-year-out competitiveness. Hamilton knows his F1 history and has ambitions greater than just padding his bank account.

Hence his dilemma and the protracted negotiations.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 09-22-2012, 11:42 PM   #1293
A. T. T-W
Can't be bothered.

Oddometer: 4,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
Money.
Do you really believe that Sid?

Hamilton may be guilty of avarice but as his prime motivation? I don't think that's it. He knows that he could walk away from F1 now and build a financially secure future just by doing what Moss has done for years (just by being Stirling Moss).

No. I think that it's more complex. Possibly to do with his sense of being less important to McLaren than his ego can accept. I think that after the Alonso affair, he was convinced that the McLaren world revolved around him, the way that Button has been welcomed by the team and the way that Button has managed to fit in due to his apparent affability, has destabilised his view of his own place at the top of the heap. Perhaps he needs to feel he is the unchallenged number one? Perhaps he's noted the way that Mercedes has put all its eggs in one basket (sidelining Rosberg in the process) and thinks that he could be the next Schumacher with Brawn's help?

He knows that his future worth will increase with more championships. There must be something more than just money that makes him feel that his chances are better elsewhere.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:59 AM   #1294
g容g
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
When do you suppose Rosberg will start cutting into Schumi's 7 drivers titles?
Yesterday's news.

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:55 AM   #1295
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,183
It's really time for Schumi to say bye bye.
His double-wide tractor has affected race results too often by being such a dick to get past. How many races has he crashed out of this year? He's DNF'd more than finished for sure.
RedRocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:15 AM   #1296
g容g
Canadian living in exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
His double-wide tractor has affected race results too often by being such a dick to get past. How many races has he crashed out of this year? He's DNF'd more than finished for sure.
Agreed.

10 spot penalty for Japan.
Should have been a ban of course.

g容g screwed with this post 09-23-2012 at 12:25 PM
Old 09-23-2012, 12:54 PM   #1297
srad600
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Damn, that photo makes the incident look so violent...I know it actually was, but the photo really captures it. Is it me or are the cars seemingly more prone to failure the last few races? Maybe the engineers are trying a little too hard to improve performance...
srad600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:00 PM   #1298
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 865
Read that he lost brake pressure and when he went to slam the pedal it locked up.
Clem Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:48 PM   #1299
bobobob
badbadbad

Oddometer: 4,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by srad600 View Post
Damn, that photo makes the incident look so violent...I know it actually was, but the photo really captures it. Is it me or are the cars seemingly more prone to failure the last few races? Maybe the engineers are trying a little too hard to improve performance...
No, it's not just you. Even the commentators are talking about it.

Gordo needs to send Michael an invite to NASCRASH.

It is just a bunch of inner tubes Roy . . . - Cannonshot
Growing old is compulsory - growing up is optional. - Haroon
bobobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:31 PM   #1300
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g容g View Post
Yesterday's news.
Today's news: Kimi 6th. The Lotus watch goes on.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 09-23-2012, 08:32 PM   #1301
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. T. T-W View Post
Do you really believe that Sid?

Hamilton may be guilty of avarice but as his prime motivation? I don't think that's it. He knows that he could walk away from F1 now and build a financially secure future just by doing what Moss has done for years (just by being Stirling Moss).

No. I think that it's more complex. Possibly to do with his sense of being less important to McLaren than his ego can accept. I think that after the Alonso affair, he was convinced that the McLaren world revolved around him, the way that Button has been welcomed by the team and the way that Button has managed to fit in due to his apparent affability, has destabilised his view of his own place at the top of the heap. Perhaps he needs to feel he is the unchallenged number one? Perhaps he's noted the way that Mercedes has put all its eggs in one basket (sidelining Rosberg in the process) and thinks that he could be the next Schumacher with Brawn's help?

He knows that his future worth will increase with more championships. There must be something more than just money that makes him feel that his chances are better elsewhere.
Perhaps. And, of course, he has yet to leave.

But 20 million pounds is a heck of a lot more than 10 million pounds. It's a mountain of money, if the numbers are true.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 09-23-2012, 08:33 PM   #1302
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
Very true. And a clear driver error. But as you add up his DNF's, don't forget that many of them are for mechanical failure.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 09-23-2012, 08:38 PM   #1303
wxwax
Excited Member

Just a week ago Domenicali was calling for shorter races. One of his underlying assumptions was that the cars are so reliable these days that distance runs prove nothing.

Yeah, about that, Stefano. Cars are dying every week. Today it was Hamilton's turn.

I keep looking at the big picture and wondering if this isn't another huge break for Alonso. He gets 3rd and valuable points. The man who was closest to him in the points DNF's.

And the man who won the race has a car whose competitiveness is suspect on anything that's not a high downforce track.

I look at the calendar and I wonder which tracks are Red Bull friendly. I'm honestly not sure anymore. It seems to me the Ferrari will trundle through the last 6 races, earning a reliable C grade every time. While the Red Bull will oscillate between an A and a D, depending upon the track.

Should be interesting.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 09-23-2012, 10:44 PM   #1304
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,308
Quote:
I look at the calendar and I wonder which tracks are Red Bull friendly. I'm honestly not sure anymore. It seems to me the Ferrari will trundle through the last 6 races, earning a reliable C grade every time. While the Red Bull will oscillate between an A and a D, depending upon the track.
Certainly a plausible scenario, but if watching F1 has taught me anything, it is that things are wildly unpredictable over the short term. Alonso may find extra speed in the car and run away from the field. Or DNF the next three races and be out of the championship.

Right now, I'm betting Vettel gives him a hard hard run. He's got a much better car under him and if Alonso is a better driver, its not by much. He needs one good result with Alonso DNF'ing and he's right there. There are darn good reasons Vettel has won the championship the last two years. I think this race was probably the end of Hamilton's being in the running.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:57 AM   #1305
g容g
Canadian living in exile

Quote:
Today's news: Kimi 6th. The Lotus watch goes on.

Kimi shits in your direction...