ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 147 votes, 4.82 average. Display Modes
Old 09-23-2012, 04:46 PM   #5236
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
Sorry, I meant "mentally" simulating..... I just turned it on, loaded a route, and looked at the dashboard. No speed field. It never occurred to me to try demo mode. In fact, I'm not even sure how to, although I'm sure it's buried somewhere in these 350 pages....

I just hate it when my toys outsmart me!!!
Setup/System/GPS/Demo
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:50 PM   #5237
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
When the GPS is in Simulation Mode and you start Navigating a Route or Track, whether you "Simulate Driving" the Route or not you will see the Speed data field in the nuvi Dashboard.
Probably, but when I have my gps in demo mode, and load a route, I usually click "Go" then "Yes" to "Do you want to simulate driving this route..." to see what choices the gps will make.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:13 PM   #5238
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,886
Emmbeedee,
to you since you know this unit quite well and to the point, can i build large complicated routes that contain some unmapped sections that require switching to direct routing then back to auto routing once back on mapped roads all in the same continous route in Mapsouce then upload it to a Montana and will it run it as is like my 276c chartplotter will with no fuss?
thanks my friend,
frank

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:15 PM   #5239
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
Emmbeedee,
to you since you know this unit quite well and to the point, can i build large complicated routes that contain some unmapped sections that require switching to direct routing then back to auto routing once back on mapped roads all in the same continous route in Mapsouce then upload it to a Montana and will it run it as is like my 276c chartplotter will with no fuss?
thanks my friend,
frank
Sorry to disappoint you Frank, I'm not an expert on Routes. In fact, I'm not an expert on anything! Except maybe Blackboard, the LMS

I usually follow tracks since they're more reliable for my purposes. Hopefully someone here will have the answers for you.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:25 PM   #5240
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

ok thanks anyway,
anyone else?

Old 09-23-2012, 05:25 PM   #5241
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Emmbeedee,
thanks my friend,
frank
Ok, having said I'm not an expert doesn't stop me from making suggestions, does it?

I would probably break down the kind of route you're suggesting into segments, and use waypoints to help in the direct routing. That way you wouldn't need to try to get the route to work in both direct and auto-routing modes.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:33 PM   #5242
johnpitts01
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 836
Segments with waypoints. Pretty sure that is the method doc rock uses with the Montana.

DP. You considering the switch to Montana?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
johnpitts01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:39 PM   #5243
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

rupee. im always searching for the next big thing. lol
so far nothing can replace our *76 units as far as i can tell in regard to the way we use them.
now go get your feet massaged. lol

Old 09-23-2012, 06:42 PM   #5244
RomaDakota
29th scroll, 6th ver

Oddometer: 1,312
I have significantly used every Zumo from the beginning, minus the 220. Having the Montana for 3 days and a tank full of gas including offroad, I can easily say the Montana is the way to ride. Many of the Zumo limitations gone. Just to mention a few, real sunlight visibility, multiple maps and customizable... nice. Although not perfect, it does get close and the gripes are minimal.
Thanks for the push in the right direction.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:59 PM   #5245
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer: 7,289
Is map instability, rotating though different orientations, on my 600 while riding a map speed issue? I've tried different map speed settings, using garmin topo, and prefer north up vs track up.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:02 PM   #5246
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by katbeanz View Post
Is map instability, rotating though different orientations, on my 600 while riding a map speed issue? I've tried different map speed settings, using garmin topo, and prefer north up vs track up.
Quite a few of us have had the orientation swap issue, particularly when the unit is near level when mounted. Easily solved by locking orientation in the settings.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:09 PM   #5247
OceanMtnSea
Pretty Dogged

Oddometer: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I would probably break down the kind of route you're suggesting into segments, and use waypoints to help in the direct routing. That way you wouldn't need to try to get the route to work in both direct and auto-routing modes.
I have tried loading a large route into my Montana (Kelowna BC to Brookings, OR via Olympic Peninsula) and it did not work. No trouble creating the route in BaseCamp, but I just could not get it to load once I transferred it to the Montana.

In testing I found the only way to get it to work was to load it in smaller (day ride length) routes with start and finish waypoints and a couple of extras waypoints inbetween.

I finally went back and converted the entire route to a track and loaded my important waypoints so I could route directly to the waypoints if I decided to go off-track and then wanted to get to the next important waypoint.

I do not think it was a space limitation as I have 1/3 of my hard drive as free space......I just think that a very large route has too much data for the Montana to load and run efficiently. The brain can only handle so much.

J
Old 09-23-2012, 07:36 PM   #5248
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanMtnSea View Post
I have tried loading a large route into my Montana (Kelowna BC to Brookings, OR via Olympic Peninsula) and it did not work. No trouble creating the route in BaseCamp, but I just could not get it to load once I transferred it to the Montana.

In testing I found the only way to get it to work was to load it in smaller (day ride length) routes with start and finish waypoints and a couple of extras waypoints inbetween.

I finally went back and converted the entire route to a track and loaded my important waypoints so I could route directly to the waypoints if I decided to go off-track and then wanted to get to the next important waypoint.

I do not think it was a space limitation as I have 1/3 of my hard drive as free space......I just think that a very large route has too much data for the Montana to load and run efficiently. The brain can only handle so much.

J
The Montana is limited to only 50 viapoints in a route. Kinda hamstrings you when you want to do complicated routing.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:05 PM   #5249
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,878
Quote:
rupee. im always searching for the next big thing. lol
so far nothing can replace our *76 units as far as i can tell in regard to the way we use them.
now go get your feet massaged. lol

Wow, we seem to be all over the place on this topic.

Strait answer to your question is, yes, you can have a mixed (on/off-mapped road) routes and send it to the Montana but you'll have to have the exact same map set on the Montana as MapSource or BaseCamp did when you created the route (and yes, you can make mixed-routes in BaseCamp). Just have to remember to set Recalculation to OFF when you navigate your mixed-route.

Example of Mixed-Route created in BaseCamp on 24K US North Central Topo:

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:18 PM   #5250
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanMtnSea View Post

J
There are a few limits when it comes to Along-road Routing. As mentioned there is a 50 Via Point limit. There is also a distance limit which I think (haven't tested lately) is 1000 miles. If one does judicious placement of Via Points AFTER intersections they seem to not get announced and you still get the intersection shown in the Navigation Info list. I have to believe you can make a rather complex along-road route (maybe not walking) with 50 via points.

One trick I used when I had zumo's was to use waypoints for information and not route path shaping. This enabled me to have lots of Waypoints associated with the route. I used Proximity Alerts so that I would get prompts on the zumo.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote